Transformers The Movie

First Shots of Optimus Prime

hedudegg2mc3.jpgopamrlrs9ao1.jpg

And here's a Q&A from the writers of the movie:

Chat Begins:

Teaser Trailer Shown First

Character Names:

Autobots:

Optimus Prime - Classic Prime type character. True hero of the Autobots.

Bumblebee - Underdog type character. The scout. Smallest of the gang. (Spike mentioned)

Jazz - Rock n' roll style character.

Ratchet - New form. Emergency vehicle. Medical officer/Science officer. Repairs Transformers injured in battle.

Ironhide - Optimus' oldest friend. Gritty

Decepticons:

Megatron - Survival of fittest. Less idealistic version of humanity.

Starscream - 2-faced. Secretly plotting to overthrow Megatron. Doesn't neccassarily want Megatron's duties, but wants to be leader.

Brawl - Pissed off Decepticon. Heavy lifter. One of the first ones not from G1. More experemental with Decepticons. More G1 styled characters to come with sequals.

Bonecrusher - Closest to constructicon. Hates all other Decepticons except for Megatron.

Barricade - Hunter type. Cop car, likes to get to things first.

Skorponok - closest to a beast era type of character.

Frenzy - Character who evolved from Soundwave. Had contradictions to the original Soundwave, so they changed him to Frenzy. Smaller form. Stealth spy.

Blackout - Takes out ability to fight back. Likes to pulse blast electronics. First tier attacker. Transport, one of the biggest decepticons in the movie.

Question and Answer Session:

What did you know about TF's before?

They were fans from the begining. Wanted to do movie right. Wanted to make sure the things they loved from G1 made it into movie, such as Prime. Both big G1 cartoon fans.

What's the Transformers to human ration in terms of screen time?

Script floating around is not finished script. More Transformers action than what most fans expected. Very close to 50/50 in terms of screen time.

Why is Bumblebee a Camaro?

Needed for design changes. Character is more important than the "cloths". Bublebee will be very close to his original character. Close relationship with Spike. No cheating in the transformation. No size shifiting. What you see is what the vehicle is.

From a female - How is this movie going to open the eyes of fans who never watched Transformers?

You won't need to know anything about TF's to enjoy the movie. Fans will notice alot more and will appeal to them a bit more. Movie is massive. Approaching the film how Spielberg approached Jurrasic Park. Girls will like the "hot guys". There are cool, smart women in the film. Film for everyone.

Will Megatron insult at leat once?

Yes...multiple times. The relationship between the two will be much like G1.

Why are there so few Autobots compared to Decepticons?

Wanted Autobots to be outnumbered and at a major disadvantage. Makes it have very intense action scenes. Decepticons firepower far outweighs the Autobots. You will see and feel the sense and scope ofthe Cybertronian war.

How closely has Hasbro been involved in the character design process?

Very closely. Sat with the design team. Looked through all Transformers catalogs and talked extensively with the design team about what is important. Trying to overcome the perception of a "toy commercial". Tried to use the history to their advantage.

They talk about monitoring the boards to see reaction.

Who would win in a street fight Optimus or Megatron?

You will find out.

Why no Shockwave?

Too many characters, tried to choose important characters who could focus o nthe story. Door open for possible future appearance.

Laser blasts or bullets and missles?

In earth modes, they have earth style weapons. But Cybertronian technology (pulse blasts) come into play while in robot form.

Bumblee as a Camaro asked again.

Explained again at greater length.

Video Cuts out...Technical difficulties.

Fans will know first via TF movie.com.

How do you feel about Bay directing?

Great. They felt Bay was the right guy for the job. Was their first choice. When they pitched it to him, his eyes lit up. He wanted to really know about the story and characters. Bay trusted Orci and Kurtzman to keep the perspective of the fans. They feel Bay is keeping things great. Bay knows vehicles like no other director.

Can you tell us about any other voices?

Not yet. They called it a Work in progress right now.

That's all for now. They will be involved at Transformersmovie.com Message Board.

Contest coming soon:

Submit a line that Optimus Prime MUST say for the film. Winning entry will be recited by Cullen (Prime) for the movie.

Michael Bay will at least insure we get action and explosions....sacrificing a halfway decent plot and character developmont to achieve it.

And this one won't have Cuba Gooding Jr desperately trying to save it.

I don't like the Autobots being outnumbered, but that's just me.

That doesn't bother me, since apparently much like in G1 the Autobots are losing the war. It adds an element of danger and actually allows them to give fan service (Kill the Decepticons) for when a certain Autobot dies (Speculation).

Bacchus, have you seen this yet...allegedly, this is Bumblebee:

tf_movie_bumblebee_robot.jpg

Yep, thats the "to scale" Bumblebee that they used on the set. The finished head will be more like the cute little rascal in my avatar. :D

No doubt. I own the VHS and DVD for the G.I. Joe and Transformers flicks.

But I'm dying for a Special Edition DVD G.I.Joe The Movie. Especially if it has an alternate ending where Duke stays fuckin' dead.

I think I'm gonna have to buy this Transformer one too. I'll give the old one to somebody for Christmas.

FroGGer NeaL: Broke cheap ass bastard since 1983.

I don't buy Special Edition DVDs if I already have the original, but I may make an exception in this case...

I'm going to have to wait and see what the features are. A feature on how they got Dirk Diggler to sing "The Touch" in "Boogie Nights" isn't going to do it. I need something good to make me double dip.

Blackout, a heli-carrier of sorts, that carries smaller bots inside of it is probably the closest thing to Soundwave we are going to get (originally this was going to be Soundwave).

No mass-shifting? I guess that means Prime won't have his awesome trailer with his little helper inside. The Autobots being outnumbered 5 to 8 does go back to G1, because originally they were outnumbered, and have pretty much always been outnumbered (thanks to the numerous gesalts and the Insecticons).

Blackout, a heli-carrier of sorts, that carries smaller bots inside of it is probably the closest thing to Soundwave we are going to get (originally this was going to be Soundwave).

No mass-shifting? I guess that means Prime won't have his awesome trailer with his little helper inside. The Autobots being outnumbered 5 to 8 does go back to G1, because originally they were outnumbered, and have pretty much always been outnumbered (thanks to the numerous gesalts and the Insecticons).

It also allows you to kill off Decepticons, showing that even outnumbered, the Heroes kick ass :D

I just hope that they don't kill off my Starscream. :(

oh there's no way he gets killed off...not if sequels are already being planned...sooner or later, they'll have to have him do a double cross...the first movie should just lay the foundations.

Things please me when i hear them, but things annoy me.

Petter cullen back = good

No Soundwave = bad

Megatron

He looks evil and all, but he's not even remotely close to the cartoon. At least the others (thus far) are in the ballpark.