TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

Yeah, you got a little mislead, Baron.

Wii's 280 MSRP for a machine, controller and Wii Sports. The bundle (I think it was Andrew) spoke of was a Wal*mart bundle with like eight games. Yeah, it's gonna be graphically like a first-gen system, but the interactivity of that trumps that, IMO.

No, that comment is from the PS3 thread, where he said that screenshot of the NBA game (with the guys' bodies merged together) looked like Xbox1 level graphics.

It is better than that, although not terribly much.

Yeah, you got a little mislead, Baron.

Wii's 280 MSRP for a machine, controller and Wii Sports. The bundle (I think it was Andrew) spoke of was a Wal*mart bundle with like eight games. Yeah, it's gonna be graphically like a first-gen system, but the interactivity of that trumps that, IMO.

No, that comment is from the PS3 thread, where he said that screenshot of the NBA game (with the guys' bodies merged together) looked like Xbox1 level graphics.

It is better than that, although not terribly much.

Even so, I still think that gameplay > graphics to a certain degree. Yeah, the PS3 and 360 have exceptional graphics(especially when using component), but are PS2 and Xbox graphics that bad, even by comparison? I really think the Wii will take the lion's share of the market this holiday.

Holy fuck, Xmas is like a month away.

Even so, I still think that gameplay > graphics to a certain degree. Yeah, the PS3 and 360 have exceptional graphics(especially when using component), but are PS2 and Xbox graphics that bad, even by comparison? I really think the Wii will take the lion's share of the market this holiday.

Well, "gameplay > graphics" is a bit too simplistic of an argument. The Wii doesn't seem to have the onboard power that is going to give you mega-huge worlds without them needing to be broken up into smaller sections. Also, it can't have advanced AI for great numbers of characters at the same time. The Wii, as far as we know, *can not possibly run* Assassin's Creed. Power is about more than just visuals.

And the Gamecube controller is pretty lousy for traditional fighters, and the d-pad should be larger, but otherwise it's a fine controller. Albeit it is kind of silly looking. Better than both original xbox controllers IMO, and the overall feel is better than the Dual Shocks. The GC controller just feels molded around your hands, while you have to contort your hands into uncomfortable positions to wield both of the Shock's analog sticks, which you end up doing in virtually every 3D game.

Well, "gameplay > graphics" is a bit too simplistic of an argument. The Wii doesn't seem to have the onboard power that is going to give you mega-huge worlds without them needing to be broken up into smaller sections.

I don't know about that Andrew, the GTA games and others have managed streaming worlds on PS2, the weakest of last-gen consoles, so I think it's more about how it's optimized than a hard and fast rule.

I'm talking more expansive than that, like Oblivion. Also, did you notice that GC never got a GTA? The GC has really anemic onboard RAM, which is usually considered at least a valid technical reason it never got one. Wii will improve on that by quite a bit, though.

That's not to say it was the only reason. The GC did get a similar style of game in the form of that Simpson's GTA ripoff, but I'm not sure how exactly it was handled.

Ultimately programming is going to have a lot of to do with it, true. By the same token, work on the PS3 and 360 are going to get better, too. The aim isn't to have the Wii library match up title for title with the other consoles, though. Rather, it is to have a strong lineup of exclusive titles that can't be done on other machines.

I'm talking more expansive than that, like Oblivion. Also, did you notice that GC never got a GTA? The GC has really anemic onboard RAM, which is usually considered at least a valid technical reason it never got one. Wii will improve on that by quite a bit, though.

That's not to say it was the only reason. The GC did get a similar style of game in the form of that Simpson's GTA ripoff, but I'm not sure how exactly it was handled.

Ultimately programming is going to have a lot of to do with it, true. By the same token, work on the PS3 and 360 are going to get better, too. The aim isn't to have the Wii library match up title for title with the other consoles, though. Rather, it is to have a strong lineup of exclusive titles that can't be done on other machines.

Hit and Run was pretty good, but I dont think it was as open as GTA games..

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

Some kids get the Wii early:

party.jpg

There's 7 boys and 1 girl. Whataslut. The boy at the very front also cuts his wrists.

Nor do I think the world in it was as complex and organic, either.

It wouldnt really need to be organic considering its based on the Simpsons for crying out loud.

I know that, no need to be a smartass about it. :P

On a related note, the Angry Nintendo Nerd rants on the Power Glove--which is kind of like an embarrassing older relative of the Wii Remote that Nintendo doesn't like to talk about:

http://www.screwattack.com/Flash%20HTML/AN...love/Power.html

(Bad language and stuff, NSFW)

Nice to see the Wii cheered up the emo kid, at least for a bit.

That doesn't really help much, as that was the worst controller known to man.

I'm still shocked that people will fork over 600 bucks, and you can get the same graphics for a regular X-Box for dirt cheap.

Yeah--you don't really know what you're talking about.

C'mon, you are actually going do defend how great the Cube controller really is? The C-Button stick is in the way, a tiny d-pad and an obscure Z button location? This is coming from the N64, which is probably the best controller ever made.

And, sorry. The NBA clip looks pretty crappy. It's about as shiney as Raw 2 on the X-Box, and ESPN 2K5 had better graphics than that.

My Nintendo Wii hunt began today. After I picked up my check from work, I went to different stores to see what they're doing and here's my results.

Toys R Us: At the moment has no idea how many extra Wii they're getting and they won't know until Saturday.

Big K mart: Don't even know if they're getting the system at all, and if they are, they believe it will only be 1 or 2 and will probably raffle them away with raffling tickets.

Target: First come, first served.

Frys: First come, first served

Circuit City: First come, first served (most likely best store for me to find it.)

Best Buy: First come, first served (most likely worst store for me to try and find one, drove by it tonight *2 in the morning* and their was already 1 freaking tent up.)

Gamestop/EB/Gamecrazy: From what I've been told, only getting Pre-orders.

My plan is this: After working The Rocky Horror Picture Show on Saturday night, I should pull into that city with all those stores around 4 in the moring. I'm going to drive to these first come, first serve stores because they're really all in a 10 minute radius of each other and hope to find one with either a REALLY short line or no line at all. Then(!) park in parking lot, call a few people to come hang out or sleep in car till about 5:30 and then wake up and maybe start forming line.

Even though my Wii hunt had just began today, I already hit a snag. I had pre-ordered Zelda at this Gamecrazy in the city that has all these stores, because I was told if I had pre-ordered a Wii game with them, they would call me to let me know that I could come down and pre-order a system. Well since I pre-ordered Zelda there, I never got a freaking call. So tonight, because I knew they had the Zelda games, I went to go pick up Zelda. After telling the clerk that I was there to pick it up, I was told it had been street dated for Sunday. Which I knew was bullshit because the Gamecrazy where I another Zelda pre-ordered (pre-ordered at the other store first before pre-ordering the zelda game so I could pre-order the Wii system.), had already told me I could have picked it up on Tuesday when they recieved it. I let him know this and he just walked away and told me they weren't selling it and thats to bad.

I then told him that I wanted to cancel my pre-order and then asked him why I never received a call about being able to pre-order the Wii system. He then proceeded to tell me that the store was given a lower number of total systems they were going to have and therefore decided not to call anyone AT ALL! and then told me they basically stopped taking pre-orders in January. I then cancelled my pre-order and got my 5 bucks back and walked out.

1. Zelda is not a street dated title. Retailers know weeks in advance if a title will be street dated or not, a retailer will never find out AFTER the game is shipped and recieved by retailers. In all my years at working at Gamecrazy we always got notices about games that were street dated weeks in advance and they always came in a box with a paper that said "DO NOT SELL UNTIL "such and such date"!!!!" Plus other retailers are already selling it as it is, and if the game was street dated, I would have never been offered to buy my 1st pre-ordered Zelda game. Its a scam from Gamecrazy so they can make better numbers on their sales by having mulitple things on one purchase.

2. Ok if the store stopped really taking pre-orders for the Wii in Jan., why the fuck was I told I would be able to pre-order the sytem last month from this store!!!? Its not like they got their "total systems at launch" numbers a few days later then the rest of the Gamecrazy's in that district. Two of the Gamecrazy's in that district had already gotten their totals the day I went to that store for the pre-order deal, for them to offer that to me, then changing it without even giving me a call to let me know is bullshit. Honestly, I'm more mad at the fact that I wasn't called and told about the change. I personnally think thats bad management and I can honestly say...they can go fuck themselves. At the store I worked at, if there was a change with a pre-order, we'd pull up a master pre-order sheet and call people to let them know their was a change. Again bad management are their part.

So there's the first part of the "Scroby Nintendo Wii Hunt" more to follow soon.

Somewhat funny bit. Damaramu, former tsm guy, who had been bitching about the controller at dvdvr non-stop since he was banned here, finally actually used it and now loves it.

I am impressed at the poor reviews for Red Steel and some of the other Wii/PS3 reviews. Didn't think they'd have it in them to give a score like that for such a hyped launch game. I figured if it was bad they'd just give it the token 8. Now I'm curious to see what IGN and the others say.

But out of all the Wii games it's still the one that interests me the most, just because it's a FPS with such a cool concept.

Somewhat funny bit. Damaramu, former tsm guy, who had been bitching about the controller at dvdvr non-stop since he was banned here, finally actually used it and now loves it.

Thats exactly like a friend of mine. For the last year and a bit he was going on about Nintendo and all their products (Wii, DS etc) are fucking stupid and how they are just gimmicky etc. Suddenly his girlfriend likes the DS and he's all open minded about it. He bitched and moaned about how the Wii-mote is "random" (wtf?) and how it probbaly won't catch on because the human mind can't hold two things in seperate hands and use them (we berrated him for months about this) then he goes and plays a Wii and thinks it's the best thing ever, even going so far as to put the whole money down for his deposit.

So I see that the cost for a "full" Wii controller will be $70 CDN ($25 for the nunchuk, $45 for the remote). Pretty steep price for a system that prides itself on being a group experience.

I played the Wii at EBGames today, they were running Excite Truck.

At first I was swerving wildly all over the place, I sort of stabilized later. It was fun, though it didn't necessarily feel revolutionary or anything, after a while, it kinda felt like a normal racing game controlled by analog sticks or one of those steering wheel things.

It actually feels really fresh if you're comparing it with the D-Pad, but I think the analog sticks giving you some directional movement, the feeling is a bit similar.

You do the steering with the motion sensing, while accellerating with the 1 button. Didn't try the DPad while in-game. In a nice touch, the trigger was perfectly accessible underneath while holding the Wiimote on its side.

the Wii-remote is actually really small, much smaller than any of my TV/DVD remotes.

http://www.futureshop.ca/marketing/_midnig...=&langid=EN

So, I called my local Future Shop and they told me they are expecting 40 Wii units. I like that number. Knowing a number is a great help as I have myself set to swing by Future Shop tomorrow and use my store card to pick one up. If I see more than 40 people outside (and I don't really anticipate that, but who knows) then I will quietly leave. If it's looking ok, I will stay and buy one. I have it in my mind that there is no way this can fail due to the store location and the fact I am only using it due to my store card; it's right next to a TRU and across the street from a mall with an EB Games and Zellers. It's also near a Best Buy (who, being the same company, are also expecting 40 units).

It doesn't look like I'll get a Wii tonight. Every Walmart in my area, and that's about four of five stores, already has lines so long that all of the systems are already taken.

the Wii-remote is actually really small, much smaller than any of my TV/DVD remotes.

I read one review which called it "as long as the NES controller and half as wide". Is that correct? Because that would be pretty damn small.

Guest Smues

I talked to people at my Walmart again and they said that they indeed are going to do it raffle style again. Meaning I'll go and get one ticket, while people who only want to re-sell it on Ebay will go with 20 friends and have much better odds. Damn not knowing people up here yet. On the upside I don't have to show up early to line up or anything.

My advice, just stay away from Wal-marts. Its one of the more popular big ass stores, so everyone is basically going to be hitting it, same goes with Best Buy as well. My advice hit smaller stuff like Targets or Circuit Cities.

Guest Smues
My advice, just stay away from Wal-marts. Its one of the more popular big ass stores, so everyone is basically going to be hitting it, same goes with Best Buy as well. My advice hit smaller stuff like Targets or Circuit Cities.

I have to get it at Walmart. Gift card.