TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lil' Bitch

Who tapped out and who didn't?

Tapping out wasn't incorporated into the professional wrestling rulebooks until 1997. A friend asked me a good question of who never tapped out since this rule was made. Of course, I'm talking about big stars here.

Here's a list of people who have lost via submission:

Batista - tapped out to Chris Benoit on the February 23rd, 2004 edition of RAW.

Booker T - tapped out Chris Benoit at Armageddon 2005 and No Way Out 2006

Bret Hart - tapped out to Lex Luger at Halloween Havoc 1999 *

Brock Lesnar - tapped out to Kurt Angle at SummerSlam 2003 / tapped out Chris Benoit at SSeries 2003 *

Chris Benoit - tapped out to Bret Hart at Mayhem 1999 / tapped out to Kurt Angle at the 2003 Royal Rumble *

Chris Jericho - tapped out to Dean Malenko at Slamboree 1998 / tapped out to Konnan at Starrcade 1998 / tapped out to Ric Flair at SummerSlam 2002 *

Eddie Guerrero - tapped out to Kurt Angle at SummerSlam 2004 / tapped out to Chris Benoit at Armageddon 2002 and One Night Stand *

Edge - tapped out to Kurt Angle at No Mercy 2002 / tapped out to John Cena at The 2006 Royal Rumble *

Finlay - tapped out to Chris Benoit on the June 15th, 1998 edition of Nitro and Judgment Day 2006

HHH - tapped to Chris Benoit at Wrestlemania 20, and The Gold Rush Quarter Final / tapped out to John Cena at Wrestlemania 22

Hulk Hogan - tapped out to Kurt Angle at The 2002 King of The Ring *

John Cena - tapped out to Kurt Angle at No Mercy 2003 and No Way Out 2004 *

Kane - tapped out to Kurt Angle on the October 30th 2001 edition of SD / tapped out to Chris Benoit on the June 28th, 2004 of RAW *

Kurt Angle - tapped out to Chris Benoit at Backlash 2001 / tapped out to the Rock at SSeries 2001 *

Macho Man Randy Savage - tapped out to Bret Hart at Slamboree 1998 / tapped out to Roddy Piper at The Great American Bash 1998

Randy Orton - tapped out to Chris Benoit on the June 14th, 2004 edition of RAW and the January 24th, 2006 edition of SD / tapped out to Kurt Angle on the April 11th, 2006 edition of SD and One Night Stand II *

Rey Mysterio - tapped out to Chris Jericho at Souled Out 1998 / tapped out to Kurt Angle at SummerSlam 2002 / tapped out to Eddie Guerrero at SSeries 2002 *

Ric Flair - tapped out to Chris Jericho at Unforgiven 2002 / tapped out to Chris Benoit on the February 9th, 2004 edition of RAW and Unforgiven 2004 *

Rob Van Dam - tapped out to Chris Jericho on the September 16th, 2002 edition of RAW

Sabu - tapped out to John Cena at Vengeance 2006

Shawn Michaels - tapped out to Chris Jericho on the July 21st, 2003 edition of RAW / tapped out to Chris Benoit at Backlash 2004 / tapped out to Kurt Angle at Wrestlemania 21

Sid - tapped out to Chris Benoit at Souled Out 2000

Sting - tapped out to Bret Hart at Mayhem 1999

Stone Cold Steve Austin - tapped out to Kurt Angle at Unforgiven 2001 *

The Big Show - tapped out to Chris Benoit on the June 4th, 2001 edition of RAW

The Rock - tapped out to Ken Shamrock at The 1998 King of The Ring / tapped out to Chris Benoit on the July 30th, 2002 edition of SD

The Undertaker - even thought it was a draw, IMO he still lost the match to Kurt Angle by tapping out on the July 2nd, 2002 edition of SD.

Vader - tapped out to Ken Shamrock at In Your House: A Cold Day In Hell

* = I know for a fact

Of course, with some of these I'm not sure if the lost was actually a tap out or just a verbal give up: Batista or Sting

Other losses in question:

RVD's loss to Chris Jericho on RAW

HBK's loss to Chris Jericho on RAW

Flair's loss to Hart at Souled Out 98

Savage's loss to Bret Hart at Slamboree 98 and GAB to both Hart and Piper

Scott Hall's loss to Konnan at Fall Brawl 98

Feel free to add more results or correct me if I'm wrong.

People as far as I know have never tapped out:

DDP

Goldberg

JBL

Mick Foley

Kevin Nash

Roddy Piper

The Big Show tapped out to Chris Benoit on Smackdown back in 2003 - It was a match where the winner faced Kurt Angle who was champion at the time.

Team Angle had just debuted a few weeks ago and they attacked Benoit after the match.

Kevin Nash tapped out to Sid via Crossface on an episode of Thunder, I think.

On Monday, August 9th, 1999, during the main event of Nitro, Hulk Hogan did what many believed he would never do again. As Sting and Goldberg awaited Hogan, the classic American Made theme began playing. At first, many fans didn't know what to think and quietly stood up. A few seconds later, Hogan emerged in the classic red and yellow and the fans roared in approval as Tony Schiavone and Bobby Heenan screamed into their headsets "THE RED AND YELLOW'S BACK!." The team of Hogan, Goldberg, and Sting went on to defeat Kevin Nash, Sid Vicious, and Rick Steiner when Sting made Nash tap out to the Scorpion Death Lock.

On Monday, August 9th, 1999, during the main event of Nitro, Hulk Hogan did what many believed he would never do again. As Sting and Goldberg awaited Hogan, the classic American Made theme began playing. At first, many fans didn't know what to think and quietly stood up. A few seconds later, Hogan emerged in the classic red and yellow and the fans roared in approval as Tony Schiavone and Bobby Heenan screamed into their headsets "THE RED AND YELLOW'S BACK!." The team of Hogan, Goldberg, and Sting went on to defeat Kevin Nash, Sid Vicious, and Rick Steiner when Sting made Nash tap out to the Scorpion Death Lock.

I'm not sure if the dates match up, but I remember one of those funny WCW Observer quotes... It was something like Sting won by using the scorpion on Nash, but Nash never tapped or even moved his head, the ref just rang the bell.

I'm pretty sure Rey tapped out to Jericho at Souled Out 98. And didn't the Rock tap out to Shamrock at KOTR 98?

Guest Human Highlight Reel
Austin? If he did, it had to be in '01.

He tapped to Kurt Angle's ankle lock at Unforgiven of '01.

I'm not sure if the dates match up, but I remember one of those funny WCW Observer quotes... It was something like Sting won by using the scorpion on Nash, but Nash never tapped or even moved his head, the ref just rang the bell.

Yeah - Nash never tapped or verbally submitted, just 'passed out'.

Regarding Foley, are we talking about just the concept of submission or (more previsely) the physical act of slapping the mat?

Foley once made himself give up with his own hold, vs Ken Shamrock.

Guest wildpegasus
The Big Show tapped out to Chris Benoit on Smackdown back in 2003 - It was a match where the winner faced Kurt Angle who was champion at the time.

Team Angle had just debuted a few weeks ago and they attacked Benoit after the match.

Benoit has indeed made the Big Show tap out before but it actually wasn't in this match. Benoit countered Big Show's chokeslam into a Perterson's Roll for the victory. He also had his feet on the ropes though it's possible that could've been a spontanious decision by Benoit or even an unitentional accident given his body posistion in the ring. Nontheless the feet were on ropes. All right, I'm rambling here.

Benoit actually made Big Show tap out in 01 after the famous Edmonton match against Austin. This was on Raw.

Benoit tapped to Jericho in the 2nd fall of their 2-out-of-3 falls match at Summerslam 2000. Jericho tapped to Benoit in the 1st fall.

Regarding Foley, are we talking about just the concept of submission or (more previsely) the physical act of slapping the mat?

Yes, slapping the mat.

If were just talking about tappping out in general and not limited offical matches, Shamrock made Bret and Shawn both tap out in consecutive weeks.

Was Vader the first one to ever end a match by tapping out?

Bret Hart also tapped to Lugar's torture rack on a Nitro in '98. It was for the US title and Bret won it back a few days later on Thunder.

Flair also tapped to Jericho at Unforgiven '02. Also ,Angle tapped to the Rock at Survivor Series '01.

Actually, IIRC, Foley was in the Shammy's Ankle Lock and put himself in the Mandible Claw so that he WOULDN'T submit, but would rather pass out. Cool finish.

Actually, IIRC, Foley was in the Shammy's Ankle Lock and put himself in the Mandible Claw so that he WOULDN'T submit, but would rather pass out. Cool finish.

Yeah, that's very creative.

Got another one: Angle tapped to Brock Lesnar in the their 2003 Iron Man Match. You also forgot to add that Orton tapped to Angle at ECW ONS.

Sadly....Sabu tapped to Cena on the last Raw PPV.

Guest wildpegasus
Does it have to be televised to count?

Naah. A tapout is a tapout.

Does it have to be televised to count?

Yes, and it has to be the finish of the match. Sorry I forgot to mention that.