TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
spman

Superman Returns

Yeah, BUT IT IS SUPERMAN.

Spiderman made $39 million it's first day. Granted, it was a Friday, but still.

That is a disapointment. Especially since the movie cost $350 million to make all together.

The movie cost 180 million to make. Where the hell do you come up with 350?

And yeah 21 million isn't great, but it's in pretty good teritory for a wednesday opening.

King Kong doing 9 million on it's opening wednesday, now THAT was a dissapointment. Especially with all the hyperbole in the press about how it could topple Titanic.

Straight from Entertainment Weekly:

$25 million (Nicolas Cage and Tim Burton's salaries from the first project)

$20 million (Ratney's and Abrams' salaries and preproduction costs for the second project)

$20 million (McG's salary and preproduction costs)

$204 million (The budget)

$19 million (Australia tax credits)

$100 million (Worldwide marketing, estimate)

It actually equals $388 million.

Yeah, BUT IT IS SUPERMAN.

Spiderman made $39 million it's first day. Granted, it was a Friday, but still.

That is a disapointment. Especially since the movie cost $350 million to make all together.

The movie cost 180 million to make. Where the hell do you come up with 350?

And yeah 21 million isn't great, but it's in pretty good teritory for a wednesday opening.

King Kong doing 9 million on it's opening wednesday, now THAT was a dissapointment. Especially with all the hyperbole in the press about how it could topple Titanic.

Straight from Entertainment Weekly:

$25 million (Nicolas Cage and Tim Burton's salaries from the first project)

$20 million (Ratney's and Abrams' salaries and preproduction costs for the second project)

$20 million (McG's salary and preproduction costs)

$204 million (The budget)

$19 million (Australia tax credits)

$100 million (Worldwide marketing, estimate)

It actually equals $388 million.

Ok, marketing and the previous films, I get you (however, I've heard the producer say that the 204 million is a false figure). Though shouldn't that 19 million tax credits be subtracted?

Good movie. They got so many little things right like the music, opening credits, and final shot to go along with the great story. That's why Batman Begins was blah to me; it got the overall tone right but lacked cool little moments (besides when R'as died, which totally destoryed Batman's character as we know it). Probably the 2nd best comic movie after V for Vendetta of the last few years.

Good movie. They got so many little things right like the music, opening credits, and final shot to go along with the great story. That's why Batman Begins was blah to me; it got the overall tone right but lacked cool little moments (besides when Raz died, which totally destoryed Batman's character as we know it). Probably the 2nd best comic movie after V for Vendetta of the last few years.

R'as Al Ghul is immortal.

Guest Askewniverse

Burton's treatment was awesome:

*pic snipped*

Zombie Superman? Edward Superhands? Or Venom Superman?

YOU be the judge.

He is KalEltus of Borg. Resistance is Futile.

On a related note, if you've never seen it,

I *loved* this movie. Everything about it worked. Routh, Bosworth, and Spacey were all great. Loved the revised title sequence and the fly-by at the end. I marked for the Gotham reference, but I'd have marked harder if the Mt. Rushmore in Luthor's model city had Zod, Ursa, and Non's faces on it, though. I'm just wondering how the hell Lois thinks she got knocked up, unles she started dating Richard White immediately after the events of Superman 2.

Yes, Superman Returns is the new Superman III. If you loved the original, you will NOT be disappointed IMO. This was a million times better than X-Men. They got everything right, music, acting, the cast, story. I mean it kind of felt like a remark of Part 1 so to speak since Superman is fighting with Lex, but they still managed to make the plot original. I marked out for Marlon Brando being used. I couldn't have asked for anything more. GO SEE IT NOW!

Burton's treatment was awesome:

*pic snipped*

Zombie Superman? Edward Superhands? Or Venom Superman?

YOU be the judge.

He is KalEltus of Borg. Resistance is Futile.

On a related note, if you've never seen it,

:lol: That is awesome.

"Braniac razzling Polar Bears."

And I love how the 'spider joke' ties up at the end.

Reminds me of the first X-Men movie. Very good, but kind of flawed at the same time. It needs a sequel to really knock it out of the park.

Routh was very good as Superman, kinda iffy as Clark. Bosworth surprised me, the acting overall was very solid.

The first half of the movie was better than the second. In later parts the Lex stuff really dragged out, and the climax and epilogue went too long. Singer seems to have a problem pacing out his climaxes (get out your gay sex jokes here please). I noticed it in X2's drawn out climax and here. Felt was trying too hard to make him Godly and holy and all that.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

This movie really disappointed me. I was influenced b all of the positive press and got my hopes up for this thing. I was really letdown.

The opening credits were really cool.

Superman's first appearance was really cool.

Alot of things disappointed me.

Routh didn't really have alot of charisma as Superman. He was a good Clark Kent, but I just couldn't buy into him as superman as much as tried too. There were times where he was so stiff that I couldn't tell whether or not he was really there or if it was CGI. He looked too young and fragile in the trailers, but he didn't seem as bad during the movie. He was more physically imposing in the movie and you forget about his young face when Superman's in action. His dialogue wasn't that good and he just didn't have the authority and overall presence that I've come to expect Superman to have.

There was no chemistry between Superman and Lois. There was no interaction between Lois and Clark. It made me wonder why the hell he even had feelings for her. It wasn't apparent at all.

Lois Lane wasn't Lois Lane in this movie. The scrappy character just wasn't there. She was more of a damsel in distress in this movie than a risk-taking, take-no-mess reporter that gets to the bottom of things.

The action was pretty well-done in the beginning, but there ended up being a lack of suspense towards the end of the movie. You can only watch someone fall from a building so many times before you figure out that Superman is going to fly in and save them at the last second. The action got repetetive and dull towards the end of the movie. There really is never a moment when you think anyone is in any real danger.

There were a lot of contrived parts to this movie also.

The whole scene where Posey drives the runaway car seems like it was done just to set up the shot of Superman recreating the classic Action Comics pose.

The scene with the gun looked cool in the trailers but in the movie it was like, what the fuck? Why do they have this big ass gun on top of the roof? How did they get it up there? It just seemed like a vehicle to showcase the bullet effects.

Lois Lane's waterfront property seemed out of place. It seemed like they lived there just to establish the seaplane and its later use in the movie.

The scene where they try to fly the seaplane off of the waterfall was contrived too. It was obvious as soon as they changed camera angles that they did that so you could see the plane fly over the camera. It was brutal.

Superman and Lex Luthor never shared any sscreen time together. Their showdown at the end was very anticlimactic. Lex kicks him, watches him get beat up and then stabs him kryptonite (they showed that part in the trailer already). It felt very hollow. Lex Luthor broke into his secret fortress, stole all of the secrets of his home planet, used his technology to endanger billions of people, kidnapped Lois, had one of his henchmen beat the shit out of her and that's all that happens when Luthor and Superman confront each other?

OK. So Superman gets stabbed by kryptonite and it nearly kills him. Lois and her fiancee fly along in the seaplane and pull the kryptonite out of him. We watch him practically die . Why do we have to watch basically the same sequence happen again ten minutes later? That whole part where he was in the hospital could have been cut out.

Speaking of things that should have been cut out, WHY DOES SUPERMAN HAVE A LOVECHILD WITH LOIS LANE? The part where we find out the boy is his ruined the movie for him. I have no desire to see a sequel solely because of this plot development. Superman having a super-powered son destroys the idea of him being the last of his kind and walking as an alien amongst humans. The kid also seemed like a convenient device in the movie because he was used as a not-so-subtle way of explaining plot details to the audience. After a while, it got annoying hearing him ask questions and having the questions explained to him as well as the audience.

The movie had its moments, but I was disappointed that this movie was what we waited decades for. We might as well have had the Tim Burton movie made.

Saw it today and really liked it. The end really should've been shortened though. Had slow parts, but was more fun to watch than Batman Begins. Lois was much more likeable this time around. I never understood how Clark would fall in love with Kidder's interpretation.

It looks like a bomb, which is sad, but I definitely enjoyed it.

I thought it was okay. There weren't enough action sequences and it just wasn't as fun as Spiderman or Batman Begins. Spacey was awesome, but I didn't like that he was pushed to the background for the boring Lois Lane-Superman stuff. The movie was way too long, easily could've shaved 20 minutes off of it.

The scene where they try to fly the seaplane off of the waterfall was contrived too. It was obvious as soon as they changed camera angles that they did that so you could see the plane fly over the camera. It was brutal.

Sure it was contrived but they do the exact same shot in every movie ever that features an airplane going off a cliff.

The movie had its moments, but I was disappointed that this movie was what we waited decades for. We might as well have had the Tim Burton movie made.
Yeah cause Nic Cage and a fucked up production design that kept none of the stuff that makes Superman what he is would have been better.

Having watched that Kevin Smith Q and A I am glad that the Jon Peters/Tim Burton stuff never got made. Cause that sounded really, really bad. It would have done for Superman what Batman and Robin did for the Dark Knight.

What was going on at Warner Bros. about 10 years ago anyway? Were these people completely insane?

I do not agree with a single criticism I've read about this movie. I enjoyed it a great deal, and was very happy as I walked out of the theater. Everyone's free to disagree, but I honestly don't see where the negativity that's being directed toward this movie is coming from. I thought everything worked, and am looking forward to seeing more Superman movies in the coming years.

I liked it plenty better after watching it a second time(just now). Acting seemed better and I picked up on a few things.

Probably because it was a really good seat in the middle of a regular theater as opposed to sitting in the bottom right corner of a massive I-MAX theater watching it with stupid 3-D glasses on that were blurry.

And because I was going on like 3 hours of sleep the previous two nights the first time.

Just saw it. I enjoyed it, but it ranks behind "Batman Begins." Kevin Spacey pretty much stole the show.

I do not agree with a single criticism I've read about this movie. I enjoyed it a great deal, and was very happy as I walked out of the theater. Everyone's free to disagree, but I honestly don't see where the negativity that's being directed toward this movie is coming from. I thought everything worked, and am looking forward to seeing more Superman movies in the coming years.

I agree with the Doctor. I saw this tonight in the IMAX (3-D!) with a friend who hadn't even seen the original Superman movies, and we all loved it. Great fun all around.

Probably because it was a really good seat in the middle of a regular theater as opposed to sitting in the bottom right corner of a massive I-MAX theater watching it with stupid 3-D glasses on that were blurry.

I agree with the Doctor. I saw this tonight in the IMAX (3-D!) with a friend who hadn't even seen the original Superman movies, and we all loved it. Great fun all around.

So tell me about the IMAX 3-D experience. What parts were in 3-D? Were they any good? I'd have to think that the excellent opening credits sequence would be amazing in 3-D.

So tell me about the IMAX 3-D experience. What parts were in 3-D? Were they any good? I'd have to think that the excellent opening credits sequence would be amazing in 3-D.

I saw "regular" and 3-D. The 3-D was just really annoying and hard on my eyes. Plus, you have to keep taking off and putting on the glasses and it really takes away from the flow of the movie, IMO. Not to mention the 3-D was spotty. There's tons of it in the beginning (not the credits) but then there's a break of close to an hour with out 3-D, then suddenly it's back again.

There were four scenes, I beleive, that wer in 3-D. The first was the flashback to Clark's younger days, the second was the air-plane scene, the thri was in the third act (involving lex's plan, don't want to spoil it), and the fourth was at the very end, with Superman flying. I thought it was VERY cool, and the 3-D aspect more than made up for the extra money spent on an IMAX ticket. My only complaint was that they didn't show the Spider-Man 3 teaser before the movie, as all of the trailers were in 3-D as well.

On intersting note- we were told that the las two seats on each row, as well as the first row, would not be able to see the 3-D effects. This ticked off a few peoples, as the theater was PACKED.

And sadly, the opening sequence WASN"T in 3-D, which amazed me untill I thought about one thing- the way things were moving so rapidly during the sequence, probably the entire audience would get sick.

I thought it was just okay, which I guess is a dissapointment. Brandon Routh and Kevin Spacey were fine in their roles. I thought Kate Bosworth was the weak spot in the cast, but it's not like she was horrible.

The opening credits were my favorite part of the movie, I'm not sure if that says something bad about the rest of it.

It suffers in comparrison to Batman Begins. I wouldn't tell anyone to avoid it, but I wouldn't tell people to rush out and see it either. I'll see the sequal if/when there is one, but I'm not exactly waiting with bated breath. The movie was just there.

Speaking of things that should have been cut out, WHY DOES SUPERMAN HAVE A LOVECHILD WITH LOIS LANE? The part where we find out the boy is his ruined the movie for him. I have no desire to see a sequel solely because of this plot development. Superman having a super-powered son destroys the idea of him being the last of his kind and walking as an alien amongst humans.

And that's my biggest problem with the movie. For some reason the idea of

Superman fathering a Superkid really bothered me because it kind of feels like a betrail of what the character was about

The movie was OK. Some parts I really liked (Routh was OK, Spacey, Posey, the airplane scene, the Donner "feel"). Some parts I didn't like (Lois Lane, the kid, the costume, the dragged out time). The main problem is that the Superman shows very little emotion here; he does have so little dialogue. He is pretty boring...and I love the character of Superman! I loved him in the first two movies; Reeve and Donner and the script made him work!

A nice try but they fell short. See it in Imax if you're going to see it at all!