TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

ECW's return to the ECW Arena - Live Results

The thing is...it's five years later. It can't possibly be the same ECW! Yet, the mutants seem to complain about every little change, as if it's sacrilege! Hey...you wanted ECW back, and they're giving it to you. It's going to take time to tweak the product...this past week's show was a huge improvement over the debut show, etc. Just enjoy the ride for what it is.

That said using "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" for ECW is retarded, since WWF/WWE ran that into the ground a couple years ago, and it's going to be identified as a WWE type song.

Alright, seeing something in the music folder jogged my memory of something...

"Motorhead's version of 'Enter Sandman' is better than Metallica's..."

Now, we all know WWE has had Lemmy and the band do a few songs for Trips...

We also all know that unless the Sandman comes out to Sandman, not only he, but ECW will get shit on by the mutants.

So, with the obvious chemistry WWE has with Motorhead, why not just get their version of Sandman and give it to the Sandman?

Alright, seeing something in the music folder jogged my memory of something...

"Motorhead's version of 'Enter Sandman' is better than Metallica's..."

Now, we all know WWE has had Lemmy and the band do a few songs for Trips...

We also all know that unless the Sandman comes out to Sandman, not only he, but ECW will get shit on by the mutants.

So, with the obvious chemistry WWE has with Motorhead, why not just get their version of Sandman and give it to the Sandman?

Because Motorhead is HHH's band. You could get any garage band to cover Enter Sandman for nothing but WWE isn't going to do that.

You could get any garage band to cover Enter Sandman for nothing but WWE isn't going to do that.

I actually think Metallica would try to sue them over that... the best you're going to get is what they have right now, and that's a wierd instrumental verison.

That said using "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" for ECW is retarded, since WWF/WWE ran that into the ground a couple years ago, and it's going to be identified as a WWE type song.

Heyman's got a boner for the Bodies song. He used it all the time when he took over OVW.

Either way Metallica will claim a shit load of money....

How did Pioneer get clearance to use the alternate version of "Enter Sandman" on their dvd's then, as they took out all the music they could be sued for. So, there must be some type of loopehole that WWE is just too stupid to understand.

Either way Metallica will claim a shit load of money....

How did Pioneer get clearance to use the alternate version of "Enter Sandman" on their dvd's then, as they took out all the music they could be sued for. So, there must be some type of lopehole that WWE is just too stupid to understand.

The Motorhead version of "Enter Sandman" was licensed by ECW for their "Extreme Music" CD, so they had rights to use the song on video compilations as well.

WWE either never acquired that license when they bought ECW's assets in bankruptcy court, or the license has since expired.

Seems like this show was hit or miss from match to match, however it sounds a lot better then what they have been using for the Tuesday Night Tapings.

The thing is...it's five years later. It can't possibly be the same ECW! Yet, the mutants seem to complain about every little change, as if it's sacrilege! Hey...you wanted ECW back, and they're giving it to you. It's going to take time to tweak the product...this past week's show was a huge improvement over the debut show, etc. Just enjoy the ride for what it is.

I also feel that it's too early to tell the fate of modern day ECW. This past week's show was a huge improvement and from what I've read it's because Paul Heyman was given more freedom to do as he wished. Hopefully this trend continues and once Vengeance is done with we can see what Heyman and Lagana can do creatively with this roster and establishing ECW as it's own brand.

The one thing I'm concerned about however is the talent that they are choosing to bring into ECW. Kurt Angle was fine. Big Show and Test however are not. Granted the old ECW had their share of big stiffs but there are so many guys lost in the shuffle on Raw and Smackdown who could really use the new ECW and opportunity to work with Heyman. I don't think the ECW mutants would necessarily shit on a new ECW at the ECW Arena if they were seeing guys like Jamie Noble, Matt Hardy, Paul London, Brian Kendrick, Super Crazy or Kid Kash. Even a repackaged Val Venis.

There could be an open door policy where anyone is welcome to wrestle in ECW or they could easily do storylines where talent walk out on Raw or SD to go to ECW, even the entire cruiserweight division. This would still allow some cross promotion between the shows. If London and Kendrick are jobbed out to Great Khali they can angrily storm into Teddy Long's office and announce that they are taking the SD tag titles to ECW next Tuesday.

I understand that they don't want to resemble an indie promotion but they need a larger roster, even if it's only a 60 minute show. Guys like Danny Doring, Justin Credible, Balls Mahoney, Roadkill and Stevie Richards are for the most part enhancement talent, although I'd like to see Stevie get a fair push. SD losing the names I mentioned above will do nothing to hurt their product since most of those guys are hardly ever on television. Matt Hardy is still ridiculously over despite being a jobber. They should bring in guys like Nigel McGuinness, Bryan Danielson or the Briscoes also. The idea should be to create a brand with a different style and more direct competition to whatever TNA is doing.

I also feel that it's too early to tell the fate of modern day ECW. This past week's show was a huge improvement and from what I've read it's because Paul Heyman was given more freedom to do as he wished. Hopefully this trend continues and once Vengeance is done with we can see what Heyman and Lagana can do creatively with this roster and establishing ECW as it's own brand.

The one thing I'm concerned about however is the talent that they are choosing to bring into ECW. Kurt Angle was fine. Big Show and Test however are not. Granted the old ECW had their share of big stiffs but there are so many guys lost in the shuffle on Raw and Smackdown who could really use the new ECW and opportunity to work with Heyman. I don't think the ECW mutants would necessarily shit on a new ECW at the ECW Arena if they were seeing guys like Jamie Noble, Matt Hardy, Paul London, Brian Kendrick, Super Crazy or Kid Kash. Even a repackaged Val Venis.

There could be an open door policy where anyone is welcome to wrestle in ECW or they could easily do storylines where talent walk out on Raw or SD to go to ECW, even the entire cruiserweight division. This would still allow some cross promotion between the shows. If London and Kendrick are jobbed out to Great Khali they can angrily storm into Teddy Long's office and announce that they are taking the SD tag titles to ECW next Tuesday.

I understand that they don't want to resemble an indie promotion but they need a larger roster, even if it's only a 60 minute show. Guys like Danny Doring, Justin Credible, Balls Mahoney, Roadkill and Stevie Richards are for the most part enhancement talent, although I'd like to see Stevie get a fair push. SD losing the names I mentioned above will do nothing to hurt their product since most of those guys are hardly ever on television. Matt Hardy is still ridiculously over despite being a jobber. They should bring in guys like Nigel McGuinness, Bryan Danielson or the Briscoes also. The idea should be to create a brand with a different style and more direct competition to whatever TNA is doing.

You basically want ROH with better production values. You won't get that.

I can see where some ECW fans are coming from though. It's an ECW Arena show, they aren't using it for TV, so maybe they thought they were going to get something special for the first time back at Viking Hall.

On the other hand, they can't be so naive as to think Heyman has the power to just reproduce 1994-1999 all over again when he isn't the man in charge anymore. The fans know damn well Vince is in charge of this re-birth of ECW, so in a way you can saw that the ECW fans giving their opinions vocally is a good thing because it will also help Heyman when he goes back in front of Vince in production meetings, about the expectations of ECW fans, and those expectations should be heard because you really do need the core ECW audience to accept and come out to shows, otherwise you are relying on WWE fans to accept a 3rd brand of WWE, featuring mostly lesser known workers and a different style that they are accustomed to. That is something that people overlook, is that Vince has basically brainwashed wrestling fans into thinking his brand of prowrestling is superior and everything else sucks, so it is going to be hard for him to basically send out the REVERSE message by launching "ECW" and saying,"Oh nevermind, different styles are good, you should watch this other type of wrestling too" To me that is going to be a hard sell, especially right away. The ECW fans will of course come to watch because of all the familiar faces, but beyond that niche, you really are taking on a mission to recondition the fans into thinking it doesn't have to be WWE to be good, which could take awhile.

It seemed like Heyman got his point(s) across to the crowd though, and the thing is, the old ECW fans are still going to come out to shows, you can bet on it, as long as guys like Sabu, RVD, Sandman, Stevie Richards, Guido etc...are there, along with new guys being developed such as CM Punk, and any other ROH or TNA guys they eventually sign away, that can put on good matches.

You basically want ROH with better production values. You won't get that.

I can see why you would say that. And you're right. That isn't necessarily a vision that can be sold to Vince McMahon, Kevin Dunn or any exec at NBC/Universal. Obviously I think workrate should be a more important focus for any version of ECW. WWE have no competition. TNA is the closest thing (although I guess you could say UFC but it's a different animal to me) and they have no clue as to what type of company they want to push themselves as. The one positive they have going for them is the talent they've pulled from the indies and ROH stand out as being different from what you get on Raw and SD. And I think it's foolish for WWE from a business perspective to give them that niche, especially after relaunching ECW.

WWE creative aren't going to turn Jamie Noble into the next Chris Benoit. Matt Hardy into the next Edge. Paul London into the next Ricky Steamboat. Brian Kendrick into the next HBK or hell even Ricky Morton. Johnny Ace is going to continuously let people the caliber of Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Jay Lethal, Chris Daniels, etc. go off to a competitor because they don't fit Vince's image of a pro wrestler. Well, if someone didn't challenge that image back in the early 90's, we wouldn't have had Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels. And even after that, Vince McMahon didn't have any interest in guys like Chris Benoit, Rey Mysterio, Sabu, Mick Foley, Eddie Guererro, Chris Jericho and Dean Malenko until people like Paul Heyman and Eric Bischoff used them.

You may say it's a higher production ROH that I want but to me it's just the logical role a relaunched ECW should be. It's true to what ECW was. True to their fan base. True to the development of talent, creating guys that can generate money for the future. True to the development of an alternative brand to Raw and SD. And there would still be room for bimbos, catfights, Zombies, Macho Libres, etc. You can still have wrestling and sports entertainment.

Heyman's got a boner for the Bodies song. He used it all the time when he took over OVW.

Cornette used it as the OVW theme song long before Heyman became booker or even One Night Stand I... they were using it back in 2002 at least.

I do remember Heyman had a boner for the song on Raw commentary back when Drowing Pool's label was advertising their CD like crazy on Raw.

ECW should be WWE's answer to TNA and ROH, IMO, but with entertainment elements and more character development.

Except ROH already does the whole entertainment/character development. ECW needs to be an etertaining quality wrestling program with compelling stories, engaging characters, quality wrestling(which is supposedly the draw of wrestling itself) and a sense of originality.

I wish I could have been there just to see RVD carrying the ECW and WWE titles at the ECW Arena. That's one of those things that I see and end up saying "well, it could be worse," and then it hits that we're still not even a month into this promotion's life yet.

"Yeah, these matches are neat and all, but who the hell are these people?" It gave me a feeling of those different promotions like WWA or whatever the heck promotion Hogan actually had a match for that started ambitiously but fizzled out. This one won't fizzle out with Vince's bankrolling it, and at least shows some minimal promise thus far. The PPV tonight and Tuesday's show will be massive.

I wish I could have been there just to see RVD carrying the ECW and WWE titles at the ECW Arena. That's one of those things that I see and end up saying "well, it could be worse," and then it hits that we're still not even a month into this promotion's life yet.

From the pictures, it appears RVD only carried the ECW Title.

The people who feel ECW should be Vince's answer to TNA/ROH/Indies hit the nail on the head. From a business standpoint, Vince doesn't need ECW to be some huge deal, if it merely maintained the ratings it has already acheived and at the same time brought the audience from TNA and ROH to a similar product, then it is a success. There is no reason Vince needed to create a third brand of WWE if it was merely going to be another WWE styled wrestling show.