TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
luke-o

Clerks II Offcial Thread

Guest Vitamin X

I agree with just about everything Askewuniverse said about this film, all the same points. It was pretty good, and I think I'd also go and see it again.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

I loved it. I think it's even my second favorite in the whole series, after the original Clerks.

For me it's:

1. Clerks.

2. Clerks II.

3. Mallrats.

4. Chasing Amy.

5. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

6. Dogma.

Man I loved this movie. Not sure where it ranks on my list in the Askewniverse. Probably #2 behind Clerks just for the nostalgia factor. I would like to know how Jeff Anderson doesn't get higher profile acting gigs. His ability to tell a story with a facial expression and his deadpanning of some hilarious rants in this one are great.

Guest Smues

I liked it. I don't think I've ever heard 'porch monkey' before, I must live a lonely sheltered life.

Smues, I am with you. I have never heard of a porch monkey either, but my god that was funny in the movie.

Get this, I saw this at the lame Dixie Dozen theater and the sound kept going in and out. Then at one point the picture went out totally. Ended up getting free tickets out of it and eventually they fixed the picture and sound.

Anyway the movie was awesome. I loved it. Found it hilariously funny and also surprisingly touching near the end. The ending was spot on perfect right down to the Soul Asylum music. The soundtrack itself was excellent too, well aside from the goofy Silence of the Lambs song.

Guest JustPassinBy
I liked it. I don't think I've ever heard 'porch monkey' before, I must live a lonely sheltered life.

Seriously?

"Porch Monkey" is a derogatory term that has been used on blacks.

I'm surprised that wasnt seen as more taboo, since its actually an ethnic slur.

I might see this film when it goes to video.

I liked the first Clerks, but only really for Randall.

I hated the character of Dante. He was a total whiny bitch that I just wanted to be slapped in the first Clerks.

My favorite characters:

Randall

Banky- (He was Jason Lee's character right) I liked him, hated Ben Affleck.

Black militant gay guy..cant remember his name.

Jay

The rest of them I could care less about, although the girl from Chasing Amy gave her best performance since Dazed and Confused.

I think I'm going to buy myself one of those "Mooby" shirts and tape "Porch Monkey 4 Life" on it. Until I got the shit kicked out of me reminiscent of the deleted "John McClain gets his ass kicked in Harlem" scene from "Dir Hard With a Vengence".

Disclaimer: yes I know there is no such scene, but I figured that would provide the best imagery.

Great stuff. Will definitely see it again. Less "Hollywood" than Strike Back, but a very well-done progression from Clerks 1. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them make a Clerks III, especially with all the trilogy discussions.

Saw it today. It was pretty funny.. but I found it was draggy in a few areas. Some of the scenes went on too long and the dialogue was a little awkward. But in the end I think it was a pretty good sequel.

Seriously?

Same as Smues, here. This movie was actually the first time I'd heard the term.

I wonder if porch monkey is more of a northeast slur? Here in Louisville we more or less go with the standard terms that Randal also tossed out. That might be why there isn't any controversy over it being used in the movie. It might not be a nationally known term and since Randal kept assuring them he didn't mean anything racist by it the watchdogs don't really care.

Just saw it, loved it. Laughed my ass off throughout and got a little choked up at the end, was a great movie...even Anne Frank could see that.

End was good with the Milk Maid there, though was hoping for it to pull back a little more and have Shell Shocked Counselor next to her, heh. Also when that guy asked for a pack of cigarettes I was expecting to hear "Are you sure?" would have liked some more call backs to the other movies like Smith's did in the other movies, but other than that it was still great.

Guest Vitamin X
I loved it. I think it's even my second favorite in the whole series, after the original Clerks.

For me it's:

1. Clerks.

2. Clerks II.

3. Mallrats.

4. Chasing Amy.

5. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

6. Dogma.

My list is similar, just switch around Mallrats and Clerks II, and move Chasing Amy to the bottom, moving JaSBSB and Dogma up. funny the only two I own are Clerks and Dogma though, I've been desperate to get Mallrats somewhere, but it was on moratorium some time ago.

Seriously?

Same as Smues, here. This movie was actually the first time I'd heard the term.

The only time I'd heard the term before was on SNL in the early 80s.

It was part of an Eddie Murphy skit on Weekend Update in which he says that the Emancipation Proclamation was never signed.

He says that means any black person who's seen the broadcast can be taken home to be your slave, but that you need to say the code phrase first in order to see if they've seen it.

The code phrase was "Hey, you black Alabama porch-monkey! Come with me, I'm your master!"

Murphy says that if the black person has seen the broadcast, they'll come with you. If they get pissed off and yell "SAY WHAT?!?", he suggests giving them $100 and running your white buns off.

Great movie. Way better than i expected it to be. The Lord of the rings part was great. And for one time only, i actually could tolerate Wanda Sykes. That and the Ass to Mouth part ruled.

I really liked the Bollywood type dance scene. Brian O'Halloran and Jeff Anderson have grown so much since the first one... especially Jeff Anderson. The jail scene will hopefully get him some well deserved recognition. Everyone played their parts perfectly, especially Jeff Anderson, Rosario Dawson, and Trevor Fehrman (Elias). Fehrman seems like he could be the next big comedy draw in about 5 years at certain points in the movie. The only bad part about this film would probably be Kevin Smith's wife.

Guest Smues
Saw it today. Worth the $6.00. I'll be interested to see the uncut parts in the DVD release.

Uncut parts? I thought Kevin Smith said he didn't have to cut anything to get the R rating this time.

I saw Clerks II this past weekend, and it was hilarious from beginning to end. Elias clearly stole the show, and I agree with the above poster. He prolly will be a comedy draw, or if not and underground favorite like David Cross for example.

Don't know if it still needs spoiler tags or not, but I'll use them anyways. But yea, I can't wait for this to come to DVD already, I thought it was awesome.

For one, Kevin Smith's wife really does look like she has an oversized clit. She just has that kind of face for some reason lol..And if she does, that's even funnier, that he wrote that into the movie.

Best joke of the movie? The recurring Anne Frank joke. That was awesome. When he first said, of course, it was funny. But the fact that it came up a few more times in the movie was just awesome.

The one thing that I didn't like though, was that I thought the commercials gave away way to much. I mean, I knew that Dante had gotten Becky pregnant before I even knew she was the boss at Mooby's...that's not good. But whatever

awesome movie.

The dramatic interplay between Dante and Randall, especially at the end, was really good too.

I had watched J&SB:SB Saturday night after work knowing I was seeing this Sunday and was amused at the re-use of "$15 little man, put that shit in my hand" - was the guy with Ethan Suplee one of the same kids, just aged 5 years?

The dramatic interplay between Dante and Randall, especially at the end, was really good too.

I had watched J&SB:SB Saturday night after work knowing I was seeing this Sunday and was amused at the re-use of "$15 little man, put that shit in my hand" - was the guy with Ethan Suplee one of the same kids, just aged 5 years?

Dunno, but Suplee looked like he dropped quite a bit of weight since I last saw him in a flick.