TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damaramu

Anyone got too many video game systems?

Ok so back when I was in HS and the beginnings of college and I didn't live with my girlfriend I had all this time to play video games. I didn't have any bills and loads of free time. So I was able to just buy every system and a bunch of games and enjoy myself.

So I now have the PS2, Gamecube, and X-Box.

And the next gen for all these systems are coming out.

And now I'm thinking "Do I really need all of them?"

I played the shit out of my PS2 when I got it. That thing was wore out so bad that the controller cord is falling apart. But since I got my X-Box 3 years ago it's barely seen any action except to play RPGs or old PS1 games.

My X-Box meanwhile has gotten the brunt of my attack for the last 3 years. I've gone through 3 controllers with this thing. The only problem is that I really only play football games on it now and the occasional other game. But I don't have time like I used to. I can't sit and play through a game in a week or a couple of days and get a new one. I'm currently moving through Prince of Persia 2 at a slow crawl. And I don't even really want to finish it b/c I think it's crappy(after loving the first) but my sense of duty to finish a game I paid money for is making me play it. When I buy NCAA 07 I'm sure I'll forget it. Hell I've had Shenmue II since I bought the X-Box. It gets played every now and then.

And then I have my poor Gamecube which has really not gotten the playing time it deserves. I barely play it. I only play it when we play big multiplayer games or when I played Zelda Windwaker. And RE4. Other than that the system has sat neglected and ignored.

I don't want to have 1,000 bucks worth of next gen gaming systems that I never play. Anyone else experienced this as they grew up or are growing up? A lack of time to play these games? No longer a need for every video game system?

My OCD makes me want to buy them all and I obsess over if I should or not.

My new plan is to wait for them all to come out and decide which one is best instead of just buying them all now. That should work out for me.

But yeah the whole point of this thread was to get that off my chest and ask if anyone else has experienced this. A bunch of video game sytems that never get played and you realize "Well I'm growing up. I only have time for one system and one game at a time."

Also as a sidenote. When I considered myself a "serious gamer" and what not I scoffed at the people that just played sports video games. I had my RPGs. Now I never play RPGs(no decent ones out especially after the destruction of the FF series, and i don't have time to devote 60 hours to a game) and all I play is sports games. I've become what I used to scoff at!

We have a PS2, N64, Genesis, GameCube, DS, GBA and an NES buried somewhere.

Only the PS2, GC and DS get play anymore. I play NHL06, 24 and THPS1 on the PS2. We both use the GC for Mario Golf, Mario Baseball, Mario Strikers, Sonic, etc.etc. And the DS is hers, I bought it for her for xmas.

I'd say we have too many systems, but I always find that if I get rid of a system, I want to play it three days after I get rid of it. That's no good.

I doubt I'll invest in a 360/Wii right away. Sony can kiss my fucking ass with the PS3's price. The 360 looks OK, but not for the current price and the fact that I only really want it for NHL07. Plus with the issues with the place we're living in now and the fact that we'll be moving soon, money just isn't available for entertainment right now.

Guest Princess Leena

I only have an XBox, DC, Genesis and N64... and even when I was working part-time with no school, I could never come close to playing all the games I had.

I don't get why so many people must buy every current generation system. Unless you're a very big gamer.

Same here. The current solution of sorts is to sell off the games.

Games, that is. I have an NES, Genesis, SNES, N64, PS2, GC, DC, DS, GBA SP, and NGPC, so some of them have just had their libraries pared down to the gems (my Genesis library is very lean, with only the best in it).

Now, eventually the GC will be replaced with a Wii and the PS2 with a PS3.

It shouldn't be a hard decision for you if you only have the current 3. Get a Wii, get rid of the Cube. Replace your PS2 with a PS3 when it becomes financially feasible.

As for the X-Box...well, that's a case-by-case. By and large the "backwards compatible" games are fucking atrocious pieces of garbage that no one with any good taste would waste 2 minutes with. Some of them are good, though.

You should surely know which games in your library you're going to want to play again, and which you'll never touch again. I finished God of War just so I'd have no regrets, no nagging need to go back and play it later. I got it the hell out of the house and I'm never touching that game again. OTOH, Ther'es a number of games I'm not going to trade in/sell because I love them too damn much.

Although with well-done, fully-functional, legally-sanctioned emulation becoming more commonplace (hello Virtual console) it's going to be less necessary to keep physical carts and systems around.

However, it's still going to take a lot to convince me to get rid of the SNES.

Yeah it seems that if I got a Wii or PS3 then I'd be able to still play all my cool old games for the other systems(wait does the PS3 play PS1 games?) but I'd heard the backwards compatiblity on the 360 sucks and I wouldn't want to have to keep both around.

I think I will wait for them all to come out and only take the best.

I'd have already gotten rid of the GC if there wasn't a new Zelda coming out.

Yeah it seems that if I got a Wii or PS3 then I'd be able to still play all my cool old games for the other systems(wait does the PS3 play PS1 games?) but I'd heard the backwards compatiblity on the 360 sucks and I wouldn't want to have to keep both around.

PS3 will play PS1 games, but if you want to use existing PS2/PS1 game data, you must buy an accessory (price unknown) that will let you load the data onto a "virtual memory card" in the HD, because normally you can't plug a PS1/PS2 card physically into the PS3. If you want to pass, you don't need to own the memory cards to store the data, since it will make new virtual memory cards on the HDs from scratch.

The 360 BC is steadily improving, and in many cases the game graphics are enhanced on 360. However, does anyone really want to play Chicago Enforcer in any form or fashion?

Lets see, I have a PS1, PS2, Gamecube, X-Box, and a 3DO. I had a hankering to play AD&D Slayer so I went to Ebay and went nuts. The funny part is that I got the 3DO for like $40, and the game for 5 from someone who was selling off his games on a website when it was going for almost $50 on Ebay. I won that little battle.

I'm still pissed at an ex-roommate for stealing my Genesis and my games back in 2000. I had a copy of Live 96 that had up to date rosters, even though it took me HOURS to get the right stats for someone like Kobe.

I'm getting that way. I used to buy a new game like every other week. Now I buy one once once every other month. I spend too much time/money playing just a few games to buy everything I'm interested in. I probably shouldn't have bought a 360 and gone PS3 only this gen.

I've always been a man of only one system for each generation.

It always ends up being Nintendo's system. So I guess you could call me a fanboy or something.

At least, it prevents situations like those described in this topic. I never spend too much on systems themselves. Only the games.

Dama lives with his girl? Get out of there, dude.

I hardly play video games at all any more, but I might get the new Nintendo just for the hell of it. No way I'll spend $600 on something I'd use infrequently, even though I have been a Sony guy since '97.

I have a Pong machine, 2600, 5200, NES, Famicom, Master System, Genesis, Game gear, Gameboy, Gameboy Color,GBA, DS, PS1, N64, Saturn, Neo Geo, PS2, GC, DC. I still play all of them with the exception of maybe the pong machine cuz i dont want it to get messed up.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

I had a Commodore 64, Game Boy, Game Boy Colour, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP, N64, GameCube, PS1, PS2, Xbox, and a shitload of games for each. Then I moved out in 2004, and left it all to my brothers. I'm deciding on a Wii/PS3 for this Christmas right now, but I'll eventually own both. I don't ever see myself getting an Xbox 360.

I've had a NES, SNES, Sega Saturn, Game Boy, GB Advance, GB Advance SP, GB Color, N64, Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360, and PSP. Only Game Boy I didn't have was GB Pocket.

I keep my consoles and my games. You never know when you'll get nostalgic and want to play the games you grew up with.

I have 7 seven consoles with three hooked to my TV. I bought my Gamecube and my XBox with each 15 or so games already included. When I was in school and had a part-time job, I could play maybe 4 days a week, not big gaming sessions though. Now that I have a full-time job, I have even less time. It takes maybe a month or a month and a half to complete a 25-30 hours game.

I have maybe 20 games in my collection that I haven't even touched, with 5 or 6 RPGs. There's all the stuff that came within the last year or so that I want to play but I didn't bought yet. I'm set for at least a couple years, so I won't buy a new console anytime soon.

I forgot to mention Atari Lynx, Sega CD and a Turbo 16