TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Discussion Forumtable

Should someone be fired? Maybe.. if those same people get something good in return of a Carr trade.. maybe no.

I would be very surprised if they get much of anything for Carr in a trade. What incentive do teams have to trade anything of value for him, knowing that the Texans will have to dump him now?

Knowing the Texans, they'll just release him and get nothing for him.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Vikings trade for Carr. They're the only team that I look at and say "wow, they really don't have a decent starter or backup", and don't have a pick high enough to fix it. Sorry that I'm not sold on Jackson, but even with him, they still need another QB.

The no.1 draft pick contract he has is what will probably keep them from getting any more than a 6th rounder, maybe a 5th to stretch it. He would be a pricey QB to bring in for some competition.

Should someone be fired? Maybe.. if those same people get something good in return of a Carr trade.. maybe no.

I would be very surprised if they get much of anything for Carr in a trade. What incentive do teams have to trade anything of value for him, knowing that the Texans will have to dump him now?

Please don't fuckin say that. I would like to think that the Texans organization would be a bit smarter than to just let him go.

What could they get for him? I don't know.. I mean there are people who've said that David could be good behind a solid line.. that he does have the capabilities to read defenses and that under the right system, he'd be an improvement over what some teams have. What would we get? I don't know.. anything first round is more than likely out .. but 2nd or middle rounds could be a possibility with Houston using them to solidify a few positions.

Ripper, since you're the Falcons fan here, what will they do with the Texans pick in the first round?

There really is no telling.

I mean they might package the picks and try to trade up and get Calvin Johnson(dumb), take the best and biggest offensive lineman available or go for the strong safety position after watching Chris Crocker give up like a thousand big plays last year. I know they were looking at Laron Landry, but he was there for the taking at 10.

The major holes they have is either at the Corner or the saftey (Jimmy Williams is solid at both, but I think they should play him at SS and get another corner) and the fact that Petrino wants to have a real line and not the group of zone blocking little guys that were there before. But seeing how after Joe Thomas the next best lineman is probably Levi Brown (who you don't draft at number 8) and they could have gotten Laron Landry at the 10 spot anyway (saying why wouldn't they trade for a 2nd and another pick instead of swapping picks and moving up 2 spots) I think they might be packaging the picks for something.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Vikings trade for Carr. They're the only team that I look at and say "wow, they really don't have a decent starter or backup", and don't have a pick high enough to fix it. Sorry that I'm not sold on Jackson, but even with him, they still need another QB.

Aren't the Vikings kinda sold on him though?

Jackson is the type of QB that everytime you will be ready to bench him, he will pass for 300+ yards and remind you of that cannon he has and make you hold it off for a few weeks.

Looking through a few mock drafts Landry at 10 might be cutting it close (except for Clark Judge who somehow had him at 22). At the very least it gives them a little more security if they can't make a bigger move for Thomas.

It would be really hard to bail on Jackson already considering they used a 2nd on him last year. Maybe if Quinn falls into their lap they bite, but I can't see it for Carr.

I guess they are, but I'm not sold on him. From what I saw of him last year, he didn't look ready yet. But then again, neither did Steve McNair (and looking at everything, Jackson and McNair are way comparable) during his rookie year, with that 51% completion percentage. I don't really know why Minnesota wants to go that direction when they aren't too far off from being a playoff team, but that's why their management is up there, and I'm down here. I think that they know they still need to get a backup, at least.

I guess they are, but I'm not sold on him. From what I saw of him last year, he didn't look ready yet. But then again, neither did Steve McNair (and looking at everything, Jackson and McNair are way comparable) during his rookie year, with that 51% completion percentage. I don't really know why Minnesota wants to go that direction when they aren't too far off from being a playoff team, but that's why their management is up there, and I'm down here. I think that they know they still need to get a backup, at least.

Oh I personally don't think he is ready either, but I think they are just going to go with trial by fire with him. I would trust his judgement though. He went to Alabama St. and didn't leave with AIDS. That speaks volumes for the kids ability to make the right decision.

Ripper : Kinda joking....Kinda.

Ripper, since you're the Falcons fan here, what will they do with the Texans pick in the first round?

Hey Yo. Don't forget the other guy from the ATL here. I'll be at the NFL Draft with my#21 Jersey. Come on Falcons, trade up for the hometown boy!

The writer from NFL.com who broke the Schaub trade story was on the Dan Patrick Show this afternoon. He said that the Texans are trying their hardest to move Carr but have received literally zero interest. In trading for Schaub they've handcuffed themselves because of the $6.75 million that Carr is set to make this year. Every team now knows that the Texans can't afford to pay that to him to sit on the bench. Why would you trade picks and/or talent for Carr when you can get him for nothing in a couple of weeks? Bad planning on Houston's part.

Well, it depends. If you are SURE you want him and you don't want anyone to take him, then you offer something, even it's a low rounder.

The writer from NFL.com who broke the Schaub trade story was on the Dan Patrick Show this afternoon. He said that the Texans are trying their hardest to move Carr but have received literally zero interest. In trading for Schaub they've handcuffed themselves because of the $6.75 million that Carr is set to make this year. Every team now knows that the Texans can't afford to pay that to him to sit on the bench. Why would you trade picks and/or talent for Carr when you can get him for nothing in a couple of weeks? Bad planning on Houston's part.

That would imply there was planning put into this decision. Everything about this looks like they panicked when Jake told everyone he was really done with football. So the jumped the first hype train to Atlanta, got mugged on the ride back with the barely proven but lots of potential Schuab, and then realized, "Oh shit, we forgot to deal Carr first!"

I think they'll move him on draft day, probably for a fourth or fifth rounder at best. Unless they can get in touch with Matt Millen, he might be stupid enough to give them the Lions first round pick for Carr.

Guest Vitamin X

Smart move by the Falcons, idiot move by the Texans, great shot for Green Bay.

Apparently the rumor mill is lurching that a Moss to Green Bay deal isn't done yet, nor anywhere close supposedly, which has to make some cheeseheads feel a lot better. When the rumors started breaking out, supposedly Ted Thompson's office was FLOODED with phone calls and emails about half begging them not to do the deal and the other half saying it'd be a good idea. Seems to be the same way with the Packer fans here as well. But, anyways, the point I'm making here in regards to the discussion above is, ever since I heard that the Texans were thinking about getting rid of Carr a couple months ago, I thought this was going to fall perfectly into place for Green Bay. By trading for Schaub, now the Packers don't even have to have to give up any players or draft picks (which Thompson definitely would never do), and since they only make a couple free agent acquisitions since Thompson started, one or two of which might be big ones, this would be the big one, as there's really noone else out there that would be worth signing for the Pack. Any of the remaining players really aren't worth giving up a lot of money for.

So, from my point of view, the best possible thing Packers management could do is sign Carr once he's released, trade Rodgers and maybe KGB to Oakland for Moss (Rodgers becomes expendable with Carr on the team, and KGB is thrown in to add a little bit of value and to match contracts), while picking up a decent DE in the draft or free agency. If they have the money, they can try and get Seahawks FS Ken Hamlin, although it seems that the Cowboys might be picking him up soon.

He'd be a one-season understudy for arguably the greatest quarterback ever with a practically guranteed starting/leader role from '08 on with what could/should/will be a far better team than either you just mentioned.

I don't think Miami's in the business of signing Carr. They want to cover the market on washed-up QB's like Trent Green and Culpepper.

But yeah, Carr is far enough along in his career that he won't want to take an "understudy" job. He's going to go somewhere that will allow him to battle for the starting job. I'd have serious questions about Carr's future in the league if he felt any differently.

He'd be a one-season understudy for arguably the greatest quarterback ever with a practically guranteed starting/leader role from '08 on with what could/should/will be a far better team than either you just mentioned.

Ask Aaron Rodgers how that scenario turned out.

The GB O-line is already far better than either Houston or Oakland and could be among the the NFL as early as this year.

Guest Vitamin X

Ask Aaron Rodgers how that scenario turned out.

Aaron Rodgers was an idiot draft pick during an idiot coaching regime. Look up the draft thread years back. I told everyone on here as well as everywhere else that while Rodgers wasn't going to be a bad player or anything, they had needs at so many other positions than to waste a first round draft pick on him. Everyone thought Favre was going to retire after that season. No, I said, he has about three years left in him. And, if he retires after this season, I'll be right. Rodgers was signed to a five year contract, the last two of which are optioned, so this is basically Rodgers' year to get out and find another team or to see if management wants to keep him around for the long haul. Yes, Carr is about 4 years older than Rodgers. He's 28 this year as opposed to 24.

But, he's not ready to take a starting job anywhere else around the league. Spiff, the Dolphins are looking into getting Trent Green. Almost every other team in the league has a quarterback they want to try out and see where they go with them, or an established starter. Let's think real hard, shall we? We'll play "Where can David Carr go?"

AFC West- Denver: Jay Cutler, they want to see where they go with him. San Diego: Philip Rivers, no doubt. Oakland: Possibility, but they have a #1 draft pick and can acquire a QB in trade for Moss. Such as Rodgers, which is my scenario listed above. Kansas City: This would be a good option for Carr, if only they had the cap room for it.

NFC West- Seahawks: Set with Hasselbeck, might acquire a QB in the draft to understudy. 49ers: Set with Alex Smith, who showed promise last year. Rams: Have been set with Marc Bulger for quite some time now, can't see them going with anyone else. Cardinals: Leinart.

NFC North- Green Bay: Good salary cap room, Favre won't stick around after this year. When even I'm saying this, it's got to be a good possibility. And what about if the unthinkable happens and Favre's ironman streak is broken? Carr could get a chance to play this year, and prove himself as the long-term QB for the franchise even in his later 20's. The comparison I'm trying to think of here is Joe Montana and Steve Young. Good enoguh salary cap room, and the Pack ant to dump Rodgers if they can get something better and obviously more proven. Minnesota: Has drank the kool-aid with Jackson, they want to see where they can go with him. Detroit: More than likely acquiring a QB in the draft, or might just stick with another year of Jon Kitna. They also seem to have a hard-on for Dan Orlovsky for some reason. Also, Detroit's offensive line won't be good enough to be much of an upgrade from Houston, for Carr to want to go there. Chicago: LOL Rex Grossman.

AFC North- Pittsburgh: Despite Ben's down year, they'll stick with him. Cincinatti: Has arguably the best QB in the league in Palmer. And young, too. Baltimore: They're okay with McNair for now, I believe, but they'll probably want to stick someone younger behind them. Between Boller and McNair, I think it would be too much to pay a third QB too much. Cleveland: Want to try out Charlie Frye.

NFC South- Atlanta: With the trade of Matt Schaub, they've appeased star QB Michael Vick and made him feel comfortable with his starting position. That's a show of faith by Falcons management to make sure he wouldn't start demanding trades. New Orleans: Set with Brees. Carolina Panthers: They've got Delhomme, but I think they might be questioning for how much longer. He's 32 this year, and while that isn't old unless you're Brett Favre and you're getting asked if you're going to retire anytime soon everyday from that birthday on, I thought I heard rumblings that the Panthers were interested in other alternatives, thinking they could do better with someone else at QB. I don't know why, since Delhomme's done what he can with what he has and a lack of a consistent running game, but this year might be a proving year for Jake. I don't think they could go for Carr, since he's only about 4 years younger than Delhomme and shellshocked. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Now here's a decent option as well. While it seems that Chris Simms and Gradkowski are the guys that Gruden wants to move ahead with, Carr would be a good option to start for them. The key here is, how much faith they put into Simms and Gradkowski.

AFC South- Indianapolis Colts: Duh. Tennessee Titans: Also, kind of a duh. Rookie of the year who somehow willed this team to 8-8? I think they're okay with Vince Young for now. Texans: We were just talking about this. They've got Schaub now, so Carr is expendable. Jaguars: Is this team set with Byron Leftwich and David Garrard? I think they'd be well off with a guy like David Carr. I don't how their offensive line is though, but again, same argument as the Ravens in that they've got salaries tied up between two players they're seriously looking at, and that have been in their system for a while. Why bring in a third to compete for a starting position?

NFC East- Philadelphia Eagles: They SHOULD be set with McNabb, but I wouldn't put it past Philly to bid highly on Carr as insurance, similar to them acquiring Garcia last season. Cowboys: Is Tony Romo the answer? I'd say that sounds like more of a question. But, they look like they're going to stick it out with him. Giants: Eli is still developing.. right? Redskins: Look like they're moving forward with Jason Campbell.

AFC East- Buffalo Bills: I think this season is supposed to be Losman's last hope. Barring that, they might go for a steal later in the draft this year, which would be a good idea. Carr doesn't fit in. New England Patriots: Duh. Miami Dolphins: This would warrant some consideration, but with their high pick this year as well as going after Trent Green, not to mention they already have a big contract with Culpepper, I doubt they'll want to also pursue Carr as another option. New York Jets: Similar to the Eagles, I think that while they're set with Pennington, I wouldn't put it past them to attempt to get in a bidding war and putting Carr as insurance.

Now the best option for David Carr, after examining all 32 teams, would probably be Green Bay or Kansas City. I think these are the only two teams that could realistically offer him not only a place to start in the near future, but also a decent offense and long-term stability with the franchise. Any other team with questions has other options which are better for them. Like I mentioned, Carr's not exactly young, but not particularly old, either. He's too old to fill an "understudy" type role for more than one season, and say backing-up/replacing a starter in his early 30's, and too young and like I said, "shellshocked" from his days in Houston to maybe take over another team in an unfamiliar system right away. While that might seem like something of a joke, the menace of constantly being on the run from defensive linemen and being constantly hit without even being able to think of where to throw the damn ball, will wreck on a young quarterback's psyche, which might also be a big risk in acquiring him. I think, however, the reward far outweighs that.

Considering that Khalif Barnes doesn't want to play in Jacksonville, our O-line looks like complete shit (and it did before he made that decision), to be honest. We need Garrard's mobility at QB, because otherwise Leftwich is going to get ruined.

Do not want Carr.

Guest Vitamin X

It's too bad we don't have any Chiefs fans on the board that could give me some insight as to their situation.

No chance on the Eagles. AJ Feeley is the backup. The coach likes him, he can run the system, and the talk is that when they brought him back he was promised the backup job from this season on.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Now here's a decent option as well. While it seems that Chris Simms and Gradkowski are the guys that Gruden wants to move ahead with, Carr would be a good option to start for them. The key here is, how much faith they put into Simms and Gradkowski.

Tampa has Jeff Garcia too, and the rights to Jake Plummer. Carr doesn't make any sense there.

Besides Green Bay and KC, I think Carr could work in Cleveland. Charlie Frye sucks, and they have no depth at all behind him (Derek Anderson might have been the worst QB to start last year). If they choose not to draft Russell or Quinn then Cleveland is a pretty good spot for Carr.

The Falcons picking up Adrian Peterson at #8 would be the end of the road for Warrick Dunn, which is too bad...he seemed like a solid character guy. With the 8th pick and Houston's second rounder, Atlanta could easily move up to pick 4, and grab Joe Thomas or Calvin Johnson if either drops. If Johnson, Thomas, and Peterson are all off the board at 8, they should still be able to take a stud end like Gaines Adams to replace Patrick Kerney or grab some secondary help with Laron Landry. Nice move they've made, provides for a ton of draft-day flexibility.

The Falcons picking up Adrian Peterson at #8 would be the end of the road for Warrick Dunn, which is too bad...he seemed like a solid character guy. With the 8th pick and Houston's second rounder, Atlanta could easily move up to pick 4, and grab Joe Thomas or Calvin Johnson if either drops. If Johnson, Thomas, and Peterson are all off the board at 8, they should still be able to take a stud end like Gaines Adams to replace Patrick Kerney or grab some secondary help with Laron Landry. Nice move they've made, provides for a ton of draft-day flexibility.

Adrian Peterson doesn't give the Falcons anything they couldn't get from Jervious Norwood. Without that nasty "injury prone" tag. If the Falcons really want to replace Dunn they need to get a banger, not a sometimes banger, sometimes outside runner (once again, that is what Norwood is). I would rather them move up and go after Joe Thomas.

Personally I would rather them keep both picks, get Landry if he is there at 8, and grab a offensive lineman at 38. Move Jimmy Williams to the starting lineup as the corner opposite Deangelo Hall, Webster as the nickel back, start Landry along with Lawyer Milloy and you have a pretty decent secondary.

What they should look into doing now is moving Keith Brooking for a MLB that is actually good and not a overrated "Somehow he made the pro bowl" player.

The Falcons should use that 2nd from the trade on Michael Bush. That's one big ass dude, that would be best used as a power back.