TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

With how batshit crazy people are going, imagine if PS3 actually had a decent launch lineup. It would be the end of civilised society as we know it. There would be rioting in the streets and people would be instantaneously combusting.

I think I've pegged March as when I buy the PS3. That's when Virtua Fighter 5 comes out, and that's enough for me to want the system. I'd imagine there might be a couple other good games out by then too.

Yeah, and not only is the launch lineup usually weak, the first generation hardware itself tends to be all buggy and unreliable. Why would you want to line up or pay crazy money for weak games and crappy hardware?

Christmas 2007 for me unless VF5 is totally amazing.

Eh, more like good job Sony. It's not really Best Buy's fault that Sony's doing such a shitty job getting PS3s produced in time for launch. I wonder if any store will really know how many PS3s they're getting until they actually get the shipment in.

http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=3341

Best Buy to offer empty-handed PS3 buyers an Xbox 360

Best Buy stores will offer empty-handed Playstation 3 buyers an Xbox 360 should the retailer sell out of Sony's anticipated next-generation console.

According to a Best Buy's retail protocol for selling the PS3, customers who waited in line but didn’t get a PS3 will be offered a launch day deal of an Xbox 360 Premium System and two game titles, with a third title at no cost.

The offer is said to be valid from Nov. 17 to Nov. 19.

That is not much of a deal.

I know someone that got a Japanese PS3 and the size was the first thing they commented on.

It also scratches very easily.

ps3scratch-thumb.jpg

Here

And I think I might drive by my Best Buy at around 11:30 or so. If the line is short, I'll get in. If not, I'll leave.

Then I will sell it and make money.

Yeah because you have the idiots out there who will spend over $1300 for a freakin system in which you can get the same exact games for on the 360 or another system.

Guest Smues

My local Bestbuy will hand out tickets at 7am and open at 8am. The forecast for the week shows the temperature being around 0 then so I'm tempted to drive by around 7 and see how many people actually are out there waiting.

Guest Princess Leena

I'd guess about 2/3 are planning to sell it. That doesn't mean everyone will, though. I've gone to enough game sales to see how many of those types are out there.

Not like it even matters. Saying "The PS3 is a failure, no one actually wants it to play it, they just want it to sell it!!" just doesn't make any sense (not saying anyone here is saying that, just using it as an example). If there's a large market for PS3s at an inflated price, obviously a lot of people actually do want the system to play it.

The only part that matters is that there might not be as many people playing online on day one. After a few days or a week or two, it'll be normal I think.

What matters is that everyone is buying one for an inflated price, people here even mentioned buying one on Ebay to resell later during the Christmas season for an even MORE inflated price.

The buck has to stop at some point.

We'll see game sales...

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
Famitsu reported that Sony has sold 88,400 units of the PS3 in the first two days of launch in Japan. Here is the break down by model:

PS3 20GB Model - 33,800 units.

PS3 60GB Model - 54,600 units.

Here are the initial sales of the top three PS3 titles in Japan over the weekend:

Ridge Racer 7 (Namco Bandai) - 30,300 units (hw/sw ratio: 34.2%).

Mobile Suit Gundam: Target in Sight (Namco Bandai) - 30,000 units (33.9%).

Resistance: Fall of Man (Sony) - 15,700 units (17.7%).

I think the whole issue comes down to this, for everyone who will pay upwards of $1,000 to get it at launch, there are likely 5 to 10 people who are waiting for a price drop. If the price tag was $100 lower, I think the amount of people who'd be willing to part with the cash would be exponentially higher.

I had to wait about 6-8 months to get a PS2 because I didn't pre-order and no one around here was selling the system unbundled. I won't have an issue waiting a year to get a PS3 at a reduced price, and the launch era "hits" for 1/2 price as well.

It doesn't really mean anything one way or another that there's a lot of tards willing to pay 3x retail to get a PS3.

There will always be idiots with too much money for their own good and/or the wisdom to use it well.

Oh, some good news:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/745/745259p1.html

One year warranty on PS3.

It's about ****ing time, Sony.

EDIT: apparently the slim PS2 and PSP had 1 year warranties already; the PS1 and original PS2 had 90 days.

Now one could only hope that Sony's customer service improves, rather than attempting to put the blame on you somehow when their shit breaks.

It doesn't really mean anything one way or another that there's a lot of tards willing to pay 3x retail to get a PS3.

There will always be idiots with too much money for their own good and/or the wisdom to use it well.

Oh, some good news:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/745/745259p1.html

One year warranty on PS3.

It's about ****ing time, Sony.

EDIT: apparently the slim PS2 and PSP had 1 year warranties already; the PS1 and original PS2 had 90 days.

Now one could only hope that Sony's customer service improves, rather than attempting to put the blame on you somehow when their shit breaks.

Reminds me of when I got the dreaded disc-read error on my original PS2....I tried a big chunk of my game library to make sure it wasn't just a specific game, and when I called their customer support, I had to argue with them that it was not, in fact, all of my games that had suddenly "gone bad", it was the one common factor: the system.

I think the phone call took like an hour of them trying somehow to pin this error on anything but the system itself, and they finally begrudgingly agreed to fix it.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/745/745271p1.html

PS3 Accepts Any Third-Party HDD

Official hard drives not needed.

by Chris Roper

November 10, 2006 - According to the PlayStation 3's included Safety and Support manual, the system will accept any 2.5" Serial ATA hard disc drive, and not only officially licensed Sony products. This opens up the possibility of installing a much larger drive than what the system comes with. The manual does note that "Proper operation is not guaranteed for all models" of hard drives, but obviously this is Sony's "just in case" small print.

Meanwhile, 360 owners are stuck with a mere 20 GB because their HDDs need to be specially made to fit with the 360.

I think the phone call took like an hour of them trying somehow to pin this error on anything but the system itself, and they finally begrudgingly agreed to fix it.

MS isn't much better.

Anya was sold that she "was screwed" by one of the reps.

Yeah that was weird. She also told me to just look info up online.

The other 2 MS people I talked to were fine though. They asked a few questions then agreed to fix the system. They didn't put up much of a fight at all.

Good to hear about the PS3 HDs.

Also, in that article about the warranty, I saw someone else ask whether their monster PS2 component cables will work with a PS3, and the answer was yes. Are the monster cables special, or will the official PS2 component cables work with PS3 also?

Guest Princess Leena
What matters is that everyone is buying one for an inflated price, people here even mentioned buying one on Ebay to resell later during the Christmas season for an even MORE inflated price.

The buck has to stop at some point.

We'll see game sales...

Only some are going to get $1000+ in re-selling it...

I know there's a lot of idiots who will overpay, but there's not going to be many thousands of them.

And we're not going to hear about the people who making only $50-100 by re-selling, which I think will be most common.

Does the PS3 come with HDMI cables still, or do you have to buy them seperatly?

The $600 model comes with one. The system uses a standard HDMI cable though, which can be had for about $4.