TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

Who bought PS3 with no games?

Tuesday 14-Nov-2006 11:27 AM The software tie-in ratio for the Japanese PS3 launch was less than one game sold. Looks like a lot of people bought PS3 purely to sell it on...

According to Japanese gaming bible Famitsu, the top three selling games at the PlayStation 3 launch in Japan over the weekend were Ridge Racer 7 (30,300 units), Mobile Suit Gundam: Crossfire (30,000 units) and Resistance: Fall of Man (20,889). Our calculator skills tell us that the grand total of software sales was 84,189 units.

Over on the hardware side of things, PS3 sales over the weekend were 54,600 for the meaty 60Gb version and 33,800 units of the lite 20Gb model. Thanks to the calculator we can say with complete confidence that a total of 88,400 units of PS3 hardware were sold.

So that means there were more PS3s sold than games. Either Japanese gamers went mad for Blue-ray or a lot of people went and bought one for the sole purpose of selling it on and making a tidy profit. And that's cheating if you ask us...

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/artic...25&skip=yes

I only posted this because the first comment is funny, "I think you'll find that the biggest PS3 market will be in a little country called "ebay". :D"

Guest Princess Leena

I'll laugh when most of these people make virtually nothing re-selling the PS3...

I played some of Motorstorm today on the PS3 at Best Buy.

It's...a pretty game...on an HDTV. But, that's really all I have to say about it. The controller feels exactly the same except for the angled L2/R2 triggers, and I don't like them that way.

There were about 10 tents pitched out in front of the store with people there. Curiously, none were at Wal-Mart and only 1 was at Circuit City.

However, I find it funny that there are PS3s *everywhere* in retail stores for display. Most of them are playable ones that are hooked up, too.

The weather out today is horrible, absolutely horrible, I just hope no tornados come through and suck up some sony market share.

I wish everyone waiting out in this couldg get one, but that's not happening...

On Rome today he said some guy in North Carolina is paying homeless men $100 to stand in line outside a Best Buy to get all of the PS3's at that store.

What an upstanding gentleman, employment rates are rising.

Fuck gamers, I gotta go into work 2 hours early tomorrow (2am) so we get the floor work finished so we can be outta the way for these idiots who lined up forever in advance

Shouldn't be working retail then.

I fucked with a whole group in front of Best Buy this afternoon who told me they had been there since Tuesday. I walked up to them with an entire Mcdonalds Big Mac meal and proceeded to eat the entire thing while talking to them.

Personally, I was shafted to the second shipment at Gamestop for the 60 gig system, but I have a 20 gig coming tomorrow for definite.

Yes spman, because I'm sure none of the people on the line have eaten since Tuesday.

I'm with Youth. Fuck the PS3 and the Wii for making me go into work early to set everything up. I can't wait to see the fights that break out once we sell out both.

Surprise! More bad news!

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155303

If you own an older HDTV that only supports 1080i, and not 720p, the PS3 will automatically downscale the video to 480p.

Also, the PS3 is overheating and freezing while playing Blu-Ray movies.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=751836

I've also been seeing a lot of reports of the system freezing up multiple times per day with the display kiosks in stores.

Quite a fine investment, I must say.

usually the lines for these things start one side of the door, so someone should go to the store, START A LINE on the other side of the door with the sign.."Line for PS4 Starts here" or to piss them off, "Line for PS3" starts HERE"

The ironic thing about lining up over night, is that it is 100% up to the individual store, whether they want to honor the lines or not. When I camped for a PS2 overnight, we were fortunate enough to have the manager of Target cooperate with us and hand out numbered tickets to us, in the same order we were in line, but I have heard plenty of stories of people lining up all night, and then about an hour or so before the store opens, another random 50 people show up and just go right up to the door, ignoring the line, and the manager of the store doesn't really care and they end up getting in there first or at least among the people in the front of the line.

Wow, that is bullshit. Mine is 1080i native, but does support 720p.

We have the same tv almost exactly...so duh.

We do?

Sony is going to get a lot of phone calls about the HD thing this weekend, or Monday if they aren't open this weekend. Hell, when I was at BB looking at the PS3, the thing froze up on me twice.

I'll laugh when most of these people make virtually nothing re-selling the PS3...

Making $1100 is nothing?

Cost of the system minus the cost of selling it on ebay (which most of them will be doing).

They will net like 200 bucks in the end. And if you get a job, you can make 200 bucks in the time you spent waiting for the fucking thing.

There was a line of about twenty people with three tents outside my local BB @ 4 PM PST.

I went inside and there was a display for the PS3. No one was playing it. You know why? Cause the damn thing was frozen. The 360 display was also not working.

Best Buy had to make its video game section larger to accomodate the Wii and PS3.

Almost nobody is going to get $2200.

And now for something completely different, a reason to actually want to keep a PS3--

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2006/10/02/fans-o...-third-is-born/

Zone of the Enders 3! Kojima is talking about it on his blog, if you can read Japanese:

http://www.blog.konami.jp/gs/kojiprog/2005...000429.php#more

Ef Metal Gear Solid 4.

Holy crap. GameStop just gave NBA 07 a horrible review with a 4.9 out of 10 score. Click here to check it out. The game doesn't even have in-game announcers. Like someone on DVDTalk said, this screenshot says it all:

NBA 07 on the PlayStation 3 doesn't have the entertaining story mode that the PlayStation 2 version has, but it does have most of that version's flaws, and some new ones, too.

The Good: Multicolored shot meter works well; nba replay is fun for a short while.

The Bad: The Life story mode is nowhere to be found; no announcers; unimpressive graphics; poor artificial intelligence and buggy gameplay; $20 more than the superior ps2 version.

93508820061114screen001ez9.jpg

Around the NY/NJ area, people are definitely gonna have a hard time getting one. Already, lines at my local Circuit City were starting, but I heard the line got rowdy and the police dispersed the line and prohibited anyone else from lining up early. And they must be receiving LOW amounts of PS3. A Sam's Club store near me put up a sign that they are receiving only 2 UNITS of the PS3...

The Walmart in Central, SC (right up the road from Clemson) only got six, count em SIX PS3 systems in stock, and then six more "rain checks". To be a college town that shocked me. I was sold that about 40-50 people in line there wouldn't be able to get one after camping out for hours and for some, days.