TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BigPoppaKev

Cro Cop to UFC?

From todays Observer update Meltzer has this to say about the rumors of Cro Cop having discussions with UFC:

Regarding Mirko Cro Cop, he has been given an offer from UFC after his current deal with Pride expires. All the top marketable stars from every group are going to get offers from every group with big money. Negotiations are not even at the prelim level. This is an amazing story. How this got out is that an anonymous person on the Sherdog message board claimed to have looked over the shoulder of someone at UFC with figures that claimed Cro Cop was getting a $4 million offer for four matches. Because it made the message board, and this really speaks to the profession today, a newspaper in Croatia picked it up like it was a news story. Cro Cop in the story, denied it and laughed about it. He did a TV interview later where he said they've made an offer but again said the offer is nowhere close to what the internet has.

Interesting for both UFC and Pride. If he goes to the UFC does he immediately get a title shot? Who would you like him to fight?

If he goes to the UFC does he immediately get a title shot? Who would you like him to fight?

Cro Cop vs Iceman with the hype being the best puncher vs kicker besides there is nobody in the UFC heavyweight division that can go more than 2 minutes against Cro Cop.

It would be funny if Cro Cop beat Tim Slyvia with one high kick in the 1st round 10 seconds into the fight just like Gilbert Yvel/Gary Goodridge from PRIDE 10.

Interesting for both UFC and Pride. If he goes to the UFC does he immediately get a title shot? Who would you like him to fight?

No, you feed a guy with some name power to him first (like, say, Mir), THEN give him the title shot.

Hey, it worked for Anderson Silva.

Cro Cop ain't reaching Tim's head with a high kick unless Tim gets amputated.

This is true. Here's to hoping Vera beats Sylvia.

I'm getting more confident in Vera the more I think about it, though the reach still bothers me. Vera's greco is his unknown strength and I want to see him punish the body to get inside

Mirko to UFC would be a brilliant move by UFC. Mirko speaks English, is charismatic, and INCREDIBLY dangerous.

I'd go as far as to say that Mirko would dominate everyone in UFC's division aside from possibly Vera. There's no one else that could beat Mirko. Sylvia would be KO'd likely within the first round due to his open fighting style. If Mirko can't high kick him, he'd re-arrange his internal organs like he did to Herring with kicks to the midsection, or even use his punching ability to drop him. Monson wouldn't be able to take him down, and Mirko would knock his head off...Who's left? Mir? Mir would die a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE DEATH. Arlovski's the only other possible threat, and that depends on which Arlovski shows up.

And you say this like it's a bad thing?

Let's face it, the UFC needs a shakeup in the HW division. Vera is there because he knew he could plow through the pretenders and have a realistic shot at the belt. It's an easier path to gaining two belts than starting with the LHWs, for sure.

Plus, signing Cro Cop gives guys like Silva, Nog and Fedor something to think about when their contracts expire.

I can't see Nog in UFC. The scoring system there would work against his style. Nog's takedown defence isn't the greatest either and he'd have an even more difficult time when stacked up against the cage.

Mirko to UFC would be a brilliant move by UFC. Mirko speaks English, is charismatic, and INCREDIBLY dangerous.

I'd go as far as to say that Mirko would dominate everyone in UFC's division aside from possibly Vera. There's no one else that could beat Mirko. Sylvia would be KO'd likely within the first round due to his open fighting style. If Mirko can't high kick him, he'd re-arrange his internal organs like he did to Herring with kicks to the midsection, or even use his punching ability to drop him. Monson wouldn't be able to take him down, and Mirko would knock his head off...Who's left? Mir? Mir would die a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE DEATH. Arlovski's the only other possible threat, and that depends on which Arlovski shows up.

Kongo would give Mirko a good fight due to styles, but Mirko would win no question.

Your Kongo love is back I see. And if you're putting Kongo on the same level as Mirko as a kickboxer I'd say.......well I wouldn't know what to say.

Not really...

I said Kongo could give Mirko some trouble, but Mirko would win no question. Basically what I am saying is Kongo problay has the best stand up in th HW divison.

Your Kongo love is back I see. And if you're putting Kongo on the same level as Mirko as a kickboxer I'd say.......well I wouldn't know what to say.

Not really...

I said Kongo could give Mirko some trouble, but Mirko would win no question. Basically what I am saying is Kongo problay has the best stand up in th HW divison.

In the UFC alone, both Arlovski's & Vera's are better.

Will Bisbing ever get a working visa to fight for the UFC again or what?

Bisping*

And he is fighting on the undercard of Tito/Liddell 2.

It's nothing to really worry about. Canadian WWE wrestlers used to go through the same issues, and given the recent happenings in the UK, I'm sure the immigration/security types are just a wee bit more cautious...

No, you feed a guy with some name power to him first (like, say, Mir), THEN give him the title shot.

Hey, it worked for Anderson Silva.

Cro Cop ain't reaching Tim's head with a high kick unless Tim gets amputated.
This is true. Here's to hoping Vera beats Sylvia.

I don't know, I've seen Cro Cop throw a high kick OVER Jan Nortje's head in K-1, and he's taller than Tim.

I remember Bas talking about how everyone said he couldn't kick Aleks in the head, then Bas bragging about how he did it. He's right, Aleks is almost as tall as Tim.

Even if he couldn't do it, does it matter? It's not like he's a one-trick pony. He could beat however the hell he wants, including on the ground.

Brandon Vera is apparently a muay thai world champ, but I don't know the credentials of that when stacked up against Cro Cop's K-1 resume. Then again, K-1 stars can come into MMA and get knocked down by Naoya Ogawa of all people.

And the plot thickens... I'm just wondering how long it will be until Mirko gets his shot.

"You guys going to come and pick my head up out of the second row after he kicks it off??"

-Forest Griffin on Between the Ropes, talking about the possibility of fighting Mirko.