TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

OAO ECW TV Day 91 Thread - September/5th/2006.

These are the usual WWE sheep, let them book DX vs. Show in either the Hammerstein or the real bingo hall and we would be hearing different chants.

Yeah you wouldn't want the people watching on TV to hear fans enjoying themselves.

So yeah it was the perfect setting for an RVD run in, considering he is kind of in a feud with Holly, and he wants the title from Big Show, but of course not in this world, in this world we need SUPER-DX to fight off four wrestlers on their own.

Overall I liked the show, until of course the Main event.

Funny how RVD and Sabu are usually headlining ECW shows, yet this week they are relegated to curtain jerking as to systematically remove them from people's thoughts by the time the 40 year old pranksters hit the ring.

So yeah it was the perfect setting for an RVD run in, considering he is kind of in a feud with Holly, and he wants the title from Big Show, but of course not in this world, in this world we need SUPER-DX to fight off four wrestlers on their own.

I'd rather have it the way it was then to have RVD actually help out DX.

Guest droptoehold

dont be jealous DX RULES!

in real life / mondays / and now tuesdays!

HHH had to get over w/ his vampire following!

it only makes sense...hes the BIGGEST sci fi

star in the company!

I'd rather have it the way it was then to have RVD actually help out DX.

I would agree except for the fact that the Main Event tonight in E-C-W, did NOTHING to further along any E-C-W angles or storylines. This exact same match could have taken place on RAW, and I would have been fine with it, but on an E-C-W show, they should be concentrating on furthering E-C-W storylines ahead. As if DX needs any help from ECW anyway.

I knew something was wrong in my head when I originally heard TWO matches on ECW actually being extreme rules. I should have known better.

I'm glad RVD and Sabu didn't help out DX tonight though. It makes no sense. RVD hates HHH (not sure about HBK) so there's no way he'd give a shit.

Damn though, I love seeing Sabu and RVD tag. They flat out beat the piss out of Test and Knox tonight. Am I crazy or did I hear Joey Styles actually say something like "Test and Knox have an advantage here?" Yeah Joey, these two dipshits who have tagged all of 2 months are going to stand a chance in a hardcore match against two of the most insane fuckers in wrestling history, and who have tagged with each other on and off for a decade. What we got there was exactly what we should have got, namely RVD and Sabu leaving Test and Knox laying.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
Never thought I'd see Trips on Tuesday.
He's worked Tuesdays before... he beat Flair in a cage match on Tuesday less than a year ago.

Actually, Flair beat Triple H in the Steel Cage match last year at Taboo Tuesday 2005.

Stevies Richards should be Thorn's bitch, like he was Raven's.

The main event had no right being on ECW - it felt and was worked just like a goddamn Raw "main event" style match. Holly was out there to get some sort of rub which was sad because other than for that reason, this should not have been on here tonight. It was another lame attempt for WWE to "cross-brand" thinking the rating will jump. All I got to say is it fucking better not!

Otherwise the rest of the show was quite alright.

Guest Defiler101

I actually really enjoyed this show. I don't post a lot, but I felt like I needed to give ECW some love. It's the only WWE show I really even watch anymore.

Tonight's show was a lot of fun to me.

The opener was AWESOME. I'm usually not the kind of fan that shouts or gets excited when he's watching a show, but when Sabu did that crossbody off the chair and all 4 guys fell into the table, I actually started smiling like a little kid and then followed that up by pumping my fists and clapping. Super gay, but super fun at the same time. And for as much hate as Test gets, I actually like him in ECW. Knox is sort of bland right now, though. Decent character, but probably overdone and not really providing anything unique. (It's one thing to rehash an angle(s) but it's another thing to suck at it) Anyway, the ending with the frogsplash/leg drop from Sabu and RVD on to Knox was F'N GREAT and just capped off a really good opener.

Matt Striker's stuff... I don't know... I just wish these characters could appear in ways that aren't so predictable. He's a pretty decent character, and can probably fit in really well... but with the Sandman? "Hey you drink beer! And are violent! I AM SMART!" I don't mind the gimmick. It fits for an ECW heel, but just for once it'd be nice if WWE didn't go with the blatantly obvious. It also doesn't help that Sandman DOES look retarded everytime he goes out. You take like 90 minutes to walk to the ring, and you're pissed when the guy doesn't stay to fight? If ECW wants to be "real" or whatever Heyman said in those various interviews... Sandman should have just charged out and beat him down. Then have Striker react to his new circumstances. God forbid they give their characters depth and let them grow past their 1 dimensional roots.

I liked the Kevin Thorne stuff. I know he's another guy that some people don't like, but he's decent enough promo wise (from what I've seen) and seems like he can be (at the bare minimum) competent in the ring. I'll also say that I marked a little inside when Stevie won on account of Thorne. A) I didn't expect that and B) they could easily have Stevie work with Thorne (ala Raven circa 1995-1996). It'd give an ECW original some shit to do, and also offer up a small bit of "nostalgia" for the older fans. Also, it looks like maybe Thorne/Balls could actually be a long term thing and be one of those sleeper angles. Because right now, there really wasn't a reason for Thorne to be out. He beat Balls handily in their last outing and there wasn't really any need for retribution. As sort of a tiny detail... Balls was "cautious" of Thorne but didn't seem distracted. Like, he was miffed that Thorne would be out there, but didn't really know why and so he didn't let it affect him until the end when Thorne interfered.

CM Punk bitch slapping Moore was GREAT. I like the idea of Moore being a "poser" punk character because GOD KNOWS that is a very real demographic, and it'll lend itself to the boos he'll receive. The "emo" thing has been hinted at pretty much in style alone with a few various wrestlers, but I don't think I've seen it come to fruition as an entire gimmick. Moore can do it, I think. Just tell Shannon "be yourself" and he'll get over as a major ECW heel :)

The main event wasn't bad for what it was worth. I'm not a fan of the crossover stuff, and ESPECIALLY not when they change things around to accomadate for it. They didn't play it up like DX were outsiders sans the constant "ISNT THIS SURREAL?". Not really. And that's what frustrates me about shit... They use nostalgia where it "helps" but then when people shit on something they're like "well this isn't the old ECW."

I have no problem with the "new" ECW. In this day in age, it's unrealistic to expect to see the same things we did in the 90s out of our favorite names. HOWEVER, it'd be nice if the commentators acknowledged this ALL THE TIME and not just when they're trying to shut up critics. Like if when DX came out (or anyone for that matter that isnt on the ECW roster), instead of Joey being like "Isn't this surreal? DX IN ECW OMG!" it'd be a lot more "tolerable" if he was like "Well, you'd never see these guys even NEAR an ECW show 10 years ago, but this is the NEW ECW. Heyman has a lot more options with Vince's money"

And then have Joey/Tazz be a little skeptical. I don't see why that's so hard? It's a simple detail and doesn't insult our inteligence. It's mark friendly too. More than pretending this is "the real ECW" even.

That all being said, ultimately (for now) I think having the crossovers... DX showing up, etc... It brings a couple fans over who might not have watched... They then see some of these "new" characters and now they're interested.

The match itself was good for what it was. Do I like the Unforgiven shilling? No. But HHH/HBK/Big Show worked a good match (Big Show has been great since going to ECW), and say what you will... HHH drilling Basham Security in the helmet with that sledge hammer was fantastic. I cracked up.

I definitely got the sense that they're going to start taking some more risks and working with getting new talent over and into the spotlight. It takes years to build superstars, and we have to realize that a lot of these guys are TOTALLY NEW to the WWE fanbase. So you have to ease them into things.

Definite thumbs up, IMO on the show this week. Only thing I didn't like was the Striker segment for it's "cookie-cutter" like qualities.

EDIT: I got lost in a tangent and didn't complete a thought on the cross-over stuff.

-I've been loving Striker's character (and agreeing on some of his points), but the stingray comment was not cool at all. I'll hope for better from him next week.

-Punk coming out during the Shannon Moore bit was great. I saw someone's shadow on the wall and just thought it was a production person. I loved that "do something" look he gave Moore while Moore stood there looking like he was about to cry.

On Moore/Punk:

Didn’t I hear a few weeks ago that the WWE would be signing TNA talent just to bury them or just not use them at all? It all makes sense that they’d let Moore use a gimmick that the WWE didn’t come up with b/c they embarrass TNA and make them look like “posers” by using a stupid gimmick. Yeah, I know, I’m probably reading too much into this than I should, but it wouldn’t be the first time and won’t be the last. Moore is a reject from TNA and the one guy that TNA would love to have and could’ve had is calling him a poser.

My god though. They looked like they were about to make out a few times there.