TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

I scored one from Target as well. There were 51 systems to go around and the last spot didnt fill up until 15 mins before the doors opened.

It has been different trying to 'relearn' Madden but I think that once I'm used to it, I'll prefer it with wii controls.

My Target got in NINE systems, and my Sears got TWO.

What the hell is going on here?

I have a shiny Zelda sitting here I can't do anything with yet, too. :(

What I learned while waiting in line: Chad Michael Murray HATES his PS3. He said the damn thing has frozen up on him 6 times already.

Ha, he was in line next to you?

What I learned while waiting in line: Chad Michael Murray HATES his PS3. He said the damn thing has frozen up on him 6 times already.

Yep, just 2 nights after standing in line for the PS3 for 5 hours, and then coming back the NEXT night and standing in line for the PS3 again(and getting one)

Guess the dude's a gamer then, eh?

Yep, just 2 nights after standing in line for the PS3 for 5 hours, and then coming back the NEXT night and standing in line for the PS3 again(and getting one)

Guess the dude's a gamer then, eh?

I was thinking they should do an Entourage episode about that, but they sort of did with the shoes for Turtle.

Failed, but pretty close to success. My plan of using a Future Shop near a Best Buy, EB, TRU, and Zellers almost paid off, but I put too much stock into people going to those areas to get the Wii and didn't get to FS until 9:15 (store opens at 10). There was a line that I counted to be more than 40 before I waited in it, but there was that small chance they had more and/or the people in line were groups buying one and/or families. A lot of people at were talking about how Best Buy (which opened 2 hours earlier), Wal-Mart, and others were sold out. The teenagers that arrived after me were particularly angry that the Wal-Mart they went to apparently gave late night / early morning campers vouchers to come back in the morning. They arrived thinking there was not much of a line, only to find out they would be asked for a voucher that they did not have.

FS started letting 5 people in at a time to buy the system. There was a lot of talk about how cold out it was this morning as well. Me and the random guy behind me kept getting all excited when we counted 2 people leaving the store with one Wii, but alas, as we were 9 people (and at least 3 of those people were a family just buying 1) away from the door, an employee came out to announce the sell out.

Really, I only wanted to go to have the "waiting outside in a line complaining about how cold it is with fellow gamers excited about a system launch" experience. Most of the people around me (save for the old people who were probably trying to get a Christmas present) agreed it's all god because we know Nintendo will keep up with shipments that we can get online. It was fun discussing the Virtual Console and things of that nature. There was some light Dreamcast / Marvel vs Capcom 2 talk as well. There was also a guy that drove by around 9:30 with 4 Wiis looking to sell them (with Zelda) for $650. No takers.

Guest OSIcon

Decided to go out of my way a little bit to a Target that was getting 120 systems. I figured if I showed up two hours early at 6 AM, I'd be good. I ended up being somewhere around 125-130 out of 120. I figured I was good when I got there because even though there were about 120 people ahead of me, some appeared to be kids with parents. I also figured there were at least a few friends, couples, or whatever standing in lie together but just purchasing one. No such luck. Pretty much every single person in line purchased one.

There is a Toys 'R Us right across the street but I hadn't thought much of it, figuring most if not all were taken up by preorders. there was a line forming over there though so once they passed out the tickets at Target around 7:30 and I didn't get one, I ended over to Toys 'R Us. They had a hundred-some systems and after pre-orders, still had 55. I ended up 54 out of 55. After a slow process (they started ringing people up for systems and any games they wanted around 8:45 but didn't open the actual store until 10), I finally got a system, Zelda, extra Wiimote, and classic controller. The only games or accessories they sold out of after getting through everyone in line was the nunchuck attachment which sold out pretty early. They couldn't have more than 20.

I've spent a little time with Zelda. Not long enough to really form an opinion on it, but so far so good.

Went through all the Wii Sports games quickly. Tennis is a lot of fun and bowling is pretty great too. Baseball and Golf were alright. The boxing controls don't respond all that well and from what I've seen so far, you can't do a whole lot in terms of different punches. Not that I expected that in Wii Sports Boxing since it is basically a demot, but a boxing game where it picks up the exact type of punches you do will be really great.

As for the rest - The Wifi connection is really easy to set up, especially if you already have it set up for the DS. The Wifi setup is exactly the same as it is for the DS. In fact, setting up the whole system takes longer than for past Nintendo systems because you need to configure the wireless controller (takes two seconds) and then download some updates, but even that just takes five minutes. The News and Weather channels aren't available yet (though the icons are there). Same goes for the Opera browser which they say is "coming shortly". Virtual Console games are avaliable for download. They have the ten or so games that were initially announced all prices like advertised ($5 for NES, $8 for SNES and Genesis, and $10 for N64). The Mii channel and photo album "channels" are also avaliable.

so far Zeldas been a bitch with the damn cat, Ive spent 15 minutes chasing it around and the hawk and all.

I have a tendency to get stuck with the smallest or stupiest things in games, so I assumed figuring out what to do with the cat was just my problem. Good to see I am not the only one.

I went to Walmart last night around 10:30 and there were about 20 people there. A friend of mine came with me and we found another guy I know so we hung out til 7. My friend had his laptop so we watched a movie, slept a while, played some cards, and then finally got in the official line. There were 28 consoles to be given out, and at the beginning of the night some guy decided we should make a list of the first 28 people to be there, so we did. About 10-15 more people showed up after the first 28 and we told them all the Wiis were accounted for. I was number 22 on the list. A few stupid kids showed up around 6:50 and seemed surprised that they couldn't get a system. I picked up a second controller w/ nunchuck, Zelda, and Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz. I played Wii Sports first..tennis and bowling are my two favorites. Then I played Monkey Ball whick took some getting used to but it 's pretty fun. Finally I put in Zelda and played for like 10 minutes..it's looking great so far.

I have gotten myself a Wii.....I will post my story later on though. I'm really fucking tired and want to get a few hours of sleep before Genesis.

Guest Princess Leena

So, how do you guys like the controls?

I'm glad to see Wii Tennis must be good.

Wii Tennis is really fun, I mean it is simple and not a real tennis game but the basics are there. You can do an overhand smash, a lob, forehand and backhand, etc, all with hand motions. It also seems like you can put a lot of slice and spin on the ball, although I'm not sure how exactly.

Basically if you swing early vs. swing late you control the general direction, and you can swing up vs down for a lob vs a downward biting shot. You can also hit it softer and harder to some degree it seems.

It's not super deep, you only control the racket and not the guys. There is one court, no simulation mode, etc. Wii Sports is really meant just to introduce people to the controls.

But I can see how a full-featured Tennis game would absolutely rock. A tennis game that plays similarly but is a full game would have to be the best tennis game ever by a large margin.

Sega, make us a Virtua Tennis!

Guest Smues

More from Craigs list Anchorage.

NINTENDO WII - $55000

One can only assume/hope he means 550.00, but good luck finding a buyer at 55000.

Haven't played baseball

The golf game blows..but it might be cause I hate golf

Boxing is fun but kinda tiring if you go all out with it

Tennis is the same as boxing

Bowling, in my opinion is the best but it seems to be the hardest..

A full fledged boxing game would be awesome

Questions:

1) Did anyone else not have the plastic stand plate thats supposed to go on the bottom for use in vertical position? I looked everywhere and couldnt find it.

2) Vertical or Horizontal: Ive got mine vertical because it fits next to my tv that way easier.

3) Sensor bar: Above or Below tv? My TV is on a low stand so below made it rediculously hard to do anything, above is a bit better but above doesn't work as well If Im sitting down.

4) Do you use the remote strap thing? At first I did, but it gets to be a huge hassle after a while..I Was thinking about cutting it off.

5) does anyone else see a problem with the vent being on the bottom and blocked if its in vertical position?

I lined up at our Wal-Mart at 1:15 this morning and was 26th in line out of 54 Wiis. It was funny because there were morons lined up at Future Shop a couple blocks away for much longer and there were more of them then Future Shop had supplies. We lined up overnight and Wal-Mart people handed out numbered tickets at 7AM for the 9:00 opening, then sold systems and games to us in order of ticket. It was really well organized and went off perfectly.

I got the unit, extra controller (+ nunchuck), Zelda, and Monkey Ball for $523 Canadian. They ran out of copies of Zelda shortly after me. Some people checked down the line and every single person (bar none) was planning on getting Zelda with their system.

Guest OSIcon

I haven't bothered using the wrist strap, but it really hasn't gotten in my way, probably because I haven't even untied it yet. I can see the need for it because if you got really into playing Wii Tennis or something, the Wiimote probably could slip and go flying. I'm not too worried about that for me though. I have the sensor bar below my TV. I figured the most important thing was for it to be about arm level when I play. I have my TV on a stand so its elevated. Sitting in a chair, the sensor bar is almost perfectly arm level. I haven't had any problems with having to go out of my way to adjust my aim.

Anyone here live in NJ? The reason why i'm asking is because there is a blue law in Bergen County where no store is allowed to open on Sundays, so no Wiis were sold in the entire county.

I was thinking of going to a spot in Bergen County tomorrow to see if i can score a wii.

Here is my Wii Hunt story!!!

Around 10:00 pm last night, I was heading over to the Rocky Horror Picture Show when my friend gave me a call. She told me that she was 7th in line at a Best Buy that was supposely getting 70 Wii units but I couldn't have gone over there because I had to work Rocky. As I did Rocky throughout the night, I decided to go ahead and check the city that had all those stores in a 10 minute radius of each other.

My first stop was a Best Buy (not the one she was at), the line was huge, I pulled up to the front of the line and asked some people how many units the store was getting, I was told 150. I drove out of the parking lot and drove down the line (line was going down the sidewalk!) and I noticed how packed it was and realized I couldn't do a headcount, so I just moved on.

My 2nd stop was at a Curcuit City. When I got there, it had a MUCH smaller line, so I parked and got out of my car. I walked up to the line and asked how many the store was getting, I was told 26. I tried doing a headcount of the people in line but people kept telling me that people in line weren't getting one and so I kept loosing my count. After a bit of this, I made a guess and moved on to see what else there was.

My 3rd stop was at a Frys. I pulled around the building, expecting a huge line but when I came around the corner, THERE WAS NO LINE AT ALL! I couldn't believe it. There was two guys in two different cars talking to one another, I asked if they were waiting for the Wii and they told me they were and I said "Oh hell yes!" and quickly parked.

We all got out of our cars and and started talking in front of the store. I called a friend who said he would meet up with me and keep me company in line but he didn't answer his phone, he called me back about half an hour. When he called me back he started researching it to make sure Frys was going to get it. As he was reseraching he kept notcing people were saying Frys was selling the Wii as a bundle. I started asking the others in line but they weren't sure, they had heard about the bundle but thought it was optional. A few minutes later, the paper guy showed up to load the newspaper machine. After buying a newspaper (I was told there was an ad in the paper.) and checking the Fry's ad, we all read the bundle was required.....I quickly left and headed over to the Best buy where my friend was already at.

After picking up the guy who I called, me and him both got to Best Buy with really a small line. We decided not to cut anyone because we felt that would have been fucked up to the others already in line. So myself and him just went to the back in the line and sat down at 5:30 in the morning. So after 3 in a half hours of waiting in the coldness of the morning, and after another (awesome) friend brought me and him some sodas and Mcdonalds breakfest, the manager of the store came out and annouced that the store had 87 Wii's and they were going to pass out tickets.I was number 51 when he was number 52!!! After all 87 was handed out, there had to be at least 50 people turned away.

After going in and waiting in another long ass line that moved really slowly (checkout line), around 11:00 I had finally gotten my Wii. I was a happy Scrob. Unfortunaily for my friend who had came with me, it turned out he didn't have the funds he needed and while he had a backup plan so he could get the system, the other person he needed backed out and never showed up so he couldn't get himself the system. So I called up another friend of mine who wanted the system and the guy who came with me to the store and waited in line was nice enough to give my other friend his ticket for the Wii.

After I got we got our Wii's. I handed home, went down to Gamecrazy and got Zelda along with the wireless dongle and then I posted here and went to sleep. I'm now going to hook it up now, so if you would excuse me....I have system hooking I need to do.

I still cant believe how stupid the people were here who lined up at Best Buy last night waiting for Best Buy to open at 11 am when Target had almost no line at the same time and opened at 8 am. Target shutting off the lights in the parking lot might have helped that though because no one could see down there until it was light out and by then all 33 spots had been taken. I did figure out that when I went by last night and saw the tent, I didnt even think about where there were some cars in the lot, and from what I heard there were about 10 people in their cars at midnight last night.

and the lightup $20 W!! giftcard is nice..but not enough to keep me from regreting buying Call of Duty..ugh.

I should note, I got a Gamecube at launch at Circuit City and it wasnt anything like this..I didnt even get there til after the store opened and they still had a stack of the purple ones..all the jet black were gone but I didnt care.