TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Roundtable Discussion

McHale doesn't understand the concept of trading a guy a year too early instead of a year too late.

It's weird that Garnett has been so steadfast in wanting to remain with Minnesota his whole career and now he's got the franchise by the balls because he won't accept a trade anywhere except Phoenix.

Rumor coming out of LA is that the Pacers, Lakers and T-Wolves are working on a 3 way that would send Bynum and Odom to the Pacers, JO to the Wolves, and KG to the Lakers. Possible 4th team to be added in order to send filler to make it work for the Wolves. In the LA Times right here.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers...1&cset=true

Says in the article that we would offer an extension for KG, which he wants. HELL YEAH.

That would be a great deal if it wasn't for the fact that the Wolves would be giving up KG for Jermaine O'neil. Not giving them much cap space, they couldn't get any decent draft picks out of that trade and niether team has even decent filler players to add and O'Neil isn' that much younger than Garnett with a history of injury. The Lakers and Pacers get a damn good deal while Minnesota gets pretty well screwed. Especially considering the deal they almost got from Boston or the one that it looks like Phoenix is talking about giving(they are softening on giving up Amare).

That's why in the article it said they are looking to add a fourth team. I didn't take this rumor seriously until Hollinger said in his ESPN chat that KG would greenlight a trade to the Lakers. Now I believe it.

Maybe they could take some of Boston's young players and send them to Minnesota for O'Neal, and we could send Minnesota our pick. I don't know. It would be a convoluted mess of a deal, but I have to assume that KG has asked to be traded and it hasn't been reported yet, with all these rumors going around. Wouldn't make sense otherwise.

I don't know. It seems true, and there's some wiggle room. We'll see.

Oh I have no doubts that KG would want to go to LA, its just that neither the Pacers or the Lakers have the pieces to get him. Maybe Minny would take Odem and Bynum for KG, but I don't see them just taking Oneil, some high draft picks and some filler players that aren't better than the filler players they have now.

If I were the lakers i would cut the Pacers out of the equation. I mean, if they are going to give up Odem and Bynum, why not offer it up to Minnesota along with some draft picks. Minnesota would have to at least look at getting two quality big men back: a 20 year old center who you can build around, and a play making PF who can carry a offense.

Stole this from another site.

Chicago Tribune columnist Sam Smith (registration required): "All the particulars aren't established, but the basics are the Suns get Garnett, the Celtics get Shawn Marion and the Timberwolves get the No. 5 pick, the Hawks' unprotected first-round pick for next season, which the Suns hold, the Suns' two firsts this year (No. 24 and 29) and the expiring contracts of Kurt Thomas and Theo Ratliff."

It's Sam Smith so take it for what it's worth. I'd like to see the Wolves get one young player like Al Jefferson.

I just heard of ESPN Radio that it was Garnett to the Lakers, O'Neil to the Celtics, Jefferson to the T Wolves and Odom and Bynum to Indiana as a rumor.

Boston kinda really gets the shaft in that deal. Jefferson and #5 for Jermaine O'Neal? I know they're probably desperate to land a big name player since Pierce is supposedly ready to demand a trade if they don't, but this would be a pretty stupid thing to do.

Stole this from another site.

Chicago Tribune columnist Sam Smith (registration required): "All the particulars aren't established, but the basics are the Suns get Garnett, the Celtics get Shawn Marion and the Timberwolves get the No. 5 pick, the Hawks' unprotected first-round pick for next season, which the Suns hold, the Suns' two firsts this year (No. 24 and 29) and the expiring contracts of Kurt Thomas and Theo Ratliff."

It's Sam Smith so take it for what it's worth. I'd like to see the Wolves get one young player like Al Jefferson.

I doubt this will happen, but I'd like it. KG without losing Amare...well, that's just absurd (even if Marion is probably an all-around better player than Amare at this stage of his career). It's a weird deal for Minnesota, because it more clearly sacrifices next year than any trade I can remember, but it basically would mean that they'd have three 1st-round picks this year, two in '08, and $20 million coming off the books to take any free agent they wanted after this season. Still, it doesn't help eliminate their glut of lousy mid-level contracts--if they could dump at least, say, Marko Jaric or Troy Hudson on somebody (or one to Phoenix, one to Boston?), it would be very hard to pass up. Not sure how you sell tickets to the Ricky Davis, Trenton Hassell, and Corey Brewer show, though.

Rumor from Chad Ford is this.

Minny gets Gerald Green, 5, 19, Telfair, Theo, Kwame

Lakers get Jaric and KG

Indy gets Bynum and Odom

Boston gets Jermaine O'Neal

I read that if this deal doesn't work out then the Lakers will cut out the other parties and get it done by themselves. Buss talked to the T-Wolves owner and they left it for the GM's to make fit. That's a great sign.

Boston gives up the number 5 pick, gerald grean and telfair for Jermaine Oneal. Thats more realistic, although I still wouldn't make that trade if I was Boston. Oneal and Jefferson works HOW?

Guest Flyboy
Bonzi Wells will not opt out of his contract and will stay with the Rockets.

Hopefully he'll improve with Adelman as coach.

Word in LA is that KG has been trying to get in contact with Kobe Bryant to find out if he will stay in LA if KG gets traded here. Glen Taylor is expected to make a decision on the trade Tuesday morning.

Guest Vitamin X

I think having Kevin Garnett and Kobe Bryant on the same team is a really good idea. Garnett is only a bit older, and they can win a championship, or at least contend for one, sooner rather than later. Of course, the big issue here is, how exactly do they plan on solving, you know, the biggest problem the Lakers have had over the past couple seasons, which is their play at point? even with KG and Kobe, who's going to be passing the ball to them? Farmar? Seriously?

Now that Billups is a free agent, maybe the Lakers will go after him. If they do, then I'll proclaim it over and just hand them the O'Brien. That would be a starting five to be reckoned with, even if they do lose some depth in the long run anyways.

Guest Vitamin X

Don't even have to do that.

Anyone want Chauncey Billups? He just opted out of his contract and is now a free agent.

We're too far over the cap to give him big money. He'd have to take the MLE and I doubt he'd want that.

He's opting out to get more money from Detroit now. It's a matter of the amount of leverage he'll have next year when all of the big contracts expire. If he finishes the last year of the contract, he goes into a free agent pool next summer that could potentially contain Duncan, KG, Arenas, Carter, Marion, Iverson, J-O'Neal, Brand, Maggette, Marbury, Artest and Jamison (all players with player options or are on the last year of their contract).

only a couple teams have the cap room to make him a real offer, and Detroit has his "Bird rights".

I dont recall exactly but if Milwaukee and Orlando renounce some of their free agent option guys, they would have the room to make an offer, and there are a few others I think. However, the Lakers are not part of that group. Any other team requires a sign and trade. the scuttlebutt is that the Pistons will offer him 13 mil a year.

Was it any good? Shaq is a funny guy.

Well the KG to LA talks have come to a halt. It seems like they are now working on a three way with KG going to Phoenix, Jefferson and the 5th pick to Minny, and Marion to Boston as the main pieces. They are trying to get Marion to extend in Boston for it to work.