TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Discussion Forumtable

I was thinking about it, and with Cowher leaving, Brian Billick is now the 3rd/4th longest tenured coach (along with Andy Reid, both started in 1999) behind Shanahan and Fisher (both started in 1996).

Also, in talking about the head coaches that were assistants under Billick (Marvin Lewis and Mike Nolan), I was reminded that Jack Del Rio was the Ravens Linebackers Coach from 1999-2001 and is now of course the Jaguars head coach.

I don't give a shit about the Ravens, but it's pretty fascinating to me how short NFL coaching lifespans have become, and that Billick of all people--who's never struck me as a particularly great coach with the way the Ravens just faded under his watch during several seasons--is one of the longest-tenured.

I don't give a shit about the Ravens, but it's pretty fascinating to me how short NFL coaching lifespans have become, and that Billick of all people--who's never struck me as a particularly great coach with the way the Ravens just faded under his watch during several seasons--is one of the longest-tenured.

Brian Billick History Lesson!

In his first year, the Ravens went 8-8 and the very next year they went 12-4 and won the Super Bowl. In 2001, despite losing Jamal Lewis and getting stuck with the greatness that is/was Elvis Grbac, the Ravens went back to the playoffs with a 10-6 record. The Ravens stunk in 2002 because of the mass exodus due to the Salary Cap (Sam Adams, Rod Woodson, Shannon Sharpe, Jamie Sharper, Jermaine Lewis, Qadry Ismail, Sam Gash and Duane Starks as well losing Tony Siragusa to retirement). They also had the youngest roster in NFL HISTORY, starting 19 first year players and still managed to finish 7-9 that year. If that doesn't say something about how good of a coach Billick is, that he can take the youngest roster in NFL HISTORY and pull a 7-9 record out of them with a legit shot at a playoff spot (lost last 2 games), then I have no idea what more proof you would need...maybe the fact that the next year the Ravens won the AFC North with a 10-6 record? In 2004 the Ravens were again 1 game short of the playoffs with a 9-7 record despite some key injuries. Last year the team got hit by a ton of injuries on the defense, and it stuck Billick with only his 2nd (and worst) losing season as the Ravens head coach at 6-10. Of course, it was followed it up by going 13-3 which would be his best season as a head coach and another playoff spot..

I dont know how much input Billick has in the drafting that GM Ozzie Newsome does, but Newsome has almost always drafted great players (exception to Kyle Boller, but they did get Suggs that year) which was the key in not having the salary cap purge hurt the franchise as much as it could have. Still, Billick is 80-55 (.600) as the Ravens Head Coach including a 5-2 Record in the playoffs and 1 Super Bowl win. Compare that to Andy Reid (88-53, no Super Bowl Title). Id bet more people would say Reid was the better coach of the two..and yet they are comparable record wise and Billick's won a Super Bowl.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

New topic. What's your favorite NFL Films song? Mine is "Round Up." No question.

Guest Smues
In his first year, the Ravens went 8-8 and the very next year they went 12-4 and won the Super Bowl. In 2001, despite losing Jamal Lewis and getting stuck with the greatness that is/was Elvis Grbac, the Ravens went back to the playoffs with a 10-6 record.

They didn't get stuck with him, they cut (or chose not to re-sign, I forget which) Trent Dilfer.

3 NFC, 3 AFC teams named possible 'hosts' in Europe

NEW YORK -- San Francisco, Seattle and Miami were among six NFL teams selected as potential home teams for a regular-season game next year in Britain or Germany.

The other teams that could "host" the game are Buffalo, Kansas City and New Orleans. The league also narrowed the sites for the game Monday, eliminating Canada and Mexico for this year.

Hell, why not make the Giants do this? They had an extra home game a season ago anyway.

In his first year, the Ravens went 8-8 and the very next year they went 12-4 and won the Super Bowl. In 2001, despite losing Jamal Lewis and getting stuck with the greatness that is/was Elvis Grbac, the Ravens went back to the playoffs with a 10-6 record.

They didn't get stuck with him, they cut (or chose not to re-sign, I forget which) Trent Dilfer.

They got stuck with him. Yeah, they should have kept Dilfer but they didnt. After a couple weeks it was obvious that Grbac was done as a QB in the NFL. When he got hurt and Cunningham came in and started 2 games that the Ravens won, they still went back to Grbac which pissed everyone off. I have no clue how they managed to make the playoffs that year AND win a road game in Miami but they did. Funny that Grbac retired after that year. Oddly enough, despite how much he sucked, He was the last Raven to pass for 3000 yards prior to McNair passing for 3050 yards this year.

And the NFL Films music on Madden 2007..I forget the names but they're pretty cool.

Falcons moved quick.

Cards, Raiduhs, Steelers & Miami still open...did I forget anybody? Giants should be hiring as well.

Guest Vitamin X

"Comeback", definitely. EPIC~

Besides, that's my favorite part of football. I haven't seen one I like for years, though. :(

The Dolphins will interview Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz later this week as part of their head-coaching search.

Most near the Lions believe Martz is staying but he's said publicly that he'll take a look at head jobs. The Dolphins will hold the interview in Detroit, signaling that this wasn't Martz's idea. His offense would suit the skills of Chris Chambers and Marty Booker, but we'd be interested to see Martz function with a big-name QB like Daunte Culpepper. Jan. 9 - 5:23 pm et

Source: Miami Herald

:headbang:

Sounds like the Giants may give Tommy Boy another year. So if Eli stinks, they can ship them both out at the same time and save the energy.

Conventional wisdom is saying if the Giants stay in house for the new GM, Coughlin is safe (Since he was Wellington Mara's personal choice), but if they go outside, then the new GM will bring in his own coach.

It seems as if Tommy is safe for now that Scott Pioli turned down the job, as it seemed he was their top candidate.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Lions finish ahead of Minnesota somehow next year. Vikings really mailed it in the last couple months.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

That's contingent on Martz's status with the Lions and who Minnesota puts in at quarterback, which is probably not going to be Brad Johnson nor Tarvaris Jackson. If Martz bails, which I think he probably will, the Lions are fucked.

Does MN still have Brooks Bollinger? Maybe he'll start. Jackson didn't look too promising.

I dont think the Lions would have a winning season even if they had Martz & the 1999 Rams lineup. Somehow, the Lions would find ways to lose.

Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

Green Bay looks promising for next year depending on who's at quarterback. If it's Favre, I'm looking over my shoulder. Rodgers, less so. Here's a question: are Packers fans frustrated that a once-in-a-lifetime talent like Brett Favre and his supporting casts only got one Super Bowl win, while Tom Brady and the Patriots blandly trudged to three of them? Or are you just happy with 1996? I wish the Ditka Bears had been a dynasty, but I guess the fact that it was one magical year with a colorful cast of characters is something special too. I'll take one year of the Super Bowl Shuffle over three years of "we pretend we're not respected" and "we enter as a team" and "we always win by a fucking field goal."