TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

The NHL Thread - October

Buffalo already got two feet of snow? I figured they had another week before that happened.

I thought so too. Here's where it gets pretty interesting.

On the Canadian side of the border, the cities of Fort Erie, Port Colborne, Welland, Niagara Falls and St. Catharines basically form a home plate towards 5 o clock, with Buffalo immediately opposite the top of the plate, where Fort Erie is. We got about three feet of snow in Fort Erie, where my parents live and I work on weekends. Power's out for five days, save a few sporadic places here and there with generators. The same holds true for what could be called Metro Buffalo, with power out, phones down and tonnes of damage from fallen trees and what have you. Port Colborne, where Baron's from, is in a similar spot but not as bad. Welland and Niagara Falls have little to no snow, and St. Catharines, where I'm from, has nothing.

There's a few reasons I bring this up:

-During the first two periods of last night's Sabres-Red Wings game on TSN, they continually eluded to the fact that all the snow and potential damage to the city of Buffalo was the reason for the poor Sabres play in the first forty minutes.

- There was still a game at the HSBC tonight, which the Sabres won 7-4. Anyone get the attendance, out of curiosity?

The game was almost a sellout according to Yahoo!

See, thats a formative lie right there. I've been to games, where there are sellouts according to the stadium, but really indicating about 13,000 people, as sections are pratically empty.

Buffalo already got two feet of snow? I figured they had another week before that happened.

I thought so too. Here's where it gets pretty interesting.

On the Canadian side of the border, the cities of Fort Erie, Port Colborne, Welland, Niagara Falls and St. Catharines basically form a home plate towards 5 o clock, with Buffalo immediately opposite the top of the plate, where Fort Erie is. We got about three feet of snow in Fort Erie, where my parents live and I work on weekends. Power's out for five days, save a few sporadic places here and there with generators. The same holds true for what could be called Metro Buffalo, with power out, phones down and tonnes of damage from fallen trees and what have you. Port Colborne, where Baron's from, is in a similar spot but not as bad. Welland and Niagara Falls have little to no snow, and St. Catharines, where I'm from, has nothing.

There's a few reasons I bring this up:

-During the first two periods of last night's Sabres-Red Wings game on TSN, they continually eluded to the fact that all the snow and potential damage to the city of Buffalo was the reason for the poor Sabres play in the first forty minutes.

- There was still a game at the HSBC tonight, which the Sabres won 7-4. Anyone get the attendance, out of curiosity?

The joys of Lake Effect snow.

BTW, most of the snow, that hit Thursday, is now melted away.

Guest Felonies!

Yeah, but it's always Buffalo. Toronto, Chicago, Milwaukee, and Detroit never get hit THIS hard.

Yeah, but it's always Buffalo. Toronto, Chicago, Milwaukee, and Detroit never get hit THIS hard.

Buffalo's in that sweet spot right between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario.

Excactly. The winds either come from the SW, or NW, and Buffalo gets drilled with it. I mean kids are lucky in Buffalo because they miss about 10-25 days of school because of the bad snow storms.

Flyers are getting the shit beat out of them by Buffalo. 8-1 Sabres now and it's just over 3 minutes into the 3rd period.

9-1 now, scored by Vanek (2nd of the game). Esche has been in goal for every one of them.

Geezus...

^_^ Go Phaneuf! Kill! I want more guys flying that high!

He's got three points tonight. So does Sheldon Souray. Habs up 5-4 with a handful to play. Huet should not be allowing five goals, nor should Calgary be scoring that many. I'll also take the vice versa, subbing Habs for Flames and Huet for Kipper.

Max, I'll assume you heard about Esche ripping Hitchcock this morning? I have no idea, they just mentioned it on The Score.... Hitchcock said "This is on us as a team. This is not the fault of Esche, who did a good job tonight".

If I was Esche, I would say that I'm not playing in Philly after that embaressment. I wouldn't blame him at all.

BTW, is it me, or are the mainstay rivalries like Calgary vs. Edmonton, Original 6s, and others starting to see life again? I ask because both Calgary vs. Edmonton games have been very passionate, and the few Original 6 games I've caught seem to have that flair as well.