TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathon

HEATH LEDGER CAST AS THE JOKER!!!

Vyce, this isn't the old "Mork from Ork" Robin williams we are talking aqbout. He has done more serious, chilling movie roles in recent years. He was ready to play Joker in '89 and is a big fan of the comics and the role of Joker. I think he understands that it won't be over the top.

The only thing I can't argue about is that he is indeed too hefty right now.

I will reserve my judgement until I see the performance, but I would have preferred a more unknown actor. I wouldn't want Robin Williams in the role because he's Robin Williams.

A circular argument, but convincing none the less.

Crispin Glover is a better Riddler than Joker. I will always stand by that.

And Heath is perfect if he continues to do his Trace Adkins impression from Brokeback Mountain.

Guest netslob

what sold me on Glover was the scene in Willard where he and his rat army confront his boss (the awesome R. Lee Ermy) and he goes into a tearful, psychotic rant about how his whole life up until now has sucked. i remember watching that and his expressions and face and voice and even his hair, and thinking "damn...THAT'S the Joker. He'd be perfect".

not to say Ledger isn't a good actor and couldn't pull it off, i'm just saying Glover would be the ideal choice in eyes.

Jack Nicholson OWNED as The Joker IMO. I wouldn't Ledger as the Joker though.

I would have gone with Glover as well, but it could be always be worse if then Ledger.

Any word on who is going to be Harvey Dent? I thought that Jude Law would be a great Dent visually espically if you ever saw what Dent looked like in The Long Halloween.

Problem is Jude is never great at anything except visually. He doesn't have the acting chops to play a character like that, IMO.

We could have had a great Dent in Forever if everything in that movie wasn't so incompetently handled and rushed that they managed to waste Tommy Lee Jones. FLASHBACK*ACID IN THE FACE*SUPERVILLIANY*NO REAL CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT!*

Not knowing much of Ledger's past roles, I'm not going to say he couldn't do it -- but it should be obvious that the media would reference Brokeback any chance they could. Not that it's a bad thing, mind, but it may not be the best promo material.

I'll also get on the Crispin Glover bandwagon; I suspect there's plenty of room. Willard showed much of his dark side, and based on that, I suspect he would be perfect in a demented-stalker kinda way. Though I wonder, having not viewed the comics, isn't the Joker very theatrical? I'm mostly basing that assumption from the cartoon.

Robin Williams would certainly add some age to the mostly-young cast and could be threatening in a way that Falcone and Ducard were. Doubt he could do many action scenes, then again, Crane didn't much of that, either.

I'll throw this one out there: Roger Bart. Best known probably from Stepford Wives and The Producers; I think he had the look in The Producers, though definetly too over the top. I haven't seen any of his films where he plays a dark character (if he has, ever), but it would be interesting to see what he could do with the role.

Regardless, I hope they bring back Crane for at least one more picture, if only so it's not a new-villain-per-film kinda thing as the old movies were.

This all reminds me of the interview in which Adam West said that he'd like for the studio to consider him for the role of Batman when they were casting Batman Begins. And he was serious.

He did the same thing back when Burton's Batman first came out.

I wonder if he realizes that his show was never meant to be a serious take on the character of Batman. When I think of his version of Batman, I think of the Watusi and him hanging from a rope while being attacked by a shark.

Oh, and ZGangsta--I beg to differ that Nolan knocked it out of the park with *all* of the casting choices. Katie was lousy.

Hmmm. You've got a point there. She didn't bring the movie down at all though.

I wonder if he realizes that his show was never meant to be a serious take on the character of Batman. When I think of his version of Batman, I think of the Watusi and him hanging from a rope while being attacked by a shark.

I wonder if he realizes how old he is?

They should have a cameo of Adam West being in a scene of the sequel just for the hell of it. Have West play Mayor Hill or something.

I wonder if he realizes how old he is?

Given how self-effacing he's been in shows like Family Guy, I have to believe he was really joking.

Johnny Depp can play anybody. He'd play Joker really well, but it's always better to get someone a little less known. Heath Ledger, I don't know too much about.

As for Harvey Dent, I know someone a while ago suggested Billy Zane, and I think thats a perfect choice.

I'd go with either Steve Buscemi or Crispin Glover.

Robin Williams is too old to play the role of Joker who will need to take bumps in the film.

How about Brad Dourif, now he can play a psycho properly

I totally missed that Dourif played Brother Edward in the Babylon 5 episode "Passing Through Gethsemane." He was a monk who had been a murderer before he was sentenced to a mindwipe. Some of the victims' families found out who he was and murdered him by hanging him on a cross. That, I believe, is the most exposure I've had to Dourif out of makeup, and the impression I got from him based on that performance is that he would be too soft to play Joker. However, I could be persuaded otherwise by seeing some of his other movies/shows, aside from LoTR.

Johnny Depp is too skinny? You realize this is the Joker we're talking about? If anything Heath Ledger's not nearly gaunt enough. He's a decent actor, but I can't really see him pulling off batshit crazy. I agree he'd make a great Dent, though.

Now Nicholson wasn't gaunt either, but he's Jack Fuckin' Nicholson. He and Dennis Hopper are the two craziest fucks in Hollywood.

MotivateJoker1-774195.jpg

I wonder if Willem Dafoe was considered for the part.

I can understand they'd want to stay away from comparisons to the Spider-Man films, but still, he'd have been great.

as far as harvey dent goes, I'm more concerned with two-face, which means we need someone with a cool gravelly voice.

You know what that means...

JACK BAUER AS HARVEY DENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The other guy who I think would be really cool as Two-Face (and thus Dent), is Joaquin Phoenix (sp?).