TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Roundtable Discussion

So Bynum can only become a great player with LA? He'll still be a good player in Memphis with Gay and Warrick. That's a solid frontline.

And Gasol would be very good for LA, but i'm not sure how Odom would fit with the team anymore. He's a good passer, but now with Kobe and Gasol, he'll barely touch the ball, and he needs it to be effective.

Only a great player with someone like Kareem teaching him.

Oh please, there are plenty of others out there who can teach him. Just because Kareen was great doesn't mean anyone who helps will be to.

Obviously, and that's why I said someone like him. Patrick Ewing could probably do the job all the same.

Guest Vitamin X
And Gasol would be very good for LA, but i'm not sure how Odom would fit with the team anymore. He's a good passer, but now with Kobe and Gasol, he'll barely touch the ball, and he needs it to be effective.

I think the point would be in moving Odom for Gasol. Remember when trading Odom was all the rage last year? Whatever happened to all that talk? I know he had a killer first half of the season until he got hurt this year, but ever since he's come back, he hasn't quite found that same explosiveness and game that he had going at first.

I did some playing around on ESPN's Trade Machine, and I came up with a pretty good trade for the Lakers: Chris Mihm, Aaron McKie, Lamar Odom, and Smush Parker for Pau Gasol and Damon Stoudamire. You send Memphis a bunch of expiring contracts, keep Kwame for the frontcourt (while losing a bit of depth with Mihm, but fuck that guy and his expiring contract), and all the while you come up with a decent PG, who, while not on Kidd's level by any stretch of the imagination, is a solid player himself and could distribute the ball better than Smush can. You'd have a starting line of 1-Stoudamire, 2-Kobe, 3-Luke/whoever the hell they have figured out for this position, 4-Gasol, and 5-Kwame. That's a pretty solid, athletic lineup. And the Grizzlies would just get a bunch of expiring contracts and/or younger players in return, while L.A. gets to keep Bynum and Farmar to develop on their own.

What the trade should be is:

Lakers get: Pau Gasol and Malik Rose.

Grizzlies get: Channing Frye, Chris Mihm, Aaron McKie, and Shammond Williams. (maybe a 1st rounder from the Knicks)

Knicks get: Lamar Odom.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/trad...~13~29~29~18~29

Grizzlies get a young player, some expiring contracts, the Knicks get someone to play the high point with Curry drawing doubles, and the Lakers get the center of their triangle offense. The Grizzlies just want to cut payroll, but in this instance they cut it, get a pick, and a solid young player.

Lets not keep calling Odem an inferior player. His game is not built for the triangle. Odem on most other teams is a 23-24 point scorer while getting you 7-8 boards and 5-6 assist. Memphis would be losing a low post scorer in Gasol, but they would be gaining a guy that has A: Proven to be a better player come playoffs B: Proven to make guys around him better.

Grizzlies get: Channing Frye, Chris Mihm, Aaron McKie, and Shammond Williams. (maybe a 1st rounder from the Knicks)

I think Isiah Thomas has traded away every first round pick the franchise will have until the NBA closes shop already.

Got this one from HoopsHype: The Suns have offered Raja Bell, Kurt Thomas, and the Hawks' first-rounder (obtained in the Joe Johnson trade) for Kidd.

Got this one from HoopsHype: The Suns have offered Raja Bell, Kurt Thomas, and the Hawks' first-rounder (obtained in the Joe Johnson trade) for Kidd.

The Suns are probably the last team that needs Jason Kidd. Although that's not a bad deal if you're the Nets. That draft pick is going to be very valuable.

Guest Oedipus Rex

Naiwf's World. It's next door to Marvin's World. Sometimes Marvin goes over to borrow a cup of sugar; sometimes naiwf comes over to play sports games on W!.! and root against the team he's controlling.

Do it Jersey just to fuck up the Suns' playoff push.

In what world would the Suns get worse by adding Jason Kidd?

Raja Bell and Kurt Thomas are in their limited rotation. The Suns don't play enough guys as it is, and even though Kidd is a BETTER player they'd be shortening the bench even further. They might have the best top 6 or 7 in the league, but you can't win an NBA title by only playing those guys and no one else.

Czech, don't you ever get tired dangling from my nutsack in sports threads? I'm just curious.

If the Suns would have traded for Kidd, they'd be totally depleted up front. I don't see the need to have Nash and Kidd on the same team anyway.

If the Suns would have traded for Kidd, they'd be totally depleted up front. I don't see the need to have Nash and Kidd on the same team anyway.

It didn't seem to hurt them when Thomas missed a month before the All-Star break. Look, I don't think they needed Kidd at all and I truly question the validity of the rumor, but it would hardly hurt them to have Kidd on the team. Probably wouldn't improve them much, but it wouldn't hurt their chances like naiwf was suggesting.

So how is everybody's fantasy NBA team coming out of the break? I think mine is just about to hit its stride; I got rid of some guys who were killing in field goal percentage earlier (Ben Gordon [though he has improved], J.R. Smith [being suspended didn't help], and Bibby [just recently]) and traded away Ray Allen and Deron Williams (I'm still good on assists and threes) for Kevin Garnett and Stephen Jackson, to get some help in the scoring (both) and boards department (Garnett) as well as get a decent small forward for the first time all year.

Hope that wasn't too many parentheses, ha

Here's my current squad:

Nowitzki

Garnett

Pau Gasol

David West

Stephen Jackson

Raymond Felton

Rudy Gay

Rasheed Wallace

Paul Millsap

Anthony Parker

Delonte West

Rafer Alston

Troy Murphy

Ime Udoka

Sam Cassell

Probably wouldn't improve them much, but it wouldn't hurt their chances like naiwf was suggesting.

Yeah, I agree with that.

Ric Bucher said that last night, the Lakers and Nets both thought they had a deal worked out for Kidd, one that apparently didn't include Bynum. Then Thorn this morning decided that he had to have Bynum or there was no deal.

And in regards to fantasy, my season in that league is down the tubes thanks to Wade's injury. I'm doing very well in H2H leagues, however.

I am so happy none of the Suns trades went through, even the Kurt Thomas/Marcus Banks for Drew Gooden one.

Mostly because Marcus Banks is going to be a difference maker in the playoffs. D'antoni just doesn't know it yet. Call him a flop all you like, that guy is a MONSTER on the ball defender and alot of those cute little penetrations and scores that Dallas was getting, isn't going to be working as much.

Plus, they were all really really really dumb trades. If they made that kidd trade they would be gone in the second round at best. Probably swept. Once again, the reason the suns offense works is that every single player on the court can hit a 20 footer consistantly so they just spread the hell out of the court so you pay if you double anyone or collapse on any one. Jason Kidd is not a consistant shooter from that range, thus he would be the guy cheated off of and as many teams will tell you, you can live with giving Kidd a wide open 20-23 footer.

Plus, like naiwf said, it would have killed the front line took away one of their best perimeter defenders, and Bells stellar three point shooting.

Good move other teams for saving the suns season.

Seeing the success of the "all-time MLB" tournament is going, would anyone be up to running one for the NBA? I mean, how would any of the Bulls teams do against a Rockets team backed by Hakeem? Could the Bad Boys of Detroit keep up the pace with the chaotic Suns?

Just an idea..

If someone got a high-quality basketball simulator like Al apparently has for baseball, I think it would be really fun. Same deal with football. I've wasted quite a bit of time on whatifsports.com dicking around with various NBA matchups over the last 40 years.