TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

well, i was actually being sarcastic after sonys comments that we should expect to pay more for the PS3 and the price wasn't high at all. But hey, now I have more info.

Guest Smues
well, i was actually being sarcastic after sonys comments that we should espect to pay more for the PS3 and the price wasn't high at all. But hey, now I have more info.

Doh. I should have picked right up on that, given how arrogant Sony has been about the PS3 pricing. Oh well.

40 GB confirmed for Europe.

+ It's cheaper.

- Doesn't play PS2 games. At all. But, hey, the PS3's software lineup is strong enough at this point to do without it, right? (Don't laugh. That's the official company line about it!)

I predict another brief sputter in sales before things settle down. Then Sony announces the new 15 GB model, which doesn't support hi-def, wi-fi, uses only wired controllers, and has to be manually cranked each time you want to turn it on. Only $349!

Guest Smues

+ It's cheaper.

- Doesn't play PS2 games. At all. But, hey, the PS3's software lineup is strong enough at this point to do without it, right? (Don't laugh. That's the official company line about it!)

I predict another brief sputter in sales before things settle down. Then Sony announces the new 15 GB model, which doesn't support hi-def, wi-fi, uses only wired controllers, and has to be manually cranked each time you want to turn it on. Only $349!

Doesn't play PS2 games at all? Take that Europe!

+ It's cheaper.

Doesn't play PS2 games at all? Take that Europe!

The 60 GB with software emulation is still available and has been price-dropped, though.

We still have the 60 GB with hardware emulation...for now.

On paper, this is somewhat parallel with 360 Core (soon to be Arcade Pack model), which has no xbox 1 game compatibility. However, the 360 has a stronger library in the first place, and the 360 core can be made a full-featured 360 with a hard drive. All you need to obtain BC on 360 is add a hard drive; this gimptard PS3 cannot claim similar upgrade capabilities.

I can do without backwards compatability if it means a significant price drop. Realistically, 90% of the PS2 games I have, I have beaten, the other ones are sports games that will be replaced in the next season anyway, and the other ones were/are on the verge of being traded in for something else anyway. I have owned a lot of PS2 games through the years, but I was never one to hold on to mass amounts.

As long as no big financial suprises come up in the next two months(like a major car repair, or something on that level) I should have enough money put away for the PS3 by the end of November, which will make it a nice Christmas gift for me.

I never use my PS3 for PS2 games. Keeping the old PS2 hooked up isn't a big deal and I need it for Guitar Hero games anyways...at least until GH3 comes out.

What makes BC a big deal for a lot of people, I believe, is a) the PS3 library is still rather poor, b) the PS2s aren't reliable hardware, with the possible exception of the slim. Sony's offering a new machine that finally has an acceptable warranty, and in some cases has the ability to play nearly all PS2 games. For people with sputtering, dying PS2s that could give out any day, the prospect of a shiny new machine that can do the same thing and then some is quite nice.

The impending US 40GB PS3 leaves doubt as to the 60 GB's future. Ideally, one should have the choice to pay extra for the BC if they want it. However, since the 80 GB only has the software BC, and the 40GB is coming, I'm guessing the 60GB will be phased out.

It's disappointing that right now it seems like the most compelling argument for getting a PS3 now is "if you wait, you will probably only have the choice of two shitty models."

The biggest reason as to why I'm getting a PS3 over a XBox 360 is because of BC. I don't like selling games, so I don't want to just leave like 40+ games around in the background. It's good to have that kind of backup.

But does the 40GB version have BC?

The biggest reason as to why I'm getting a PS3 over a XBox 360 is because of BC. I don't like selling games, so I don't want to just leave like 40+ games around in the background. It's good to have that kind of backup.

But does the 40GB version have BC?

Nope, zilch, nada, nothing.

Actually, they have never actually said if PS ONE games work or not, but a definite NO for PS2 games.

It will play PS1 games, still. If it didn't, it would basically kill a good bit of the PSN store.

It achieves it through software emulating the PS1 hardware.

All that "no plans" for a U.S. version of the 40GB? My ass.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/40gb-ps3-dated-308191.php

Only Three Hundred and Ninety Nine U.S. Dollars...and ninety-nine cents, plus applicable sales tax, tariffs, bundle-whoring, etc. Plus this holiday season you get to choose from 65 titles, such as Not Metal Gear Solid 4 and Not Final Fantasy XIII.

Guest Smues

So is with all the trimming down of the PS3, is the essence of its DNA still real change that the consumers are ready for?

It will play PS1 games, still. If it didn't, it would basically kill a good bit of the PSN store.

It achieves it through software emulating the PS1 hardware.

The only PS1 game I have on my PS3 is Syphon Filter and OMG it's tough to look at. NES games can be easier on the eyes.

So is with all the trimming down of the PS3, is the essence of its DNA still real change that the consumers are ready for?

Since Sony is saying this is totally what we wanted, of course it is, based on what recent purchasers of the PS3 reportedly think.

So the new 40gb model will still have the Wi-Fi and HDMI ports? And although it has fewer USB ports, is the PS3 compatible with standard USB hubs? Cause those things are pretty damn cheap.

Yes on the Wi-Fi. As for the USB hubs, Sony hasn't really been a stickler on proprietary stuff for PS3, but you can bet it's not an "officially" supported feature unless they release an "official" PS3 USB hub.

The nuts and bolts of PS3 compatibility, BTW: http://kotaku.com/gaming/customer-service/...t-to-308467.php

PS one

The PS3 has never been equipped with either the CPU or GPU that were used in the original PlayStation, and the backwards compatibility for PS one titles has therefore been made available through software emulation from

the beginning. Therefore backwards compatibility for PS1 titles remains the same no matter how many times the model is changed.

PS2

On the other hand, backwards compatibility for PS2 titles is largely made possible through the use of actual semiconductors, supported by the PS3 system software. The 20GB and 60GB PS3 models launched in Japan and the USA were equipped with both the PS2 Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesiser chips and we could therefore guarantee over 90% backwards compatibility for PS2 titles.

The 60GB model launched in Europe was a new model (shared with the 80GB model launched subsequently in USA) which contains only a modified version of the Graphics Synthesiser chip from the PS2 and not the Emotion Engine chip. The European launch model therefore used a combination of software and the modified version of the PS2 Graphics Synthesiser chip to deliver backwards compatibility for PS2 titles. As a result the percentage of

backwards compatible PS2 titles was slightly reduced.

The 40GB model, to be launched in Europe on 10th October, is a new model and is not equipped with any of the semi conductors from the PS2, and backwards compatibility would therefore have to be achieved by software

emulation alone. The sheer numbers of PS2 titles available, together with the increased complexity of using a software only solution for each and every title means that to ensure accurate software emulation for the

majority would be technically challenging, time consuming and costly. As we have mentioned on several occasions, our engineering resources are now focused on developing new and innovative features and services for the PS3

and, as a result the 40GB model does not have backwards compatibility with PS2 titles.

The current PS3 system software and future updates will continue to support backwards compatibility for the current 60GB and 80GB models, and publishers can check their new PS2 titles to ensure they play on the 60GB

and 80GB models.

Keen gamers, for whom backwards compatibility is important, can still purchase the existing 60GB PS3 Starter Pack which contains an extra SIXAXIS controller, two first party titles and has extensive backwards

compatibility with PS2 titles.

So like I said, it's always been SW emulation on the PS1 front.

Well hopefully the new 40gb PS3 will be hitting store shelves in early November (as rumored). At $400, I can pretty much go out and buy it at launch, or pretty soon afterwards depending on how many games and/or accessories I plan to get with it initially.

40 GB PS3 at Target

They're speculating its coming out the 28th to coincide with Spiderman 3's BR Release and the fact that..you know Spiderman 3 BR is bundled with it.

$399 for a Blu Ray Player with Spiderman 3 (and 5 more movies)

hmm

Nice. I wonder if it is coming to other major department stores on the 28th as well. Hopefully.

Saw this over on Yahoo News:

NEW YORK - Sony Corp. on Thursday cut the price of its PlayStation 3 game console in the U.S. and announced an even cheaper model that will arrive before the holiday shopping season.

The top-line PlayStation model, with an 80 gigabyte hard drive, now costs $499, down from $599. That effectively eliminates the lower-end model, which has a 60-gigabyte drive and has sold for $499.

A new low-end model with a 40-gigabyte drive will go on sale Nov. 2 for $399.

Unlike the other PlayStation 3 models, the new one won't be able to play games made for the PlayStation 2. In a statement, Sony said this was due to a more extensive lineup of games of the PlayStation 3.

The U.S. launch of the 40-gigabyte model was widely expected, since Sony has already announced it for Japan and Europe. It narrows the price gap with competing game consoles, but the PlayStation is still the most expensive.

Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 costs $350 and Nintendo Corp.'s Wii costs $250. The PlayStation 3 has been trailing them both in U.S. sales, and the Wii has been a breakout hit for Nintendo, with more than 9 million units shipped. Sony has sold 5 million PlayStation 3s since they went on sale in November last year.

Edit: I guess Andrew already posted this in the Koatku link? I don't own a PS3 so I never come in here.

The 'extensive' lineup for the PS3 is the funniest thing in a while.

Sony's totally right! Who would want to play those crappy old PS2 games now that they can play Lair on their PS3?!

This is a good move, though, as long as they make the $399 model widely available. $399 is starting to be fairly mass-market, so sales should pick up somewhat. Knowing Sony, though, the $399 model will be impossible to find, defeating the entire purpose of the price cut.

Guest Smues

Looks like thus far they haven't changed their minds on PS2 emulation, so I guess I'm glad I was forced into buying the 60gb model a few months ago thanks to Sony's bullshit decided to buy one a few months ago when they announced they were discontinueing the 60 giger.

The 'extensive' lineup for the PS3 is the funniest thing in a while.

Sony's totally right! Who would want to play those crappy old PS2 games now that they can play Lair on their PS3?!

This is a good move, though, as long as they make the $399 model widely available. $399 is starting to be fairly mass-market, so sales should pick up somewhat. Knowing Sony, though, the $399 model will be impossible to find, defeating the entire purpose of the price cut.

Introducing a new model is no "price cut."

Europe did get a price cut on the 60 GB. The 80GB we have right now is the semi-gimped version.

Well since it is basically official at this point, I guess I should be calling the local Gamestop(s) to see if they have a definitive date for these new models to arrive, and if they are taking pre-orders, because while they probably won't sell like hotcakes, if they only get 2-3 40gb consoles per shipment, it still might be somewhat of a task to track one down upon launch.

So before I run out and go get the thing, I have to ask, I am fine with less USB ports and no PS2-playback, but I am wondering...

Is a 40gb hard drive enough for an average gamer? Games I like are:

Ratchet & Clank (and others in the genre)

Madden (but I always trade the old one in for the new one and wipe off all the old memory for the previous years release

GTA-type games

Survival Horror

Metal Gear Solid

Guitar Hero

I am not limited to merely those games, but that gives you an idea of what would be in my gaming collection at any given time. I am not really one that is going to download a lot of online content. Not saying I NEVER will, but I just don't really care to do it much.

I am pretty sure 40gb should be fine for a person like me, who buys-beats-trades in most of my games, but I just want to make sure I am not handicapping myself with a smaller hard drive.

40Gig should be plenty and it's cheap enough to upgrade that in the future anyways.

I don't know if you would use it for Music/Video/Picture viewing/listening but I do, and not having to use up HDD space for it is great as you can stream all of those things from your PC to the PS3.