TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Epic Reine

Matches that ended abrubtly

What are some matches that ended out of nowhere with no build up?

Chris Jericho vs William Regal from WMX7 comes to mind. Also, RVD vs Eddie Guerrero in the King Of The Ring tournament on a Raw in 2002. RVD scored the win with a rollup out of nowhere, I was sitting there thinking, that was it?

sigh

Another wierd ending is Cactus/HHH from Rumble 2000, Cactus kicks out of a pedigree and the crowd is going nuts, then Trips hits him with another pedigree INTO THE TACKS for the win. Weird to see a big kickout, crowd pop, then immediate defeat,

of course you could say the same for Booker/HHH from WM 19, with the pinfall taking approx 45 seconds to complete.

as for more to the topic abrupt, Perfect/Blazer from wm 5 ended far too quickly. Perfect/Rooster from Summerslam 89 ended quick, cuz Taylor suffered an injury, but the match wa slooking good before that,

Kid/Owen KOTR 94, maybe the best 3 minute match youll ever see, man if it only got more time, add to that Taka/Aguila from wm 14, to a lesser extent

Booker T/Rock Summerslam 01, Booker hits the scissor kick, instead of pinning does the spinarooni, only to spin around right into a Rock Bottom as Rocky jumped up, for the pin. That came out of nowhere and caught me offguard

Holly/Lesnar also from Rumble 2004, was a 5 minute extended squash for Brock, just when it seemed Holly

was taking over on offense, he screws up and Brock hits an f-5 and its done. Not enough buildup, especially when it involves a guy coming back from a serious neck injury.

but maybe these are not true to the topic?

Another wierd ending is Cactus/HHH from Rumble 2000, Cactus kicks out of a pedigree and the crowd is going nuts, then Trips hits him with another pedigree INTO THE TACKS for the win. Weird to see a big kickout, crowd pop, then immediate defeat,

That's because Foley called an audible on the fly. The pedigree was the original finish but Foley wanted something totally brutal. I remember reading about how Foley got a lot of heat from Vince because of the fact he did that, especially because of Mick's safety. Realizing this came after Foley got a ton of heat from Vince because of KOTR 98.

Nigel McGuiness Vs Bryan Danielson- Generation Now. It was 25 minutes of a very hard hitting and vicious technical match mixed with some great brawls that ended with a flash pin while the crowd hadn't even seen Danielson crawl back into the ring. The match had the feel of a 60 minute draw forthcoming (which ended up occuring a few weeks later between these two) and it was over.

On a side note...

Danielson/McGuiness has been the best singles series of the year and that's without seeing the last two editions of that series.

Kidman vs. Malenko in the "Catch as catch can" match from Souled Out 2000 (?).

Every match on the undercard for the Rumble 04 except HHH-HBK, although Brock-Holly was understandable. Being there live, everyone in my section was confused when the table match ended after one table bump in 4 minutes. They hadn't announced the one out rule prior.

Guest wildpegasus

I think Bret vs Benoit at Mayhem 99 may have ended abruptly

Of course, you have the famous Fujinami vs Maeda NJPW match which had to end abruptly

Kidman vs. Malenko in the "Catch as catch can" match from Souled Out 2000 (?).

Best example so far.

An abrupt ending is something that seems out of place, even in hindsight. Others that come to mind...

Davey Boy Smith/Rick Steamboat (Wrestling Classic)

Sabu/Rey Misterio (ONS '06)

Jimmy Snuka/Don Muraco (MSG Cage Match)

Guest Askewniverse

HHH vs. Cactus didn't have an abrupt ending. When HHH hit the Pedigree onto the thumbtacks, most people knew the match was over.

Owen vs. Kid may have been a short match, but the ending wasn't abrupt. Owen won with a powerbomb and Sharpshooter.

Hart vs. Benoit at Mayhem '99 didn't have an abrupt ending. Bret hit a double leg takedown into the Sharpshooter after fighting out of a Crossface attempt.

Alkeiper's definition of an abrupt ending is the best way to go. An "out of nowhere" finish doesn't necessarily qualify as an abrupt ending.

Guest wildpegasus
\

Hart vs. Benoit at Mayhem '99 didn't have an abrupt ending. Bret hit a double leg takedown into the Sharpshooter after fighting out of a Crossface attempt.

You can tell from the build that the ending was abrupt. They went to the finishing sequence (one of the coolest finishing sequences ever :) ) right out of the blue. I sense time restraints, a possible go home early signal and the interference helped to make the ending more abrupt. Or perhaps some mixups along the line. It's still a very good match though with an exceptionally cool ending.

HHH vs. Cactus didn't have an abrupt ending. When HHH hit the Pedigree onto the thumbtacks, most people knew the match was over.

Owen vs. Kid may have been a short match, but the ending wasn't abrupt. Owen won with a powerbomb and Sharpshooter.

Alkeiper's definition of an abrupt ending is the best way to go. An "out of nowhere" finish doesn't necessarily qualify as an abrupt ending.

yea thats why I said Im not sure if these count

I couldnt really think of a real good example when I posted

second the hardy-edge match

Guest Fook

Cena vs JBL from WM21. Cena takes punishment for 10 minutes, then suddenly picks up JBL and hits the FU for the win. Pretty much everyone in the crowd was shocked that it ended that quickly and completely out of nowhere.

Of course, you have the famous Fujinami vs Maeda NJPW match which had to end abruptly

I just saw this match. Great stuff and very brutal. Maeda is a crazy MFer.

Cena vs JBL from WM21. Cena takes punishment for 10 minutes, then suddenly picks up JBL and hits the FU for the win. Pretty much everyone in the crowd was shocked that it ended that quickly and completely out of nowhere.

Thats right on. No wonder the crowd didnt react that loudly it was so random. It was obvious they toned it down so as not to distract from HHHS big main event with Batista. If thier JD match happened here it would have been much more memorable. and after how many months of JBL barely holding onto the title, you'd have hoped for a better, more satisfying end

I recall a match from Survivor Series 1997 that ended ubruptly. I cant seem to remember which one. Its on the tip of my tounge.....

That was actually Austin and Owen in their rematch from Summerslam. The ending was so abrupt that even JR had to comment "I thought Austin would've wanted to punish him a little more."

I was just watching the HBK/Austin vs Owen/Bulldog tag title match from 97, and I've gotta say the finish for that one comes outta nowhere. Not to the point where it hurts the match (it actually adds a lot to it), but even now, knowing how things went down, the ending kinda catches me off guard whenever I watch it.

Guest Stuttsy
Holly/Lesnar also from Rumble 2004, was a 5 minute extended squash for Brock, just when it seemed Holly

was taking over on offense, he screws up and Brock hits an f-5 and its done. Not enough buildup, especially when it involves a guy coming back from a serious neck injury.

First match I thought of when I read the subject. It's literally like Brock got tired of working Holly and said "Well, I'm tired of wrestling this guy. F5," and it was over. Really abrupt. A lot of royal rumble undercard matches come off abrupt, I think because they cram everything in to conserve time for the Rumble. Which is nuts, because they have THREE HOURS of time and only use about 2/3 of it for the wrestling, so they trim the undercard matches and keep the awful skits and promos in tact.

Guest jm29195

Benoit/Orton from Summerslam 04, although that sort of ending is expected with a finisher like the RKO/Diamond-Cutter....

Even though it was an abrupt end because of a storyline that was happening...

Michaels/O. Hart from Raw.

The "Michaels Collapses After Owen's Enzugiri" one.

I might have known wrestling was fake back in the day, but as things like Owen/Austin SSlam97 and other such in-ring injuries have told us, not everything is fake. When he kicked him and Shawn's eyes just glazed over and he went down like that, I really thought I saw something go horribly wrong. The way they followed up on it added fuel to that fire, and only years later when I started running around the internet did I learn how it was all a work.

"Tell Me A Lie" still rules though, I don't care if it was done as a work. It's awesome.

Eddie vs Chavo at Royal Rumble 04 seemed like the first 8 minutes of a great 20 minute match and then it just ended.

Yeah, that was insane. All that buildup for... eight minutes

Yeah, that was a really well done angle. Owen's enziguiri had never been sold as death, and Owen seemed to be too midcard for Shawn to be putting him over like that.

The fact that the announcers ran to ringside really sold it too, it seemed unprecedented.