TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RonL21

Kurt Angle/WWE...

It's kinda long but good...I think It belongs here.....

Thanks to Larry Csonka for this recap:

Q. At WM 19, when he [bROCK] did the shooting star, what went through your mind?

A. I wasn't sure if he was ok to go, I asked him and he responded, kinda, and we got to a standing position and we got to the finish and save the match, which could have been a disaster. Him landing the way he did was scary, but added to the match I feel. Anything can happen in wrestling.

Q. I think a lot of people are concerned with you for getting back into the ring. How will this be different, when you said you will be unleashed and not held back.

A. I never had the time to heal in the past. I will wrestle when I can go 100%, if I feel that I can't I won't wrestle, it is simple. Dixie has laid things out, and I will wrestle when I can and when they need me. I am a new name and face for TNA, and I have to be at the important events, but I will have time to rest and heal. I just can't go less than full bore, whether I have 5 or 10-years left, I will give the fans what they paid for.

Q. We heard that you were frustrated with WWE, would you elaborate?

A. I wasn't getting rest and the proper medical care. I was being buried into the ground. They would promise time off and then say I had to perform because others went out with injury. I felt I had to do it and they needed me, but also I was treated unfairly. They knew my history of injury, but they also put me out there when I needed the time off. I also had to do all the media appearances. I wanted to cut them to when I was on the road, not as extra days. I was very unhappy.

Q. Do you feel that you were pushed out of WWE ala Bret Hart going to WCW.

A. I left WWE. They had just resigned me to a new 5-year deal. Vince wants to compete with himself and he wants to keep it that way, he doesn't want TNA to take off. They never gave me the time off I needed and never gave me a chance to help teach younger talent to help the future of the company. I asked for the meeting, I asked for the release. It was a mutual release, and anything else that was reported is false. Vince wanted me to stay, but I wasn't having fun and WWE is going downward. I feel that I need to be used properly and I feel I was the best there. The agents felt the same way, but Vince didn't. I asked for it, I got the release and he wanted it to be mutual to save face and that was that. I don't see myself going back, but you can never rule anything out. My wife wouldn't let me probably. I promise that in TNA I will have fun and I won't be pressured. They look to us for ideas and that is important. There isn't all the politics, and I won't talk about people in WWE. I see room for me to grow here and for TNA to grow. I will be here with Dixie and TNA in some form for 30-years I hope, agent, writer, talent scout, developmental, anything I can do. I have a passion and I will always be here, and I will watch this company grow. I will get even bigger with a company that wants to use me properly. I want to tell the guys, if you can take my spot, take it, we'll al make more money together. I made a lot of people in WWE, but now I want to make the company in TNA. I will enjoy this, and it will grow quickly.

Q. There are rumors that you take too many painkillers. Can you explain that.

A. I haven't taken painkillers in over 3-years. I did have a problem and became dependant on them and I went to Jim Ross and Vince, and I explained to them I was afraid I may die. I was on the road 300 days a year and I would take full handfuls of pills. My wife took me to a pain doctor, and I had a match in 3-days with Cena. I was told to go to rehab, and I was told not to go cold turkey, but I wanted to do it cold turkey and he said I could die. I called Vince that I needed 3-months off for rehab and he refused and said to rehab on the road. He said he didn't want to hear excuses, and the doctor said it was impossible. I did it, but it took me down several notches. I had my PPV match with Cena, I made him look good and that was all that was important to WWE. From them on my relationship with Vince went sour. If you make big money for Vince, and as far as just wrestling I made him a lot, they don't care about you. I made Cena look tons better than he is. After that I was supposed to have the day off, but someone got sick and I was told to go and work while I was supposed to be off. I lost all respect for Vince then, and 2-3 years after that it got even worse and he and I didn't talk. It was both our faults in the end, but I never should have been put in that situation. Vince cares about the business more than an individual's health.

Q. Would you thank him for putting you on TV?

A. Sure, but I would have been successful anywhere. I had offers from everywhere, and I took his offer, which was the lowest. I could have done MMA, WCW, Japan and or movies. I do thank him sure, but I was thrown into the fire and I thank Patterson and Brisco and myself for the success I got. I would never trade my life for my career.

Q. What was it like dealing with the crazy WWE travel schedule?

A. Well my wife was always right and said not to buy into the WWE BS. It caused a lot of problems between us and we separated, I almost lost her and my family. No one in WWE cared about that, hell if I was single they could have used me more I was told. I won't say Vince planned that stuff that way, but he didn't do anything to help me either. What I will say is that if you are going to be my boss, please respect me and my family and give me time to heel. Dixie cares more about us and out families than she does about the wrestling. She wants us to succeed, but not at the cost of losing a family over it. I don't think Vince spends more than 10-days a year with his kids, I feel Linda raised the children. To me God is first, family second and my career third.

Q. You mentioned that you have watched TNA for a year. Do the WWE guys know about TNA and worry about it?

A. Yes they are. TNA has built a heavyweight division but then made the X-Division just as valuable. WWE never did that. TNA has reinvented WRESTLING and that is a great thing to see. I feel I am the best wrestler today, not a sports entertainer kissing the boss's ass, for real. TNA is so innovative and new and that is so exciting. TNA doesn't have enough time and if Spike gives us a 2-hour slot I promise ratings will climb. Then we can see all or talent. They all have so much hunger and they are excited and eager. In WWE guys are always down, here these guys want the top spot and want MY spot. I said, if they can take it please do so we all succeed.

Q. You discussed that you asked to be released. WWE agreed it was mutual and then said you were confrontational and a wreck. McMahon said last week that you would be your own demise and not thinking long term. What is your reaction to these comments?

A. Vince never thought I would go anywhere else. Vince said he would release me to rest and then come back. He offered me another 5-year deal when I was ready to come back. That shows that he didn't want to lose me. And I was a wreck, I was treated like a dog for years and were attacked the entire meeting for asking to wrestle part time. I then asked for the release and that shocked them. They then said I was acting oddly and I was. It wasn't from drug use, I did it because they were ignoring me. They wanted me to sign the new deal, and I didn't want to be signed with the devil. I didn't think I would get the release, I became emotional and was upset in the position they put me in. Vince had a change of heart. He heard I would make $30,000,000 in PRIDE, but didn't believe it. He said he would give me the time, and then would resign me.

Q. If he thought TNA was an option, do you think he would have fully released you?

A. No way. I thought I would do MMA but then I met Dixie Carter and it all seemed to fit. Spike TV is a great channel and I want to be a part of it. I will say I was emotional, and maybe on purpose and Vince dropped his guard and I got out of it. Vince thought I was a wreck, I wasn't but I got out, which is what I wanted. He didn't want to be liable probably yet wanted me back. He was the good and bad cop. That was supposed to be confidential.

Q. Were you upset about the negative text message that was released?

A. I wasn't surprised and he only did it because I was going to TNA. They knew I had signed because people talk to people and it went through the grapevine. It was a pre-emptive strike on his part. I asked for the release, he didn't fire me. I wanted the meeting, I made the choice. Vince tried to hurt my reputation, and it didn't hurt it. He got attention for himself, which is what he always wants.

Q. I do have a question regarding your written letter. You said you were never happy in WWE, so why did you stay?

A. I never felt I had time to look for other options. They always wanted you to sign right away before the time was out and you were not legally allowed to negotiate. They wanted a guy like me to sign 6-7-months early. It speaks volumes that they wanted me to stay. They harass you at home, the arena and would have a notary there in case you would try to get around it. I had some fun I got to work with great guys and some great angles, but it got old and I felt as if I was running into dead ends to put others over and to save shows. I have a gift from God, a talent, and it is a gift and a curse by the way WWE used me. I made other talent, Vince knew that, and he used me to the fullest he could. I saw Austin and Rock have their runs, but when it was my turn I t was never given to me. I felt I deserved it above HHH and HBK. I am not saying that they didn't deserve any run, but I don't see how you could pass up on me in that regard. Instead I would have to go down the card to make others instead of being THE guy. I wanted to be the guy to carry the ball, to be the champion and I feel I was never really given that chance. They wanted me to be funny, be a dork and not the champion I am just because I wasn't a politician. I wanted to help others, but once again was never given the chance. I feel I was looked down upon for helping other because everyone on top is afraid of losing their spot and THAT is their major problem right now.

Q. Will you keep wearing the mouth guard.

A. Yes I have started to like it, and we will be selling them soon enough. They are also real, you can actually use them. You'll also be able to make a mold and put anything on it you want written on it and send it to you. It's a cool idea and TNA is behind it. They also lower your concussion rate and it has helped me. I have 20 different mouth guards right now.

Q. Now that you are away from WWE, what are your thoughts on using Eddie's name for TV angles.

A. First of all Eddie died from exhaustion. WWE using Eddie in a storyline, well they are supporting his family, but the company is making a lot of money as well. People remember Eddie sure, but I would like to see EVERY CENT they make go to Vicky and the girls. If they want to be the good guy, they will not make money from his name. I doubt they are getting the tip of the iceberg as far as money goes.

Q. What were your thoughts on going to ECW?

A. Vince said it would be the wrestling company, when I got there I have no one to work with. I have RVD…Sabu with chairs, Sandman with his cane. I made Sabu look good without gimmicks. I was happy, Sabu did his part but then who else can I work with. I was an agent on the road and the guys were getting upset because they felt insulted. I wanted to teach them and give them stuff to work on. They didn't want to listen, I have a gift and could have helped them but I just couldn't get that through their heads. Well I wasn't happy either so I quit doing that. Then they started the entire cross promotion and that was idiotic to me. I don't use gimmicks, I tell a story by wrestling and I do it better than anyone else. Overexposure is a problem, 5-chair shots kills reality and no one believes anything anymore. I was never given a chance to be the new face of ECW, RVD was and he DID deserve it. I was so happy for him, I didn't want the title, and I wanted to have great matches. I wasn't on Summerslam because there was no one for me to work. I am being honest there.

Q. Who is the real Kurt Angle?

A. He is the man that you will see in TNA. Near the end of my ECW run you started to see it a little bit. WWE had an infatuation with "characterizations" and all, but they never let me be me, who IS a good character. I did all the other stuff before and it worked because I am a good actor. You know, Rock and Austin were themselves turned up. When I got to be me, the crowds started turning on Cena. He refused to let me be a face, and wouldn't give me more merchandize. He said there was no money in it for me because I wasn't Cena, Rey or HHH and HBK. I feel as far as wrestling goes that I have been involved in most of the great WWE matches, and not gimmick matches, real matches. I treat wrestling as if it is real and that is the real Kurt Angle and that is what you will see. Finally I get to be me in TNA.

These are all of the WWE/Vince for the most part...I want this to stay in the WWE Forum....The whole Interview had TNA questions but I took them out...

I listened to most of this interview. Angle seemed a bit off the deep end I thought, and has way too unrealistic of a view of himself and his place in wrestling.

I was also amused at his insistence that he could go to the UFC and start owning people.

Guest kresh

...To me God is first, family second and my career third...

Someone will find me retarded for for saying this but, thats retared.

Unless god is kurt's new nickname than its ok.

I listened to most of this interview. Angle seemed a bit off the deep end I thought, and has way too unrealistic of a view of himself and his place in wrestling.

I was thinking the same thing as I read this...Angle is good, but he alone won't make TNA into a giant...TNA still has a LONG way to go. WWE may be going down, but THEY have a LONG way to go before they hit rock bottom again.

A. I haven't taken painkillers in over 3-years. I did have a problem and became dependant on them and I went to Jim Ross and Vince, and I explained to them I was afraid I may die. I was on the road 300 days a year and I would take full handfuls of pills. My wife took me to a pain doctor, and I had a match in 3-days with Cena. I was told to go to rehab, and I was told not to go cold turkey, but I wanted to do it cold turkey and he said I could die. I called Vince that I needed 3-months off for rehab and he refused and said to rehab on the road. He said he didn't want to hear excuses, and the doctor said it was impossible. I did it, but it took me down several notches. I had my PPV match with Cena, I made him look good and that was all that was important to WWE. From them on my relationship with Vince went sour. If you make big money for Vince, and as far as just wrestling I made him a lot, they don't care about you. I made Cena look tons better than he is. After that I was supposed to have the day off, but someone got sick and I was told to go and work while I was supposed to be off. I lost all respect for Vince then, and 2-3 years after that it got even worse and he and I didn't talk. It was both our faults in the end, but I never should have been put in that situation. Vince cares about the business more than an individual's health.

Are these typo's or is Kurt so high he actually thinks we'll believe he hasn't touched a painkiller in 3 years?

Are these typo's or is Kurt so high he actually thinks we'll believe he hasn't touched a painkiller in 3 years?

:lol:

This was already addressed on the TNA Forum, but since it was posted again here, from 411mania.com:

TNA sent out the following statement a short time ago, correcting a statement Kurt Angle made during his conference call earlier today.

After the completion of today's call, Kurt Angle called us to correct an error he made in answering one of the questions. Kurt was asked by King Jordan of the NY Daily News about injuries he had incurred while working for his former employer. In answering the question, Kurt stated that he had not taken any painkillers in three years. He realized, after the fact, that he began using painkillers three years ago, and has been clean, rather, for eighteen months since the Cena PPV match he referenced (Feb 2005).

Sorry for any confusion this causes, Kurt felt it important to set the record straight.

Thank you all for the overwhelming response to today's call. I apologize to anyone who waited to have a question answered but couldn't due to our time constraints.

So, he has been clean for all of 2006? Does Kurt know this?

Perhaps someone should show him a picture from earlier in the year with his glassy eyes to remind him that he was on something. Not to mention whatever he's taking, be it steroids or growth hormone, that has totally changed his voice within the past three years.

I will always respect Kurt's ability but I've lost a lot of respect for him with his recent comments. Do I believe that Vince perhaps pushes people to work when hurt? Probably at times. I'm not going to nominate Vince McMahon for sainthood. But it's widely known that Kurt was afraid of losing his spot and didn't want to take time off when needed. He wrestled hurt and I find it difficult to believe that 80% of the time it wasn't his own choosing. They put him in the Smackdown GM role specifically to give him time to heal and he had numerous breaks during his WWE stay.

I don't buy into the idea that Kurt asked for his release rather than WWE firing him to pretty much force him into rest or at least not be liable if he worked for another company and died. I mean, he just came off of a 30 day suspension? Why didn't he address that. And if it wasn't a suspension and at the request of Kurt then they did indeed give him time to rest up.

I just don't think badmouthing the company that pretty much tried to save your life is a smart business move. Sure, he's right in the fact that HHH and HBK got pushed into top spots, etc. - they never gave him the opportunity to be the star - you'd expect to hear that of criticism. That's understandable but a lot of this is just Kurt in denial. Eddie didn't die from exhaustion Kurt. Eddie died because he packed on a physique of muscle way out of proportion with his height and he had a problem with painkillers. Sound familiar?

I think Kurt thinks TNA is the one saving his life...I honestly believe he thinks that. Maybe they were able to get in his head somehow and brainwash him, like Vince is accused of doing. They could have just signed him and waited for him to come back when he truly was 100%. With as many problems as he was having, I doubt taking a month or two off is enough time for him to get back where he used to be.

Guest Overworked

I wouldn't presume to know whats going on in Angles head, nor how he was treated in WWE. But from what I understand he had a great run from his start in mid-late 99 up thru 06. If you compare to number of great matches he had to the times where he had to sit out because they didn't know at the moment what to do with him, he hasn't had too much time sitting on his hands and being misused.

Again don't know the personal problems he was going through with his family, nor do any of us really. But it seems also to me that its better for him in TNA for the short term at least because if his wife in particular did have a serious problem with the travel schedule, then it was something unavoidable for the WWE, who moves their shows throughout the country and world frequently. At least with TNA they are more or less centralized in one spot for the TV events, and maybe travel for the house shows.

I know its like wrestling policy to bury the last place you been in, especially with Satan Vince being the boss of said last place, but knowing myself I didn't know who the hell Kurt Angle was before the WWE. I know plenty here follow the olympics and the indi's more religiously as I, but as far as I am concern, and probably a good chunk of wrestling fans, Kurt Angle's name at least in Professional wrestling, was made in the WWE. Sure he would have rightly gotten deals from all the feds and groups after his olympic win, but in the end it was the WWF/E that made him a true pro wrestling house hold name.

I wouldn't presume to know whats going on in Angles head, nor how he was treated in WWE. But from what I understand he had a great run from his start in mid-late 99 up thru 06. If you compare to number of great matches he had to the times where he had to sit out because they didn't know at the moment what to do with him, he hasn't had too much time sitting on his hands and being misused.

Again don't know the personal problems he was going through with his family, nor do any of us really. But it seems also to me that its better for him in TNA for the short term at least because if his wife in particular did have a serious problem with the travel schedule, then it was something unavoidable for the WWE, who moves their shows throughout the country and world frequently. At least with TNA they are more or less centralized in one spot for the TV events, and maybe travel for the house shows.

I know its like wrestling policy to bury the last place you been in, especially with Satan Vince being the boss of said last place, but knowing myself I didn't know who the hell Kurt Angle was before the WWE. I know plenty here follow the olympics and the indi's more religiously as I, but as far as I am concern, and probably a good chunk of wrestling fans, Kurt Angle's name at least in Professional wrestling, was made in the WWE. Sure he would have rightly gotten deals from all the feds and groups after his olympic win, but in the end it was the WWF/E that made him a true pro wrestling house hold name.

I would have to agree, because I didn't know of Kurt until he came to WWE. Given I was around 14/15 at the time, I was more self-centered and didn't pay attention to anything outside of myself, my family, and wrestling. I barely even watched sports. Six years later I have a better perspective on everything and I probably would have known Kurt if I was more into everything back then.

The weird thing is that WWE did move Angle over to SD and put the title on him, mainly to satisfy his demands over wanting a top spot. I think to some extent Angle is a mark for himself (which most wrestlers are I'd wager). Angle never drew such staggering money that he should unquestionably be higher on the card than HHH or HBK.

Let's face it, what has his signing with TNA really done for them thus far? They got a 0.9 this past week. TNA can sign all the guys they want, but what TNA really needs is to expand beyond just being in Orlando, FL. By this I mean a regular touring schedule, not just some spot shows occasionally or visits to Mexico that might not be documented on TV. Would Angle really want to be on the road with TNA full time?

The weird thing is that WWE did move Angle over to SD and put the title on him, mainly to satisfy his demands over wanting a top spot. I think to some extent Angle is a mark for himself (which most wrestlers are I'd wager). Angle never drew such staggering money that he should unquestionably be higher on the card than HHH or HBK.

Let's face it, what has his signing with TNA really done for them thus far? They got a 0.9 this past week. TNA can sign all the guys they want, but what TNA really needs is to expand beyond just being in Orlando, FL. By this I mean a regular touring schedule, not just some spot shows occasionally or visits to Mexico that might not be documented on TV. Would Angle really want to be on the road with TNA full time?

TNA can't do to Angle what they did with Sting. Sting has barely been seen this year, if Angle is barely seen more people will probably shit on it since they've gone through massive buildup for him.

What I will say is that if you are going to be my boss, please respect me and my family and give me time to heel.

He just wants to be a bad guy is that so wrong??

What I will say is that if you are going to be my boss, please respect me and my family and give me time to heel.

He just wants to be a bad guy is that so wrong??

He's Vince McMahon DAMMIT :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Very interesting read. Does anyone remember Angle's first interview on OTR? It's the EXACT OPPOSITE of what he said in this interview. He was grateful that the wwe had enough confidence in him that he won the wwe title within a year(in fact ALL the titles within a year) before he was even ready for it and stated that the other wrestlers were complaining. For a moment there he was also headlining WM 17 against Austin.

I agree with some of what Kurt said in this interview, but characterization was ALL KURT in the first year. He was only given those titles because of his olympic background and to build his character along with being in the top angle with HHH/Stephanie where even WWE Champ The Rock played second fiddle. He is right that from 2002-2004 he was probably ripped from legitimately being the top star, but he seems to forget that Brock was being groomed with the wwe title and he was in serious neck jeopardy. I guess it's not only Vince who makes revisionist history. Angle is still a class athlete when he's on point though.

This site continues to amaze me...the moment Angle actually vocalizes what people have been saying for years all of a sudden he's crazy....he can do EVERYTHING that people want a wrestler to do.. I maybe watched TNA twice in the years since it's been on PPV and t.v but I will damn sure try to watch it now...not ONLY because of Angle but he was definately the missing piece of the puzzle thus far...

This site continues to amaze me...the moment Angle actually vocalizes what people have been saying for years all of a sudden he's crazy....he can do EVERYTHING that people want a wrestler to do.. I maybe watched TNA twice in the years since it's been on PPV and t.v but I will damn sure try to watch it now...not ONLY because of Angle but he was definately the missing piece of the puzzle thus far...

People have thought Angle was crazy, long before this.

You know if you don't like what people think and don't like people who speak their opinons, you don't have to be on this site. You may not agree with them, but if you don't agree with what someone has to say, feel free to tell them that you feel their wrong and why. Don't bash us for just speaking about what someone might think.

What I get out this interview is the downward spiral his time in the WWE took. I remember reading the interviews....how happy he was to win all those titles in SUCH a short time.....how he has had great matches with alot of talent, etc.

I don't know. Most of what Angle said made sense to me, in terms of WWE not caring about how he was doing with his family and not taking him off the road, etc.

Where's all the outrage we saw on this board when TNA signed Angle? It seems, at least from Angle's interview, that TNA is the company that cares about him, not WWE.

Guest Jack Potts

I don't know how much stock to put into everything Angle said, but as a fan, I still harbor bad feelings toward Vince over the aborted angle featuring the love triangle among Kurt, HHH, and Stephanie McMahon.

That was one of the most compelling wrestling storylines I've seen since I started watching WWE, but they abruptly cut it off without a satisfying resolution, and I do think Angle's character suffered a bit for it.

...To me God is first, family second and my career third...

Someone will find me retarded for for saying this but, thats retared.

Unless god is kurt's new nickname than its ok.

How is he retarded for saying that?

I'm about to get those mouth pieces.

I don't know. Most of what Angle said made sense to me, in terms of WWE not caring about how he was doing with his family and not taking him off the road, etc.

Where's all the outrage we saw on this board when TNA signed Angle? It seems, at least from Angle's interview, that TNA is the company that cares about him, not WWE.

They did give him time off. Lots of it. Angle's full of shit

I've said here before that Kurt's eyes have been glazed over like mine were when I was adicted to Vicodens and Loritabs, crushing them and snorting them mostly.

They also make you sweat alot really easily, and Angle is always dripping with sweat 3 moves into a match.

The dude is fucking insane, and he's high as a motherfucker. Trust me, I've been there, I can tell by looking at hime for a while now.