TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

2006 Bored's College Football Pick 'Em Sign Up Thread

College Football is still two months away but it’s not too early to start a sign up thread. Welcome to Season 3 of the Bored’s College Football Pick ‘Em Contest and the stakes have never been higher. My goal this year is to get 40 people in the contest and have five conferences of eight teams. That may end up being a little over ambitious as after have 32 teams the first season I was only able to increase it to 34 teams last year. But I’ve decided to make things a little more interesting. Now the veteran’s of the contest already know that the winner of the Bored Bowl gets $50 cash from my own pocket (Vern Gagne won in 2004, AlwaysPissedOff won in 2005) and that will be no different this year. Now though I’m putting out a new challenge: If someone manages to go undefeated through the contest, that person will win $100 cash.

The only other change this year will be regarding the conference championship games. The problem I’ve run into that is that during Conference Championship Week in college football there are only a handful of games that week. Because of that this season I’ve decided to combine the Thanksgiving weekend games with the conference championship week games into the conference championship games in the contest. So now the regular season will be 12 games instead of 13 games.

Now for anyone new who is interested in signing up here’s a summary of how the contest works.

-Each week you will be matched up against another person’s team and you will pick a winner for 14 to 16 games that I have selected from the college football schedule that week. Obviously the person who makes the most correct picks wins the match-up. Ties are settled with answers you make to two tiebreaker questions.

-After a week is completed I post the Bored Championship Series Top 10. The formula for how the rankings are put together are very basic. There are three factors: 1) Win/Loss record 2) Correct Pick % 3) Correct Pick % Against (aka Strength of Schedule). Win/loss record and correct pick % are weighted evenly at 45% of your ranking and “strength of schedule” makes up 10% of your ranking.

-There will typically two deadlines for making picks, one for a Thursday or Friday game and then a final deadline for the Saturday games. If you miss the first deadline you can still make picks for the Saturday games but you obviously get no points for the Thursday/Friday games. If you do not make your picks by the Saturday deadline you will be issued replacement picks. You will be given the picks of the team ranked one spot below you in the BCS rankings. You are allowed to use replacement picks only once during the season and still be eligible to win the contest, although you can still participate in bowl games. You will not be eligible to win the $100 undefeated prize if you use replacement picks at any point in the season.

-Conference championship games are a match-up of the 1st and 2nd place teams in each conference. The winner of each game automatically qualifies for a BCS bowl.

-The #1 and #2 ranked teams in the BCS face off in the Bored Bowl to determine the winner of the contest. There are seven (at least) other bowl games to which teams can qualify for. The winners of those games will have the option of renaming their bowl game for the following year.

Speaking of changing your bowl game name, here were the posters who won last year’s bowl games. If you want to change the name of your bowl game, please PM the name you choose. APO you can select the sponsor for the Bored Bowl.

Bored Bowl: AlwaysPissedOff

Traditional Bowl presented by Adam & Eve’s Anal Lube: Kingofthe909

Jack Osbourne’s Oxycotton Bowl: Secret Agent

Lucky Strikes Cigarettes Tar Bowl: teke184

Out Magazine Bowl: Cuban Linx

Meow Mix XNXX.com Pussy Bowl: iggymcfly

KFC PETA Bowl: MarvinisaLunatic

Ex-Lax Toilet Bowl: SilverPhoenix

Alabama – AlwaysPissedOff

Arizona State – Spicy McHaggis

Auburn – Agent of Oblivion

Boise State - bravesfan

Buffalo - Carnival

Connecticut – SilverPhoenix

Florida International – Vitamin X

Florida State - Kingofthe909

Georgia Tech – iggymcfly

Hawaii – Will Scarlet

Kent State – JHawk

LSU – teke184

Maryland – MarvinisaLunatic

Miami – Spaceman Spiff

Minnesota – Vern Gagne

Notre Dame – Lando Griffin

Ohio State – Gert T

Oregon - nogoodnick

Penn State – therealworldschampion

Rutgers – the pinjockey

San Diego State – The Last Samurai

San Jose State – Agent Bond34

South Carolina – Cuban Linx

Stanford – Bored

Syracuse – CanadianChris

Tennessee – Art Sandusky

Texas A&M – Secret Agent

UCLA – phoenixrising

USC – Cartman

UTEP - Angel Grace Blue

Virginia – Edwin MacPhisto

New Sign Ups

BYU - kkktookmybabyaway (if needed)

Florida - Urban Warfare

Kansas State - Loaded Glove

Kentucky - Danville Wrestling

Miami of Ohio - Hawk 34

Michigan - Jimbo

Oklahoma - Vampiro69

Oregon State - Princess Leena

Temple - Ortonsault

Texas - UTBroward

I want to change to Florida State (if I can), and I'll send you the name of the bowl about a month from now.

Guest Princess Leena

May I play again.

I'd like to be Oregon State, if so.

I'm definitely going to be in. In fact, there was a point in time where I probably would have quit this board if not for this contest. I'm kind of getting back into wrestling again anyway, but I'll be happy to join as Georgia Tech. Oh, and if anyone's got any ideas for side action, I'd most definitely be down.

Guest Princess Leena

Also, if Spicy doesn't wish to have the Sun Devils, may I take them.

Sorry to be a pest. :P

The only other change this year will be regarding the conference championship games. The problem I’ve run into that is that during Conference Championship Week in college football there are only a handful of games that week. Because of that this season I’ve decided to combine the Thanksgiving weekend games with the conference championship week games into the conference championship games in the contest. So now the regular season will be 12 games instead of 13 games.

Thank God...

The difference between me being in the Bored Bowl and winning the non-BCS Lucky Strikes Cigarettes Tar Bowl was LSU losing to Georgia and one other "pick-em" toss-up in the championship game week.

Having a full week's set of games this year should allow me to do better in the Big South Title Game if I go there for the 3rd straight year.