TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

Doesn't really apply.

Sony is clearly persuing it on a civil basis, not criminal basis. There are legit methods of ticket scalping i.e. not on the premises type of situation.

Anyone else getting a 3DO vibe from this launch?

Overpriced game system, close to $700 - Check

Questionable gaming support - Check

Reasonably-priced rival systems - Check

The way things are looking, I'm probably going to buy a Wii and a 360 in the next few months, but not a PS3 unless they can REALLY find a way to sell me on it.

And as much as I'm a sucker for old games, I've still got enough of my PS1 collection that it wouldn't be a big deal for me to "buy" some of those games again.

(The only things I'd probably buy from that particular Virtual Console would be games I can't readily get elsewhere, like Tomba 2, or some of the later RPG release I didn't buy like Arc The Lad)

Doesn't really apply.

Sony is clearly persuing it on a civil basis, not criminal basis. There are legit methods of ticket scalping i.e. not on the premises type of situation.

From eBay:

"Some states have laws against reselling tickets for events inside the state for more than face value. However, you can legally buy and sell tickets without restrictions in most states. eBay permits nationwide ticket sales and manages sales in a way that accommodates all state ticket resale laws and encourages lawful transactions."

So a criminal law is out of the question. But, if they just use it as a binding agreement, they could force all consumers into protecting the value. Sony would argue that they're not preventing anyone from resale at face value, and their legal stance would be strengthened if this agreement was endorsed by eBay themselves. But how do you prevent bidding that happens to drive it over face value? The market value on eBay is determined by the demand by shoppers, because there's always enough idiots that'll pay $1000+ just to have it at launch.

But this sounds like more "OMG Sony is evil" blather than anything else.

Sony would have absolutely zero reason to do this; as previously stated, they get their money either way. I call shennanigans.

Anyone else getting a 3DO vibe from this launch?

No but I get a Virtual Boy vibe from Wii. :rolleyes:

There's way too much hyperbole coming from this recent anti-sony sentiment.

BTW the current Xbox 360 userbase is about 5 million worldwide.

And that will probably spike during the holidays.

I'm not sure if they'll have the 10 million hoped for back back in the spring, but who knows?

Better than the paltry sum of PS3's that will be out then...

That's alot of PS2's. Although 30% of them are to the same people twice :)

Defective 1st gen units and all.

and OMG A PS3 OVERHEATED LOLZZZZ!!!!

What's the percentage of the "only" 5 million or so 360's that are defective?

Sony shipped 20 million systems between launch in 2000 and X-Box/Gamecube launch in 2001. I don't think they're going to have too much trouble catching up with X-Box 360's 5 million system headstart.

Seriously, the fact everyone realizes that PS3s will be worth huge premium dollars on eBay is a pretty good indicator that the price isn't going to hurt Sony at launch. If 400,000 NA systems at launch and 1-1.2 million NA systems by the end of the year is considered a catastrophic shortage, then obviously people want the system at $600. If Sony produces those numbers, it'll be more than the X-Box 360 sold from launch-Christmas in 2005. The only thing that's hurting Sony at launch is that they can't produce as many systems as they would be able to sell.

So yeah, can't say I'm getting a 3DO vibe. There wasn't any demand for 3DO, whereas there'll be demand for PS3 regardless of how high the price or how weak the library.

From AVS.

Preorders for the PS3 and Wii open up on Tuesday, October 10th. You will need to put $50 down. There is no trade in offers or anything.

Also it is each store managers decision if they want to open preorders, or sell the systems on a first come, first serve basis.

Not all stores will be doing preorders, since it is the managers choice.

My brother who is a EB DM has decided to do Pre-Orders. You Might want to check your EBGames on Monday or Tuesday since this is when Managers will be back from the conference.

Hope this helps anyone who has been wondering.

I'll be going to two EBs on the 10th so I can make my two pre-orders.

Guest nikowwf

PS3 price drop is in Japan only. And comparing Wii to virtual boy goes against all the industry feeling about how the system will sell in Japan and the US. Shit, peeps still hate on the DS, before all is said and done its going to be one of nintendos best selling systems EVER. No joke...

More "news" on the PS3 pre-order.

Talked to a manager at a local gamestop, they just had a meeting with corporate concerning PS3's release. Each Gamestop, EBGames, Software etc are going to be getting 1, at most 2 PS3s when it is released in November. They expect to get more in the weeks following, but don't expect to get any numbers until the beginning of next year. This is devestating for them as it is going to mean their sell through rate on software will be quite less than what their forcasts had been concerning this Holiday season. He said they're going to decide on how they're going to sell their 1 PS3 later in the day and I never managed to find out how they're going to do it. But, they did say they're going to make sure its not a race to see who can get to the store first. Fist fights tend to break out. Probably go with a lottery system for people who put money down to "reserve" a system. It looks like the majority of systems will be going to the wal-marts and best buys.

Barbed wire steel cage matches, LIVE in all Gamestop stores across the nation!! Winner gets the coveted PS3.

Now watch Sony have more "problems" and force EB employees to just sell PS3 parts and tell the customers to put their own damn system together.

Guess that whole thing about guaranteeing that you won't sell the system on E-Bay will be a lot easier to enforce.

Look, this whole Walmart / Bestbuy thing isn't surprising to ME, I mean, how much business do you think Sony does at Bestbuy every day? Compared to Gamestop? Bestbuy sells sony VCRs, DVD players, TV's, DVDs, etc etc etc and further etc. I'm sure they're hoping that when people go to Bestbuy to buy this thing, they'll also pick up some new speakers.

I laught out loud at the Gamestop stores. They might as well carry three copies of each PS3 game, if that many. One system per store!? Why even carry it!?

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
PS3 controller and accesories priced...in Japan.

Sixaxis PS3 Controller = 5,000 Yen including tax (US - $39.99) est:

ps3remmy2.jpg

PS1/PS2 Memory Card Adaptor = 1,500 Yen including tax (US - $12.99) est:

h10361173adopterjpgio3.jpg

PS3 Remote Control = 3,600 Yen including tax (US - $29.99) est:

ps3remmy.jpg

Sony shipped 20 million systems between launch in 2000 and X-Box/Gamecube launch in 2001. I don't think they're going to have too much trouble catching up with X-Box 360's 5 million system headstart.

They STILL haven't figured out how they're going to handle the Blu-Ray crisis.

In case you've fallen behind, manufacturers have been reporting for months that the laser diode for Blu-Ray drives is on low supply. People assumed it was because Sony was hogging them all, but it's because they're difficult to produce reliably in any great number.

Combined with Sold-Out signs all over the nation, PS3 is really only launching this year in name only, and will have to try again sometime later.

Just after reading a few posts, I have conconurs Sony has shot themselves in the other foot.

1 system a store???? Wow, is the only thing I can come up with.

You need a special adaptor to use a PS1 or PS2 memory card? Thats screwed up. It's cheap but its screwed up.

Why must I share my birthday with the launch of the PS3? Here's hoping my birthday wish comes true and Sony BOMBS!

You forget--the competition doesn't matter.

And fortunately, the Europeans don't mind the delay. Really, just ask Sony!

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/sony/sony-vp-...elay-205698.php

European consumers have shown that historically they don't mind (the delays), because they end up buying as many PlayStations, if not more, than the US and Japan. In Europe, it doesn't seem that the release of our platforms after the US and Japan—in the long run—affects how consumers feel.

If we were sitting here in five years' time, I don't think we'd really think about or notice that PlayStation 3 was four or five months later in Europe. I think in the long run, PlayStation 3 will succeed because of the great product it is and the great software we make for it.

This isn't something said when the delay was just announced either, but something new.

Neat little comment from the Kotaku thread...

Sony hasn't made a single sensible press statement this year. Starting with how the PS3 will replace PCs, then continually trying to justify the Blu-ray format, then all the deception regarding the absence of the rumble feature from the SIXAXIS, following which, they announced the delayed Europe launch and the shortage of units, then practically turning the console wars into a high school squabble and badmouthing Microsoft, after which they finally admit to having manufacturing issues but they still "don't care" about the competition...and now this.

Really...Harrison, Hirai, Kutaragi, and now this guy need to be locked away in solitary confinement before their words of wisdom damage Sony's already tarnished reputation any further.

He forgot the "first 3 million will sell even if there's no softwre for it," statement, the "next gen doesn't start until we say so" statement, etc, etc.

Guest Princess Leena

An adaptor for PS1 and PS2 cards...

Ah, where will Sony go next to further screw their customers with their accessories.

An adaptor for PS1 and PS2 cards...

Ah, where will Sony go next to further screw their customers with their accessories.

Use a proprietary disc format that difficult to get reading lasers for, thereby creating an artificial shortage of systems at launch and a greater demand for future shipments?

Oh wait, they've already done that my bad.