TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
St. Gabe

The Talk Radio Thread

Guest Smues

Kornheiser is back on the air so that's what I listen to. His show airs 4:30-6:30am my time so I have my computer record it while I sleep then I take it to work and listen there. It's nice being able to skip commercials.

Guest Eagle Man
Explain.

Just this David Stein guy on Sporting News that's on 11pm Pacific to way past me going to bed. He blabs about his myspace all the time, so I added him. He mentioned me as Naughty Princess on air. And he writes back to me and stuff.

I just discovered the joys of David Stein.

Leena, tell me what's good in your life.

Heh.

No. I was serious. When I say "tell me what's good in your life," I mean it. I really want to know. I've been asking this for a year and a half now. Don't just say "I have a wife and kids," because that's just an answer to the question "do you have a wife and kids?" I want to know what's good in your life, and you know that. There's a cover charge here, and you have to pay. You have to pay it forward. We're all trying to learn from each other here.

I miss Phil Hendrie.

What ended up happening with him?

I think he's doing things on his website. He's got a blog, and may have some new material not sure about that.

Thankfully, mercifully, 92.3 Free FM in New York is dead, and from its ashes rises K-Rock, WXRK, the former tenant of those numbers. It has been long overdue. It went from K-Rock to Free FM after Stern left to Sirius about a year and a half ago, and there has been a huge hole left in it's wake.

The only show surviving from the Free FM all-talk format will be Opie and Anthony from 6-9 am. Also, for the interim, there are no DJs. Former jocks have gone on to stuff like XM (Cane), Stern (Crazy Cabbie), and VH1 (Chris Booker)

Guest George's Box

I don't know about New York, but the Free FM station in Chicago was dead last in the ratings, behind religious, ethnic, and some crappy we-play-anything station out in Arlington Heights. There was some guy named "Rover" who replaced Howard Stern. and never got his Arbitrons above 0.0. Zero-point-zero. Man. He's gone now, though, and I think the Free FM label is as well, though they still have the washed-up old Steve Dahl.

Hey Jack, I hear that Chicago meatball and Ozzie Guillen adversary Mike North is filling in on Imus's old time slot this week over at WFAN. Why CBS Radio decided that a blowhard from Chicago who can't even beat shitty Mike & Mike in his own market would be a good fit for New York is beyond me, but you guys can keep him, please.

Anyone here had the chance to listen to Dennis Miller's show? I've been listening for a while now and I really like what he does. He doesn't go down on one side or the other but takes a shit on everyone equally.

I've listened to a few of his shows via download. Not bad. I'll give him a listen in the early morning before Boortz comes on. I like his non-guest segments best, but depending on the guest, I'll play that segment as well.

I don't know about New York, but the Free FM station in Chicago was dead last in the ratings, behind religious, ethnic, and some crappy we-play-anything station out in Arlington Heights. There was some guy named "Rover" who replaced Howard Stern. and never got his Arbitrons above 0.0. Zero-point-zero. Man. He's gone now, though, and I think the Free FM label is as well, though they still have the washed-up old Steve Dahl.

Hey Jack, I hear that Chicago meatball and Ozzie Guillen adversary Mike North is filling in on Imus's old time slot this week over at WFAN. Why CBS Radio decided that a blowhard from Chicago who can't even beat shitty Mike & Mike in his own market would be a good fit for New York is beyond me, but you guys can keep him, please.

Pretty sure Free FM in NY was near-if not dead last in the ratings during most timeslots.

As for FAN, they've been rotating morning hosts since Imus got shitcanned. Most of the time it's been Mike and the Mad Dog pulling double duty (Their regular show is 1-6:30), but usually Mike by himself and not the pair. They've also had Geraldo and Jim Cramer as well. I never listened to Imus at all, and I'm not up early enough to hear how its going, although if I was, I'd be listening to O&A rather than the 'FAN rotating jocks or the dreadful Mike and Mike alternative on ESPN radio.

Guest George's Box

Did you, or anyone else here, catch North's fill-in days? I heard he kept saying WSCR instead of WFAN.

I've caught a little bit of Mike & Mike recently, and Greenberg has an annoying not-quite-lisp-but-something that bugs the hell out of me.

I'm a huge fan of the Lionel Show, and I followed it from WOR from New York to Air America.

I've been listening to a few other Air America shows lately, and I find them to be a mixed bag. Tom Hartmann has his good points, but his show is too dry for me. Randi Rhodes is growing on me.

I used to listen to Howie Carr all the time, but he ended up driving me away when it became obvious that issues with illegal immigration had racial undertones and his anti-gay messages were polarizing as well.

Dr. Joy Brown on WOR is a welcome alternative to Dr. Laura, due to her advice actually being useful.

Nope, the only time I've ever heard of this North guy is from the Guillen interview a few weeks ago.

I've officially given up on the idiocy and awful hosting of the WFAN overnights and switched to George Noory's tin foil hat show instead, which is entertaining.

Gotta go with the Max Kellerman Show (which got another hour now that Stephen A. Smith moved up, and lost an hour due to Mike Tirico). Kellerman is probably the most educated sports radio talk show host in NY, has a sarcastic sidekick in Gordon Damer, pretty funny producer in Robin Lundberg, Louie Gold another producer who gets yelled at by Max all the time, and people who call in such as Mr. Hangover, and Mr. Run Differential. Tazz always stops by too.

Guest Gym Class Fallout
Kellerman is probably the most educated sports radio talk show host in NY

then you're fucked

Seriously? What else do you guys have besides Mike and the Mad Dog?

The next best guy is probably Brandon Tierney. Honestly, have you listened to Kellerman on the radio? He's like Brian Kenny except funnier and more egotistical.

The next best guy is probably Brandon Tierney. Honestly, have you listened to Kellerman on the radio? He's like Brian Kenny except funnier and more egotistical.

I remember Kellerman filling in for Dan Patrick for a few days during the Pistons-Spurs series in '05 and he was fantastic. He was incredibly informed by just about every topic and sport, which doesn't happen often in the talk radio setting.

To replace the deposed Don Imus show, the local comedy station picked up the Walton and Johnson Show out of Houston, and it is one of the most gawd awful pieces of shit I've ever heard come through my radio speakers.

Quite frankly, I blame vivaultra