TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kobe24KGold

Super Duper Major Announcement at No Surrender

Guest Kobe24KGold

The TNA President Dixie Carter has posted a message on the Official TNA website, teasing a 'major announcement' at this Sunday's TNA PPV, No Surrender.

"In the course of history, there are defining moments that change the fabric of a company forever. These are moments that are spoken about for years, not days, and serve as benchmarks in the annals of a company’s growth. And on occasion, those moments transcend the individual company and re-write the history of an industry. This Sunday at the NO SURRENDER PPV, an announcement will be made that will do just that. You will not want to miss the NO SURRENDER PPV."

-TNAWrestling.com

My guess? It's Goldberg. Or, they're expanding to two hours, going live, maybe going head to head with RAW...

They have signed EL DANDY!

Seriously, it could be one of a dozen things or it could be absolutely nothing. If it's two hours, great. If it's Goldberg, doesn't mean as much as it used to mean. If it's Angle, that's bad because he's nowhere near ready to return to wrestling in his condition. If it's going up against RAW, that's PPV announced suicide.

Whatever it is, it cannot live up to the hype she just put on it.

Guest Kobe24KGold
I'll say it:

Kurt Angle.

Have you read the new issue of WO which was kindly posted by Hunter's Torn Quad in the WWE folder?

Angle has a no compete clause that runs until February; and, he isn't even CONSIDERING TNA since he doesn't want to anger Vince.

Guest Kobe24KGold

Seriously, it could be one of a dozen things or it could be absolutely nothing. If it's two hours, great. If it's Goldberg, doesn't mean as much as it used to mean. If it's Angle, that's bad because he's nowhere near ready to return to wrestling in his condition. If it's going up against RAW, that's PPV announced suicide.

Paradoxically, I think that competition -- or the image/presentation of such -- can increase viewership, or at least arouse curiousity, as it did in the Monday Night Wars.

Paradoxically, I think that competition -- or the image/presentation of such -- can increase viewership, or at least arouse curiousity, as it did in the Monday Night Wars.

TNA is seriously just not ready. Vince will rape and pillage the roster of TNA if they even consider getting on the same night as him. Vince can say he wants competition, but he doesn't. He wants to be the one man show because he knows if he is the only wrestling anyone considers, he can shovel his sick fantasies and boring short stories at us. Competition might make him have to think and that's the last thing he wants.

TNA has got to get their ducks in a better row before they go head to head. They need to get better at locking down contracts, finding ways to make money, and then figuring out creatively angles that people will care about and realize when they aren't working they just aren't working. TNA is at least a year or more away from being ready in any of those areas.

Guest Kobe24KGold

TNA is seriously just not ready. Vince will rape and pillage the roster of TNA if they even consider getting on the same night as him. Vince can say he wants competition, but he doesn't. He wants to be the one man show because he knows if he is the only wrestling anyone considers, he can shovel his sick fantasies and boring short stories at us. Competition might make him have to think and that's the last thing he wants.

TNA has got to get their ducks in a better row before they go head to head. They need to get better at locking down contracts, finding ways to make money, and then figuring out creatively angles that people will care about and realize when they aren't working they just aren't working. TNA is at least a year or more away from being ready in any of those areas.

One would like to think that goes without saying :D

If/When TNA decides to exercise common sense and be a VIABLE alternative to WWE, especially as far as in-ring product goes, they should be OK.

In a year, if they get that in order, they have the roster to compete. That's not the problem, the roster is there to provide excitement. There is a fine line between taking a risk and committing suicide. And how they are organized internally right now, it would be suicide. They have been showing improvement in those areas but its slow.

Next year, I'd say they should take the risk and go for it. Get all the contracts sealed down, get the house shows running and take a shot. It's obvious they are preparing for it and I like the fact they appear to realize they aren't ready. Which is smart.

I get the feeling it's Bill Goldberg, but who knows? I think we've all learned not to get too excited about announcements like this, although to be fair, TNA usually delivers something big when they say something like this (Christian, Sting, etc).

So did TNA merge with ROH and absorbed all of the wrestling gods, Jim Cornette is the GM of both companys afterall! Then again it might be a total letdown something like Bobby Roode's new manager will be Percy Pringle or Austin Starr debuts his gay gimmick. Was'nt the last time they did the super duper major announcement that shock the foundation of the Orlando Studios was the arrival of the man they call STING! Anything less than a main eventer that can boost the ratings to 1.3 would be a disappointment.

Speculation of who it will be:

Chris Jericho

Goldberg

Rock

Angle

Hart

KENTA

Mistico

Guest Kobe24KGold
So did TNA merge with ROH and absorbed all of the wrestling gods, Jim Cornette is the GM of both companys afterall! Then again it might be a total letdown something like Bobby Roode's new manager will be Percy Pringle or Austin Starr debuts his gay gimmick. Was'nt the last time they did the super duper major announcement that shock the foundation of the Orlando Studios was the arrival of the man they call STING! Anything less than a main eventer that can boost the ratings to 1.3 would be a disappointment.

Speculation of who it will be:

Chris Jericho

Goldberg

Rock

Angle

Hart

KENTA

Mistico

Jericho: Has lost all wrestling weight. Needs to train and lift weights again before stepping into the ring. Plus, he now realizes that wrestling isn't the biggest priority of his life anymore.

Goldberg: Yeah, a possibility

Rock: Maybe he is changing his name from THE ROCK to DA ROCK. That would coincide with his "proclamation" that he will no longer be referred to as "The Rock". THE COCK would also work and be nice shot at Vince and Co.

Angle: Has expressed no desire to go to TNA; has no complete clause for next 5 months

Hart: Perhaps. Maybe he can manage Teddy Hart or use TNA as a platform to introduce his son, Dallas

Kenta: Not a household name (in the states). Only smartmarks would rejoice at his signing

Mistico: Ditto

Yeah, KENTA in TNA would "re-write the history of the industry." Gimme a f'n break. No one cares about those Japanese and Mexican guys.

Of all those guys you listened, Goldberg is the only remote possibility to come to TNA. Rock has better things to do, and Bret Hart has basically said he's completely done with wrestling.

Chris Jericho- Not interested in wrestling anymore. Enjoying his life outside of wrestling and isn't coming back

Goldberg- Soon rather than later I'd say, course his ego will be a nightmare

Rock- No, he's done with wrestling. He's making more than enough money doing movies.

Angle- No compete clause, not ready for wrestling action and a bunch of other problems there

Hart- Doesn't make much of an impact. Even as a manager of like Bobby Rhode or something

KENTA- No

Mistico- Same as Kenta

if they did get the Rock i think that would be the one and only name people would care to see.

Think about it he was massive during the attitude era which is the only time casuals really remember plus theres the film connection. Problem is we all know its not going to be him. TNA always come up with these announcments every now and again.

If it was Jericho marks might watch by all means but do you really think casuals would give a damn enough to drag the rating up to anything other than 0.9 or 1.0 at a push.

same goes for Lesnar, big name at the time but time in the shadows and lack of motivation together just wont cut it.

Angle would be massive with the net community but do you guys REALLY honestly believe that he can up ratings that much? good matches? by all means, but we know it takes more than that to draw people in for more than a week or two. I mean people watched Impact for a while for the action but it takes compelling viewing to keep them not WWE style angles. people will just watch RAW instead.

Bret wont come and if he did you know TNA would only stick him with Roode or against Jarrett in an angle anyway. KENTA and Mistico are awesome workers, some of the best to be true but they wont up things either.

And after all that theres the Jarrett factor. If this is a big name do you really think JJ will let them go up against anyone bar him? Look at the names so far and what do they have in common? shamrock, sting, luger, nash, hall, waltman, hogan, steiner, james gang, hardy, dudleys, rhyno, christian, ddp, raven, savage, piper, cornette, rhodes, sabu, d lo brown, russo, etc, etc. that is a roster full of names and what do they all have in common? over 4 years they have all been with or against Jarrett. Do you really think anyone else will be different? He wont let anyone out heel him and always gets the better of the face in the end.

So that leaves Goldberg who judging from recent happenings will probably end up in TNA. but his attitude is too much. will Goldberg really job to joe? Do you actually believe that he will fall to a guy who in his big shot mind doesnt have "the look" and star power. We know how the company works, look at how nash treated sabin. Jarrett would want him anyway. we know he always does the whole TNA is my world, your not coming in thing. you know he'd do it here.

TNA wont die as people say but it wont flurish either at least not without a complete overhall. 2 hours wont help neither will the names if used wrong. Sorry for writing an essay on the matter, i just wanted to give my thoughts on the situation.

I think a move to Monday nights and a 8-10 timeslot would be perfect for TNA. Monday nights are wrestling nights, and going head to head with WWE might allow them to steal someof their viewers during lulls in wwe action or commercials. I don't know if TNA would have enough talent for a tw0-hour show though, many 90 minutes would be a better option, either 8:oo-9:3o or 9:oo-10:3o.

Another possibility could have them start touring, with house shows and different venues for their tapings. Going live weekly or bi-weekly would be another positive step for the promotion.

I just wanted to say:

This "announcement" is not going to generate any significant buyrates for a PPV. Stupid. Should be advertising this for a big blowaway "Clash"-type episode of Impact! to show Spike they can get our of their shitty ratings slump also hype some new fans for the big Detroit PPV. Signing any of these "huge names" would be horrible, as they'd be losing even more money, and they already have great difficulty booking their current "big names" like Sting, Joe, and Christian in matches & angles that the fans WANT TO SEE.

I don't get it. I want to like TNA so much as an alternative but it's eons worse than WCW was in 2001, and reeks of the dying days of the company.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

I think it's obviously 1 of two things, (if it actually is a "big" announcement):

1. TNA Impact is going to a 90 minute/2-hour show in October in time for Bound For Glory II, and/or Impact is going head-to-head with WWE Raw on Monday nights.

2. TNA have signed Bill Goldberg.

I'll say it:

Kurt Angle.

Have you read the new issue of WO which was kindly posted by Hunter's Torn Quad in the WWE folder?

Angle has a no compete clause that runs until February; and, he isn't even CONSIDERING TNA since he doesn't want to anger Vince.

Didn't hear about that. And, I honestly don't think Angle will go near TNA. I just brought it up cause I knew his name would be mentioned eventually.

I don't think it's a signing. Really, how can a signing effectively "rewrite the history of the industry" unless they're signing the competitions World Champion, or something? If anything it's going to have to do with the time/placement of the show.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
One of the latest Observers says nothing is going on regarding Goldberg, and that it may even be dead.

Hopefully then it's something about 90 minute/2-hour Impacts.

The reality of the situation is, merely announcing the signing of a wrestler is not going to change any wrestling landscape or situation, because right now in the wrestling industry there is no single worker that is just sooo huge that they can carry a wrestling company.

This HAS to be an announcement about a new head to head timeslot, or at the least an expansion to two hours.

If this is merely to announce the signing of a wrestler, then it will be a huge dissapointment.

I honestly think the only thing that could truly change the wrestling landscape is to make Impact 2 hours and run it directly against RAW. What does SPIKE TV have in that timeslot right now anyway? CSI re-runs? The short term loss in the ratings (CSI draws Spike's biggest ratings outside of TUF) could prove to have a massive upside of the monday night wars are re-ignited and fans truly give TNA a chance.

TNA going head-to-head to Raw might be throwing them in with the sharks, but it might be the kick in the ass they need. TNA has all the tools to make for a fantastic product that could hook the fans in, but they've got no incentive to do what it takes as long as they coast along on Thursday nights doing the numbers they have been doing.