TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Roundtable Discussion

Nash is a very deserving candidate but I think the prospect of him winning it 3 years in a row will turn some voters away.

A guy I used to work with was trying to claim that Kobe Bryant is a far better basketball player than Michael Jordan.

Ridiculousness.

I hope the damn Sonics move. I don't like basketball and they've always sucked 9at least during my lifetime)

Seattle cares a lot about the Mariners and Seahawks, but the Sonics management is just being bitchy.

WTF are you talking about? The team had an 11 year streak of above .500 seasons and I believe made the playoffs for each of those up till the 02-03 season. Seattle loves the Sonics, but it's hard to be excited when your management apparently has decided to do shit since getting rid of Payton/Kemp. When Kemp and Payton were together it was all about the Reign Man and the Glove.

God that ignorance just pisses me off.

Nash is great, back to back MVP etc. etc, but he's also got Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudamire back at close to full strength, Barbosa becoming a stud, and one of the best coaches in the league.

I like D'Antoni and his system has definately turned the Suns into winners, but I find it hard calling him one of the best coaches in the league when he does not know how to use the bench. Every year people claim the Suns bench is weak, every year it gets stronger and the same thing happens.

COMPLETELY agreed. He has no idea how to utilize his bench. He is stuck on having this 8 man rotation when he has the talent and the man power to have a 9-10 man rotation and not kill his guys in the regular season.

He is still one of the best coaches in the league because others Like Phil Jackson, are guys that don't utilize their bench to it highest potential but does put the right guys out there to win.

Just wanted to point something out from Hollinger's chat this morning regarding the Phoenix Suns and defense. A lot of people want to say that Phoenix has a poor defense when it's actually pretty good. It just looks bad because they play at such a faster pace than most teams, and therefore give up boatloads of points.

Aaron (PHX): John, for some reason the national media has decided to consider Dallas a "great" defensive team, but consider the Suns a "poor" defensive team. You have a cult following of tens of millions, and they're all here in this chat room right now. Put this myth to rest for all of them please!!!

John Hollinger: (2:06 PM ET ) Gladly. Both clubs are primarly offensive teams, ranking 1st and 3rd in offensive eficiency after being the top two a year ago. But they're also neck-and-neck on D- Dallas is 6th, Phoenix 7th, and the difference wasn't much greater a year ago. The reason people think the Suns don't play D is because they aren't using pace-adjusted numbers, and since the run-and-gun Suns produce much higher scores than the mostly halfcourt Mavs (some people erroneously think of the Mavs as a running team but they're 28th in Pace Factor), it appears to those who aren't paying attention closely that the Mavs D is much better.

Knicks No. 1 NBA franchise in terms of revenues, Forbes says

Jan. 25, 2007

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- The New York Knicks are the NBA's most valuable franchise despite nearly $40 million in operating losses last season, according to a list compiled by Forbes.

The Knicks topped the list for the second straight year with a value of $592 million, up 9 percent from the previous year. They had an NBA-high $185 million in revenues for the 2005-06 season, but also topped the league with losses of $39 million.

New York had a payroll of more than $120 million, easily the NBA's largest, while going just 23-59 last season. The Knicks paid coach Larry Brown about $10 million for that season, then paid him another $18.5 million in a settlement after firing him with four years remaining on his contract.

Though Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan said earlier this season that "it's never OK to lose business," he pointed out that the Knicks represented only about 3 percent of the total business of parent company Cablevision.

The Los Angeles Lakers were second at $568 million, while the Dallas Mavericks had a 15 percent jump after their first NBA Finals appearance and were third at $463 million. Chicago ($461 million) and Houston ($439 million) rounded out the top five.

The complete Forbes list will be appear in its Feb. 12 issue.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005-2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Whaaaaaaaaaat? I could understand being # 1 in revenue because of their astronomical ticket prices, but it's ridiculous that the league laughingstock is the most "valuable" franchise out there.

Updating my reserves.

East:

G: Jason Kidd

G: Richard Hamilton

F: Caron Butler

F: Jermaine O'Neal

C: Dwight Howard

WC: Ben Gordon

WC: Vince Carter

West:

G: Steve Nash

G: Allen Iverson

F: Dirk Nowitzki

F: Carlos Boozer

C: Amare Stoudemire

WC: Shawn Marion

WC: Josh Howard

WC: Deron Williams

Three WC's in the West because of Yao's injury, of course.

NBA might penalize players for flopping

Scott Soshnick

Bloomberg News

Jan. 25, 2007 01:07 PM

National Basketball Association players who fake fouls might soon be penalized themselves, a league official said.

The NBA is studying how often feigned fouls, known as "flops," occur and whether officials can consistently tell the difference between actual fouls and embellishments, said Stu Jackson, the executive vice president for basketball operations.

"They're really difficult to determine in real time. They're meant to fool an official," Jackson told reporters today. "Are we going to be wrong more times than not? It's tough, but we're looking at it."

FIBA, the governing body for international basketball, allows referees to impose a technical foul for flopping, a penalty that Jackson said the NBA is considering. Other sports, including soccer and hockey, also allow officials to penalize players who embellish fouls.

"We have so many more plays than you do in a football or soccer game and in a more intimate environment," said Jackson, who didn't offer a timetable for a decision.

Jackson met with reporters in New York to discuss the league's officiating program.

Yeah, this should go over well.

Manu might dethrone 'Sheed as the league's most T'ed up player just for being himself if soccer diving is no longer allowed.

Slow day in the Sports folder at TSM. ESPN.com has posted their midseason report. I've copied and pasted the questions below. Feel free to take a stab at your convenience.

1. Which team looks like the best bet to win the East?

2. Which team looks like the best bet to win the West?

3. Which team looks like the best bet to win the NBA title?

4. Which dark horse has a legitimate shot at surprising us and winning it all?

5. Who's been the best rookie this season?

6. Who's the MVP so far?

7. Fact or fiction -- the Phoenix Suns are the greatest offense you've ever seen.

8. Fact or fiction -- the Toronto Raptors will hold on to their lead and win the Atlantic.

9. Which will happen first -- the Knicks will win 50 games in a season, the Celtics will win 50 games in a season or the Lakers will win an NBA title?

10. As we sit at the midpoint of the regular season, which story line or situation interests you most?

Chicago - If you look at point differentials the Bulls have actually been better than their record seems to indicate. They have the most talent, top to bottom, in the East and I'm certain they'll make a play for Pau Gasol or one of the other impact guys on the trading block before the season is over.

Phoenix - I know the popular choice is Dallas, but Phoenix has been incredible since their slow start. Their only losses have been in overtime and on a buzzer beater. They have the most explosive offense in the league and unlike the past two years they're playing well defensively.

Phoenix, or whoever wins the West. There is no one in the East who even has a shot, save for maybe Miami if they ever get their act together.

I'd be inclined to say San Antonio, if you consider them a darkhorse. If you don't, probably Houston, who have been playing exceptionally well all year when they've been less than 100%. If Yao and Tracy are at full speed, they might be hard to beat in a playoff series.

Brandon Roy and I'm not even sure it's that close. I haven't seen much of Bargnani, although I hear he's going to be spectacular.

6. Who's the MVP so far?

Steve Nash at this point, but Dirk, Kobe and Arenas are literally right there. Each of those guys have been phenomenal this year and have their teams playing the best basketball that they can. I still give the edge to Nash because not only has his individual game been superb, the system he's running is the best in the league right now

7. Fact or fiction -- the Phoenix Suns are the greatest offense you've ever seen.

Fiction - Stupid, stupid question. I hate when people try to compare across eras. Phoenix is the best offense in this current environment, but who knows how they'd fare in the 80s or 90s. There are just too many variables.

8. Fact or fiction -- the Toronto Raptors will hold on to their lead and win the Atlantic.

Fact - The Nets should be winning this division going away, but they can't seem to get their act together and injuries and possible trades will affect them down the stretch. The Raptors are only going to get better as the young guys continue to improve and gel.

9. Which will happen first -- the Knicks will win 50 games in a season, the Celtics will win 50 games in a season or the Lakers will win an NBA title?

My first inclination was to say the Lakers will win a title, but then I realized the the Celtics are literally one big trade or a Oden/Durant away from winning 50 in the East.

10. As we sit at the midpoint of the regular season, which story line or situation interests you most?

What will happen with Pau Gasol, Vince Carter and Kevin Garnett down the stretch. Like the Pistons in '04 with Sheed, there are several teams that could be one impact player away from upsetting everyone.

1. Detroit? I don't know that anyone looks like a best bet to even win their division in the East right now.

2. Dallas if they get the # 1 seed. I'd go with San Antonio if Phoenix gets it.

3. Dallas if they get the # 1 seed in the West. San Antonio if Phoenix gets it.

4. Miami. They're not in the playoffs right now, but with Wade (and a somewhat fresh Shaq) in the playoffs they could make another run.

5. Brandon Roy

6. Dirk Nowitzki

7. Fiction, I was born before the basketbrawl days of the '90s. Those early-mid '80s Nuggets team scored 115 to 125 a night. ('82-83 AVERAGED 126.5)

8. True, just because RJ and Krstic are out for NJ.

9. The Lakers could win an NBA title this year. The Knicks won't win 50 in a year until next decade, same with the Celtics.

10. Miami, the # 9 seed in the East.

Detroit Pistons.

Phoenix Suns.

Phoenix Suns.

Houston Rockets.

Brandon Roy (when healthy).

6. Who's the MVP so far?

I'll go with Nash, but you can't go wrong with him, Dirk, or Kobe.

That i've seen? Yes.

Fiction.

Knicks win 50.

Any trade rumors involving Gasol, Carter, Allen, and/or KG.

Lakers ain't winning a title anytime soon with all those powers in the West, I don't know what direction Ainge is heading, and the Knicks finally have a stable nucleus, pending any trades that go through the deadline.

You picked the Celtics and i'm the homer? If Oden and Durant come out this year, they'll probably go to Philly and Memphis, with Pierce coming back sometime soon.

Whatever though, we'll see.

Lakers ain't winning a title anytime soon with all those powers in the West, I don't know what direction Ainge is heading, and the Knicks finally have a stable nucleus, pending any trades that go through the deadline.

You picked the Celtics and i'm the homer? If Oden and Durant come out this year, they'll probably go to Philly and Memphis, with Pierce coming back sometime soon.

Whatever though, we'll see.

Despite the Red Sox love, I'm not from Boston and I'm not a Celtics fan. The Celtics have Pierce and some young talent. If they added a Garnett or Gasol through trade, or lucked into Durant or Oden, they could maybe win 50 games. I don't see the Knicks having anything coming in the pipeline, either by trade, free agency or draft that could get them over the hump for the next couple of years.

The Lakers, as naiwf pointed out, could win a title this year, especially if they packaged Bynum, their expiring contracts and their first round pick to get Pau Gasol (although I think I read that West wouldn't go for that). Jason Kidd could also end up in LA.

Pistons or Bulls

Dallas

Dallas

Rockets or Pistons (I wouldn't consider phoenix, SA, or miami being a legitimate dark horse)

Roy

6. Who's the MVP so far?

Dirk (with Nash right behind him)

Vague question, but fiction. I think Kobe's 81 point game was the grestest offense i'd ever seen (yes I'm cheating, but they worded it that way!)

Fiction

Knicks win 50

Carmelo and AI in Denver

Chicago. I have a hard time calling any team in that conference a "best bet", but I think they have the talent and depth to be able to pull together at the right time.

Dallas. I haven't seen a team that plays a complete offensive and defensive game like them since the Lakers that beat the Pacers in the Finals.

Dallas. The only chance any team from the East has is if the Western Conference winner gets completely gassed from running through that gauntlet.

I'll say Lakers, even if they don't have much of a shot. The fact is, the top teams are SO GOOD that it's improbable that any of the lesser teams like the Rockets, Jazz and Nuggets will be able to beat 3 of them.

Brandon Roy. There isn't really one guy that's clearly emerged from the pack, IMO.

6. Who's the MVP so far?

Kobe or Dirk. Pick one.

Fiction. SHOWTIME BABY!

Fact. Process of elimination.

Lakers and Celtics will reach those accomplishments next season.

The Garnett situation. He can't be happy, his team isn't that good, and the owner of the T-Wolves is completely oblivious in regards to the talent of his team. They should have stuck with Casey, and I don't know how much more he'll take of this. It looks like we're headed for a big deadline, so we'll see.

1. Which team looks like the best bet to win the East? Detroit

2. Which team looks like the best bet to win the West? Dallas or Phoenix. Yeah, I'm chickening out on this one.

3. Which team looks like the best bet to win the NBA title? See 2.

4. Which dark horse has a legitimate shot at surprising us and winning it all? Houston or the Lakers, I suppose. It just depends on what qualifies for you as a darkhorse.

5. Who's been the best rookie this season? Brandon Roy

6. Who's the MVP so far? Kobe Bryant

7. Fact or fiction -- the Phoenix Suns are the greatest offense you've ever seen. Fiction

8. Fact or fiction -- the Toronto Raptors will hold on to their lead and win the Atlantic. Fiction

9. Which will happen first -- the Knicks will win 50 games in a season, the Celtics will win 50 games in a season or the Lakers will win an NBA title? Lakers will win a title

10. As we sit at the midpoint of the regular season, which story line or situation interests you most? I'd say just the Eastern conference as a whole. I picked Detroit to win above, but it's really wide open. There's about six or seven teams that I wouldn't be surprised if they did make the Finals.

I'll go with Detroit, but there's really no "best bet". Right now there's about 5 teams you could make a legitimate case for. If Chicago gets Gasol I'd change my answer.

Phoenix

Phoenix

Lakers in the West, Knicks in the East :P

Brandon Roy, but Bargnani has been coming on strong the last month or so

6. Who's the MVP so far?

Kobe Bryant

Fiction.

FICTION. NYK ALL THE WAY!

Knicks win 50

How much more awesome can the Knicks get?!?

Detroit

Dallas

Dallas

That depends on what the definition of "dark horse" is... Chicago, I guess. At least, based on my own perception of what a "dark horse" is.

Morrison

6. Who's the MVP so far?

Arenas

Fiction. Having said that, even though I'm close to thirty-two, I didn't get into basketball until I started high school, so I missed the whole Showtime era... the best offense that *I'VE* ever seen with my own eyes was the 2001-2003 Sacramento Kings; I've never seen such fluid ball movement like that by all five players on the court by any other team in the seventeen years I've been watching basketball.

Fact

Knicks win 50

Can Webber get Detroit over the hump.

Lakers Made Offer For Kidd

Jan 26 - The Los Angeles Lakers attempted to lift Jason Kidd several weeks ago, perhaps a month, according to sources on both coasts.

Presuming the Nets might want to distance themselves from their leader's marriage crisis, as well as unload Kidd's $40 million guaranteed over the next two seasons, the Lakers submitted a bunch of disposable players/expiring contracts - Chris Mihm, Aaron McKie, etc. The only L.A. player of consequence mentioned was rookie guard Jordan Farmar.

They figured wrong. That doesn't mean the Lakers have stopped trying to find a Kobe Bryant-compatible workaholic to lighten his everyday burden. -- New York Post

From ESPN Insider and the New York Post.

Interesting....

For anyone who has Insider, there's a column up where Hollinger ranks the 30 best players to never win a championship. Go check it out and steal it for us.

Heh...thats funny. I will just say Detroit just because. No team in the East is any bet to win anything. That is parity people. No team looks better than the others honestly.

My fandom says the suns. The realist in me says the suns. So...um...the Suns.

Suns... and after watching this team for more than 20 years now I can honestly think that I have a chance of seeing it happen.

Lakers. Yeah, laugh some people, but I legitamately think they could sneak their way into the West finals and take this freakin thing.

Brandon Roy in limited action. But this is going to be a good rookie class. Morrison is starting to learn to get his shot off in the NBA, Baragni(whatever) is showing why he was the number one pick, and guys like Gay and Foye are just consistant minutes and experience away from being really good.

6. Who's the MVP so far?

Um...Nash I guess with Dirk at a close second and Kobe/Gilbert right behind them. This is a very close race though. If the suns win another 15+ straight, i am going with Steve.

HAHAAHAHA. Hells no. That is ridiculous.

No. New Jersey will come around eventually.

Um...the Knicks winning 50. Because I can see that happening within the next two years. The Lakers will have a chance in the next few years to contend also, so one of those two things will happen(sorry Boston fans).

Honestly wanting the see if the Hawks can make a push and make my prediction correct. I think the injury plauged NOvember killed them but when healthy they are a .500 team.

1. Which team looks like the best bet to win the East? pistons

2. Which team looks like the best bet to win the West? spurs

3. Which team looks like the best bet to win the NBA title? spurs

4. Which dark horse has a legitimate shot at surprising us and winning it all? cleveland

5. Who's been the best rookie this season? randy foye

6. Who's the MVP so far? nash

7. Fact or fiction -- the Phoenix Suns are the greatest offense you've ever seen. fiction

8. Fact or fiction -- the Toronto Raptors will hold on to their lead and win the Atlantic. fact

9. Which will happen first -- the Knicks will win 50 games in a season, the Celtics will win 50 games in a season or the Lakers will win an NBA title? knicks winning 50 games

10. As we sit at the midpoint of the regular season, which story line or situation interests you most? Will a team that lacks defensively as the Suns do win the championship?

I'm going to change my mind, on a few counts. Despite the loss tonight, this circus trip for the Spurs is normally the time of year when they really start to get good, and remind everyone that they're still around. The real test comes tommorrow night, at Phoenix on the tail end of a back-to-back. But my #2 is not set in stone as of yet.

Back to the All-Star teams, I think Michael Redd deserves to make it, despite his injury setback. This guy was playing as good as anyone in the league before he got hurt. So put him in for Carter, since you really shouldn't have two All-Stars if you're not in the playoffs.

In the wake of Boozer's injury, I think the Jazz have got to have someone in the game, whether it's Deron Williams or Mehmet Okur. Hopefully one of those guys is the injury replacement.