TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Discussion Forumtable

Guest Vitamin X
I'm really interested to see what happens with Matt Schaub in the off-season, especially now that Mora is out in Atlanta. I've been following Schaub since he left UVA, and he's basically just sat there biding his time for three years, getting a handful of meaningless/Vick's hurt starts. The Falcons have too much money sunk into Vick to move away from him, but they also have too much value in Schaub to hold onto him again. I think he's ready to start, and wouldn't be surprised to see someone like the Browns or Vikings--someone with a decent (in theory in the case of the Browns) o-line already--make a very strong push to sign him rather than going rookie QB.

Maybe even Green Bay if Favre does indeed retire. The Pack isn't incredibly impressed with Aaron Rodgers, though he seems like he might be good enough. Schaub would be a good insurance policy, especially since he's already familiar with Jeff Jagodzinski, Green Bay's offensive coordinator who was the offensive line coach for Atlanta before this season.

Well first of all, it doesn't work like that, and second of all, it's a mite late for that. The new coach is obviously going to just let Vick do whatever he wants instead of trying to mold him into something he's not. All things considered, that makes a lot of sense, but it is indicative of professional sport's topsy-turvy chain of command.

Yep, which is part of the problem.

That's why someone like Saban only agrees to take on a head-coach position if they also have significant say over the players under them, even if they aren't a full GM.

If Arthur Blank wants to win, he needs to have a coach come in with a definite plan and the ability to move his player around to get that done, much like Sean Payton has in New Orleans.

Payton came in and weeded out roughly 27 players from last year's roster, some of them leaving via free agency and not being re-signed (LeCharles Bentley, Darren Howard), others being cut for not meeting his standards, and more being traded because he could make due with others at their position (Donte Stallworth).

Payton was able to take a team that pretty much had Deuce, Jammal Brown, Joe Horn, Mike McKenzie, Will Smith, and Charles Grant and turn it into the #2 team in the NFC.

(I don't put Devery Henderson, Mike Karney, or others in here because they weren't stars last year, despite being on the roster.)

If Atlanta was able to do that by evaluating what they want to do with Vick, picking over their defense, etc., then they may be competitive next year.

I'm really interested to see what happens with Matt Schaub in the off-season, especially now that Mora is out in Atlanta. I've been following Schaub since he left UVA, and he's basically just sat there biding his time for three years, getting a handful of meaningless/Vick's hurt starts. The Falcons have too much money sunk into Vick to move away from him, but they also have too much value in Schaub to hold onto him again. I think he's ready to start, and wouldn't be surprised to see someone like the Browns or Vikings--someone with a decent (in theory in the case of the Browns) o-line already--make a very strong push to sign him rather than going rookie QB.

Maybe even Green Bay if Favre does indeed retire. The Pack isn't incredibly impressed with Aaron Rodgers, though he seems like he might be good enough. Schaub would be a good insurance policy, especially since he's already familiar with Jeff Jagodzinski, Green Bay's offensive coordinator who was the offensive line coach for Atlanta before this season.

Jagodzinski is on his way to Boston College to become their head coach.

I don't think Saban will take it and I think Alabama is going to get completely soaked by whoever DOES take the position because these terms are being leaked.

I don't think Saban will take it and I think Alabama is going to get completely soaked by whoever DOES take the position because these terms are being leaked.

Just wait for Coughlin to take the gig.

Just wait for Coughlin to take the gig.

That's a f*ckin' set right there...

The Alabama Board of Trustees and Coughlin deserve each other.

Guest Princess Leena

Rumors are that Alabama has their "2nd choice" lined up for the job, but are waiting to see what Saban will do. I can't think Saban takes it. He's one of the rare coaches who could literally go anywhere he wants, at least in the college ranks. It would take a miracle for him to be happy there, and knowing Saban, he'll probably leave in 2-3 years anyway.

Atlanta has to either play Schaub, or trade him now and hope for the best with Mexico. They've kept him on the sidelines far too long.

Associated question:

Should "Mexico 3:16" stand for "I just gave you herpes!" or "I just got my coach canned!"?

Rumors are that Alabama has their "2nd choice" lined up for the job, but are waiting to see what Saban will do. I can't think Saban takes it. He's one of the rare coaches who could literally go anywhere he wants, at least in the college ranks. It would take a miracle for him to be happy there, and knowing Saban, he'll probably leave in 2-3 years anyway.

Yeah. Saban appears to love money just like everybody else, but loves control and freedom to go wherever he wants even more. I also can't see him really gelling with the insane Alabama board and the boosters who think they deserve to decide the direction of the team.

I say split head duties between Coughlin and Dennis Green. The state of Alabama will vaporize itself within a season's time, once its residents figure out what vaporize means.

Pittsburgh would need a big name coach considering they've had a whopping two head coaches in the last 38 years.

Cowher is an overrated underperformer (12-9 in the playoffs, lost 4 AFC Championship games AT HOME), who lucked into a Super Bowl at the tail end of his career largely thanks to some horrible officiating. He's Tony Dungy with a ring.

12-9 in the playoffs is suddenly a bad record? Dungy is under .500 as is Schottenheimer. Pittsburgh has rebuilt their team like four times and have never seemed to miss the playoffs for more than one year at a time under Cowher. Dungy the "defensive mastermind" is in control of one of the worst defenses of all time in Indy. Horrible, horrible comparison. Chin is one of the best coaches in the NFL. I would rank him, Gruden and Bellichick in the top 3.

They have two in house replacements who are hot head coaching candidates in Whisenhunt and Grimm. I highly doubt that they wouldn't hire one of these two guys should Cowher step down

"The Chin" was under .500 before last year's run. If Dungy wins a SB this year he'd be just as overrated as Cowher. It's an apt comparison. You currently ranking Gruden as a top 3 coach ends your credibility.

The points you try to make are incredibly retarded. "Before Cowher won a Super Bowl" - Well, he did win a Super Bowl. Maybe you think you should take that into account when ranking him as a head coach. The only knock on Cowher before he won the Super Bowl was that his teams would choke in the big games. His teams are consistantly well-coached and consistantly overachieve. His team won three playoff games on the road after falling to 10-6 due to injuries and won the Super Bowl. We'll talk about "if Dungy wins a Super Bowl" if he ever does. He won't though, I think he's a bad coach and his speed-orientated defenses have consistantly disappointed in recent years.

And if Gruden isn't a top 3 coach then who is?

I'd go with The Tuna, Bill Parcells, as #3, although Joe Gibbs would be arguable if you go by the lifetime record and not his last few years.

The game has passed Parcells by. Gibbs hasn't been doing too well since he returned either. I love Jeff Fisher but until he wins a Super Bowl, you can't rank him ahead of Gruden.

Gruden was an average/above-average coach at Oakland, owes royalties to Tony Dungy for winning a SB with his players, and has ridden that SB win to a 25-37 coaching record.

Gruden was an average/above-average coach at Oakland, owes royalties to Tony Dungy for winning a SB with his players, and has ridden that SB win to a 25-37 coaching record.

Exactly. Billick won a title as well and has a better overall record, but he gets ignored for Gruden who had a history of coming up short with Oakland, took Dungy's team and beat his former team and been below average since losing many of those Dungy players.

2007 Team Schedules (minus dates and times..)

Baltimore Ravens

Home AFC North 3 games, New England, N.Y. Jets, Arizona, St. Louis, Indianapolis

Away AFC North 3 games, Buffalo, Miami, San Francisco, Seattle, San Diego

NE and Indy at home, Seattle and SD on the Road. Much tougher schedule than this year which would be expected for winning the division.

Houston Texans

Home Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Denver, Kansas City, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Miami

Away Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Oakland, San Diego, Atlanta, Carolina, Cleveland

Why are we AT Oakland again next season? Ugh...

I think we can go 7-9 or MAYBE 8-8 next season with this schedule...however we do get Reggie Bush in the annual "What the fuck were the Texans thinking at the 06 Draft" game at home again.

New York Jets

Home: Buffalo, Miami, New England, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington, Kansas City

Away: Buffalo, Miami, New England, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Dallas, NY Giants (ha), Tennessee

Decidedly tougher than this season, but by no means overwhelmingly difficult. I'm definitely looking forward to the reception Herm Edwards gets at the Meadowlands and seeing how the crowd will be split at the Jets/Giants game.

Tennessee

Home- Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Oakland, San Diego, Atlanta, Carolina, N.Y. Jets

Away- Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Denver, Kansas City, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Cincinnati

Not the easiest of schedules getting the AFC West (San Diego's a sure loss, and having to play @ Mile High and Arrowhead will be difficult), but if they can go 4-2 in the division again plus wins vs Oakland, Atlanta, Carolina and @ Tampa would get them back to 8-8. New York, New Orleans and Cincinnati are potentially winnable as well so if the team continues to develop and Vince Young can keep pulling wins out of his ass a good season is a definite possibility. As long as they don't start 0-5 again anyway.

Guest Vitamin X

Green Bay Packers

Home Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Washington, Oakland, San Diego, Carolina

Away Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis

The NFC East and the AFC West? Thrilling!

San Diego is a sure loss, but how great we get Philly at home this time. Philly might as well play in Green Bay's division, though I don't know the last time Green Bay actually won. 2001, I think? In an ugly 6-3 thriller.

Yeesh, back to Dallas & the St Louis dome.

I think they can get 9 or 10 wins. Brett should come back for one last very possible plaoff run.

2007 Team Schedules (minus dates and times..)

Baltimore Ravens

Home AFC North 3 games, New England, N.Y. Jets, Arizona, St. Louis, Indianapolis

Away AFC North 3 games, Buffalo, Miami, San Francisco, Seattle, San Diego

NE and Indy at home, Seattle and SD on the Road. Much tougher schedule than this year which would be expected for winning the division.

Pats are coming to Baltimore? When do the tickets for Ravens games go on sale, cause last time I saw them play was the Vinny vs Bledsoe shootout game.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

So the Bears are looking at :

Home: Detroit, Green Bay, Minnesota, Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Denver, Kansas City, New Orleans

Away: Detroit, Green Bay, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Washington, Oakland, San Diego, Seattle

Probably a little harder than this year. Better figure shit out at quarterback and retain Lance Briggs.

Green Bay has a legit chance at the divisional title next year. If Favre returns or the new guy (whoever it is) pans out quick.

Houston Texans

Home Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Denver, Kansas City, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Miami

Away Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Oakland, San Diego, Atlanta, Carolina, Cleveland

Why are we AT Oakland again next season? Ugh...

I think we can go 7-9 or MAYBE 8-8 next season with this schedule...however we do get Reggie Bush in the annual "What the fuck were the Texans thinking at the 06 Draft" game at home again.

It just wouldn't be a Houston Texans season if we weren't stuck playing Cleveland again. What is this, the fourth year in a row?

Seattle Seahawks

Home Arizona, San Francisco, St. Louis, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Chicago

Away Arizona, San Francisco, St. Louis, Atlanta, Carolina, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia

Ouch.

Guest Legalise Drugs and Murder
So the Bears are looking at :

Home: Detroit, Green Bay, Minnesota, Dallas, N.Y. Giants, Denver, Kansas City, New Orleans

Away: Detroit, Green Bay, Minnesota, Philadelphia, Washington, Oakland, San Diego, Seattle

Probably a little harder than this year. Better figure shit out at quarterback and retain Lance Briggs.

I'm not too worried about Grossman. If he stinks next season I'll start. Briggs is crucial, and I'd like to add a young headhunter at SS with some size. The kind of guy that can move between LB and the secondary. Make it easier to add confusing blitz packages and weird matchups. Most everyone on their schedule is at least solid running team or a team with a younger QB. Rodgers, Jackson, Romo, Eli, Cutler, Campbell, whoeverthefuck Oakland Starts..

Exactly. Billick won a title as well and has a better overall record, but he gets ignored for Gruden who had a history of coming up short with Oakland, took Dungy's team and beat his former team and been below average since losing many of those Dungy players.

Fair enough. I've never been a Billick fan and like Gruden but a good case can be made for either guy. "Winning with Dungy's guys" is untrue though. What did Dungy do with "his" guys? Consistantly underachieve. Plus, Gruden retooled the offense into an upper echelon unit. The team has had injury troubles and have had to rebuild since they won the Super Bowl so I wouldn't hold that against Gruden. What I find suspect about Billick is how he was supposedly an offensive mind coming into Baltimore and the defense has carried the team to success.

Guest Vitamin X

Right, and the two defensive coordinators who worked under him, Marvin Lewis, and Mike Nolan, are doing great as head coaches elsewhere.

Who's Baltimore's defensive coordinator now?