TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

oAo ECW on Sci-Fi Week 12 Thread - 8/29/2006

After watching tonights show, I sorta noticed something. Everyone that has alligned themselves with Heyman so far has been all WWE mid-cards guys except Mike Knox and thats only because someone had the bright (sarcasticly said) idea to put Knox in ECW. Does anyone think that main point of the storyline of Heyman and the mid carders vs Dreamer/RVD/Sandman/Sabu will become that Heyman has decided to use Heyman's mid-carders to help push ECW to the future and that Heyman will use his stable to get rid of Dreamer, Sandman, RVD, and Sabu?

Mike Knox is a Paul Heyman project. He's the one who wanted him in ECW.

I thought that was the whole point of this storyline.

I just wish they'd do a little more with Punk outside of the ring.

I hate Knox's finisher. It looks like he's trying to do a tango dip with the guy to set it up. And his generic body reminds me of Snitsky with a Jamie Noble face.

The Shannon Moore stuff is funny cause it's getting to the point where all he does is vignettes and will never wrestle on tv.

For some reason I'd want to see a CM vs Moore feud, or a match for the ppv.

It IS hilarious Holly and Striker rise to the top in one day, but on Raw they'd be curtainjerk dark match material. But it reminds me of how ECW was about guys no one else wanted or used correctly. But they need to stop using Snow and others as jobbers. It's a waste of money and inconsistent with who's being labeled a star and who's not. Umaga and Even freakin VITO gets jobbers fed to them. I dont think hundreds of thousands of viewers change the channel if they saw an unnamed guy instead of an old ecw guy. A squash is still a squash.

Holly I can see, but Striker no. Striker is going to have a mini feud with the Sandman and job out and then probably get buried.

The curious part about Holly was that he was in fact quite over on SD after his return in 2003/2004.

An aspect I am digging about ECW is that Heyman knows when to end some of these feuds. It looks like Dreamer/Sandman vs. Knox/Test is over for now, with Balls now likely to feud with Knox and Sandman feuding with Striker.

After watching tonights show, I sorta noticed something. Everyone that has alligned themselves with Heyman so far has been all WWE mid-cards guys except Mike Knox and thats only because someone had the bright (sarcasticly said) idea to put Knox in ECW. Does anyone think that main point of the storyline of Heyman and the mid carders vs Dreamer/RVD/Sandman/Sabu will become that Heyman has decided to use Heyman's mid-carders to help push ECW to the future and that Heyman will use his stable to get rid of Dreamer, Sandman, RVD, and Sabu?

Mike Knox is a Paul Heyman project. He's the one who wanted him in ECW.

I thought that was the whole point of this storyline.

I just wish they'd do a little more with Punk outside of the ring.

Knox, wasn't really all that bad in DSW but he got pulled up way to fast. It's sorta funny how much would assume Vince was mark for his size but it was actually Heyman's push to get Knox on the show.

The main point is that Heyman is obsessed with keeping ECW alive and I always felt the subtle character plot point was that Heyman assumes that all the original ECW stars would just ruin it again. They need to explain that Heyman just wants to keep the name around and if getting rid of the originals is the way to go, so be it.

It's a more logical "authority figure" storyline then Raw's version. At least we get why Old ECW hates Heyman and why Heyman hates Old ECW. It's only been 12 weeks and it's understandable with alot of room to expand. McMahon Vs Shawn has been stretched since December and we're still not really understanding the purpose and reason it keeps going...

As for Punk, they spent weeks building his character and pushing his morals and used that to established his ability in that ring. I hope they aren't going to do some "unbeaten" thing because that wouldn't work. I noticed they seem to put the Moore segments right before Punk's matches and I hope that doesn't lead to some program.

I do like how strong Punk is being put over by Styles and Taz by pushing him as a new breed and a future star. Punk's still adjusting to 5 minute TV matches (which is hard after 4 years of marathon matches and a year in front of a crowd that knows every nuance about you) but I do believe he's heading the right direction...

I just hope he turns heel at some point because Face Punk doesn't translate to TV and a crowd that doesn't know him and why they should love him.

See, the problem with not identifying who Heyman's "task force" is that when they finally reveal who they are, no one's going to care. Tazz will say, "OMG its . . . its the Bashams!!" Then what? What will he say? They never did anything worth caring about or that the marks would remember. So while I appreciate Heyman writing with some sort of long term plans, I don't think it was a good idea. If the "task force" should be anyone, it should be a couple of wrestlers that the fans would remember.

I really hate to say this, but I think CM Punk is a couple of dead crowds away from becoming the next spirit squad member or the Highlanders' mascot.

See, the problem with not identifying who Heyman's "task force" is that when they finally reveal who they are, no one's going to care. Tazz will say, "OMG its . . . its the Bashams!!" Then what? What will he say? They never did anything worth caring about or that the marks would remember. So while I appreciate Heyman writing with some sort of long term plans, I don't think it was a good idea. If the "task force" should be anyone, it should be a couple of wrestlers that the fans would remember.

I really hate to say this, but I think CM Punk is a couple of dead crowds away from becoming the next spirit squad member or the Highlanders' mascot.

Despite the fact he's gotten chants for most of his matches and he's getting over as you can tell by crowd reactions. Most of the show is dead unless it involves the main event acts and we've seen plently evidence that they aren't mic'ing the crowd properly.

Despite the fact he's gotten chants for most of his matches and he's getting over as you can tell by crowd reactions. Most of the show is dead unless it involves the main event acts and we've seen plently evidence that they aren't mic'ing the crowd properly.

True. I forgot.

As far as the chants go, on the average, they seem to be chanting right at the start, but then just sit on their hands for the rest of the match, but then again, it may be due to improper crowd mic'ing and dead crowds in general.

True. I forgot.

As far as the chants go, on the average, they seem to be chanting right at the start, but then just sit on their hands for the rest of the match, but then again, it may be due to improper crowd mic'ing and dead crowds in general.

It's odd because they clearly chant at the start and pop at the end...but you can see some of the crowd getting into the match but no sound to reflect this.

ECW is going to be at MSG on 9/11. The crowd will be crazy for Punk.

That has to be the show where Punk gets his first significant victory with some time. Crowds in the past have made stars out of certain wrestlers and MSG stands to make Punk that person.

True. I forgot.

It's odd because they clearly chant at the start and pop at the end...but you can see some of the crowd getting into the match but no sound to reflect this.

Maybe DX invaded the prodcution truck.

One thing thats kind of nice on ECW is that it doesn't SEEM like they're trying to protect anyone else's spot. Its not like Sabu is worrying that Punk could get too many pops or anything...

Knowing our luck Punk won't even wrestle in New York :(

Yeah I don't know why some people here thinks WWE is so eager, so willing to make Punk a star by having him go to MSG and get a big time win there. For all we know, they're going to book HHH against Punk where HHH just squashes Punk (I know that is unlikely, but just saying). People here give Vince far too much credit sometimes.

Knowing our luck Punk won't even wrestle in New York :(

Yeah I don't know why some people here thinks WWE is so eager, so willing to make Punk a star by having him go to MSG and get a big time win there. For all we know, they're going to book HHH against Punk where HHH just squashes Punk (I know that is unlikely, but just saying). People here give Vince far too much credit sometimes.

Nah... he'll more than likely get a good matchup with someone, win it, then have Shannon Moore attack him while he celebrates, so they can start that epic feud.

Is this really the third month of ECW?

Where do they go from here?

Mr. McMahon shows up on Sci-Fi to make Paul Heyman kiss his ass literally. Thus setting up Suvivor Series of Paul Heyman, Big Show, Holly, Test vs Corporate DX.

So, if I had told you in 1996 that Sabu and Paul Heyman would be facing off in ECW with The Giant helping Heyman, Rob Van Dam saving him, only for Sparky Plugg to attack RVD. Then Heyman beats Sabu. What would you had told me?

"Fuck you, Russo."

So I take it DX will be the security shlubs next week.

Yeah, that's what I'm expecting too.

I've wondered that too. If that is the plan, then it's gotta be Paul E's idea, because the whole angle is being handled way too subtly for it to be a Gerwitz or McMahon production. Even the announcers haven't mentioned anything along those lines, so it makes me wonder if Heyman is quietly sneaking his own agenda into the storylines.

Why reveal them at all? They're just a couple of rent-a-cops, security goons for hire. That's their whole gimmick. Nobody has even speculated on who they might really be.

That has to be the show where Punk gets his first significant victory with some time. Crowds in the past have made stars out of certain wrestlers and MSG stands to make Punk that person.

You're absolutely correct. My prediction: Punk jobs to the vampire.

Yet another lame show. Only three matches, and none of them were any good. Heyman does the exact same thing to Sabu that the McMahons did to DX the night before. Sandman gets the crap beat out of him by a fucking schoolteacher. Dupree and Moore do the same go-nowhere promos they've been doing for the past month. They waste five minutes plugging The Marine while more than half the roster doesn't even appear on TV. Christ this show sucks.

You could easily debut the Bashams as a tag team, and just stick two other goons in the riot gear, and never even mention that the Bashams were the original riot police.

Of course, this is assuming they even want to debut the Bashams..haha.

I'll still take 1 Hr of ECW with a main storyline that makes sense over Raw's version.

I think we're being too hard on waiting for some ax to fall on Punk, they clearly have good standing for the guy. They don't have to satisfy Heyman's wishes. They didn't have to keep his gimmick and name intact. Yet, people still act like he's going to start jobbing despite having no real basis for this thought process other then the usual 'net assumption. He has been the most established non WWE/ECW Original yet, and he is getting a clear push.

While Thorn appears every other week, It's Punk who has appeared on every show save for the first two episodes and spent weeks building his character and has effectively been pushed for his style and morals. Tazz and Styles aren't putting any of the other new talents over as hard as they have with Punk.

Does that mean Punk is going to main event anytime soon? Not a chance but all this "HHH is gonna bury him at MSG" stuff is typical paranoia that holds no ground.

I'll still take 1 Hr of ECW with a main storyline that makes sense over Raw's version.

Well the thing is, watching the show, it is evident that ECW has the pieces of the pie to make it successful. There seems to be more upside to the ECW show. With RAW it literally feels like the same show every single week, maybe because it is a 2 hour show, but the way the McMahon/DX feud is dominating the show, and everything else INCLUDING THE WORLD TITLE FEUD, is just there to fill time in between McMahon segments, really hurts the overall show.

The rating was a 1.9 according to Da Meltz.

I think I can explain it. No Kelly Kelly, right? Wait, I know, it was Labor Day weekend, just like the last rating under 2.0 was on Indy Day. What do you mean it's NEXT Monday...? Ok, maybe it was the internet fanbase finding out Angle got fired, and left the show in protest. Wait, that makes no sense, since WWE publicly fired him on their website. Maybe it's because Sci-Fi fans were subjected to 2 nights of "sports entertainment," instead of, I don't know, science fiction.

Anyone else got any ideas? I'm serious, too.