TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
luke-o

Clerks II Offcial Thread

The dramatic interplay between Dante and Randall, especially at the end, was really good too.

I had watched J&SB:SB Saturday night after work knowing I was seeing this Sunday and was amused at the re-use of "$15 little man, put that shit in my hand" - was the guy with Ethan Suplee one of the same kids, just aged 5 years?

Dunno, but Suplee looked like he dropped quite a bit of weight since I last saw him in a flick.

They made a bunch of jokes about that in the Mallrats SE, when they had the cast reunion / Q&A session.

He went from being a big fat fuck in Mallrats and American History X to looking somewhat normal.

Here in PA, the people who collect carts at grocery stores are often called porch monkeys.

They are?

Well, if they're black then I suppose they would be.

I'm from NE PA so maybe it's just these here parts.

I went to see it today, and I think it's probably the best movie that I've seen all summer. The character of Becky (my favorite character) added something new to the Clerks universe. I want to see it again, but I'll probably wait for it to come out on DVD this winter. V for Vendetta is no longer alone on my Favorite Movies of 2006 list.

Though I already saw this at the theater I am considering going again, since the sound kept going in and out and the theater ended up giving me 2 free tickets for whenever I want.

In the meantime I might watch Clerks and Mallrats, have a mini Kevin Smith fest.

I haven't seen "Clerks 2" yet, but this entire "porch monkey" conversation amuses me to no end. The term was a favorite of mine during the "Call White People Obscure Ethnic Slurs That Don't Actually Apply to Them" game of my misspent youth.

I haven't seen "Clerks 2" yet, but this entire "porch monkey" conversation amuses me to no end. The term was a favorite of mine during the "Call White People Obscure Ethnic Slurs That Don't Actually Apply to Them" game of my misspent youth.

"Hey, I'm taking it back!"

I saw it. I loved it. The Wizard of Oz quality of starting and ending at the Quik Stop in black and white (with a small amount of screen time in color) was great. Dante putting the shutters down and reopening them got one of the bigger laughs in the theatre I was in.

The biggest laughs were probably Jay's tuck, "Forgive me Jesus", and most of the dance number. I loved that dance number.

My lone gripe is them forgetting to explain

how Jay & Silent Bob got 50 grand (you assume the comic book and movie of course, but it would have been nice for Jay to, like, rub in the fact that they got crazy cash right in Randall's face)

I went into the flick with low expectations, and they were met, basically.

I liked some of the dialogue, I liked some of the gags, I liked the basic idea behind starting it/ending it in black & white and giving some sort of closure to the characters.

The ending was probably the best part, the Soul Asylum song, the fading to black and white, bittersweet but perfect for the story

the stuff in between....a ton of filler, some of it memorable, some of it horribly cliched, some of it just there

Overall not that good, but as a kid who watched Clerks back in 94 or so and thought it was amazing (and still do) I got some perverse entertainment out of it.

Smith has been going downhill for a decade now though. A movie like this should have been direct to video/DVD or something, and the pathetic numbers it generated prove it. Outside of his fanboy audience (which I guess I'm part of, moreso extended fanboy family) he can't draw. He needs to start making actual FILMS and not just dialogue wankfests.

And if I posted this on ViewAskew I'd expect to be ripped apart in about 3 minutes :P

Guest BrokenWings

The dramatic interplay between Dante and Randall, especially at the end, was really good too.

I had watched J&SB:SB Saturday night after work knowing I was seeing this Sunday and was amused at the re-use of "$15 little man, put that shit in my hand" - was the guy with Ethan Suplee one of the same kids, just aged 5 years?

Dunno, but Suplee looked like he dropped quite a bit of weight since I last saw him in a flick.

They made a bunch of jokes about that in the Mallrats SE, when they had the cast reunion / Q&A session.

He went from being a big fat fuck in Mallrats and American History X to looking somewhat normal.

He was still gigantic in 2004 when The Butterfly Effect came out. I don't know if he had lipo or something, but the man has dropped an incredible amount of weight in the last two years.

Yeah, I also loved this movie. Pillowpants and Randall's reaction were priceless, but my favourite bit was likely the LOTR-Star Wars debate.

See but then if Smith was to go and make some "real movies" without the typical Smith dialogue he would be called a sellout among other things by the fanboys.

I think they didn't explain Jay and SB's cash is because between the comic, movie, selling drugs you gotta believe they have a buttload of money hanging around.

I thought it was amusing that J and SB were still selling drugs despite having the royalty money from the comic and movie. Guess they were just keeping their hand in, huh?

I don't think Smith can make "real movies" at this point. He's too entrenched in his little film world to the point where it's tough to do anything else.

See but then if Smith was to go and make some "real movies" without the typical Smith dialogue he would be called a sellout among other things by the fanboys.

He swore that J&SB would be the end of those characters

He swore for YEARS that he would never make a Clerks sequel

He's constantly acting like a douche, and constantly ripping and poking fun at his 'fanboys'

I just want to see him for once try and stretch himself and do something outside of the View Askew/Jersey universe, challenge himself as an artist

...and there's still the ANIMATED Clerks sequel thing to look forward to.

Really?

That sounds good to me. The Clerks animated series was massively underrated

So do I. I just got through watching all the cartoons tonight. I think disc 2 is a bit better than disc 1 of those. Disc 1 is a bit more pointless and pointlessness is hard to do unless you're Beavis and Butthead.

The Last Starfighter/Bad News Bears/Temple of Doom spoof is easily the best episode

What, better than the courtroom episode with "OH NO, BEAR IS DRIVING!!! How can that be?!?"

The Last Starfighter/Bad News Bears/Temple of Doom spoof is easily the best episode

What, better than the courtroom episode with "OH NO, BEAR IS DRIVING!!! How can that be?!?"

You may have a point.

"TAKE THE CASE!"

haha, I remember seeing the Clerks animated on Comedy Central late one night and was hooked. I loved it, I hadn't seen all the movies yet at that point either.

I saw the new movie twice this weekend. Hanging out with two different groups of friends, both who wanted to see it, but I didn't mind. Easily one of my top movies of the summer, which is starting to wind down. If not for the comedy, Rosario Dawson's dancing was a delight to watch.

You may have a point.

"TAKE THE CASE!"

ml6ptl4bz-1.gif

"I rest my case..."