TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

Prison Break

Checked it out tonight on a co-workers recommendation tonight and thought it was very solid. You can clearly see how Lost has influenced shows that are coming out this fall in the way the plotlines and character's are done. They did a really good job of establishing the story and the main players.

WHAT WORKED

- Wentworth Miller as Michael Schofield is a great find. Michael has a great way that he carries himself, the confidence but not enough to cross lines or piss off the wrong people. Plus, he's already been involved in one riot and looks to be one toe short come next week so he's starting off pretty hard.

- Peter Stormare. This guy is in everything and he's always good. Guy's like the white Danny Trejo.

- Like, 5 or 6 shankings in a 2 hour episode is good. If they can regulate a level of 2 or 3 they'll be good.

- The girl from The Craft isn't terrible despite me thinking she has been in other stuff.

- I like the layout of the prison, it's got a different feel then most other prison-based shows and films.

I'll be checking the next one out this Monday to see if they can follow up on a well-planted storyline so far.

Getting out of prison is only the beginning. Once they escape, not only are they going to be on the run, but they have to find the people behind the setup for the murder which just from the first episodes goes very high in washington. There can be plenty of little side stories run off of a conspiracy plot that makes it last without getting stale.

Guest Fishyswa

The tattoo thing was a bit much, and I still don't understand how that was supposed to make sense, but other than that the show definitely shows promise.

- The girl from The Craft isn't terrible despite me thinking she has been in other stuff.

She was in "Empire Records", too.

The murdered priest also played Harris (the veteran pitcher) in "Major League".

She was also in that mountain climbing movie with Bill Paxton and Chris O'Donnell.

great, but how the hell are they gonna do a second season?

Interviews with the producers imply that the breakout can be delayed so that it doesn't occur this year.

Good casting with Stacey Keach as The Pope, although I think it might work better if he was a little more of an asshole - not Titus' dad level, but somewhere in between that and his current demeanour.

On the bad side, how many stereotypes did they fit into that prison? And why didn't Ratner get his buddy Chris Tucker to cameo as a guy who gets shanked?

Guest Coffey

She was in "Empire Records", too.

She has amazing eyes.

I liked the show. I watched both the first and second episodes last night. Either that or it was the first show and it was two hours long, I don't really know. Not much of a difference either way.

I was intrigued. It caught my attention. I mean, it's no Oz, but for non-pay channels, it's pretty good. Whenever I see shows like this, I just wish they were on more risque channels so that they can have vulgar language, etc.

Still, I thought it was good and I'll probably follow it.

EDIT: Alright, I can't link to an imageshack picture of her for whatever reason.

That's going to be the truest test of the shows appeal: whether or not it can still appear to be gritty and edgy without any of the benefits that specialty channels provide. If the writers and directors are good enough they'll find ways of getting around the subjects in terms of showing them while still being able to make them seem important.

Guest CurryMan

The show has made alot of news in here in Sweden both that a swedish channel bought the right to show it here and that Peter Stormare is in it. Every time a swede is in a big show or movie in USA it get a lot of news. But the show seemed intriguing (sp?) and they drow parallel to Lost so I give it a chans and d/l the first two episods.

And I liked it, I will definitly watch with intresst what is going on in the next episods. As someone mentioned the tattoos was alittle to much bet everything else made me more intrested. The cast seems solid and I have enjoyed the work of Peter Stormare since his early days working with Ingmar Bergman here in Sweden.

- I like the layout of the prison, it's got a different feel then most other prison-based shows and films.

They are using the actual Joliet Prison as the set, it was in use until 2002.

They obviously made a few changes, but I think thats one of the things that makes the show.

Also, it only lasts 13 episodes (11 more) so I figure if they want to draw out the escape into next season, they could... The problem is that its going to be off for almost all of October due to baseball. However, FX will be running a marathon of the first 7 episodes in October like the week before the new episodes start airing. Then the remaining episodes air, and then 24 starts in January. I've got to say that Prison Break is the perfect show to occupy 24's time slot, as its paced about the same and has the same feel to me.

Hearing that FX is going to run a marathon is good news, because with both RAW and football on Mondays, it's going to be tough to tape. I loved the show (caught the encore presentation of the premiere) and will definitely follow this. At least hearing about the marathon means I won't have to wait until a DVD release (pending the show is successful, of course).

Watch out Malibu, we be talkin' spoilers up in herre.......

Good episode tonight, nothing mind-blowing but totally solid and does a good job of leading us on regarding the plot. Peter Storemare's character is probably my favorite so far, the look on his face when his kids ran into the visitation room was awesome. Not sure what the new cellmate is going to do for Michael but I'm betting that the fact that he never sleeps will play into it somehow.

I'll be switching to it to at least keep myself up to speed, I just most likely won't get to see complete eps until the marathon. I've no problem with checking in on the discussion.

The man John Abruzzi is trying to find, Fibonacci..

Well..Fibonacci has been rolling around in my head for a while..and I finally realized that it was from my math class a long time ago..

The Fibonacci Sequence

0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13 (add the first two numbers to get the third, then add the 2nd and 3rd to get the 4th and so on..)

No idea what this means, if anything..

Oh, and the new prison cellmate is played by Silas Mitchell who was Eli in the first season of 24. Oddly enough, he was also in Push Nevada..

Great episode. I'm really getting into this show.

Random thoughts....

Michael's cellmate was all kinds of creepy tonight. Both he and the lead FBI agent have made good villains for the show.

On the same token, I like that Michael and Abruzzi have suddenly struck a partnership. They antagonize each other pretty well.

I didn't like how they didn't go back to the child molestor dude that got his ass kicked last week. I guess he can't be a thorn in Mike's side anymore now that Abruzzi is around, but he should have still made an appearance.

And I can't believe they're already going through with the prison break next week. I don't know if I'm happy about it or not -- I think they might be moving a bit too fast with this aspect of the plot -- but I'm definitely interesting in seeing where they go with this now.

All in all, this show really has surpassed my expectations so far.

And the Cute Poison thing..I know I wasnt the only one who was faked out, thinking he was going to use it to poison Haywire.

I'm sure people bit on the swerve, but for once I didn't believe it. Even more amazing, I remembered stuff from chemistry...

Anyways, that was an... interesting way of getting rid of Haywire, who I'm sure will turn up in another episode. I was looking forward to Michael shanking someone, but apparently he believes he's Batman or something, and won't kill...

Yeah, I guess they did pull off a swerve this week. Oh well. Still a very good episode though.

THE GOOD

Definite tension as Michael scouted out the route, especially when he got caught on the roof.

Stacy Keach has been great so far, particularly in this episode. The plotline with his illegitimate son was a good twist, and he looked like a badass at the end for standing up for Scofield as he did. It's a shame Michael's going to eventually make him look like an idiot.

The revelation of the videotape holding several plotholes. Very interesting.

Michael's march through the prison gates at the end was a very good scene. Abruzzi telling his friend to tell his wife and kids "to get the hell out of the country now" was very telling of just how much the prison break means. Good emotional scene.

THE BAD

For some reason, this episode seemed a little more implausible than the others. From Michael being able to escape through all those grates without a single one having a lock....to the entire key-making process with the key working absolutely perfectly. Obviously, a show like this is going to need some creative freedom, but hopefully they don't stretch it too far.

The flashback between the two brothers seemed unnecessary. I know what they were going for there, but it just looked like they were tacking on an emotional scene for the sake of being emotional.

Next week looks to be good as well. Yeah, the prison riot idea has been overdone, but all the interwoven storylines between Michael and some of the other inmates should lead to a few very interesting scenes.

Yeah, I guess they did pull off a swerve this week. Oh well. Still a very good episode though.

THE GOOD

Definite tension as Michael scouted out the route, especially when he got caught on the roof.

Stacy Keach has been great so far, particularly in this episode. The plotline with his illegitimate son was a good twist, and he looked like a badass at the end for standing up for Scofield as he did. It's a shame Michael's going to eventually make him look like an idiot.

The revelation of the videotape holding several plotholes. Very interesting.

Michael's march through the prison gates at the end was a very good scene. Abruzzi telling his friend to tell his wife and kids "to get the hell out of the country now" was very telling of just how much the prison break means. Good emotional scene.

THE BAD

For some reason, this episode seemed a little more implausible than the others. From Michael being able to escape through all those grates without a single one having a lock....to the entire key-making process with the key working absolutely perfectly. Obviously, a show like this is going to need some creative freedom, but hopefully they don't stretch it too far.

The flashback between the two brothers seemed unnecessary. I know what they were going for there, but it just looked like they were tacking on an emotional scene for the sake of being emotional.

Next week looks to be good as well. Yeah, the prison riot idea has been overdone, but all the interwoven storylines between Michael and some of the other inmates should lead to a few very interesting scenes.

I was kinda thinking how did the Warden leave at just before 5, go home, talk to the Feds and then go back to the Church in under an hour? We're talkin taking liberties with timing on a 24 level with that.

And I knew that the "Breakout" this week wasn't really that, more like a scout mission than a diversion though. The Fitz/English/Percy thing..I thought it was code for something, but it turning out to be streets was pretty interesting.

And when the Governor's Daughter/Doctor asked Lincoln about his family medical history and he didn't mention Diabetes..I thought for sure she'd catch on to that.

I knew that the Warden was going to redo Micheal's petition thing to leave, but the closer he got to the bus I kept thinking, maybe Micheal gets out of it some other way..

I think this was the best episode yet but I feel that the episodes are getting better each week.

Well, there's still the whole government conspiracy to work out.

Figure they'll break out in the season finale...

Season 2 could be about them trying to hide from the feds while still trying to figure out exactly what the conspiracy is about. You figure they'll split from Abruzzi and Sucre once they get out of there, so the show will probably focus more on the two brothers and the lawyer chick.

Or the breakout can get thwarted in the season finale and they get stuck with a whole new mess on their hands.

They should at least be able to squeeze a Season 2 out of this show if they want to, if not more seasons after that.

And when the Governor's Daughter/Doctor asked Lincoln about his family medical history and he didn't mention Diabetes..I thought for sure she'd catch on to that.

I actually thought that too, but I guess he might have covered up for that by saying he's abandoned Michael since they were kids. In that case, it's possible he wouldn't even know his brother might have diabetes.

Edited by NY Untouchable

Guest El Satanico

I'm figuring the warden not being the typical ball buster and actually being good to Michael, will come into play later somehow.

Although, he defied the government agent guys, who are in all likelyhood going to tell his wife about his son. If she leaves him, then the Taj will be kindof pointless. If Michael isn't helping him with that, he wouldn't have an in with the warden anymore.