TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Roundtable Discussion

Guest Vitamin X

There's no real reason to keep him around, though. At all. If Oden (or they may go for Durant, who knows) pan out to be great players, Miles won't get any playing time, and they've got plenty of depth already.

The more I've thought about it, something tells me they're going to go for Durant. Just a gut feeling.

Still early and the feeling will probably go away, but I'm sure they'd love to have a dead-eye scorer for Roy to get the ball to. It depends on what they want to do with Randolph.

Well I was debating whether to get Ducks football season tickets or Blazers season tickets and now it's definitely Blazers. I can't believe that actually happened. I skipped class to watch the Lottery and it was so fucking worth it. I didn't actually see the final envelope get opened because my roomates and I were outside chanting Greg Oden's name.

People were in love with D Miles but I think everyone here officially wishes he would die. The fans are sick of him, the media HATES him, hopefully management will just cut their losses. It does sound like the players still like him though. 21 wins 2 years ago, 32 this year. With a healthy Zbo and Roy + Oden and an improved Aldridge and Jack who knows. Playoffs? Soon, very soon.

Guest George's Box

I think the league needs to give serious consideration to reforming the draft lottery. The idea of the lottery was, and correct me if I'm somehow mistaken, was to prevent teams from being rewarded by tanking games. What does a system that gives the worst team a 25% shot and the 14th a 0.5% shot do? It rewards you for tanking games. Now yes, the Trail Blazers were not the worst team in the league, so I guess you could say the lottery was a nominal success in that regard, but much like Brian Billick calling out the refs for sucking in games the Ravens won, now is the best time to point out the flaws of the lottery. Look at it this way: you're either 16 wins away from a championship or you're sitting at home at the end of the year. There should not be varying degrees of failure. The Clippers have failed just as much as the Grizzlies in my eyes, as well as in the eyes of the league circa 1985, when everybody allegedly had an equal shot at the #1 had it not been rigged for the Knicks. If the league and the Booyahs really want to talk about "THE DRAMA OF THE LOTTERY," then give everybody a 1 in 14 shot at the #1 and just draw the teams out in front of everybody. Where's the drama in one of Stern's underlings reading a list in reverse order save for one or two out of place?

rewards you for tanking games.

But the three worst teams (including Boston and Milwaukee- who definetly tanked games) ended up not being rewarded at all.

Guest George's Box

I acknowledged that, even though Boston still got a relatively high pick at #5. If people in Boston are really shitting their pants at having to pick fifth overall in a loaded draft, then they're being patently ridiculous. They drafted at #2 once and their pick died. Somehow I think Boston will survive having to draft fifth. Oh, the horror.

My main gripe is that they market the hell out of this thing and it ends up being very anti-climactic. Everybody should have an equal shot at every pick. I don't think that's a ridiculous demand.

I was ready to throw shit at the TV when I came home from work and watched the recording of the draft lottery. Sure its a loaded draft but the Celtics needs were with one of the first two picks. Oden is really the only franchise Center here (I'm not sold on Hibbert) and if they had to go young in a spot other than Center then Durant was NBA ready. They have so much youth still needing to be developed that adding more at this juncture just doesn't seem to be helpful.

I don't see this pick staying in Boston.

When do the Suns get the Hawks first round pick?

I can't be bothered to double check right now, but I believe the pick was top 3 protected. Had Atlanta drawn #4, the pick would have been conveyed to Phoenix.

I know that.

But do the Suns now never get a first round pick, or do they just wait till Atlanta doesn't get a top 3 pick

From NBA.com:

"The Suns will receive Atlanta's own first round pick no later than the 2008 NBA Draft. That pick which is "lottery" protected (1-14) in 2006, has protection through No. 3 in 2007 and has no protection in 2008."

The more I've thought about it, something tells me they're going to go for Durant. Just a gut feeling.

Still early and the feeling will probably go away, but I'm sure they'd love to have a dead-eye scorer for Roy to get the ball to. It depends on what they want to do with Randolph.

Once again, Chicago should be on the horn right now to see what it would take to get Randolph. He gives them a low post scorer, Portland doesn't exactly need him anymore. It works for both teams.

I hope the Hawks trade up a little with their pick. They need a point but Conly or law at 3 is way too high. With the 11th pick, just take the best big left.

Of course, none of this will happen and they will draft a 6'9 small forward.

Once again, Chicago should be on the horn right now to see what it would take to get Randolph. He gives them a low post scorer, Portland doesn't exactly need him anymore. It works for both teams.

No it doesn't work for Chicago. Randolph would not want to play for Skiles.

Putting up with the last half-decade or so of Jail Blazers crap is finally starting to pay off. Oden/Durant, Roy & Aldridge is one hell of a core to build around, Portland could be scary good in a couple of years time. Now if they can just find a sucker to pawn Darius Miles off to everything will be perfect.

Putting up with the last half-decade or so of Jail Blazers crap is finally starting to pay off. Oden/Durant, Roy & Aldridge is one hell of a core to build around, Portland could be scary good in a couple of years time. Now if they can just find a sucker to pawn Darius Miles off to everything will be perfect.

Well, they had a perfectly good sucker (Isiah Thomas) last year and the owner vetoed the trade.

No it doesn't work for Chicago. Randolph would not want to play for Skiles.

He probably wouldn't want to play for Mike Woodson either, but if Atlanta gave up the #3 pick, Marvin Williams and Tyronne Lue for Zbo and Rodriguiez, i wouldn't be angry. Then the Blazers could have Oden and fake Durant

Guest Vitamin X
Well I was debating whether to get Ducks football season tickets or Blazers season tickets and now it's definitely Blazers. I can't believe that actually happened. I skipped class to watch the Lottery and it was so fucking worth it. I didn't actually see the final envelope get opened because my roomates and I were outside chanting Greg Oden's name.

People were in love with D Miles but I think everyone here officially wishes he would die. The fans are sick of him, the media HATES him, hopefully management will just cut their losses. It does sound like the players still like him though. 21 wins 2 years ago, 32 this year. With a healthy Zbo and Roy + Oden and an improved Aldridge and Jack who knows. Playoffs? Soon, very soon.

Don't forget Pryzbilla, Lafrentz, Rodriguez, and Outlaw (hopefully they'll re-sign him, he looks like he was doing well with more minutes towards the end of the year) coming off the bench as well. It's a young team, but it's really stacked to make a playoff run and maybe a title run in the next few years.

Hibbert's staying in school

Probably the best move for him.

The best move if he is stupid. how exactly is his stock giong to get any higher. the longer he stays in college the more people realize how iffy of a pro he might be. Dumb dumb move by the kid.

I see it differently. I don't think he'll be any lower than that #12-15 pick range next year, which is probably where he would've fell this year. I don't know what crop of centers are coming for next year but I imagine that Hibbert will be closer to being the #1-2 center next year than the #3-4 center he was this year which would put him in the top-10 overall at least. Gives him a chance to improve his speed and quickness which seem to be knocks against him.

Hibbert is one of those players that becomes less special every time you see him because his flaws become more apparent. His stock is high right now and he should cash in on it, even if he ends up in the 10-15 range. I don't think he'll do himself any favors with another year of scrutiny.

Here's what I came up with through Chad Ford's draft machine. This doesn't factor in Hibbert pulling out.

1. Portland - Greg Oden, Ohio St.

2. Seattle - Kevin Durant, Texas

3. Atlanta - Mike Conley, Ohio St.

4. Memphis - Corey Brewer, Florida

5. Boston - Yi Jianlian, China

6. Milwaukee - Al Horford, Florida

7. Minnesota - Brandan Wright, UNC

8. Charlotte - Julian Wright, Kansas

9. Chicago - Spencer Hawes, Washington

10. Sacramento - Roy Hibbert, Georgetown

11. Atlanta - Joakim Noah, Florida

12. Philadelphia - Jeff Green, Georgetown

13. New Orleans - Al Thornton, Florida St.

14. LA Clippers - Acie Law, Texas A&M

Hibbert is one of those players that becomes less special every time you see him because his flaws become more apparent. His stock is high right now and he should cash in on it, even if he ends up in the 10-15 range. I don't think he'll do himself any favors with another year of scrutiny.

Fair enough, we'll see how it works out for him.

On another note, anyone catch the look on Doc Rivers' face when he saw they got the #5 pick? Priceless.

Today's Oregonian implies that Zach Randolph is as good as gone from Portland now. They mentioned the possibility of a three-way deal with Chicago and Seattle that would net them Rashard Lewis (in a sign and trade), or even a straight-up deal with New Jersey for Richard Jefferson. I'd be happy with both of those deals. I respect Randolph as a player, but I don't think that he fits into this team's long-term plan.

Hibbert has taken his name out of the draft.

Now for some Team USA news

USA Basketball Men's Senior National Team Managing Director Jerry Colangelo officially announced Wednesday in Las Vegas, Nev., the addition of

Carlos Boozer (Utah Jazz);

Tyson Chandler (New Orleans Hornets);

Kevin Durant (University of Texas);

Jason Kidd (New Jersey Nets);

Mike Miller (Memphis Grizzlies);

Greg Oden (Ohio State University);

Tayshaun Prince (Detroit Pistons); and

Deron Williams (Utah Jazz)

to the Senior National Team roster.