TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cabbageboy

NFL Week 6

Okay let's see how my picks did. This is in terms of wins and losses.

Tennessee at Washington: Titans played surprisingly well vs. Indy, but I have a feeling that was a one week fluke. Skins by 14. (Wow, this one was a surprise although the Titans proved last week wasn't a fluke. 0 for 1)

Seattle at St. Louis: One of my rules of the NFL right now is that the Seahawks can't beat anyone decent on the road. Without Alexander I doubt they will here either. Rams by 6. (A dubious finish gives Seattle the win, blah. 0 for 2)

Carolina at Baltimore: Ravens are coming off a short week, Panthers are playing better. Seems like a total tossup, but I'll go with the Ravens at home by about 4. (It was a tossup but I picked the wrong side. There is a reason I stopped betting. 0 for 3)

Buffalo at Detroit: Bills got waxed by the Bears, now they go on the road to play the Lions. I actually think Detroit will pick up that first win here by 7 or so. (Hey, the Lions did get that 1st win! 1 for 4)

Houston at Dallas: The Texans are hopeless. Dallas is still good enough to roll a bad team, especially at home. Cowboys by 17. (This was the predicted asswhooping. 2 for 5)

NY Giants at Atlanta: Here's another real tossup. Giants can't afford another early loss, Falcons can't afford a home loss. I'm thinking Eli rallies the Giants late, forces OT, and Giants win by 3. (Ended up being a lot easier than I figured. 3 for 6)

Cincinnati at Tampa Bay: Bengals really can't afford a 2nd loss coming off a bye week, especially against the winless Bucs. Cincy by 10. (What the hell happened to the Bengals? 3 for 7)

Philadelphia at New Orleans: Eagles have been on a major roll. Are the Saints really this good? Another tough call, but I think the Saints pull off some sort of home magic to win by 5. (Ah, the Saints pulled this one out at the end. 4 for 8)

4:15:

Miami at NY Jets: Oh lord. The Dolphins can't beat much of anyone, the Jets are really up and down and coming off a 41-0 beating from the Jags. I'll have to go with the Jets by 7, mainly because when they play fairly well they are better than the Dolphins. (About what I predicted, two mediocre teams but the Jets are slightly better. 5 for 9)

San Diego at San Francisco: The 49ers can be oddly tough at home, but I can't see the Chargers flopping in SF like the Rams did. Chargers by 14. (Assbeating here, natch. 6 for 10)

Kansas City at Pittsburgh: Interesting matchup as the reeling Steelers need this one badly. I think Roethlisberger gets it together enough to win this one by 7. (Ended up as a major beatdown, though whether this leads to anything for the Steelers is anybody's guess. 7 for 11)

8:15

Oakland at Denver: This one should be funny. Or maybe just ungodly boring. Denver in another ugly game, something like 17-3. (Ended up even worse than I thought, 13-3. 8 for 12)

Atlanta can't win with a running back at QB. It is that simple. I loved watching Vick at VT but in the NFL he just can't play QB.

I think he's been in the league long enough for defenses to figure the Falcons out. Stop him and you win the game. It's just that simple. Vick is overrated, sure he's exciting as hell, but exciting doesn't win football games.

I thought it was funny that after the game, Vick called the Giant's D "vanilla." Yeah, well that vanilla D just destroyed you.

The Falcons need to become more than 1-demensional. Period. Vick goes down for the season two years ago, and they suck, thus firing the head coach at the time. Of course the same thing's going to happen if Vick goes down again -- who's going to run all those designed QB running plays? Hasselbeck?

People sure do seem to forget that Vick led the Falcons to the NFC title game a couple years ago and, in the process, beat Favre at Lambeau when the place still had its mystique. It would help if the recievers would quit dropping balls and make some plays. I still maintain that Vick can be successful in the NFL. He's not gonna become a running back so Atlanta's gotta roll with it. Maybe J.M.J. can come up with some schemes that involve Shaub at QB and Vick at RB or WR. Throw Dunn/Norwood into the mix and maybe they've got something. Just continue to keep the opponents guessing.

On another note, congrats to Rod Marinelli for his 1st win as Lions H.C. :)

People sure do seem to forget that Vick led the Falcons to the NFC title game a couple years ago and, in the process, beat Favre at Lambeau when the place still had its mystique. It would help if the recievers would quit dropping balls and make some plays. I still maintain that Vick can be successful in the NFL. He's not gonna become a running back so Atlanta's gotta roll with it. Maybe J.M.J. can come up with some schemes that involve Shaub at QB and Vick at RB or WR. Throw Dunn/Norwood into the mix and maybe they've got something. Just continue to keep the opponents guessing.

On another note, congrats to Rod Marinelli for his 1st win as Lions H.C. :)

That was almost 4 years ago. Since then, Vick has done absolutely nothing noteworthy besides come close to 1,000 yards rushing for a QB (which is a completely meaningless stat).

Yeah, people have learned how to deal with Vick, and he has probably already lost a step. The big danger for a guy so one-dimensional is that as soon as he begins to wear down a little he has nothing left. He isn't good at reading defenses, he isn't a good pocket QB, he doesn't have good accuracy and he doesn't spread the ball around. He hardly ever even throws to a WR. Once his natural athleticism starts to wane he has nothing left.

Guys who last a long time in any sport are guys who are good in different ways. Maybe they lose a step but get smarter. Vick hasn't shown any growth at all, and he stubbornly refuses to change.

Guest Felonies!

Pink Taco Stadium looks pretty good. I wonder whose side the crowd is going to be on.

EDIT: Kornheiser has reminded me how the greats have such great "Chicago Bear" names. Nice Germanic and Slavonic varieties. Dick Butkus, Bronko Nagurski, Mike Ditka, Brian Urlacher. Those consonants! Specifically, nice hard Ks. It's perfect.

EDIT at 7.50: what the fuck, guys.

Uh...wow. Didn't expect the Cardinals of all teams to march down the field virtually unopposed on the Chicago Bears.

Guest Paul

If anyone is trying to defend Vick as a QB, please stop. Their NFC Championship year was a fluke, when the Eagles ruled the NFC and EVERYONE else sucked. The Falcons had a cake schedule that year. Unless Vick learns to hold on to the ball when he takes a hit, he'll be nothing. Unless Vick tries to throw for 300 yards per game instead of rushing 100 yds, he'll be nothing. Unless Vick learns how to sit in the pocket as pass well (he DOES have a rocket-arm), he'll be nothing.

He's a sideshow. "Ooh, let's watch the QB run...he' SO FAST!"

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Oh, it's only the 2nd quarter. What the Bears need to do is get more pressure to Leinart. No matter how good he's supposed to be, he's still a rookie, and more shots like Urlacher landed on him on that overturned INT will get him nervous and scared. He'll make mistakes.

Guest Felonies!

The Bears look bad, though. Grossman is having a bad night and the defense isn't stopping the run. Even if the Bears win, it'll be a moral victory for ESPN.

Does anybody besides Ripper remember what Vick did... you know, the year before Knapp arrived?

Vick is very capable of being an outstanding quarterback. The problem he's having this year is the offensive coordinator is basically running the old Nebraska Cornhusker gameplan which doesn't even work in college football anymore.

Also, is the Chicago offense going to show up anytime soon? Seems like Grossman is forcing a little bit and it's killing them.

Who's the rookie quarterback again? I'm starting to forget.

Kyle Orton

Kyle would have been awesome if being a quarterback in the NFL didn't involve throwing the football.

Charles WITHOUT Wilbon? Boy, that just doesn't seem right at all. And what the hell is with this, "let's interview someone no one watching football gives a flying hell about in the second quarter!"