TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Discussion Forumtable

Are there really that many people beating the drum for Barber to get in? It seems to me that the pretty common opinion on him is that he needed 2 or 3 more years of his most recent performance to get in. Plus the lack of TDs really hurts IMO.

Dillon is one of those Hall of Very Good players, who gets hurt be being a part of those Bungles teams. I'd still put him ahead of Barber.

They are both going to get hurt by the other RBs that are going to be coming onto the ballot. Would you put either of those two in ahead of Marshall Faulk, Ricky Watters, Curtis Martin or Jerome Bettis (Bettis I think is overrated but with being 5th in rushing, being the lovable bus and the way his last season went, I don't think they will deny him the HOF)?

so apparently the Dolphins are just going to up and release Culpepper if/when Trent Green is aquired. I don't get the reasoning behind that one since they did spend a 2nd round pick on him and ACL injuries generally take 18-24 months to fully heal. You would think they would just throw him on the PUP list, let him fully heal, and then see if they can get anything out of him.

If released I wonder if he would consider Oakland. He and Randy Moss have not been the same since being split up. If Oakland had a healthy Daunte Culpepper, motivated Randy Moss and Jerry Porter along with Calvin Johnson then that offense would be stacked.

Cam Cameron and Trent Green have a relationship that dates back some 15 years to when Green was in college.....Cameron is installing the offense Green has run for his entire career. Also he hasn't really said it but he thinks Culpepper is to stupid to run his offense, because "he's a chuck and play on the fly type".

Also the HOF convo is moot because fuckin Derrick Thomas can't even get in...

so apparently the Dolphins are just going to up and release Culpepper if/when Trent Green is aquired.

If released I wonder if he would consider Oakland. He and Randy Moss have not been the same since being split up. If Oakland had a healthy Daunte Culpepper, motivated Randy Moss and Jerry Porter along with Calvin Johnson then that offense would be stacked.

And apparently I think the same as the Oakland Raiders front office which means I'll never ever in a million years have a job in an executive position with the NFL. Taken from rotoworld.com

ESPN's John Clayton reports the Raiders intend to draft Calvin Johnson with the No. 1 pick if the Dolphins acquire Trent Green from Kansas City.

Clayton's theory is that the whole top part of the draft depends on the future of Trent Green. If Green goes to Miami, Daunte Culpepper will be cut and Oakland would then sign him. Clayton says if a Green trade can't be worked out, the Raiders will be forced to draft JaMarcus Russell.

Guest Vitamin X

They say "forced to" like drafting LaMarcus Russell would be worse than having Daunte Culpepper as a starter. They're essentially the same quarterback.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I actually think he's going to do great. What killer pass rushers are in that division anyway? 90% of Oakland's problems last season were centered around the most abominable QB play imaginable. I'd like to find where I said it, but I remarked in a thread last season that Aaron Brooks was going to be a debacle, and that he's the worst NFL starting QB I've ever seen, period. I still stand by that. I'd take Kyle Orton over him in a starting position. I'd even take Kordell Stewart.

I actually think he's going to do great. What killer pass rushers are in that division anyway? 90% of Oakland's problems last season were centered around the most abominable QB play imaginable. I'd like to find where I said it, but I remarked in a thread last season that Aaron Brooks was going to be a debacle, and that he's the worst NFL starting QB I've ever seen, period. I still stand by that. I'd take Kyle Orton over him in a starting position. I'd even take Kordell Stewart.

Shawne Merriman?

I never said he was going to be bad, but that offensive line is atrocious and he may not have the time to get passes off before possibly getting lit up like a christmas tree. Yeah, the QB play last year was terrible, but you can't have your QBs being shook from the possibility of a linebacker coming in from the blind side and planting them into the field.

The Chargers have a pretty formidable rush and Denver and KC's defenses seem to be improving. The Raiders' problems are FAR more than just bad QB play; they can't run the ball, they can't block and they can't sustain drives. Getting Culpepper may work, but that's only if it's the Culpepper of 3-4 years ago throwing to the Randy Moss of 3-4 years ago.

The Chargers lead the league in sacks with 61. Their whole defense is built on rushing the QB.

some news tidbits via rotoworld

Patriots TE David Thomas broke his foot during the team's offseason program.

Damnit. He should be fully healthy come September but this will still set him back progress wise.

The Redskins and Bears have rekindled talks concerning Lance Briggs. The Washington Post says the likelihood of a deal is close to 50%.

That Bears defense with Landry in it would be filthy. This draft is deep at LBer so they could still grab somebody decent in the second round to help make-up for the loss of Briggs.

The NFL is considering adding a 17th regular season game to the schedule, in part to accommodate more games overseas.

The idea here would most likely include a full week of games overseas each season, with one fewer preseason game. The idea is only in its formative stages and could be a long way from being implemented.

A real dumb idea. Just reward teams more for sending over some higher level rookies to NFL Europe. Maybe a cap relief bonus or something. By higher level rookies I don't mean first round picks but whatever team drafts Drew Stanton could send him over, where he'd most likely light it up and fans from across seas where he played would be more inclined to ordering a cable package with the NFL Network so they could further watch him.

JaMarcus Russell says an NFL team was spying on his personal life over the last few weeks.

Russell said he suspected as much, but then his uncle received an anonymous tip from another NFL team official. Expect to hear more about this story in the next few days.

That is both weird and fucked up.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
I actually think he's going to do great. What killer pass rushers are in that division anyway?

Shawne Merriman?

Brainfart. Whoops. Ok, there's one.

My point is, even a servicable QB would be able to scramble to an open TE or checkdown to pick up a 3rd and 4. Brooks would panic and do something dumb, and Walters or whoever the fuck would just fumble the snap exchange.

An OL is impossible to fix in one season. If the Raiders take anyone but Russell they're idiots. They have the 33rd pick to snag a really good young lineman, or hey, how about Brian Leonard? He can block, run tough, catch...There's probably going to be better guys available that early, but versatility is at a premium when a team has little to work with.

I love reading the archives at profootballtalk, there's always some amaing (in retrospect) stories. Like this:

POSTED 3:20 p.m. EST, February 28, 2003 (FRIDAY)

CAROLINA TRYING TO MOVE UP?

One of our sources in Chicago tells us that the Bears and the Panthers are currently discussing the possibility of a trade that would enable the Panthers to move up to the four hole in the draft, enabling them to draft Marshall quarterback Byron Leftwich.

According to the source, the Panthers would ship receiver/returner Steve "I'll Slap You Upside the Head" Smith, the ninth overall pick, and a late round selection to the Bears in exchange for the fourth overall pick.

What a rape of a trade that would have been.

Guest Vitamin X

In other news, Michael Vick is an idiot.

Vick: 'I'm never at house' where dogs found

ATLANTA (April 27, 2007) -- Michael Vick blamed family members for taking advantage of his generosity after a police raid found evidence of dog fighting at property he owns in Virginia.

An animal rights group scoffed at that explanation, saying it's long suspected the Atlanta Falcons quarterback was involved in the fight-to-the-death activity.

Embroiled in another embarrassing -- and perhaps criminal -- situation, Vick traveled to New York to take part in activities leading up to the NFL draft.

Appearing at a news conference to announce his participation in the NFL Quarterback Challenge, Vick described himself as an unwitting victim of relatives living on his property in Smithfield, Va.

"I'm never at the house," Vick said, according to ajc.com. "I left the house with my family members and my cousin. They just haven't been doing the right thing."

Police conducting a drug investigation raided the Vick-owned house and found dozens of dogs, some injured and emaciated. Investigators also discovered items associated with dog fighting.

Vick claimed he knew nothing about it.

"It's unfortunate I have to take the heat," he said. "If I'm not there, I don't know what's going on. It's a call for me to really tighten down on who I'm trying to take care of. When it all boils down, people will try to take advantage of you and leave you out to dry. Lesson learned for me."

John Goodwin, who handles dog-fighting issues for The Humane Society of America, was skeptical that Vick was unaware of such a large operation -- especially when police were led to the property as part of a drug investigation after arresting the quarterback's 26-year-old cousin, Davon Boddie.

Goodwin said authorities found 66 dogs on the property, mostly pit bulls who appeared to be involved in organized fighting. He estimated it would cost up to $100 a day just to feed that number of animals, not to mention other hefty expenses.

"Who's paying to feed all those dogs?" Goodwin asked. "Who has the money to feed 66 pit bulls that's in some way, shape or form related to that property?"

He said The Humane Society has heard for several years that Vick was personally involved in the brutal, clandestine activity, which is banned nationwide and a felony in 48 states, including Virginia and Georgia. A conviction in Virginia carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a $2,500 fine.

"We get a lot of calls, and people were always kind of kicking his name around," Goodwin said. "But it was always difficult to put together a complete case on the guy. The word is that he has multiple layers of protection. When the search warrant was executed and they found all the things they found, it really came as no surprise."

Falcons spokesman Reggie Roberts said the team would not have a comment until it got more details on the investigation. Vick's attorney, Larry Woodward, did not return a telephone message seeking comment for the second day in a row.

"The search warrant was issued in a matter unrelated to the property owner, Mr. Michael Vick," Surry County Sheriff Harold D. Brown said.

Goodwin, who has worked with authorities on numerous dog-fighting cases, said he was told that officers also found bloody strips of carpeting, commonly used in dog-fighting pits, and "breaking sticks" - hammer-like devices used to pry open an animal's jaw after a fight.

The NFL said it is looking into the matter. Commissioner Roger Goodell has made it clear he intends to crack down on players involved in off-the-field misconduct.

Goodell might be swayed by a string of embarrassing incidents involving Vick, starting with a sordid lawsuit that accused him of knowingly infecting a woman with a sexually transmitted disease and using the alias "Ron Mexico" while seeking treatment. The case was settled out of court.

Last season, Vick flashed an obscene hand gesture to heckling Atlanta fans as he walked off the field following a loss. He was fined $10,000 by the NFL and donated another $10,000 to charity.

In January, security officers at Miami International Airport seized a water bottle from Vick that they said smelled of marijuana and had a hidden compartment. Authorities later said there were no drugs in the bottle, and Vick explained that he used the secret compartment to carry jewelry.

Just this week, Vick came under more criticism when he failed to show for a lobbying appearance on Capitol Hill in support of increased funding for after-school programs. He missed a connecting flight in Atlanta through no fault of his own, but didn't turn up for a later flight.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals has asked Falcons owner Arthur Blank to suspend Vick pending the investigation and "to kick him off the team if it is found that dogs on Vick's property were neglected or used for fighting."

Goodwin said The Humane Society would take a similar stand if criminal charges were filed against Vick.

While the quarterback insisted he was not involved in dog fighting, he has shown an interest in breeding pit bulls.

In a 2001 profile by The Sporting News, he revealed having a pit bull that already had produced one litter and said he was trying to start a breeding kennel.

"There's more to me than people might think," he said at the time.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10156954

(April 29, 2007) -- On Draft Weekend 2007, the biggest tremors in the football world came from a trade between the New England Patriots and Oakland Raiders.

Randy Moss is on the verge of becoming a Patriot after New England agreed to send a fourth-round pick in Sunday's draft to Oakland for the mercurial and maddening wide receiver. Before the trade is completed, Moss must undergo a physical, which he arrived in New England on Sunday morning to take. Assuming Moss passes, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady will be passing him the ball next season in one of the most dynamic and electric quarterback-wide receiver combinations that has ever played in the NFL.

Moss already has agreed to dramatically restructure his contract, which is scheduled to pay him $9.75 million this coming season. New England was the one and only place Moss would agree to take a reduced contract, and he did so knowing that he would have the chance to win a Super Bowl. With the offseason that New England has had, no team in football has a better chance.

Moss also comes to New England with the warning that, as Bill Parcells used to say, the light is yellow and ready to turn red. The Patriots have notified Moss that under no circumstance will they tolerate any of the transgressions that have marked his career. The first controversial incident that Moss is involved in will be his last. The Patriots insist they will release him.

But now that they have him, they are thrilled. Brady is said to be very excited upon learning the news that his team had agreed to a trade with Oakland. Patriots coach Bill Belichick feels the same way as Brady. After spending previous seasons lacking a big-play target, the Patriots now have a plethora of them -- none any bigger than Moss.

How the trade evolved is a story itself. Ongoing trade talks from throughout the offseason continued Friday and intensified Saturday night after the draft when the Raiders called the Patriots and got New England to sweeten its offer of what had been a sixth-round pick. New England agreed to trade a fourth-round pick to Oakland.

The trade caps a remarkably and busy offseason for the Patriots, who have repositioned themselves as the team to beat in the AFC and the NFL. They have added former Ravens linebacker Adalius Thomas, former Bengals cornerback Tory James, former Dolphins running back Sammy Morris, former Dolphins wide receiver Wes Welker, former Eagles wide receiver Donte Stallworth and former Bengals wide receiver Kelley Washington.

Oakland was in a position where it had to trade Moss. It could not afford to pay him his base salary while also signing No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell to a contract that is expected to include about $30 million in guaranteed money. Plus, Raiders coach Lane Kiffin had been anxious to deal Moss and start over fresh, able to implement his own ideas with his own players.

Guest Richard McBeef

What is it with football players and multiple pitbulls? Can't they just have a cat?

I think it's like owning a big truck or, in celebrities/atheletes cases, a fleet of big trucks.

A big truck can be beneficial. At what point does a collection of pit bulls provide a benefit? Security? One dog would suffice, not a pack of apparently rabid pitbulls.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
See, it wouldn't just be a house cat. It'd have to be a Bengal Tiger or some shit.

When Mike Tyson filed for bankruptcy, one of his outstanding debts was half a million in Tiger food. He had a similar phone bill.

Lost in the Moss talk is the fact that Darrell Jackson was traded to the 49ers, also for a 4th round pick

Hell, with how weak that division is, I'd actually say the 49ers could be considered a favorite to win it.

Could a fellow Seahawk fan explain to me why the FUCK we traded Jackson to the Niners?

I could maybe see getting rid of Jackson now that we got Branch, ignoring of course that we had a fantastic 1-2 punch with them considering Hasselbeck was almost a walking corpse last season due to injuries. Jackson is somewhat injury prone, but when he's healthy, he's one of the best WR's in the NFL.

So we traded him...to the NINERS? A team that's made significant progress and is probably going to be our big indivision rivals, and we trade him our best WR for a draft pick? Does that make ANY SENSE? Is it me that's insane here?

Are they TRYING to make the Niners the better team? They already whooped our asses twice last year, lets help them be the best team in the division!

So very illogical and stupid.

From what I understand, there's been some issues between DJ and the front office, I think it stemmed from missing a bonus by 1 yard (he had a season with 1199 yards receiving or something). I like DJ, and I agree that he should have been sent to the AFC instead of within the division.