TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

Kurt Angle shoots with Dave Meltzer

First Hour

Angle on WOL now is saying that when he went to Smackdown he was the second choice. Shawn Michaels was the first choice but he turned it down. Angle says he disrespects Shawn for that. He aso said he was sick of being the utility guy and wanted to be 'the' guy.

Angle says he was going to win the main event of Wrestlemania XIX until he hurt his neck.

Doesn't think Vince ever protected him.

Says they spent all week writing for Raw and then the next day would panic over not having anything to do for Smackdown or ECW, and would just say, "Well we'll put Angle in the ring to wrestle and that'll take up 30 minutes."

Says he broke his neck against Shawn on the Homecoming Raw (might have the wrong match here) when he landed wrongly on an Angle Slam. Broke his C7 and T1.

Says he was getting tested for painkillers every week and passing shortly after this.

Said he asked for a month off after dropping the World Title at WM 22, which was agreed to and was then asked to go on tour overseas. Says they kept putting him on the road even when he asked for time off. From what he says, it was along the lines of him being asked "just do this one thing" time after time.

Says he was losing weight, wasn't on painkillers even though he was getting tested weekly. Had a cortisone shot in his neck to help, and when he was drug tested they found steroids, the cortisone, and was suspended for a month which angered him. Said that eight others also tested positive but nothing was done about them, and that also upset him. Said he lost $125,000 from being suspended. Was calling Vince and Johnny Ace and was upset with them. Said it was at this point he decided to leave. Was calling UFC and they made him an offer that was good but he turned it down because they wanted to 'own him' and 'nobody was going to own Kurt Angle'. After this he was told he was going to ECW which he wasn't happy with but Vince told him he would be the top guy but then it ended up with Heyman writing Van Dam as the top guy. Vince met with Kurt and he handed Kurt a bunch of papers with a list of all the messages that Kurt had left Vince and Johnny Ace. Said he told Vince he wanted either part-time or he'd quit, Vince refused, and Angle said he quit. Angle shot back with that he had a big money offer from PRIDE, and Vince said "Fine, take it. Go."

Said he was Vince's top draw. Commended Cena and Shawn, but said he was the best wrestler and people came to see him wrestle.

Second Hour

Expects a very physical match with Joe. Says he and Joe have been treating it as a shoot. Says the match won't be pretty but it will be great.

Says the eight guys who failed the tests had scripts from a surgeon/doctor , but his was from a pain doctor(?), so theirs was legally ok.

Says if you pick the ten greatest matches in WWE history, he'll be part of all ten.

Says Joe is tough and that it'll be a challenge to keep up with him.

Talked about giving advice in ECW and TNA. Says he was an agent in ECW, and that when he gave advice to someone in ECW they complained to someone about it, saying Kurt had only been in the business for six years when they'd been in it for fourteen. Dixie and Jeff Jarrett told Kurt to teach the TNA wrestlers the things he knows but they don't. Kurt said he studied wrestling tape from the 70s which is why he has more wrestling. Says the WWE wrestlers wouldn't even tie up, and it'd be chop and punch.

Says he's in TNA to not just be a wrestler but an agent. He likes advising the wrestlers and doing the agent stuff. Tells wrestlers to do what they do well and stay away from what they don't do well.

Says the six-sided ring has less dead time, as there isn't much time from when you throw someone into the ropes and when they bound back. Says it requires more improvisation, and he picked that skill up from Patterson, Ace, Briscoe, etc.

Kurt says he is 100%. His arms grew two and half inches, his groin is fine and he's fine.

Says the match he tore his groin in against Van Dam was one of RVD's best ever, and the fans gave him a ten minute standing ovation. Kurt told the agents how injured he was and was told he was going to the next ECW house show and he decided there and then to quit. The next time he saw Vince, he pulled his pants down and he was all black and blue from where he was badly injured.

Kurt says he has plans to go to Japan and MMA. He's all for it and so is Dixie, but that Dixie wants him healthy for it. They're still working the details out if it. Kurt says he expects to have 1-3 MMA matches.

Says the prime-time TNA show is the best TNA show ever. Says the AJ Styles match is awesome and must-see.

Says PRIDE offered him three fights at $1m a fight plus $3m in endorsements.

Says UFC offered one fight for $10.4 million. Would have been in Season 5 of TUF and in the crowd for future seasons.

Says Dixie Carter will sit in the stands and watch the show which he's never seen before out of the owner of the company.

Says Dixie won't let anyone wrestler who is injured and they will work around it.

Says TNA blows WWE's talent away. They just need a little more guidance, and that nobody knows their names. TNA will get there. Says he can have ***** matches with so many of their wrestlers. Says he can't say the same about WWE wrestlers, about 90% of them. Calls TNA the best kept secret in the world and has wanted to join them for two years.

Says TNA has comparable production to WWE, sometimes better. Says Dave Sahadi is the best production guy in the business.

Says Dixie had him take three physicals from three different doctorss. Had him drug tested once that knew about ahead of time and then another surprise one.

Wants/expects Spike to offer a two-hour slot within three months.

Bryan asked Kurt if he is too driven that he'll not be able to ask for time off when he needs it. Kurt says he'll have trouble saying he needs time off and he might even lie/have trouble lying to Dixie about needing time off.

Kurt said his goal is the run the show(?) and take it to Vince and tell him he saw what he did right and wrong.

Kurt said he's been in the ring in so much pain he's been taking pains up the wazoo. Said he wanted to go to rehab but was told he couldn't and he had to rehab himself through prayer and such. Said he won't do that to himself again.

Says if he has minor injuries he'll lie to Dixie and say he's fine but if it's major he'll come clean.

Kurt says he is clean but when the time comes he'll leave his boots in the ring and walk away. Says he's not afraid of letting go of the fame. Says he can do other stuff, like running the show.

Says Vince was too eager to get on Sci-Fi with more product.

Says 65% of WWE talented are worried they're going to get fired and the other 35% are unhappy anyway.

Says Vince is reaching too much and with three promotions there is only so much you can do. Said Vince is abusing the talent, and refered to driving 3, 4, 8 and then 3 hours for consecutive shows.

Says WWE have spread themselves too thin and TNA are now the best show on TV. Said that Raw was well written, though.

Criticised some of the stuff on Raw that you don't want your kids watching and that a lot of the WWE's audience is kids, and that WWE has been irresponsible.

Says someone in the Kurt-Angle-Steph triangle didn't want it to continue and that that same person said Kurt shouldn't/couldn't be champion. When someone, maybe Kurt, said what would happen in this person and Kurt had shoot match the persion knocking Kurt put his head down and Vince said Kurt was going to be champion.

Says he wants to be the top star in TNA but if someone comes along and can get bigger than Kurt he'll step aside and let them get big because that'll mean he can make more money.

A caller got cut off and things broke down. Was asked about the When Harry Met Sally spoof with Christy Hemme and if Kurt would do that sort of thing in TNA. Kurt said he wanted to do comedy. Said Spike is writing up stuff for him to do in both TV and movies.

A caller asked about angles Kurt shot down and if the main mentality in TNA is all about beating Vince

Dave thinks the mentality is about getting the word out about TNA because so few people know.

Kurt came back on and said he'd go back to be accepted into the WWE HoF. Says he wasn't keen on the Booker T-Sharmell angle talking about bestiality.

Kurt finishes off by saying he and Samoa Joe will be MOTY.

Angle has an ego about as his big as anyone I've seen in a business crawling with massive ego's.

If he keeps this up, he'll make Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels look humble

Ugh, tell me about it.

Says if you pick the ten greatest matches in WWE history, he'll be part of all ten.

Surely this is just part of his gimmick.

I know this isn't anything new, but boy does he go overboard with the praising of Dixie. It wont be long before rumors start up about him screwing around with her if he keeps this kind of talk up.

Says UFC offered one fight for $10.4 million. Would have been in Season 5 of TUF and in the crowd for future seasons.

Damn, it'd be nice to see them revive TUF3 with Angle and Puder as coaches.

Even if Puder was on the same level as the guys he coached.

Didn't TNA pull Angle from this the other day?

It's becoming very hard to follow Kurt's "I was on them / I've been clean for years" statements about painkillers.

I'm also not sure what his involvement in Owen vs. Bret from WrestleMania X or Savage vs Steamboat from WrestleMania III was, but I guess that's a subjective "top 10" list.

Guest Coffey
I'm also not sure what his involvement in Owen vs. Bret from WrestleMania X or Savage vs Steamboat from WrestleMania III was, but I guess that's a subjective "top 10" list.

...or Hart/Austin, or HBK/Razor from X, etc.

I mean, Angle def. had his fair share of great matches. W/ Benoit, Austin, Mysterio, Edge, some Smackdown tags, Brock, etc...but he's delusional if he really believes that.

i know angle is saying all this to generate pub for tna, but he's really losing tons of credibility. attacking vince doesn't mean anything, everyone already knows he's a piece of shit.

...or Hart/Austin, or HBK/Razor from X, etc.

I mean, Angle def. had his fair share of great matches. W/ Benoit, Austin, Mysterio, Edge, some Smackdown tags, Brock, etc...but he's delusional if he really believes that.

Michaels/Razor wouldn't make my top 20...

WWE so needs to hire back Eric Angle and have him be there version of Kurt. This man is reaching Vince levels in his ego.

I dont mind the ego thing as it wouldntve worked if he said: "Hi im old and washed up and work for a new company called TNA, it's a play on words, and its a bunch of old and washed up guys and guys you've never heard of." The whole credibility thing isnt relevant since everyone lies in wrestling anyway.

The stuff he said about his last years with the company makes sense and he was speaking pretty truthfully about it.

I knew someone was gonna ask about angles he didnt like and I knew he was gonna mention Sharmell and that beastiality crap. Hilarious. Is Vince the one that was on painkillers?

I have to know who the ELITE EIGHT are that also failed the drug tests.

I think it would honestly be hard to decide who's the most egotistical wrestler/promoter.

1. Vince McMahon

2. Everybody that has every worked for him

3. Any promoter that made himself or son the champion of the company

What was funny was they were playing the music to signal a commercial break for about five minutes before Dave wrapped the segment up.

Ya I noticed that too.

Didn't TNA pull Angle from this the other day?

Yes they did, but then they had second thoughts. TNA's "media" department is so disorganized you can't expect them to be able to follow through with interview agreements and such; that type of stuff changes on the drop of a dime. Basically, the person who manages the "department" changes every single week.

All in all, I'm happy he made it to the show, and I'm also happy Dave just let him speak most of the time without interrupting him. You gotta take the good with the bad. Of course he's gonna put himself over and exaggerate some stuff, but all in all it was a very entertaining interview.

At the end of the day...you can't be as good as Angle is without developing an ego.

Who is better?

HBK? Really?

Benoit? Maybe years ago.

Guerrero? Dead.

Joe? Maybe. ...Not in WWE BTW...

Ego comes with the spot. He just is that good.