TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Roundtable Discussion

Guest Vitamin X

I knew that letting Fisher go was a big mistake. That's how Laker management rewarded one of the greatest Laker playoff moments ever? (0.4!!!!) Please. They didn't even have a replacement in mind, and while Fisher might not have been THE answer at the point, he would definitely be better than the other guys starting there lately. One of the first reasons I even considered jumping off the Laker train to begin with.

Word out of summer league is that Farmar is playing like absolute shit and Crittenton has been a pleasant surprise and might be what L.A. needs at the point. Oh, and that Sun Yue block is pretty sweet.

Javaris, Sun Yue, Jordan Farmar....all are talented players that aren't going to get a chance with the Lakers and the lakers system. All are players that would be light years better in other places. I kinda feel sorry for them.

And like I said earlier, the Lakers need Derek Fisher. Anyone with a problem with that signing knows shit about basketball honestly.

Rashard Lewis is getting 126. something million over the next 6 years. About 21 million average per year. Yeah he's not worth that.

That's just a disgusting amount of money for Rashard Lewis. He was the second best player on a team that just cracked 30 wins last year. I bet Orlando regrets this one before things are said and done.

That number is with alot of incentives. He is closer to 110. Somewhere around about 18 a year, although the numbers are staggered.

Eh....I don't have much of a problem with this signing honestly. He gives the Magic a offensive player that is a nightmare to matchup with, and I think with an emerging J.J. Redick and Travis Diener they could have quite the squad down in Orlando.

Billups got $46 million and he has a Finals MVP on his resume. Rashard got triple that for one All-Star appearance and a career average of 16.6 PPG. That's insane.

Gerald Wallace, who is probably about Lewis' equal, is going to get $57 million. Rashard's new contract might be the worst in a league full of terrible deals.

Guest Vitamin X

As expected, Steve Francis agreed on a buyout with the Blazers today. Where do you think he ends up?

Billups got $46 million and he has a Finals MVP on his resume. Rashard got triple that for one All-Star appearance and a career average of 16.6 PPG. That's insane.

Gerald Wallace, who is probably about Lewis' equal, is going to get $57 million. Rashard's new contract might be the worst in a league full of terrible deals.

Gerald Wallace is a better all around player honestly.

Billups is too.

Rashard is a 6'10 player that can play 3 positions, can shoot better than both of them combined, and fits Orlandos scheme. Bottomline is, if you want to make a splash in the free agency world, you have to over pay. And a 6'10 deadly shooter with point guard handles is something that you can over pay for.

Its not like people were lining up to go to Orlando and play BTW.

you want to know what's funny about that... I believe it was the Grizzlies' pick which got detroit Darko to begin with. They basically got their pick back, but without having to struggle through the embarressment of his first 4 years, listless uninterested play and lack of playing time, and no nagging questions about wade/melo/bosh. They basically got the guy they wanted all along.

This has to be the least interesting free agent period in recent memory. When teams are fighting over Mo Williams and limping corpse of Jamaal Magloire you know things are slow.

Heck, Steve Francis is considered a hot item now and the Blazers paid him $30 million just to go away.

Rockets trade Vassilis Spanoulis, 2009 2nd rounder, and some cash to the Spurs for Luis Scola and Jackie Butler. I'm praying Scola can be convinced to come over so the Rockets have a PF tall enough to reach the rim.

So really all the Blazers got for Randolph was Channing Frye and to dump a few salaries. Not saying Francis was worth keeping, but I wonder if they would have been better keeping Randolph and unloading him on someone at the trade deadline. It's not like trading him now got them any sort of high value. Guess they've certainly cleared up space to keep all their young guys if they develop as hoped.

So really all the Blazers got for Randolph was Channing Frye and to dump a few salaries. Not saying Francis was worth keeping, but I wonder if they would have been better keeping Randolph and unloading him on someone at the trade deadline. It's not like trading him now got them any sort of high value. Guess they've certainly cleared up space to keep all their young guys if they develop as hoped.

They need to get money to be able to resign all these young guys in like 2 years.

Plus, the only way to display Randolph was for him to get the majority of the touches, thus limiting the effectiveness of Oden and Aldridge for half a season.

Not worht it.

The Knicks owe $45 million plus in luxury tax. That's almost $40 million more than the next highest team (Mavs - $7 million). The only other teams responsible for the tax are the Spurs, Nuggets and T'Wolves.

The Knicks owe $45 million plus in luxury tax. That's almost $40 million more than the next highest team (Mavs - $7 million). The only other teams responsible for the tax are the Spurs, Nuggets and T'Wolves.

Are you sure thats correct? At the end of last year the Knicks shed like 40 million dollars in salary, and put them like 7 million or so in front of Dallas.

Mikki Moore to Sacramento, 3 yrs/$18 million

Steve Blake back to Portland, don't have the terms yet.

Guest Vitamin X

Seems that Rudy Fernandez signed a new deal in Spain, but apparently the agreement is flexible enough where he can still come and play in the NBA if he desires.

Also, it looks like the Cavaliers are busy pursuing Mike Bibby, while Yi is interested in becoming a Sacramento King himself.

So, steve blake DOESN'T want to get any playing time apparently. Because he is not getting more PT than Jack or Rodriguiez and would have been a starter in Denver. Mikki Moore...back to mediocrity for you. What the fuck was Sacramento thinking? Brad Miller, Spencer Hawes, Shareef, Kenny Thomas(does he still play?) and you add Mister "i am a product of Jason Kidd's vision" on the team.

Morris Petterson to the Hornets is a good signing.

Mikki Moore to Sacramento, 3 yrs/$18 million

wow

The going rate on backup centers has increased, I see.

They overpaid him for basically playing in that Nets frontcourt by himself for the last two months of that season - the rebounds had to go somewhere besides Kidd.

And I really don't get Portland's direction here, which is a three-year deal with Blake. They have to have about eighteen players under contact right now.

EDIT: Actually, it's now TWENTY with Blake (from ESPN):

LaMarcus Aldridge

Rudy Fernandez

Channing Frye

Taurean Green

Jarrett Jack

James Jones

Petteri Koponen

Raef LaFrentz

Jamaal Magloire

Josh McRoberts

Darius Miles

Greg Oden

Travis Outlaw

Joel Przybilla

Sergio Rodriguez

Brandon Roy

Luke Schenscher

Ime Udoka

Martell Webster

Guest Vitamin X

I'm fairly sure that Miles, Magloire and Udoka are gone, and the rest of the rookies are going to fight it out for a roster spot. Fernandez is also not a sure thing, so I could see that they would sign Blake as insurance.

Of those 20, I'd say the following are untouchable: Roy, Aldridge, Oden, Rodriguez, Frye, Jack since that's probably their top 6 in the rotation. Pryzbilla, Outlaw, Webster, Jones, Green/Koponen and Blake on the bench, giving them an incredibly deep (albeit inexperienced) team. I have no idea what they'll do with McRoberts (D-League? along with Koponen and Green?), LaFrentz (probably gone), and Schenscher (another D-Leaguer?).

Udoka is said to be getting pursued by the Spurs right now to back up Bruce Bowen. By the way, if the players I'm predicting to be gone actually are off the Blazers' roster by the beginning of the season, the oldest player on the team would be Joel Pryzbilla at the ripe old age of 28. He would be the only Blazer born in the 70s, also (just barely, 10/79). From then it would be Blake (2/80), Jones (10/80), Schenscher (12/31/82), Frye (5/83). The youngest Blazer is Peterri Koponen (4/88) who just barely beat out Oden (1/88). That's a ridiculously young team.

They overpaid him for basically playing in that Nets frontcourt by himself for the last two months of that season - the rebounds had to go somewhere besides Kidd.

And I really don't get Portland's direction here, which is a three-year deal with Blake. They have to have about eighteen players under contact right now.

EDIT: Actually, it's now TWENTY with Blake (from ESPN):

LaMarcus Aldridge

Rudy Fernandez

Channing Frye

Taurean Green

Jarrett Jack

James Jones

Petteri Koponen

Raef LaFrentz

Jamaal Magloire

Josh McRoberts

Darius Miles

Greg Oden

Travis Outlaw

Joel Przybilla

Sergio Rodriguez

Brandon Roy

Luke Schenscher

Ime Udoka

Martell Webster

Schenscher is gone. He is on the Timberwolves Summer League squad. I think Fernandez is staying overseas, at least for now, as he wasn't on the summer league roster. I would expect McRoberts and Taurean Green to make the squad, but being second round picks they could either a) not even get a contract or b) be stashed over in Europe for a season or two til a roster spot opens as the Knicks are planning on doing with Demetris Nichols.

Plus they are probably going to buy out Darius MIles eventually.

I just don't understand why a point guard would sign there.