TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest InuYasha

The OAO Post-SummerSlam RAW for 8/21/06

Yes. He had his entire storyline ended in a nice package. Foley can look back and know he wrote another great storyline that didn't insult the fan's intelligence, made sense and had the logical points.

Why don't those morons pay attention to Foley, I'll never get.

You pompous ass. Does it occur to you that people do get what happened and just think it was lame?

It was a terrible storyline. I can't believe anyone likes it. I was happy at the climax to see Foley get turned on only because he was such a giant douchebag and pussy

Isn't Foley leaving for a while now?

Yes. He had his entire storyline ended in a nice package. Foley can look back and know he wrote another great storyline that didn't insult the fan's intelligence, made sense and had the logical points.

The storyline was a fucking abortion.

I'm sorry the story required understanding of depth and the ability to figure things out yourself but that's what quality writers (as far as pro wrestling writing goes) do. It was precise and detailed, which probably threw you off to begin with.

Melina's involvment was neccesary because it represented alot of things in Mick Foley's character change. That was the FIRST step in the entire angle with Flair. Foley put over the changes that occured after the hardcore match at WM.

He built his friendship with Melina over dating back months ago via his blog and then again on the air in his promos. Melina was always a presence in the story. Melina, represented something Foley never had before. It was never about sex or looks or anything like that, it was Foley's complete humanity for someone. All of this built to the fact that Foley is the eternal loser who will always be hurt at the end of it.

The Flair involvement was designed around it and that part was delivered with success save for Flair's reduction in his promos thanks to the idiots in charge.

The whole angle was simple, direct and logical. It wasn't over the top and it made sense. That is a lot more then you can get from anything else in the WWE.

BTW, the morons I'm refering to are the writers in the back who could learn something from Foley.

You don't have to like it, that's fine but don't call it an abortion when the storyline delivered on its purpose.

The storyline did have a few flaws but as a whole it was better developed then pretty much any other storyline they have done in the past year. While they are trying to incorporate gags from movies for DX and to bury a dead man via his wife, they could stand to ask Foley "How you write something that makes sense?".

That's the thing about the Foley/Melina stuff that makes no sense to me. It's like it shattered some sort of 4th wall and there was a sense of cognitive dissonance whenever I'd see those two on TV. Foley's talk of Melina being so kind and caring in real life flat out goes at odds with her established TV persona as a ruthless bitch. It was like watching some Chyna stuff from 1999 where she'd be a face fighting a man in one segment and then helps HHH win a match with interference later.

I'm not saying I don't understand it, nothing was confusing about it. It just doesn't really work all that well because it doesn't jibe with the TV roles that Foley and Melina essay.

You know, they are setting up a Carlito/Orton feud it appears with Flair possibly mentoring Carlito (?). What's funny about that is that in theory it's just a feud to get Orton back on track, but to me Carlito deserves the win there. Those are two guys who are going in opposite directions; Carlito has improved dramatically in the past year, Orton has regressed.

Personally, I thought it was one of the better shows this year. Every match was at least decent and there were some new directions taken (Carlito/Orton and Kane/Umaga for example). I marked out for Jeff interrupting Edge. I figured he would return by beating some jobber. I enjoyed their match too, until Lita fucked it up. I think the D-X/McMahons thing is now set up where Vince will finally find a way to eliminate D-X and then HHH and/or HBK can take their time off or whatever. I was pretty pleased with the show overall.

I'm not going to leap into the "Did it make sense" argument, but I have this question:

What did it accomplish?

I mean, it was an excuse to have Foley job to Flair....and other than that, nothing. Melina is as "big" a heel as she was, and she'll still be hated more for her screeching than for hitting Foley low. It was a good idea, it wasn't even executed that poorly, but it just didn't work out.

I'm not going to leap into the "Did it make sense" argument, but I have this question:

What did it accomplish?

I mean, it was an excuse to have Foley job to Flair....and other than that, nothing. Melina is as "big" a heel as she was, and she'll still be hated more for her screeching than for hitting Foley low. It was a good idea, it wasn't even executed that poorly, but it just didn't work out.

In reality? It accomplished another Foley wet-dream. As for the storyline? Hate to say it but it probably leads to McMahon/Foley, a match that had been hinted so many times but never directly delivered.

Guest JustPassinBy

He built his friendship with Melina over dating back months ago via his blog and then again on the air in his promos. Melina was always a presence in the story. Melina, represented something Foley never had before. It was never about sex or looks or anything like that, it was Foley's complete humanity for someone. All of this built to the fact that Foley is the eternal loser who will always be hurt at the end of it.

I'll tell you why Melina should have had no part in this angle:

---Flair and Foley have a built in feud going back 12 yrs in the business

--There's built in animosity between the two, that needs no other backstory

--As a fan, I want to see these two settle their differences in the ring, to see who is the better man.

-- I have NO desire to see some type of 'character building' of Mick Foley. None. I already know Mick Foley. He's been around forever. He's played a million different characters. Mick Foley no longer has any character to develop. He is who he is. The same can be said for Ric Flair.

--From a storyline perspective, it makes no sense at all for Foley to place Melina's 2 month friendship (of which most had no idea since they dont read WWE.com), over his internal rage/feud of 12yrs with Ric Flair. None. If this was done to build Foley's character even more, why? Foley has no character to develop cuz he's played every single role imaginable.

All I wanted was a Ric Flair- Mick Foley old school brawl built on shooting promos, and a bloodbath in the ring. Hell, they could have ended it by both passing out in a pool of blood as some sort of mutual respect blow off.

Bringing in Melina did nothing for me. Its not bc I dont 'understand" it, its bc it was needless.

This feud was about Ric Flair vs Mick Foley---legend vs legend.

It wasnt about Mick Foley developing his softer side...........

Guest Princess Leena

My main problem is the timing of it. They could have done this with Foley feuding with Nitro, Orton, some young kid... could have made a storyline out of it. It was completely unnecessary with Flair.

Plus, it's a big jump for fans to accept someone caring for Melina, while she's been an evil, cheating bitch forever.

I'm sorry the story required understanding of depth and the ability to figure things out yourself but that's what quality writers (as far as pro wrestling writing goes) do. It was precise and detailed, which probably threw you off to begin with.

Melina's involvment was neccesary because it represented alot of things in Mick Foley's character change. That was the FIRST step in the entire angle with Flair. Foley put over the changes that occured after the hardcore match at WM.

The Flair involvement was designed around it and that part was delivered with success save for Flair's reduction in his promos thanks to the idiots in charge.

The whole angle was simple, direct and logical. It wasn't over the top and it made sense. That is a lot more then you can get from anything else in the WWE.

BTW, the morons I'm refering to are the writers in the back who could learn something from Foley.

You don't have to like it, that's fine but don't call it an abortion when the storyline delivered on its purpose.

The storyline did have a few flaws but as a whole it was better developed then pretty much any other storyline they have done in the past year. While they are trying to incorporate gags from movies for DX and to bury a dead man via his wife, they could stand to ask Foley "How you write something that makes sense?".

I didn't read your piece of shit post and I hope nobody else does either. It was a horrible storyline and I suspect that you're a homosexual or a virgin for liking it

My main problem is the timing of it. They could have done this with Foley feuding with Nitro, Orton, some young kid... could have made a storyline out of it. It was completely unnecessary with Flair.

Plus, it's a big jump for fans to accept someone caring for Melina, while she's been an evil, cheating bitch forever.

That was one of the flaws I felt they needed to expand on, Foley explained it in passing about why he saw Melina in a different light but it was brushed off. Why did you throw in Orton, Leena? You know Foley gave that boy all he could to get over (and succeded), re-doing wasn't neccesary.

I do think Foley had these two storylines in mind and couldn't do both, so he merged them together. It still made perfect sense and was logical enough if you pay attention and it still delivered for the most part.

Should have done Flair/Foley first and then do the Foley/Melina storyline. I guess Foley knew he would be busy with promoting the book, he couldn't do another big storyline.

Well the Melina stuff was just so...arbitrary? I don't even know what I thought of it, since it was somewhat ill explained on TV. Or maybe it wasn't, I mean Foley did explain they were friends and all that. It made sense but yet it didn't. As in here's Mick Foley, ostensibly a heel in a feud with Ric Flair, yet he's acting like the face telling how much he enjoys Melina's company. Here we have Melina, Johnny Nitro's ruthless bitch girlfriend/manager, now suddenly being sympathetic while with Foley, yet a bitch in the context of Nitro's matches.

It's a solid storyline in a different context away from the Flair feud. As in if Foley was done feuding with Flair and Vince was giving Mick a lot of shit, then we find out more about his friendship with Melina, then she betrays him, etc. That would be fine, but it doesn't work in the context of the vicious Flair feud.

I'm hoping Nitro helps give some sort of explanation here. He's just sorta sat around while his woman got involved with her friend's business the past few months. His point of view may change my opinion on the storyline thus far.

I didn't read your piece of shit post and I hope nobody else does either. It was a horrible storyline and I suspect that you're a homosexual or a virgin for liking it

Good one.

Good one.

thanks, buddy :)

^Agree. The Foley/Flair feud is one of its own that deserves a blowoff and THIS should be used for another guy.

Don't get me wrong, though. This is a VERY intriguing Angle to me as its fairly well known that Melina and Foley have had a personal relationship for the better part of a year now, and the public has been exposed to it through his blog. Remember when pictures of Melina started appearing on Foley's columns arbitrarily and he strung out a big column that he wrote about their first meeting each other and subsequent friendship. I do, and I don't make it a habit to visit WWE.com but I did happen to have read most of Foley's columns.

Call me gullible, but I didn't see the spoiler from earlier in the thread and I didn't see the turn coming, and I, having knowledge of the Foley/Melina factor dating back far longer than most casual fans, was shocked when it happened and I think it worked, at least with me.

I DO however think that it should have had no part of the Flair feud and the Foley "soft side" storyline should have been separate. The KMA thing could have just taken the place of the Summerslam ending as a means of establishing Foley caring about Melina and just ended the Summerslam match with a proper blowoff to that.

Oh well, bottom line, I liked it. Mostly because the Melina thing wasn't as out of left field to me.

I'm hoping Nitro helps give some sort of explanation here. He's just sorta sat around while his woman got involved with her friend's business the past few months. His point of view may change my opinion on the storyline thus far.

He always knew that Melina wasn't going do anything with Foley. Foley, wasn't a threat to him. All it takes is "Like I had to worry about that fat loser" comment and it explains everything from him.

Speaking of Nitro, it wouldn't hurt for Edge to pile on Foley as well by saying something along the lines of "I knew Foley was a loser, he lost his job over some girl he was never going to get? What a loser". It also could easily plant the seed for Lita's departure.

Someone please explain to me how it is (kayfabe-wise) that Vince gets mad enough at Foley, just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, to FIRE HIM, yet it seems totally beyond him to even comprehend firing DX, even though they do stupid shit to Vince CONSTANTLY.

Seriously, if anyone can justify that, kayfabe-wise, I'd love to hear it.

And don't mention that he didn't fire Austin, because he *did* fire Austin at one point, and it was acknowledged that Austin was such a draw Vince woulda lost out by firing him.

And WHAT THE SHIT is up with Edge's belt? That's somehow more hideous then Cena's. "Cena, your belt is such a piece of crap, I'm gonna throw it away, and then get myself one THAT LOOKS ALMOST EXACTLY THE FUCKING SAME, BECAUSE I'M A FUCKING TIT."

Like, JESUS. I only watched the first half of RAW, because I couldn't take any more.

Someone please explain to me how it is (kayfabe-wise) that Vince gets mad enough at Foley, just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, to FIRE HIM, yet it seems totally beyond him to even comprehend firing DX, even though they do stupid shit to Vince CONSTANTLY.

Vince reminded us that he hated Foley and considered him to be a loser at SummerSlam. The history between Foley and McMahon is well established and it's not the first time McMahon hung "You're Fired" over his head.

McMahon doesn't fire DX because he wants to do the damage himself.

That's essentially the kayfabe reasoning.

What I want to know is this, does Foley's magic contract still exist?

And don't mention that he didn't fire Austin, because he *did* fire Austin at one point, and it was acknowledged that Austin was such a draw Vince woulda lost out by firing him.

And WHAT THE SHIT is up with Edge's belt? That's somehow more hideous then Cena's. "Cena, your belt is such a piece of crap, I'm gonna throw it away, and then get myself one THAT LOOKS ALMOST EXACTLY THE FUCKING SAME, BECAUSE I'M A FUCKING TIT."

Like, JESUS. I only watched the first half of RAW, because I couldn't take any more.

Maybe Vince secretly thinks that HHH and HBK are too big of draws to get rid of them? In Foley's case, he's not around enough to feel bad about firing him.

Vince reminded us that he hated Foley and considered him to be a loser at SummerSlam. The history between Foley and McMahon is well established and it's not the first time McMahon hung "You're Fired" over his head.

McMahon doesn't fire DX because he wants to do the damage himself.

That's essentially the kayfabe reasoning.

What I want to know is this, does Foley's magic contract still exist?

Do you mean the stack of blank contracts that he had drawn up before he was fired as Commish?

This is my theory on Nitro/Melina's involvment in the Flair/Foley feud...Foley, for his own reasons, saw Melina as more than what she's portrayed as in the ring. To me, Melina was annoyed by Foley all along and wished he would go away. But before she got rid of him, she could get something out of him for her and Nitro. These things were: 1. Foley was used as backup for Nitro when he was feuding with Flair, knowing the history between those two. 2. The big time exposure given to Nitro/Melina from being involved with two legends like Flair/Foley. Nitro stayed in the background b/c he knew that nothing would happen between Melina and Foley. Once Nitro/Melina had no more use for Foley, they tried to think of a way to get rid of him and, lo and behold, the KMAC fell into their laps. So once Vince told Foley to kiss his ass, Melina told Vince (in an untelevised segment) how to get Foley to kiss his ass and get fired at the same time. That's the best way I can explain this storyline.

The Foley/Melina thing is another example of them using the wwe.com site for storylines while totally ignoring it with other angles. I mean, the DX spray paints the office tower bit was mentioned on wwe.com a month ago, yet Vince just NOW notices? It's almost like serving two different masters...appease the marks with Melina being a bith with Nitro, yet appease the net fans by acknowledging Foley's friendship with her. Thing is, how many people on the net give a shit about this?

I honestly hope this doesn't even lead to Foley/Vince at any point. It's not so much even that I think it'd be a bad match per se, but when will they realize that being able to beat Vince in a match is essentially meaningless?

Guest Princess Leena
Why did you throw in Orton, Leena? You know Foley gave that boy all he could to get over (and succeded), re-doing wasn't neccesary.

I know. I just threw someone in who would work in a "steals girl from hopeless loser" type of storyline. Plus, it would be an improvement from the usual Orton plans, which consist of sticking him in some retarded storyline that has no chance of getting him over, and then going back to default Legend Killer crap when it obviously fails.

That's another thing that would have given this storyline more sense. Why did Melina bother wasting time with Foley for so long? She got nothing out of it. Whereas if Nitro tagged along, a reason could have been given that Melina used Foley's "legend", star power, etc... to gain Nitro some popularity.

Thank you for my new sig.

Foley's talk of Melina being so kind and caring in real life flat out goes at odds with her established TV persona as a ruthless bitch.

But didn't the storyline prove that she is in fact a ruthless bitch?

As far as why Foley would see a good side in her that really didn't exist....he's a sap. He's a sucker. It wouldn't be the first time he was manipulated. I saw the whole thing as a way to write him out of the show while giving him a reason to come back as a face, as well as a way to blow off the deal with Flair without either guy losing definitively. Because lets be real, Foley has creative control, Flair has enough pull to not work with Foley if he doesn't like the way it's laid out, this feud wasn't going to happen if it meant one of them had to put the other over strong, nor did it really need that kind of ending. Both guys got their promo time, did some damage to the other, and feel like they proved their point. It accomplished what it was supposed to for both guys, while not making one out to be better than the other.

The heel turn was only done to setup a big match for ONS, after that Foley was subtly planting the seeds for the fans to start cheering for him again. Even his heel turn wasn't dastardly per se, it was clearly booked to have an easy out, well reasoned and articulated by Foley throughout. I saw him as more of a tweener, especially once he started working with Flair, where the whole vibe was of "each of us is good and bad in our own ways." I mean, if you go by the real-life basis of the feud Foley should have been the face, so this was obviously a compromise with Flair to make the program happen.

As for why Melina would even bother with Foley....it goes back to her being a ruthless bitch. Maybe she found him ammusing at first but got tired of him. Maybe she didn't like the way he started pimping their relationship publically. Maybe she just saw an opportunity to get herself over at the expense of a legend, humoured him, then humiliated him. Makes perfect sense for her character, to get off on something like that. At least give it another week to be better explained before shitting on it.

LOL.

Yeah, it was totally retarded though. Tonight especially. So Foley was a heel, who is friends with a heel (Melina), but he sees something in her that nobody else is able to see (the viewers have never been given any reason to believe Melina is anything other than the heelish/slutty persona she puts out on TV). They tie all this crap into a perfectly good Flair/Foley feud and completely ruin that.

So now we have Foley quitting the match in defense of the heel Melina, and then tonight the crowd was supposed to feel sorry for Foley because he was willing to kiss Vince's ass to save the job of his heel friend Melina? Why would ANYONE in the audience give two shits if she was "fired"? Why would ANYONE in the audience give two shits if she WASN'T fired? Now the heel Melina turns on the heel Foley after he kissed the ass of the heel Vince and Melina is still a heel, and Vince is still a heel, and Foley is uhh...

Who knows. I'm lost.