TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

I gather people have been talking about this for months, but since I never intended on getting a PS3 anytime soon I ignored it, I researched the bundles on wikipedia. It seems to me that it seems to be the premium PS3, in a reverse situation of the Xbox 360, is the "tard package".

Why should I pay $100 more for an internet connection I don't have tools (or currently knowledge to operate), 40GB more HD space when 20 should be sufficient for my non-pirate ways, and a "silver trim"? I also don't know what flash memory is all about either ((I guess the fun ways of buying big plastic cards to put in game cases is being replaced by using inconvenient slivers that can be lost easily), but if I'm saving games to a HD that doesn't really matter to me either.

Either way, still too expensive and questionable at launch for my blood.

Wow. Not that I think the PS3 is worth the money but you don't know how to operate an internet connection? It doesn't take much to setup WiFi, and you don't know what Flash Memory is?

I gather people have been talking about this for months, but since I never intended on getting a PS3 anytime soon I ignored it, I researched the bundles on wikipedia. It seems to me that it seems to be the premium PS3, in a reverse situation of the Xbox 360, is the "tard package".

Why should I pay $100 more for an internet connection I don't have tools (or currently knowledge to operate), 40GB more HD space when 20 should be sufficient for my non-pirate ways, and a "silver trim"? I also don't know what flash memory is all about either ((I guess the fun ways of buying big plastic cards to put in game cases is being replaced by using inconvenient slivers that can be lost easily), but if I'm saving games to a HD that doesn't really matter to me either.

Either way, still too expensive and questionable at launch for my blood.

Wow. Not that I think the PS3 is worth the money but you don't know how to operate an internet connection? It doesn't take much to setup WiFi, and you don't know what Flash Memory is?

Yeah, believe it or not I have no idea how to use a piece of equipment or connection type that I've never owned, operated, tested, or used in any way ever (excluding digital camera memory cards). I'm sure I could easily figure it all out, though. I'm not sure why I even mentioned it here - overselling how stupid I am with computers is more of my IRC gimmick. I guess I momentarily got confused since I was just quoting what I was discussing with MisawaGQ via IRC.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
WTF "only on the PSP"...

Um, what??

These games will initially be playable only on the PSP. Sony plans on adding 10 titles per month to the service. Pricing was not announced today.

They should fix that by the end of the year, and you'll be able to have them on the actual PS3, too.

PS3 games cases are gonna be like Blu-Ray cases...

first-ps3-game-case-shots-20061103110111559.jpg

first-ps3-game-case-shots-20061103110107684.jpg

My local GameStop have been using empty PS2 cases for display PS3 games. Boy are they gonna have egg on their faces.

I think I've finally decided I do want one at launch. There's not even any game I want. Just can't help but be hyped. Deep down I always knew that would happen. But now it's too late! I can't stand these launches. The 360 debacle was frustrating and now this will be worse. Why can't these companies get it together? I cannot believe I'm hyped up enough to actually WANT to spend $600 but can't because of incompetence.

Apparently Best Buy's website was taking preorders. For about 10 minutes. Someone called and they said that it was legit and that all the orders (somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500) would be filled at launch. I was actually thinking about trying to preoder one from one of the online places, but I highly doubt it'll happen unless Amazon comes through.

I had one nailed down at $900 through eBay (I think the guy messed up on the description for the listing, so not too many people caught it), but a guy (with a feedback score of 0) came in at the end and bumped it up to $1325. He was the guy I was competing with on the auction, and the last 8 bids were between the two of us.

The seller rejected his bid afterwards, stating the rules about the feedback, and offered me the system for $1200 flat (my highest bid was $1200). I'm torn between getting it for the craziness that should bump up the bids post-Thanksgiving, or waiting on another one to come along. What would y'all do?

Guest Smues
Genji: Days of the Blade - IGN Review

Final Score =

6.0/10

I was sad to see the review barely mention the Giant Enemy Crab and incorrectly call it "real time weapon switching."

A more condensed review should read like this:

"Genji 2 is an ack-shun game based on Japanese history. Features: Real-time weapon change. Monsters: Giant Enemy Crab.

Final Score =

6.0/10

"

My local GameStop got some of their PS3 games today (the new Tony Hawks game, for one), and are already selling them for anyone who needs their games nine days before they get their system to actually play those games.

People already lined-up for the PS3, at Best Buy in Burbank, CA:

ps3lol.jpg

Those guys get all the ladies.

291961696_20081cbb73.jpg

:lol:

Why is Dustin Diamond there? I thought he was having house problems. That Penguin is freaking awesome though. Those are going to be some stinky people by the 17th.

Tony Hawk Project 8 - 7.3 out of 10.0

Pros: Redesigned career mode gives you multiple levels of challenge; nail the trick mode is a cool-looking addition that has a positive impact on the gameplay.

Cons: Frame rate is frequently unstable; no online support; skater creation options aren't as in-depth as they have been in previous installments.

Comparison to X360 Version (7.9 out of 10.0) :

Unfortunately, some technical glitches and unstable frame rates plague both the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 version of the game.

Those frame-rate problems hit the PlayStation 3 version of the game significantly harder than the Xbox 360. Other than the choppy frame rate and slightly sharper graphics on the PlayStation 3, some of which is only noticeable when using an HDMI cable on a high-end HDTV, the games look roughly the same. But there are other, more significant differences between the two versions. The Xbox 360 version has online support for up to eight players, including a new game mode called walls, which gives your skater a tall trail behind him that behaves sort of like the light cycles in Tron--if you hit another player's wall, you're out. The Xbox 360 version also uses its online support to present a lot of different online leaderboards. Much like Amped 3, many of the different goals in the game have their own individual leaderboard, which adds some competition to the single-player game and gives you a reason to keep on playing the same goals again and again. Without this, the PS3 version feels sort of flat by comparison.

The PlayStation 3 version of the game distinguishes itself by offering complete support for the Sixaxis controller's motion-sensing abilities. You can set it to just control functions like balancing, if you like, or you can move and execute tricks with it, as well. It works, but it lacks the precision offered by the D pad, so it's a neat experiment that's pretty good at showing off what the Sixaxis is capable of, but you probably wouldn't want to play through the game this way. The PlayStation 3 version also installs a 264MB cache file onto the system's hard drive when you first put the game in your system. Presumably, this is done to help speed up loading, but the load times don't seem much better than the Xbox 360 version of the game. If you're in a position where you have to choose between the two versions of the game, the Xbox 360 version offers a more complete package. The Tony Hawk series was a pioneer when it came to being online on the PlayStation 2, and its omission on the PS3 is completely crazy and thoroughly disappointing.

I camped out for the PS2, just overnight. At the time it was worth it because I had a lot more down time to play video games. Now it just isn't worth it to go through the trouble of getting it at launch.

Also, I just don't have time for games you have to sit down for long periods of time and play. I still play Madden,Ratchet & Clank. Jak, Arcade Classics, and other games where you can sit down for an hour, play them with your friends, drunk or sober and turn the console off without penalty.

I still want one, but it will probably be well into 2007 before it happens.

Sony's subsidiary So-Net Entertainment announced that the company will begin to offer HD movie downloads for PS3 in Japan starting on November 11th, 2006. Users can access the So-Net's PTV portal via the Cross Media Bar (XMB). HD movie downloads require PS3 firmware 1.10, which can be downloaded free of charge.

I saw a live Ps3 demo in Akihabara two nights ago - and I have to say I'm starting to rethink my stance on not getting one. Talk about fucking amazing. It has to be seen in person to be believed.

Are you kidding me? I just got back from Best Buy and it looks just as good as a 360. Plus, this was the second system they used because the first one died on them. Then when I started to use it, I wanted to get out of the game I was in and couldn't do it. They had to reset the system. Then when you were in that menu mode, you couldn't get out of it. The guy said he was having problems with it all day.

Fuck that. Call me when it is $200.

Are you kidding me? I just got back from Best Buy and it looks just as good as a 360. Plus, this was the second system they used because the first one died on them. Then when I started to use it, I wanted to get out of the game I was in and couldn't do it. They had to reset the system. Then when you were in that menu mode, you couldn't get out of it. The guy said he was having problems with it all day.

Fuck that. Call me when it is $200.

Really for 200? I would have said 150 or less....but then again, thats just me.

Think this will be what your local Best Buy will look like Thursday night?

Nothing on the PS3 really interests me.

Edited by KingPK