TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

Refute this statement and I'll tear you a new asshole

I mean, from what I've read about Oz in reviews, it sounds like an R rated male soap opera. The plot sounds ridiculous. I mean reading about the later seasons, the plots reach an almost Passions level of absurdity. Granted, I haven't seen more than 10-15 minutes of it at a time. I can't argue too much against a show I haven't watched.

I think a lot of it has to do that Oz's main competition(during it's best years) was with The Sopranos which is such a "sexy" theme and contains such familiar subject matter, I mean who doesn't like "mob drama" I know a lot of people that refuse to watch Oz because the fear of "gay sex" well guess what, it's about Maxium Security PRISON, the shit happens.

I wasn't saying the gay sex stuff in prison was unrealistic. That's very realistic. It's tunelling in Chinese migrant workers that's a bit insane. I've never watched the show because of the fear of gay sex, I've never watched it because it didn't sound very appealing. The anal rape joke I made a while back was a joke.

Whatever, the unpredictablity of it all is what it makes it so appealing to it's fan. I'm not going to aruge anymore against a show that I've barely seen.

Oz introduced me to male full-frontal on cable tv. I'm not sure if I should thank it for that but it was a good show in it's time. I just don't think that the sum of it's parts can equal the work of Deadwood in terms of an overall story. Different sides of the same fence, I suppose. Oz is fairly epic in terms of size and scale and time is a huge factor in terms of how the stories were played out. I loved Deadwood for pretty much the same reason because it's the opposite. The events in Deadwood occur over less then 2 years if my memory serves correct but the way it's drawn out to feel like an ancient story is awesome.

I used to watch Oz all of the time when it was on- that ws a great cucking show.

I've never seen Deadwood, so I won't comment on it. And I may take some flack for saying this, but right now I think the best show on TV is Battlestar Galactica. The first season was hit or miss, but the past two have gone from good to great with narry a bad episode.

New statement: The Sopranos is the most overrated show of this decade and would probably fall under the top ten most overrated of all time.

The first 2 and 1/2 seasons were mind-blowingly great and then it dropped to standard drama but the last season and half has taken the show down from the greatness it had started with. Good acting from the principle characters but the story keeps going nowhere and gets more outlandish by the episode. That tends to be a problem with HBO shows once they get beyond 4-5 seasons (SFU, OZ, SITC, for example). Deadwood and Wire, haven't gotten to that wall yet and they'll get out in time before it occurs.

When I think over-rated, CSI (and all it's versions). CSI, however, isn't a critical darling, so it's not expected to live up to its ratings in quality.

I'll have to say E.R was severely overrated especially at it's peak even if it had a couple fantastic characters but as a whole the show got worse and worse and eventually, a joke of a program.

I still think ER at it's peak is one of the best dramas of all time. Edwards, La Salle, Clooney, Wyle, Stringer, Marguilles, Macy and the supporting cast was fucking incedible. Broke ground for shit like CSI by dealing with a difficult and morbid job and showing how stuff like that can affect your personal lives.

Yes, the peak was good for the characters but I always felt it got too much love. Sort of like Sorpanos was getting during its inception. After the main characters (Clooney, Marguiles, La Salle and Edwards) left, I felt the show dropped with having Wyle carry the show.

I couldn't even tell you who is on the show right now aside from Mekhi Phiffer since it seems as if that cast inserts new people every time I pass through it and I never bothered to learn the new guys after Wyle finally left.

You don't need HBO service to see these shows. There's no reason, if you like televised entertainment, to have not seen Wire/Deadwood and the old shows (Oz, SFU, Sorpanos at its best, etc, etc).

"I don't have HBO" seems like a pretty good reason.

The DVD box sets are expensive.

Rent them. Most of the shows' season sets are available to rent at pretty much every video store. I haven't seen a video store that doesn't have The Sopranos and Entourage and most have Deadwood, The Wire, some seasons of Oz, etc. And if you have NetFlix, that's even better.

New statement: The Sopranos is the most overrated show of this decade and would probably fall under the top ten most overrated of all time.

Seinfeld holds up at number one, and will always be there.

Agreed.

Not really a statement; more so a question but what do you guys think is the most underrated series of all time? I'm going to say Homicide: Life On The Street. I've only seen the first two seasons, but it's really incredible for a network series and it was a bit of a precursor to The Wire (Should be since it came from the same creator). Some of the cases themselves could get a bit hackneyed once in a great while but their wasn't a remotely weak character and the cast, IMO, is one of the best of all time. I mean Yaphett Kotto was in it damn it! I heard it sort of went down hill later on though.

I know it gets a bit of critical acclaim but that show should be getting a bit more love IMO.

The first two and last season of Seinfeld are hit and miss, but most everything from 3-7 is pure gold.

And Choken is wrong about Sex and the City. The show got better as it went along, and they gave the girls better storylines instead of giving the girl a man with a quirky problem. Season 4 of Sex and City except for Carrie dumping Aiden is perfect

The first two and last season of Seinfeld are hit and miss, but most everything from 3-7 is pure gold.

Yeah, Seinfeld was untouchable until Larry David left. One he left, the show dropped off the map quality-wise, with very occasional flashes of brilliance.

The Seinfeld series finale was the biggest letdown in television history.

I don't think there's any way that the Seinfeld finale could've been anything BUT a letdown. People just had such unattainable hopes for it that no matter what it wouldn't have made them happy.

I enjoyed it. Anybody who doesn't get the connection in the final scene didn't deserve to watch the finale in the first place. Plus, Elaine telling Puddy "Don't wait for me" and Puddys immediate "Ok" was fantastic.

I also loved Jackie Chiles scoring with Sidra, and the Soup Nazi.

Jackie Chiles: You guys have a pet name for everybody.

The last scene is fantastic

I'm quite certain the best show of 21st century was a little sleeper hit on MTV called CLONE HIGH. True, it was only one season, but i can't imagine anyone seeing it and not loving it as much as me.

i guess you can close this thread now right . . . ?

I don't think there's any way that the Seinfeld finale could've been anything BUT a letdown. People just had such unattainable hopes for it that no matter what it wouldn't have made them happy.

The thing about Seinfeld is that we liked watching these inherently unlikeable characters. And the finale was basically a really long way of making us ask ourselves... "Why?"

Was Clone High some sort of Asian import or am I thinking of something else?

Sticky was good in Over There also, which was also an underrated show. Not a great show but certainly underrated.

I enjoyed it. Anybody who doesn't get the connection in the final scene didn't deserve to watch the finale in the first place. Plus, Elaine telling Puddy "Don't wait for me" and Puddys immediate "Ok" was fantastic.

Yes to the Puddy thing...but I don't follow the final scene connection.

Can I assume what you mean is that they faded out talking about the very same thing they series began with?