TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

That is weird, it's like something out of Silent Hill.

Ominous, cryptic advertising always gets me hyped up. I feel like I'm going to be missing something big if I don't get one at launch.

Guest Princess Leena
What the fuck were they trying to accomplish there? Someone in marketing ought to be fired for that one.

The sillier and more nonsensical something is, the more people will talk about it.

What's wrong with the Dual Shock's D-pad?

It's by far the best controller I can use on my PC.

The d-pad buttons not being connected makes it difficult to play fighters, especially ones that are in the QCF style.

I think it's the exact opposite. A worn in dual shock is my favorite dpad for fighters. Much more precise then the style of the 360 controller and those kind.

It's still a clutterfest in there though, and very uncomfortable. Hitting either the X or Square button there's a good chance your gonna hit the right analog stick.

Hitting either the X or Square button there's a good chance your gonna hit the right analog stick.

Maybe if you're Andre the giant.

Seriously I've never heard of this problem.

Go ahead, Anya, we do need someone to take the plunge and invest so we can hear the firsthand account.

Me? I've got FFXII, Guitar Hero 1+2, Disgaea, and even Oblivion to play yet.

Am I supposed to pay $700 to play Ridge Racer 7!?

Kotaku is reporting that Sony has dropped its PS3 Japanese launch estimates from 100,000 units to 80,000 units.

No cuts announced for the US, but with less than 3 weeks to go--don't be surprised if a similar announcement crops up.

Not only that, but....

October 27, 2006 - Years from now, as we reflect on the 2006 launch of the PlayStation 3, someone will inevitably mention the limited supplies of the new console at launch. This is likely what will be said: "So limited were supplies of the PlayStation 3 console, that Sony Japan's own e-commerce site, PlayStation.com, decided to hold back on selling the system."

Far across the Pacific, the floor has fallen out on the desperate pre-order seekers' last hope. Sony Japan issued a statement today announcing that it won't be selling launch PS3 units through its PlayStation.com site. The company cited shortages of both the system and its accessories as reason for the move.

Previously, the site had stated that, due to limited stock, it would begin pre-orders in a quiet fashion. Apparently those plans never came to fruition.

This move is significant in part because of PlayStation.com's history. The site began e-commerce just prior to the release of the PlayStation 2, and experienced major server problems at the time due to the demand for pre-launch pre-orders. The site also held PSP pre-orders, but avoided server problems by implementing a system where people had to pre-order their pre-order.

With PlayStation.com out of the way, it's beginning to look like the only way to get a PS3 in Japan at launch will be to line up at a major retail the night before.

Is that the new comparsion card Sony is using? Since the last one, you know got them almost sued.

^ :lol:

Anyways, if you care about stuff like next-gen-movies (hd-dvd/blu-ray), Ps3 isn't a bad value.

However if you don't care about that stuff and just want to play games, then its horrid. You're paying 600 bucks for a game system. ugh.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
Sony plans to make available the following new, downloadable PS3 games in 2006: Blast Factor, flOw, Lemmings, Kazuo, Puzzle and Mainichi Issho. A few of these were revealed by Sony at last week's press event, but we managed to get some details on the new Japanese content.

Kazuo is a number puzzle game that has also been released for the PSP. The PS3 version includes the 1000 problems of the PSP version but adds flashy PS3 visuals. The game will be distributed in separate packs based on the mode of play: easy, normal, hard, extreme and multiplayer. Sony is also planning a number of future downloadable elements for the game.

Puzzle (this is just a tentative name) is a Sony Computer Entertainment Europe developed puzzle game with three puzzles based around exploding blocks. Modes of play include timed puzzle mode and time attack.

Mainichi Issho, whose name translates to "Every Day Together," ought to remind you of Sony's Doko Demo Issho, a communication game featuring the company's Toro mascot cat character. Sure enough, Toro and friends are the main characters in this communication title, which delivers online content to you every day. The game will initially ship with the "Toro Station" mode, where Toro and friends share new information with you on a daily basis (we're not sure what this "information" is just yet). Sony will provide updates in the future adding stations for item and simple game distribution.

All the above content comes from Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, and all will have free demos available for download. Mainichi Issho is the exception, as the full title will be available for free download. Sony hasn't announced pricing for the full versions of the other games. Blast Factor and Mainichi Issho will be available on November 11th, with the other titles to folllow by the end of 2006.

Sony will also be making PS3 demos available via the PlayStation store. So far, it has announced just one, a demo of Ridge Racer 7. This trial version of the Bandai Namco Games launch title will be available on November 11th.

Downloadable original generation PS1 games will be available starting late November. Included are some mega hits that should be familiar to any PS1 gamer:

Resident Evil Director's Cut (Capcom).

Konami Antiques MSX Collection Vol.1 (Konami).

Konami Antiques MSX Collection Vol.2 (Konami).

Bishi Bashi Special (Konami).

Arc the Lad (SCEJ).

Jumping Flash (SCEJ).

Minna no Golf 2 (aka Hot Shots Golf 2, SCEJ).

Silent Bomber (Bandai Namco).

Tekken 2 (Bandai Namco).

Mister Driller (Bandai Namco).

These games will initially be playable only on the PSP. Sony plans on adding 10 titles per month to the service. Pricing was not announced today.

The PlayStation Store will also, as previously announced, stock downloadable items. Sony plans on making PS3 and PSP items available for download following the release of games. Specifics were not announced.

Sony also refrained from sharing too much on its video and music download plans. The company will start video downloads off with game and movie promotional videos.

Finally, Sony gave out a couple of new details on the community features that the PS3 will offer out of the box. Once you've logged into the PlayStation Network section of the Cross Media Bar, you'll be able to send text messages with attachments to the people in your friend list. You'll also be able to engage in voice and audio chat by accessing the Cross Media Bar's AV Chat option.

comparingid9.jpg

Yea, but for Xbox, one, all that stuff is optional. I might not want a year a live. (My Xbox did just fine without it) I sure as hell don't need another DVD player when I've already got like 5 in my house. etc. It's all optional. (Except maybe the charger which is a controller charger isn't it?)

And even if I did want it all, it gives you the option of 'Installments'. Not everyone has 600$ right of the bat. Even though..it's not like 400 is that much less. But you can pay for all the other stuff over time. whereas the PS3 is just like here..give us 600$ and you get all this stuff..but..

Don't forget Sony has been known for shitty hardware at times. Yea, you're getting all of this stuff..but more then likely, if one part fucks up, everythings useless from then on. And you better hope they just send you another one.

I gather people have been talking about this for months, but since I never intended on getting a PS3 anytime soon I ignored it, I researched the bundles on wikipedia. It seems to me that it seems to be the premium PS3, in a reverse situation of the Xbox 360, is the "tard package".

Why should I pay $100 more for an internet connection I don't have tools (or currently knowledge to operate), 40GB more HD space when 20 should be sufficient for my non-pirate ways, and a "silver trim"? I also don't know what flash memory is all about either ((I guess the fun ways of buying big plastic cards to put in game cases is being replaced by using inconvenient slivers that can be lost easily), but if I'm saving games to a HD that doesn't really matter to me either.

Either way, still too expensive and questionable at launch for my blood.

^ :lol:

Anyways, if you care about stuff like next-gen-movies (hd-dvd/blu-ray), Ps3 isn't a bad value.

However if you don't care about that stuff and just want to play games, then its horrid. You're paying 600 bucks for a game system. ugh.

We got a very similar pamphlet and FAQ list as to what was just posted. The quote above is damn near verbatim what I'd been telling customers who were astonished at the price. I think the Wii is really going to dominate with that in mind.

That said, even with Sony's previously shitty hardware, what's included really is a bargain. One thing about that doesn't sit well with me, however, and I'm sure it's been discussed many times by now:

If a Blu-Ray currently runs at about 1000 bones, how poor would the one that's included in the $500 PS3? Also, I didn't see this discussed. They've really been hyping up Wi-Fi...I assume it still has ethernet ports?