TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HollywoodSpikeJenkins

Top 5 Active Writers

1.Toxx - He's the best writer in the fed right now. He always writes and it's quality everytime. Reason he's champ.

2.Tom - self explanatory, no?

3.Bruce Blank - for whatever reason, people don't seem to like him on a peronsal level, but seriously, the man has really stepped it up recently, including a MOTY candidate at Battleground

4.Gabriel Drake - I haven't been reading shows in their entirety lately out of lazyness, so his match against me was the first I read, and it was really, really good. And being the fed's play-by-play's gotta be worth something.

5.I'd say JJ, but he hasn't showed since, what, July? So I'm going with a tie between Landon and Graps. Both show semi-consistantly, and when they do it's always a fun read.

So there it is. Start showing up, JJ.

1. Toxx- He's the champ, puts together angles, and is consistantly awesome. He's probably one of the better main event champions since ELM's run with the title.

2. Wildchild- Akira you missed this guy. He's really good with little weaknesses. It's basically a tie between him and number three...

3. Tom Flesher- He sucks.

4. Bruce Blank- Ditto Akira's comments.

5. Gabriel and Landon- I think Gabriel is the better writer, but Landon has the best character in the fed in my opinion.

Two straight posts that are on topic, lolz or whatever.

In no particular order...

I think Wildchild has to be on there, but he's not active at the moment.

Toxxic's a given.

Landon's efforts are always excellent.

Drake's a great writer, and has been since he was writing the Mak character.

And, of course, Cutthroat.

1) Mike – there is a reason why he’s the champ after all, always putting in the effort, always putting in the matches/promos/whatever which I got nothing but respect for.

2) Flesher – There is a reason why he’s a legend after all, when he’s on he’s damn near unbeatable IMO.

3) Wildchild – If he’d seriously go for the world title then I think whomever the champ is at the time would start to sweat bullets. (He writes promos, he's active enough to count)

4 & 5 – well that’s where it gets a bit tricky to pick and if you look at what some writers capable off then I’ve got a group to chose from that includes Landon, Johnson, Hawke, Zyon & Mak/Drake who could all easily occupy spots 4 or 5

1. Ace309: The Tom Flesher character is so firmly established in SWF lore that he doesn't even need a title to be over! The only writer whom, in my opinion, can write a match where he completely squashes his opponent, and have it be credible. Hell, he even made Ghost Machine look legit... fucking Ghost Machine! He's easily the most versatile writer: he can work any style (technical, brawl, high-flying, etc.), or any kind of match, whether it be straight singles, multi-mans, tag team, “traditional” stips (like ladders and cages) or gimmicks (House Rules, like vodka matches). But what I probably like most about his writing is his pacing: better than any other active writer, Ace309 has an innate sense of when a match should have an “epic” feel, and when it’s just a “passing through” kind of match, but also has the unique ability to write both in such away as to hold the reader’s attention, and send them away thinking that they “got their money’s worth.”

2. MikeofEvil: Consistently plans excellent angles which have a way of getting large portions of the fed involved. And while my personal favorite of his alter egos was TORU Takahara, the strength of his writing is most clearly on display with the Michael “Toxxic” Stephens character. Toxxic reminds me most of Ejiro Fasaki in that his character is flawed: he’s not the fastest, nor the strongest, nor the toughest, nor the best wrestler. But what he has over everyone else is a single-minded determination to prove all his critics wrong by becoming the best that there is, and to establish an attribute like that without the overuse of hyperbolic promos and constantly regurgitating catchphrases is a sign of good writing. Another great thing about Toxxic being a flawed character is that, for the most part, it makes him an easy character to write, and his weaknesses mean that just about anybody in the fed can conceivably be a threat to beat him, which also makes his character fun to write, both of which are, in my opinion, just about the two highest compliments that you can give another writer’s character.

3. kellogs/Above Average: I don’t know if I can ever recall a more fluid writer in the fed… Mak/Ryan/Gabe always flows from spot to spot so well, that any attempt that I could make to elaborate on it would border on being disrespectful. I’m a big fan of his attention to detail, and the way that he makes little things that come up early in the match end up being significant down the line. I also like the way that you can often “see” the character’s thought process throughout the match; it’s not quite as extreme as Christian “first person” Fury, but the occasional injections of character dialogue in the middle of a match helps to bring meat to storylines, like Mak’s feud with Danny, and what Gabriel is doing right now with Toxxic; it kind of fleshes out the story a little better, and requires the reader to do more than just read the RPs to figure out what’s going on, and I’ve ALWAYS been a fan angles whose stories can be told inside the ring.

4. King_Cucaracha: Probably the best big-match writer in the fed. I’ve always felt that he overdoes it with the word limits (or lack thereof) on PPV, but there’s no question that, when an epic is in order, he delivers. He’s got the “annoying, conniving, chickenshit heel” down to a science with the Landon character, and you had to have been around for the House of Todd days to appreciate just how much he’s evolved as a writer. Those of us who have been here a while have literally watched Landon Maddix grow up, as he’s gone from being a comedy act, to a sidekick, to a frustrated midcarder to a cocky upper-midcarder to the youngest World Heavyweight Champion in fed history to an evil mastermind… not bad for someone that used to “carry Todd Royal’s bags” and was once thought of as the weak link of his tag team.

5. HollywoodSpikeJenkins: That’s right, I said it. The only thing that has ever really held him down is consistency. The Spike Jenkins character is versatile and easy to write; just good enough at everything that he seems believable performing almost any move or hold. There’s no denying that the writer understands the dynamics of a captivating wrestling storyline, as he has authored some beauts which, tragically, he has exhibited a propensity for not following up on. And, of course, in his most ambitious effort, an underdog story which I may have publicly ridiculed but secretly admired, he simply ran into a superior writer in El Luchadore Magnifico. But the talent is definitely there; I don’t think that there’s a writer in the fed whom Spike can’t best when he’s motivated. Unfortunately, how to motivate him seems to be the $64,000 question.

Thank you WC, although I'm surprised that you peg Toxx as easy to write - maybe in this incarnation, but before I remember some real difficulties you were having with writing a "non-cheating heel with a glass jaw" (or some similar description) as you found you couldn't get the match dynamics right.

That was before I realized how much Toxxic was like WC... except somehow a dominant character, despite his weaknesses.

He's dominant because he finds a way to maximise his strengths and minimise his weaknesses (i.e. avoids getting hit too many times, usually). However, I'd agree that he's not and has never been the "sympathetic beatdown" babyface, who takes an absolute shitkicking but still somehow pulls the match out. He was always the arrogant heel who would prove his opponents wrong by just being simply better rather than cheating, and these days is as close to a badass face as someone with his low strength and vitality can be.

Then again, I've never done weak characters. They normally never back down from a fight, even if their abilites are lacking in some areas (I mean, Amy is NOT a good wrestler, at all, or even all that quick - she's just mental and hits fairly hard). TORU, who you liked best, was the biggest example of this - he couldn't mat wrestle that well, but his strikes were nasty, he had power and toughness AND was quick. However, he's also the only one of my characters you've beaten one-on-one, so maybe that's why you like him :P

I miss TORU. Much as Toxxic is my most developed character, TORU was smashy fun.

However, he's also the only one of my characters you've beaten one-on-one, so maybe that's why you like him :P
Actually, I liked TORU best because he reminded me of the Barbarian, who was one of my favorite late 80s-early 90s heels.

Ah, shit. I know who you mean, just channeled the wrong big man beginning with 'B'. Never mind, a HUSS~ is never out of place.

Whew! I'm very happy to see that Maddix has sobered up and didn't put me in his list (Though he didn't post his list, so I might be there, which would be bad). Seriously, if you consider me, in any incarnation, to be in the top five of active writers, you've got to be ingesting so much intoxihol that...I don't have a finish to that. Which just goes to show how bad a writer I am.

lullerz.

And were this a list of top people in picking college football games, it would go:

1. Stryke

2. Nostradamus

3. Some Amish guy

4. A dead penguin

5. Pile of rocks

6-9 . Everything else

10. Me