TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

The NHL Thread - October

Also, check out Bill Berg on the NHL network (also on TSN outside of Leafs Region tonight) pleading for an asterisk on the Sabres' record-tying win tonight.

I saw that. A little pathetic, even considering Berg was on the 93-94 team.

Guest Princess Leena

How are the Sabres this dominant? Other than Miller, who was obviously going to turn into a star.

Guest Chumpstain
Also, check out Bill Berg on the NHL network (also on TSN outside of Leafs Region tonight) pleading for an asterisk on the Sabres' record-tying win tonight.

Why give an asterisk? Does the Leafs 10-0-0 record have an asterisk for coming after overtime was added in the early 80s? They did win one of their 10 games in overtime, after all, which would have been a tie before that. If none was added then, there shouldn't be one now.

How are the Sabres this dominant? Other than Miller, who was obviously going to turn into a star.

They've got one of the fastest teams in the league, they roll all four lines, and pretty much every one of their forwards is capable of scoring at least 20 goals a year. The dropoff from line 1 to line 3 or 4 isn't as large for the Sabres as it is for the other teams in the league. Most teams are used to checking one 'big line', but who do you check on the Sabres? If you check Briere's line, Afinogenov will score. Stop Afinogenov's line, and Pominville will score. Derek Roy, Chris Drury, Thomas Vanek, Jochen Hecht, Ales Kotalik, and on and on.

I'm gona say the exact opposite of your post.

Why are the Sabres so dominant when I wasn't sold on Miller starting the season?..And quite frankly, I'm still not. When the league's leading scorer isn't on your top line, you've got shit figured out.

*Sigh...I agree with the noob. Ten wins are ten wins. They were for the Leafs, they are for the Sabres.

Personally, all of the their shoot-out wins, I don't think Buffalo would have won if they were in the playoffs against those teams (especially against Detroit). If a team has to rely on shoot-outs in the regular season, they're not going far in the playoffs no matter how good their season is.

Max,

Completly agree on the officiating. It was horrible out there, but Thomas has the save of the week/month out there on Johnson today.

Considering that they have to go through Fort Erie to get to downtown Buffalo, I'd say that's a given. True story - a friend of mine got a job in Buffalo. He was gonna live in Fort Erie and do the cross-border thing every day (this was pre-9/11), but took one look at Fort Erie and decided that Buffalo was a much better place to stay.

Where was he looking? Downtown Fort Erie? Of course it is going to be a shitty area. Since everything is gone from there. Everything south of the Garrison (Highway 3) is much better. But I guess during that time frame Fort Erie inself was completly dismantled because they were adding so much shit into the town.

Personally, all of the their shoot-out wins, I don't think Buffalo would have won if they were in the playoffs against those teams (especially against Detroit). If a team has to rely on shoot-outs in the regular season, they're not going far in the playoffs no matter how good their season is.

Max,

Completly agree on the officiating. It was horrible out there, but Thomas has the save of the week/month out there on Johnson today.

I disagree with this statement as much as I have ever disagreed with anything written on this board.

The thing that makes Buffalo's streak so compelling is that most people can see that they WERE the best team in the playoffs last year before they lost SIX starters to injuries including FOUR defensemen.

Lindy Ruff knows how to coach teams to playoff success. And...oh yeah...the team is even better this year as Miller improves and the team speed is upped. And Thomas Vanek...

To say that we wouldn't beat those shootout win teams is spotty at best.

2 of them we beat again in regulation already...

And Detroit couldn't beat Miller. I believe the shots on goal were 31 to 8 after 2 periods...

In a tie game.

Considering that they have to go through Fort Erie to get to downtown Buffalo, I'd say that's a given. True story - a friend of mine got a job in Buffalo. He was gonna live in Fort Erie and do the cross-border thing every day (this was pre-9/11), but took one look at Fort Erie and decided that Buffalo was a much better place to stay.

Where was he looking? Downtown Fort Erie? Of course it is going to be a shitty area. Since everything is gone from there. Everything south of the Garrison (Highway 3) is much better. But I guess during that time frame Fort Erie inself was completly dismantled because they were adding so much shit into the town.

This may have been pre-Fort Erie slots. And yeah, he was looking downtown.. or at least near the bridge. You do the cross-border thing, you want to live as close to a crossing as you can.

And I say no asterisks. Records are meant to be broken. Unless you're allegedly on HGH and wear armour over your arm.

I get to see the Penguins play the Kings at Staples. That's the only positive from this atrocious week of Los Angeles Kings hockey.

Go figure, I forgot to activate Kaberle, who's struggled this season, on my roto league team (I had him benched) and he's already scored two goals tonight.

Flyers get shellacked again, this time 8-2 to Pittsburgh. Hat trick for Crosby, 1 goal and 2 assists for Malkin. I think the Pens will make a run at a playoff spot this year.

Bruins pull out a 2-1 victory.

- Great effort from Tim Thomas with some really great saves including a sprawling, reach back glove save.

- Very good job on the penalty kill, especially in the 3rd period.

- The B's were definitely being more aggressive this game in terms of being physical with the other team.

- I really like the aggresiveness Kessel has towards the net. At one point, he had 6 of the 12 Bruins shots.

That Crosby kid is pretty good, eh?

That Malkin kid ain't no slouch either, eh?

Oh and Fleury seems to be respectable this year, eh?

This has been alot of fun watching this team grow up. After 5 years of futility, it's exciting watching the Pens again. There will be some bumps in the road, but being on the other end of a 8-2 beatdown was alot of fun.

This has been alot of fun watching this team grow up. After 5 years of futility, it's exciting watching the Pens again. There will be some bumps in the road, but being on the other end of a 8-2 beatdown was alot of fun.

Yes we get it.

Your a Penguins fan.

We aren't ignoring how great Crosby, Malkin or the Penguins are.

Shut up.

Guest Princess Leena

Sabres lost in a shootout to Atlanta. :(

But, it ends up being like a tie, so yay.

Guest Felonies!

8470 friends, Leena? You have more fake friends than a Blackhawks game has spectators!

Yes we get it.

Your a Penguins fan.

We aren't ignoring how great Crosby, Malkin or the Penguins are.

Shut up.

Why the hostility? I didn't post anything out of the norm that has been going on with any other team in this thread.

Skull, if you've noticed people like myself and Leena post about our teams and usually what they're doing well/wrong.

You seemed to be taunting us with the fact that we weren't constantly crowing about Crosby, Malkin, etc. with the ____, eh?

You came off as if gloating when none of us were even questioning if the guys you mentioned were any good or not.

Skull, if you've noticed people like myself and Leena post about our teams and usually what they're doing well/wrong.

You seemed to be taunting us with the fact that we weren't constantly crowing about Crosby, Malkin, etc. with the ____, eh?

You came off as if gloating when none of us were even questioning if the guys you mentioned were any good or not.

It was just a joke, sorry if it came off the wrong way.

Anyhow I haven't had much to gloat about in the last 5 years or so, so this is a welcome change.

The Pens have problems though, no doubt. The defense needs to play better, Fleury can't stand on his head the whole year. They need to get some other production from players not named Crosby or Malkin.

The playoffs are still a long way away, but I'm just a bit happy that I have a competitive hockey team going into November, something that hasn't happened in almost 5 years.

There will be some bumps along the road though no doubt, probably starting this coming week when the Pens head out west to take on La/SJ/Anaheim.