TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Spaceman Spiff

SNL Season 1 on DVD

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=6503

Nicknamed the "Not Ready for Primetime Players," the original cast of Saturday Night Live ignited a comedy revolution with their mix of irreverent characters and satirical impressions of political figures and pop culture icons.

From the premiere of this groundbreaking sketch comedy show on October 11, 1975, live from historical Studio 8H in New York City's Rockefeller Center, Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Jane Curtain, Chevy Chase, Garrett Morris, Laraine Newman, and Gilda Radner launched themselves into instant stardom and were often referred to as "The Beatles of Comedy."

Created by Lorne Michaels over three decades ago, few other shows have had the cultural impact and relevance of Saturday Night Live.

Nowhere else can you see the complete first season of SNL, featuring hosts George Carlin, Rob Reiner, Lily Tomlin, Richard Pryor, Elliott Gould, Candace Bergen, or original musical performances by Simon & Garfunkle, ABBA, Patti Smith, Jimmy Cliff, and Carly Simon. And if you're curious as to how the original cast was hired, check out the DVD bonus features that include the screen tests of each performer.

That's right, the thing we thought would never happen is happening; season 1 of Saturday Night Live is coming on December 5. The EIGHT disc set (all single-sided) will sell for $69.98 and includes a 32 page limited edition photo book with rare SNL photos of the cast and Lorne Michaels. The set will feature full frame (1.33:1) video, along with English stereo audio. The set includes 1594 mins of material - over 26 hours!

Obviously the big question on everyone's minds is "What about the musical performances?" and it's something we don't have the answer to right now, but we'll look into it and post anything we can find out.

Update: Universal has released artwork, as well as an ad that will be used to promote the set. The ad says "Every memorable host and musical superstar" on it, then goes on to list "George Carlin, Candice Bergen, Simon & Garfunkle, Carly Simon & more!" So, if the advertisement is to be taken at its word, these are uncut episodes which will include ALL the musical guests. Call us skeptics, but we're still going to contact the studios involved and confirm that there isn't a single musical act that had to be cut from the set.

Updated Update: We've confirmed with Broadway Video that NOTHING has been edited from this set. Not one single musical performance of skit!

SNL-S1.jpg

SNL-S1-Trade.jpg

Wow. Wonder how many other seasons will be released.

Great idea to put this show out on DVD in season sets, but obviously some seasons and casts will sell far better than others.

While I can see people buying entire seasons just for a few key skits, the 1980-81 season better be priced under $10.

Was it during season 1 that a grizzled Desi Arnez (and his noticeably need of dentures) hosted...or was that a bit later?

I was curious of they would ever release a set like this. I cannot fucking wait for the 90's.

Now I wonder if a Conan O'Brien season boxset will ever get released?

EDIT: That has nothing to do with the SNL boxset release. Those were two shows I thought would never get the complete boxset seasons release.

Andy Kaufman was in 3 of the first 4 episodes and 4 total in the first season. I've seen the "mighty mouse" appearance off the first episode and a couple other appearances over the course of the next 7 seasons. mostly his intergender wrestling skits via the late replay of old episodes.

I was curious of they would ever release a set like this. I cannot fucking wait for the 90's.

Now I wonder if a Conan O'Brien season boxset will ever get released?

It would have to be like 50 discs. I'd think not.

On regular DVD formats, it would tke that many discs. But with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray making it possible to put an entire TV show season on one disc, that would make Conan come in around 7 discs with your guesstimate of 50 discs.

I amazed that retail is 70 dollars, which means closer to 55-60 depending on where you find it, good price for an 8 disc set. I'll probably put this on the old Christmas List.

1. To those asking about Conan getting his talk show on dvd? Fat fucking chance. That will never fucking happen, because talk shows don't fucking sell on DVD. If God-Damn Oprah Winfrey, who's name is a basic liscence to print money in terms of people buying shit with her name on products, can't sell copies of her own show on DVD, no one will buy the Conan sets, let alone the fact that getting the rights to talk shows, let alone and entire year's worth of talk shows would be outritght impossible and will only happen in dream worlds where it rains Pepsi and the sky is Emerald Green

2. That said, this can't work out well unless the people putting out the DVDs have a shitloads and shitloads of money to burn and a willingness to put these suckers out even if no one buys them and even then, if the Gods smile on us, the best we can fucking hope for is that they'll release only the first five seasons on DVD since those are the "Golden Age" of the show and the only seasons worthy of DVD release.

Not gonna argue with the Conan DVD release. It is a pipedream that I figure will never come to fruition.

However, how in blue hell can you say that the first 5 seasons of SNL are the only ones good enough for a DVD release? I would put several of the 90's seasons over the first 5 seasons in terms of quality. I liked the early SNL seasons, but come on!

Does anybody else besides me think they aren't going to release every season of SNL on DVD? I think they're going to release the first five, then skip to 84-85(The Christopher Guest/Billy Crystal/Martin Short year, which if it does come out on DVD, I'm SOO fucking buying it), then skip to sometime in the late 80s, release DVDs till like 94-95 then skip till 96-97 and go on releasing seasons until after Ferrell left then skip and they'll release the last season or two.

They should research the market and see which seasons have the highest demand. Release those seasons for sure, but release ALL seasons in order...just release those with low demand in a very limited quantity. That way, you can both capitalize on those that absolutely love the show and would buy every season, those that buy complete sets just so they will be complete, and hopefully, the sets that on limited release will sell out and maybe create a bigger demand for them. Textbook marketing.

I'd like every season released, but I could see them skipping around a bit. Maybe release all the seasons in demand first to keep interest high, and then start releasing the leftovers?

Even shitty, transitional seasons (1980-81, 1994-95, and every season since Will Ferrell left come to mind) had some gems that would be worth buying if priced reasonably.

Sure the early 90s were great specifically because of Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, and Chris Rock, but I'm a far bigger fan of the late 80s cast. Of course, there was that good 1991-92 cross-over season where the early 90s guys were coming in while a lot the 80s guys hadn't left yet

**Inevitable debate over which cast was the best begins.**