TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alfdogg

NBA Roundtable Discussion

Did anyone catch John Hollinger's rankings of the 60 teams to play in the NBA Finals since the merger? With the exception of the first 10, you have to have Insider. But here were the top teams:

1. 96 Bulls

2. 87 Lakers

3. 86 Celtics

4. 91 Bulls

5. 97 Bulls

6. 85 Lakers

7. 92 Bulls

8. 99 Spurs

9. 83 76ers

10. 89 Pistons

Anyone actually have Insider that would like to post the rest of the list?

Apparently Lamar Odom doesn't want to go to the Pacers. I wouldn't be opposed to sending Odom to Utah and bringing in Kirilenko instead, if any trade goes down.

He won't want to go to Utah either, his reasons are location related. He also said that if they give him a 3 year extension that he will have no problem with it.

Stan Van Gundy was offered the head coaching position with the Orlando Magic Tuesday. However, he flew out to Sacramento to meet with the Kings brass again. One might infer that he would be leaning towards taking that job, but we'll see.

I did the SportsNation "rank the last 30 champs" poll. Here's how I ranked them:

1. 1996 Bulls

2. 1986 Celtics

3. 1983 76ers

4. 1987 Lakers

5. 1997 Bulls

6. 1989 Pistons

7. 2001 Lakers

8. 1991 Bulls

9. 1992 Bulls

10. 2000 Lakers

11. 1980 Lakers

12. 1999 Spurs

13. 1998 Bulls

14. 1985 Lakers

15. 1982 Lakers

16. 1990 Pistons

17. 1988 Lakers

18. 1981 Celtics

19. 1984 Celtics

20. 1993 Bulls

21. 1994 Rockets

22. 2005 Spurs

23. 2003 Spurs

24. 2002 Lakers

25. 2004 Pistons

26. 1979 Supersonics

27. 1995 Rockets

28. 1977 Trailblazers

29. 2006 Heat

30. 1978 Bullets

That's awfully high for the 2000 Lakers. The fact that it took an utter collapse by a superior team to even get them in the finals kind of reflects poorly on them. I don't know how you could have them ahead of the 2003 Spurs, who absolutely steamrolled through everybody on their way to the title.

Rest of the list is solid for the most part.

I already submitted the "official" list, but looking it over again afterwards, that was the team that I knew I probably messed up on. I probably put too much stock in their regular season record (67-15).

I'd say so given the track record of college coaches in the NBA. Plus I thought Stan did a good job in Miami and only got booted because Shaq wanted Riley to coach the team instead. It's a solid choice for Orlando.

Along with D-Wade, Stan turned a very bad Heat team into a second-round playoff team. Definitely a good pick-up for the Magic, though I have no idea what the hell Donovan's thinking.

Something's a little fishy with the whole Donovan thing. I know that people change their minds, but within a span of about 30 hours he went from ecstatic to running from the job as fast as he could. You don't give up $27.5 million, an NBA head coaching job in your backyard and instant fame because of a change of heart.

maybe he was blackmailed with pictures of him with little boys?

disclaimer: this is speculation based on nothing but my own amusement with nothing to back it up - i do not think donovon fucks little boys.

Well Orlando would be child molester heaven.

I think we might have stumbled on to something here.

According to ESPN, Minnesota will trade Mike James back to the Rockets in exchange for Juwan Howard.

According to ESPN, Minnesota will trade Mike James back to the Rockets in exchange for Juwan Howard.

I'll give you my shit if you give me your shit.

That being said, good trade for the Rockets.

Definitely a good deal for the Rockets. James always brought a spark off the bench, which is something the Rockets really need. It does leave Houston a little shallow at the forward positions, but I'm hoping this means they're looking to make a move for Rashard Lewis. And let's face it, Juwan's gettting up there in years and is a pretty expendable piece at this point.

Who the hell decided to give Steve Francis 15 million a year? How does that happen? NBA salaries are just broken.

The NBA salary system is so screwed up. Baseball essentially has no cap and it does just fine. The NFL has the strictest cap imaginable and it works great. The NBA tries to combine the two and creates a bastardized mess. I think it's the biggest issue affecting the quality and competitiveness of the game today (well that, and the ridiculously long playoffs, but that's another rant).

I never understand those trades. Delfino is obviously better than anyone you are going to find in the second round in either of those years. Not using him is part of the reason they lost.

I never understand those trades. Delfino is obviously better than anyone you are going to find in the second round in either of those years. Not using him is part of the reason they lost.

I'm assuming it was done to get a little extra money off the books for when they re-sign Billups/McDyess. Delfino is going to make close to 2 mil next year, and they need all the cap space they can get. I think a pair of second rounders is fair value, you can ALWAYS find good players in the second round.

Great trade for Toronto.

not a big fan of that trade, but flip saunders was too stupid to use him correctly anyways, he seemed to think the best use was for delfino to float around the wing waiting for a pass to shoot an open 3. that wasn't going to change this season.

It's from the NY Post, so take it for what it's worth, but the Wizards and Suns are reportedly discussing a Marion-for-Jamison swap.

Its from the NY post.

"Lets trade marion for a guy whose salary will still put us over the cap, give us maybe 2 more points a game, fewer rebounds, fewer steals, fewer blocks, and can't play defense."

No....no, I don't think its the best deal.

Maybe Jamison, the rights to Oleksiy Pecherov and Andray Blatche plus picks for Marion then they could talk.

Gotta love Anthony Andersen in that picture...

So, who else thinks the rumored Garnett to the Celtics trade is ridiculous? Garnett for Gerald Green, Al Jefferson, Sebastian Telfair, Theo Ratliff and the 5th pick.

Jefferson and Green have too much upside to dump already, let alone together with Telfair, the crazy Ratliff contract and the 5th pick in a loaded draft. I rather take my chances dealing a lesser portion of this deal for a lesser veteran. I don't think Garnett joining the Celtics, who are giving up all those pieces, would be enough to make the team a contendor. They'd probably be a 6-8 seed still. I think any team going for Garnett needs to be a team in the position to win right now, because I think he only has so many "dominant" years left.

EDIT: Just saw this was already being discussed in the Kobe thread, sorry.