TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
luke-o

Clerks II Offcial Thread

I know that I'm way in the minority here, but I love J&SBSB and Mallrats. I find both hilarious.

You are not in the minority. I love those two films, and they may be my two favorites of the series. I am going to rewatch Clerks this week though.

When Mallrats came out on video 10 years ago, I thought it was one of the funniest movies I'd ever seen. Kevin Smith was the first director to make comedies I felt like I was the target audience for.

My presonal list goes like this:

Clerks

Chasing Amy

Dogma

Mallrats

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

Both Rats and Strike back are hillarious films, but you tire of some of those jokes after a while. Although i will never get tired of Diredrich Bader saying "oh what a lovely tea party".

I really like the trailers and im really excited to see this flick. Only 8 days to go!

I can't wait for this movie to come out. I've been counting down the days. I've seen all KS's movies, including Jersey Girl and I've loved them all, except Jersey Girl (I have to watch it again to get a better idea of if I like it or not).

I hate when people say that they used to love his movies now hate them. Watch them for what they are, comedies you don't have to think about to enjoy. They are just there, no thinking, just watch and be entertained.

I love Chasing Amy the most. I first saw Mallrats and then Clerks so Mallrats was number 1 for a time with me.

The one thing that I really love about his movies in the Jersey Trilogy (yes it's still called that) is the fact that all the stories can be put in chronological order. They all have the same characters in them or named and talked about. It's a fun little bit of the story.

I think the biggest problem with Kevin Smith movies is that they were never intended to be watched over and over or scrutinized in the detail that us internet geeks tend to do.

Any movie can seem bad after you've seen it too many times.

Guest Vitamin X

I watched Clerks today with a bunch of friends who'd never seen it before. A couple of them are idiot art students, and they didn't seem to get a lot of the way the film was presented. A couple of them loved it though, and well, I realized while watching it that some of the jokes are actually a LOT better upon viewing it a second time, since you know what's about to happen and it's funnier to see why they're acting a certain way.

The thing that always struck me as hard to receive publicly with Kevin Smith movies is the way he writes his scripts. They're full of such unrealistic dialogue and the way they're delivered at times makes it feel like they're just reading off the page. The worst offender in the original Clerks comes in the scene where Randall and Dante are talking about the differences between Veronica and Kaitlin, where Randall first points out that Kaitlin is about to get married in the paper. The dialogue leading up to that was so overdone and convoluted, not to mention spoken far too quickly for such complex language, that it felt completely unnatural, fabricated.

I think that takes an audience out of a movie, and to a certain point, seeing Clerks 2 taking the road of "Hollywoodizing" an indie comedy is an interesting idea, especially if someone can clean up the script. Also, they're probably going to give this one a story, a plot.. the charm I felt the original had was that it didn't really have a certain plot.. there was an incident that was unfolding throughout the day with the Veronica and Kaitlin thing, but besides that, it could've basically been like just any other crazy day with them.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Bollocks.

UK Release = Not July 21st.

UK Release = August 18th :(

Oh and i agree, Clerks is better second time round.

where Randall and Dante are talking about the differences between Veronica and Kaitlin, where Randall first points out that Kaitlin is about to get married in the paper. The dialogue leading up to that was so overdone and convoluted, not to mention spoken far too quickly for such complex language, that it felt completely unnatural, fabricated.

I disagree, thats my favourite scene.

where Randall and Dante are talking about the differences between Veronica and Kaitlin, where Randall first points out that Kaitlin is about to get married in the paper. The dialogue leading up to that was so overdone and convoluted, not to mention spoken far too quickly for such complex language, that it felt completely unnatural, fabricated.

It's a lot like 'Kicking and Screaming' (the terrible Indy film, not the terrible Will Ferrell film.) in the unnatural dialogue dept. Except it's funny.

My favorites are in the order that they were made. I love Clerks and Mallrats. I like Chasing Amy and Dogma. And I struggled to laugh at all at JSBSB.

Going to see Clerks 2 on Friday night with my girl and a bunch of her friends.

Any movie can seem bad after you've seen it too many times.

Except Back to The Future's 1,2, and 3.

1.21 JIGGOWATTS?!?!?!!!!

Me too, i totally over killed that film. But after a break, it should be brand fuckin new again.

Joel Siegel walked out of a Clerks 2 critic screening. Opie and Anthony had K. Smith on the show today to promote the film and happened to get the mustachioed critic on the phone, where Smith laid into him for almost ten minutes for being unprofessional. Siegel didn't know who he was talking to and saw no problem not only walking out of a film (his job is to review films) but disrupting the film while it was being shown.

July 19, 2006 -- DON'T joke about women, donkeys and bestiality if you expect Joel Siegel to watch your movie. That's what director Kevin Smith found out when the pun-loving "Good Morning America" film critic stormed out of a press screening of Smith's "Clerks II," which opens Friday - an act that's sparked a vicious war of words between the two.

"Time to go!" roared Siegel to his fellow critics. "First movie I've walked out of in 30 [bleeping] years!" His tirade came 40 minutes into the long-awaited Weinstein Company sequel to Smith's 1994 cult classic about two foul-mouthed Long Island convenience store clerks who razz customers and goof off.

In the scene that sent Siegel to the exit, the characters graphically discuss hiring a woman to perform sexual favors on a donkey. Siegel told Page Six: "It was so foul and mean and repulsive. I finally realized I could not say anything positive . . . I wasn't ready for this kind of smut . . . I hope he doesn't make any more movies."

An apoplectic Smith fired back on his MySpace blog: "Getting a bad review from Siegel is like a badge of honor. This is the guy who stole his mustachioed-critic shtick from Gene Shalit years ago, and still refuses to give it back. This is a guy who seemingly prides himself on his own nyuk-nyuk wordplay. For 'Pirates 2,' he made us all titter with 'Yo, Ho, Ho and a Bottle of Fun' . . . He made us squeal with delight when he wrote, 'Wheelie Good Time for "Cars." ' I mean, Fozzy [bleeping] Bear laughs at this guy."

And there's more: "I don't need Joel Siegel to [bleep] my [bleep] the way he apparently [bleeps] M. Night Shyamalan's, gushing over his flick ['The Lady in the Water'] before he's even seen it, but [bleep] man, man - how about a little common [bleeping] courtesy? You never, never disrupt a movie, simply because you don't like it. Cardinal rule of moviegoing: Shut your [bleeping] mouth while the movie's playing.

"I don't come down to your job and slap the taste out of your mouth for coming up with a line like, ' "Shark Tale" Is a Halibut Good Time' - so don't [bleep] with my stuff while it's still screening . . . What are you, a 12-year-old boy cutting loose with your pals at a Friday night screening of 'Scary Movie' 4' while your parents are in a theater down the hall watching 'The Devil Wears Prada'? Leave the diva-like behavior and drama-queen antics to the movie stars, not the movie reviewer, ya' rude-ass [bleep]."

Guest JumpinJackFlash

So there's more than one goofy moustache movie critic. Shalit or Siegel...I get them mixed up!

:D

The thing that always struck me as hard to receive publicly with Kevin Smith movies is the way he writes his scripts. They're full of such unrealistic dialogue and the way they're delivered at times makes it feel like they're just reading off the page. The worst offender in the original Clerks comes in the scene where Randall and Dante are talking about the differences between Veronica and Kaitlin, where Randall first points out that Kaitlin is about to get married in the paper. The dialogue leading up to that was so overdone and convoluted, not to mention spoken far too quickly for such complex language, that it felt completely unnatural, fabricated.

You have to accept the movie for what it is...a guy making what is essentially a home movie late at night with a bunch of his friends. The fact that anyone ever saw it, let alone it launched his career, became a cult classic, and is now having a sequel released over a decade later is a total fluke. Sure it has bad acting and a shitty script is a given, but its hard not to love it because it was so unique.

Woooooow, this movie was eight different kinds of awesome. It's certainly not better then the original, but it's definitely the #2 Kevin Smith film for me. It's really not at all like the first movie, but this is the first time in years that I've laughed myself to tears during a film. There is just so much fucked up shit int his movie you won't even believe it. It's also poignant look at life for an entire generation of us who are basically far less witty versions of the characters in the film. Great great movie.

Saw this today. I liked it better than Dogma and J&SB, but the other three were better. Probably because it's harder for me to relate to guys in the early thirties though.

Guest Skironox

Just got back from it, great movie. Lots of laughs, dispersed with social commentary. It was made about as well as it could given the source material and the different contexts of both movies. Defintely Smith's best work in years.

Just got back.

Hilarious~!

Kevin Smith is Back!!!

Dunno what trailers everyone else got, but the ones we got sucked hard, except for the trailer for the next broken lizard's flick Beerfest!!!

Guest Askewniverse

I went to the first showing at my local theater. I liked the movie a lot, but the poor theater experience nearly ruined it for me. The manager gave out free movie passes to everyone as an apology, so I'll use it to watch Clerks II again.

For now, I'd rank it above Dogma and J&SBSB, but below the first three. My opinion will probably change after I see Clerks II a few more times.

Random thoughts and opinions:

- I liked Jay and Silent Bob being clean. It's a nice reflection of Jason Mewes' sobriety.

- I liked Randal's anti-LOTR stuff. "Even the damn trees walked!"

- "Pillow Pants" was gold. Randal's reaction made it that much better.

- Jay's "Thanks, pickle fucker" was great.

- I loved Randal's "Porch Monkey" rant at Mooby's. The "Porch Monkey 4 Life" on the back of his uniform was a nice touch.

- I liked Jay looking up into the air and saying "Lord?" after hearing Becky's voice.

- If you missed it, the number 37 appeared on the fire truck.

- I loved the ending. The milk maid was the icing on the cake.

- Jay's "tuck back" came out of nowhere.

- I didn't really like the "ABC" dance sequence. It felt out of place.

- Aside from a few lines, I didn't like the donkey show scene.

Why do people rank Dogma so low? I always ran my enjoyment (from top to bottom) as Chasing, Clerks, Dogma, Rats, and Strike Back. The first two have always held up to repeat viewings for myself, the third and forth I can watch every few months on a whim, and the fifth has really not worn well with age, even though I loved it when it first came out.

I will be seeing Clerks II probably on Sunday.

(Oh, and ranking it third isn't really me saying it's low, but it is a distant third after Clerks (while I put Dogma and Rats fairly even and Strike Back a step or two lower)

and for shits and giggles...my top five favorite ViewAskew characters...

1. Randall Graves

2. Brody Bruce

3. Banky Edwards

4. Alyssa Jones

5. Jay (and Silent Bob, too)

I haven't seen the movie yet (but I plan to), but I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a song from the trailer.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/weinstein/cl...erks2/trailer2/

I was wondering what the name of the song is after they show the MGM logo. It plays through out the "Never before...have so many...done so little...and gone so far". You get the drift.

But does anyone know the name to that song?

I was surprised by how touching the film was- it's bust out loud funny,

I think Randal's 'Porch Monkey' rant kept me laughing a good 5 minutes

But I really got moved by the film and the characters, might have as much emotional depth since "Chasing Amy", I'll easily see this again.

Guest Askewniverse
Why do people rank Dogma so low? I always ran my enjoyment (from top to bottom) as Chasing, Clerks, Dogma, Rats, and Strike Back. The first two have always held up to repeat viewings for myself, the third and forth I can watch every few months on a whim, and the fifth has really not worn well with age, even though I loved it when it first came out.

In my case, Dogma is ranked lower simply because I prefer the other movies. The lack of a great VA character (such as Randal, Brodie, or Banky) is probably the main reason I like Dogma less than the first three and Clerks II.

I loved J&SBSB the first time I watched it, but it doesn't hold up as well as the other movies. I like Jay and Bob, but I always thought they were better as supporting characters.

I was surprised by how touching the film was- it's bust out loud funny,

I think Randal's 'Porch Monkey' rant kept me laughing a good 5 minutes

Yeah, I was pretty surprised too. The jail scene was good. Randal reaching out to Dante was probably the most heartfelt moment from a VA movie.

Randal talking about his grandma was pretty good too. "Come to think of it, she may have been a bit racist."

I got a kick out of the 'ABC' musical dance scene, yes it's over the top but it was a real joyfull scene. I have a theory that Smith made this film as a response to critics who say "he can't stretch as a filmmaker, he needs to branch out- MAKE GREEN HORNET- he's saying, I like where I am in my own little place, it's home"