TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

I just like how he points out the stupid game design that was in these games. Most NES games are terrible.

i am thinking of getting a Wii in the next couple months, i have seen where it hooks up with the RCA cables (the Yellow, Red, White ones) into the TV, i need to know, will it hook up with the Yellow and White cables into my TV because thats what i got on my TV, or do i need to use all three cables, thanks for any help

Guest Smues

It'll work. You can either just stick either the white or red one in, or get a Y adaptor to convert the red/white into one.

gee, how clever...20 minute rants about games that are nearly 20 years old.

I can understand bitching about old NES games, but to go into that much depth and then video tape it with attempts at humor thrown in there? lame.

I had never watched him before tonight, now I just saw all of them. There were funny bits. The power glove senors falling off the tv was good. So was the jump in TMNT that he just ended up walking over.

Yeah, Power Glove was great. The release of that video was well timed, too--the Wii was still a ways away and lots of folks were speculating on how effective it will be.

Wow--internets are serious business around here...

Ninty has put out a VC press release for today:

Do you have an itch to blast bug-shaped space fighters? Have you ever whether Dr. Bomb was a medical doctor or a Ph.D.? Do you resolve all your disputes with a heated round of Rock, Paper, Scissors? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you'll want to pay a visit to the popular Wii video game system's Wii Shop Channel.

Three new classic games go live at 9 a.m. Pacific time. Nintendo adds new games to the channel every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

Galaga (NES®, 1-2 players, 500 Wii Points): Players control their fighters, with their unique ability to combine with other fighters and shoot down the invading aliens. Aliens attack in formations using a variety of attack patterns. Rescue a captured fighter to combine with it, forming a Dual Fighter with twice the firepower. Earn Perfect Bonuses more easily by using a Dual Fighter on the Challenging Stages. Galaga was released in 1981 and became an instant classic with its innovative fighter-combination system and varied enemy attack patterns.

BRAVOMAN (Turbografx16, 1 player, 600 Wii Points): The village of Nitta has been invaded by the army of Dr. Bomb, an evil scientist who is plotting to take over the world. Facing this crisis is Bravoman, who received his powers from Alpha Man to stand up against Dr. Bomb in the name of justice. The village of Nitta consists of 22 stages -- action stages that take place on the ground and shooting stages that take place underwater. Action stages use a unique control system in which the height of a jump and the distance of an attack changes depending on how long players hold down the button. Players collect the Luck Symbols that appear when they defeat enemies and give them to Lottery Man to get recovery and power-up items. Stop Dr. Bomb and bring peace to the village of Nitta and the rest of the world.

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points): When King Thor was kidnapped, his son, Alex Kidd, held out hope that his father would return to their kingdom on Planet Aries. Finally, it was revealed that he was being held captive on Planet Paperock. As Alex, players race to his rescue through 11 levels, battling enemies and avoiding obstacles while winning coins that will buy special items and vehicles. At the end of each level, players encounter a boss and enter into a match of "Rock, Paper, Scissors." Throwing the right symbols puts players ever closer to bringing King Thor home; throwing the wrong symbols squashes them beneath a heavy weight.

I'll wait for 1up's Retro Roundup to hear how Bravoman is. The others I have on other compilations (and wouldn't pay that much for singly, either).

Has anyone seen Super Paper Mario in stores today?

For me, this is one of those cases where I'm not sure if today is the ship date, or the date it arrives in stores. The Target I called doesn't seem to know either.

Fun fact: I used to work at Target. Unless someone is really on their shit, and reads release dates in their spare time, no one at Target knows exactly when games come out.

Guest Queen Leelee

Local Gamestop says they'll have it later today. Which means they'll probably bring it out tomorrow. Meh, I'd rather wait a day or two and get it at a Target-like store. Never buy new stuff at EB/GS.

The Best Buy I work at has Super Paper Mario advertised for being in store by noon tomorrow. Circuit City has the same promise, as well as a free $20 gift card if the game hasn't arrived yet.

I got Super Paper Mario. It's quite terrific.

Just about the only thing that rather annoyed me about Paper Mario was that I wasn't too much of a fan of the turn-based battles. Done away with.

It's still an RPG. The action isn't as intense as a real Mario platformer, but there is your expected puzzle solving/item collecting, etc. If you're a fan of the series you know what to expect, basically.

Here's an allegedly real leaked Gamestop list of upcoming Wii games.

04092007002.jpg

Now it's obviously a partial list so I don't want any of you to be all WAA WAA THERE'S NO SMASH BROTHERS OR MARIO GALAXY ON THAT LIST THAT MEANS THEY WONT BE OUT THIS YEAR because then that would mean you believe that Nintendo isn't releasing any new games for the last half of the year and then you'd be STUPID.

And for good measure, a list of DS games.

04092007005.jpg

Oooh, Assassin's Creed for DS. Watch me talk like a gaming journalist. "Ubisoft's new IP will be released in multiple SKUs!" How'd ya like that?

So I got an emulator/ROM disc with supposedly every English NES/SNES/Genesis/SMS/TG16 game every released. It's handier than hooking my PC up to my TV to play the games on a big screen. It's pretty rad.

Guest Queen Leelee

EB/GS gives that list out to everyone here who buys new games... it's far from accurate.

So I got an emulator/ROM disc with supposedly every English NES/SNES/Genesis/SMS/TG16 game every released. It's handier than hooking my PC up to my TV to play the games on a big screen. It's pretty rad.

I have them all on my XBox HD. It's the best. :P

We're using a Gamestop list to speculate on when/if future games will come out?

Where's that Soul Calibur 3 for Xbox, while we're on that topic?

An Assassin's Creed on DS is an Assassin's Creed in name only. However, "Project Assassin" was originally mentioned for release on PSP and Wii as well on the leaked Ubi release list last E3.

But cool, it looks like TOUCH THE DEAD is coming out after all.

Speaking of Gamestop, anyone else hear that they were showing the ten minute ending of Zelda: TP in-store?

I guess they want people to see it and return in?

Anyways.

How 'bout that Super Paper Mario. Is it officially out? Should I go looking for it?

My replies in bold

Speaking of Gamestop, anyone else hear that they were showing the ten minute ending of Zelda: TP in-store?

Yes.

I guess they want people to see it and return in?

Yes. I've actually seen one or two copies! Although, like KH2, few people are taking them up on the offer so soon after release.

Anyways.

How 'bout that Super Paper Mario. Is it officially out? Should I go looking for it?

Yes, it is. Yes, you should.

Super Paper Mario seems better than its predecessors. Instead of trying to be a fourth rate RPG, it's ditched the turn based battles and greatly increased the platforming, so it's more of a true hybrid now. Good stuff. Now Bust-A-Move Bash needs to come out.

"Fourth rate RPG?" I wasn't the biggest fan of the battle system, but it worked. However, the timing-based attacks were still far more strategic than most turn-based battle systems.

It would be great to see Valkyrie Profile get the same treatment after the relative disappointment of VP2.

Perform a System Update guys, the final version of the Internet browser is up and it is free until June.

Includes:

- Parental Control support

- Optional Internet content filter provided by Astaro (available soon)

- Improved start-up speed

- Clearer text when zoomed-in

- Improved Wii Remote navigation

- Improved scrolling and zooming

- Built-in search via Yahoo! or Google

- Option to hide Toolbar

- New cursor animations and operation sounds

- Ability to view page security information

- Option to delete cookies

- Built-in support manual

Nothing amazing to scream about. It basically feels like it's not a beta anymore.

My favorite feature is that it has channel graphics now.

I was bored today and picked up Splatterhouse and Toe Jam & Earl on the Virtual Console.

Toe Jam & Earl is still good fun. A decent, leisurely-paced game to play if I'm feeling bored and lazy. Plus the music is great to boot. I can't wait to play this with friends.

Splatterhouse, on the other hand, is an example of a game that gets by on total gimmick. The cheesy B-movie slasher flick feel makes the whole game. Without it, nobody would have looked twice at the game. Still fun, though I wish it had multiplayer.

I kinda like the idea for the new Resident Evil game, similar to House of the Dead. I hope it's multi-player.

Also: still no Wii. I'm really getting sick of how it's been nearly half a year and this thing is STILL not readily availble!