2006 in review...

Guest poilbrun

Wrestler of the year: John Cena

Tag-team/Stable of the year: DX

Match of the year: HBK vs MR McMahon at WM 22

Best heel: Edge

Best face: Rey Mysterio

Most improved wrestler: CM Punk

Quote of the year: DAMN! Edit: I just thought about another one 10 times better: Joey Styles during Striker's entrance during D2D, talking about Striker having a picture of himself on the back of his trunks: "You've got to wonder about a guy who wants to sit on his own face"

Markout moment of the year: Trish going out of WWE with a sharpshooter on Lita in front of a Toronto crowd going crazy

Funniest moment of the year: DX impersonation of the McMahons and the "full of crap" segment

Worst moment of the year: RVD suspension and the way it was presented on TV

Worst wrestler of the year: The Great Khali

Best brand: RAW

Worst brand: ECW

Best PPV: WM 22

Worst PPV: D2D

Biggest disappointment: D2D - I had great hopes when first hearing that ECW would get a PPV and it turned out to be terrible. No build-up except for the main event, the best match by two non-ECW tag teams, uninteresting matches (Balls vs Striker, Couple in Trouble vs Vampires), the destruction of an ECW original by Daivari & Khali and the worst ever elimination chamber. The fact that it lead to Heyman's dismissal does not help either.

Don't question their blind smarkdom! He is the IWC's beloved wrestler, he doesn't HAVE to put on great matches or the likes to be wrestler of the year

(Please notice my tongue in cheek position)

Wrestler of the year: Edge

Tag-team/Stable of the year: King Booker's Court

Match of the year: Edge vs. Mick Foley (Wrestlemania 22)

Best face: CM Punk

Most improved wrestler: Edge

Quote of the year: "You're out of my life you washed up piece of crap, yeah!" - Mick Foley

Markout moment of the year: Joey Styles quits (Raw - 05/01)

Funniest moment of the year: "Hunter the Barbarian" (Wrestlemania 22)

Worst moment of the year: The return of DX.

Worst wrestler of the year: The Boogeyman

Best brand: Smackdown!

Worst brand: Raw

Best PPV: ECW One Night Stand

Worst PPV: ECW December to Dismember

Biggest disappointment: ECW December to Dismember

Match of the year: Edge vs. Mick Foley (WM 22)

Best heel: Booker T

Best face: John Cena

Most improved wrestler: Johnny Nitro

Quote of the year: "That rogue Batista could not beat King Booker at the SummerSlam games" -Booker T

Markout moment of the year: Trish defeating Lita for the WWE Women's Championship in her final match

Funniest moment of the year: HHH looking like Conan the Barbarian

Worst moment of the year: The Zombie starting off the "new" ECW

Worst wrestler of the year: The Great Khali

Best brand: Smackdown!

Best PPV: WrestleMania 22

Worst PPV: December to Dismember

Biggest disappointment: The entire idea to bring back ECW

Tag-team/Stable of the year: Brian Kendrick and Paul London

Match of the year: Chris Benoit vs. Finlay (Judgment Day)

Best face: CM Punk (isn't he exactly what a babyface should be?)

Most improved wrestler: Bobby Lashley

Quote of the year: Edge cracked me up several times. Especially when he was looking at the Summerslam poster and says something like "And there in the back is Cena, looking like an idiot as usual."

Markout moment of the year: CM Punk makes his debut in Madison Square Garden.

Funniest moment of the year: DX gives Eugene some bounty.

Worst moment of the year: DX has a bunch of midgets moon the Spirit Squad and McMahons.

Worst wrestler of the year: The "Great" Khali

Best brand: Smackdown

Best PPV: Wrestlemania 22

Worst PPV: I didn't see that many this year, and I liked the ones I did see. November To Dismember sounds like the shittiest one.

Biggest disappointment: Rey Mysterio's main event push.

Match of the year: Angle/Taker, No Way Out

Best face: CM Punk

Most improved wrestler: Carlito

Quote of the year: Don't have the exact quote, but the remark HHH's made about Cena's biggest move is being able to pump his Reeboks.

Markout moment of the year: I finally saw in person the Undertaker's entrance as the Deadman, something I always wanted to do since I was little.

Funniest moment of the year: The mumbling Khali promos.

Worst moment of the year: Pretty much all the lame DX/McMahon segments.

Worst wrestler of the year: The Great Khali.

Worst brand: ECW, but Raw took a big dive too.

Best PPV: Wrestlemania

Worst PPV: I only saw Wrestlemania.

Biggest disappointment: The new ECW.

Guest poilbrun
CM Punk as the most improved?

More like rookie of the year. I can't see any wrestling apart from WWE here in Belgium, so he started as a nobody to a potential world champion (would have been if the crowd got what they wanted).

He is neither a rookie nor has he greatly improved.

Wow. Lack of knowledge. Punk has been around for some time now, I'm thinking in like '98 or close by is when he started. Definitely not a rookie. But, he is a "rookie" in WWE standards. Because you're career hasn't started until you've wrestled for them.

Watch some of his RoH stuff, you'll see he hasn't improved, he's always been good.

Wrestler of the year: Edge - the guy is just fun to watch.

Tag-team/Stable of the year: London/Kendrick - not much competition but these guys are good anyway.

Best heel: Edge - runner ups are Booker and Striker.

Best face: Rey Mysterio - This one was tough, CM Punk has only done stuff in the past few weeks and faces were weak in general this year.

Most improved wrestler: Chris Masters - Compared to his debut the guy has come miles.

Markout moment of the year: Edge getting the title after the Elimination chamber

Funniest moment of the year: Booker T claiming Teddy Long was racist for putting him in a match with Lashley.

Worst moment of the year: Anything involving DX

Worst wrestler of the year: HHH - because he is the leader of DX and DX is juvenile crap.

Best brand: Smackdown - Good wrestling and lots of it, Booker, Benoit, London/Kendrick, etc

Worst brand: Raw - Cena, DX, juvenile skits over wrestling horrible main events, too much "sports entertainment."

Biggest disappointment: Edge losing the title back quickly and being back out of the title picture.

Wow. Lack of knowledge. Punk has been around for some time now, I'm thinking in like '98 or close by is when he started. Definitely not a rookie. But, he is a "rookie" in WWE standards. Because you're career hasn't started until you've wrestled for them.

Watch some of his RoH stuff, you'll see he hasn't improved, he's always been good.

Come on, he said he only gets access to WWE television in the country he lives in, just because you get to see other shows he has been on, to put it into context, if a young English wrestler who had been on the scene about 8 years debuted in the WWE, you'd all refer to him as a rookie because you haven't seen him before. Whereas I have.

Come on, he said he only gets access to WWE television in the country he lives in, just because you get to see other shows he has been on, to put it into context, if a young English wrestler who had been on the scene about 8 years debuted in the WWE, you'd all refer to him as a rookie because you haven't seen him before. Whereas I have.

Depends on what scene he came from. If he wrestled for a major indy promotion in England (and if he did why didn't he ever work in American or Japan??) then he would probably be known around here. CM Punk was World Champion in the top indy in the U.S.

Tag-team/Stable of the year: Kendrick/London

Match of the year: Edge/Foley wm22

Best face: Mysterio

Most improved wrestler: Masters

Quote of the year: Dont know

Markout moment of the year: Edge cashing in the money in the bank

Funniest moment of the year: Khali trying to speak on the microphone :D

Worst moment of the year: Piper/Flair winning tag titles

Worst wrestler of the year: Khali

Best PPV: Mania

Biggest disappointment: No new GM on Raw after all the hype

Mark-out moment of the year: Edge FINALLY becoming the WWE Champion / Booker T getting the title again

Match of the year: Besides Angle / Undertaker, I have to put Cena / Helmsley. Great match from start to finish!

Biggest disappointment: Rey Mysterio as World Champion / WWECW

Franchise,

I understand what you're saying. However, he's on the internet, on a internet wrestling forum. It should become apparent quite quickly who is who, etc.

Guest poilbrun
Franchise,

I understand what you're saying. However, he's on the internet, on a internet wrestling forum. It should become apparent quite quickly who is who, etc.

I totally agree with you on my lack of knowledge, and I'm only on this forum for like two weeks, so I'm still getting to grips with wrestling outside of WWE. I downloaded the last two TNA Impact (I was not very impressed, though I will try to see a few more before making a judgment) to broaden my experiences. Also, you don't see me posting in other parts of the forums, because I only know WWE, so of course my decisions will only be based on WWE.

As for CM Punk, as I said, among the wrestlers I saw, he's the one who has progressed most this year. I don't agree with most people's opinion on Edge: he became WWE Champion in early January, was in a great match at WM in April and where is he now? Teaming up with Orton against DX. While I like DX (once again, contrary to general opinion it seems), I find it ok for HHH and Michaels at this point in their career, ok for non-wrestlers like the McMahons or low-carders like the SS. For two young, upcoming superstars, I don't really see a feud against DX as moving forward. So basically I have to choose between CM Punk, who I first saw in June and who was in the running for a world title in December, and Edge, who held the title at the beginning of the year and is not even in the picture right now. Sorry, I do for Punk (though I may have chosen Edge for wrestler of the year, simply not for most improved).

Sorry I felt like defending myself, but no hard feelings here ;)

And Franchise, thanks for coming to my defense! :)

None taken. If it came off like I was attacking, I appoligise.

I highly recommend looking into some RoH (Ring of Honor) http://www.rohwrestling.com/ - they are the end all be all of indie wrestling today. They've groomed superstars out of Danielson, Joe, Punk, Christopher Daniels, and many others.

Guest Anubis

Tag-team/Stable of the year: Degeneration X

Match of the year: Cena/Edge at Unforgiven (I still have to see the Armageddon TLC though)

Best face: John Cena, Rey Mysterio

Most improved wrestler: Jeff Hardy

Quote of the year: "Yes, you were the champion, Edge, congratulations on that. The bad thing is: I took a nap for a few minutes and I missed the whole thing." -- HHH on RAW somewhat between the Rumble and WM

Markout moment of the year: Edge cashing in his MitB and becoming Champ on NYR (My, that was one awesome moment to be remembered!), Trish winning in Montreal with the Sharpshooter

Funniest moment of the year: DX impersonate the McMahons on RAW

Worst moment of the year: The 2 hours following the opener at December2Dismember, K-Fed on my TV, Lita not being honored after her final match

Worst wrestler of the year: Puh, that one's hard to decide. K-Fed isn't a wrestler really, so I'll pick the (Not so) Great Khali.

Best brand: RAW for most of the year

Worst brand: Clearly ECW

Best PPV: WrestleMania, Unforgiven

Biggest disappointment: Hogan beating Orton (Although it seemed obvious before the PPV, that was absolutely sickening to me), the new WWECW not being able to build up a second fair PPV in one year, Edge being stripped of the title after 3 weeks, most of the PPVs were little disappointments, too.

Anubis, Trish won in Toronto with the Sharpshooter at Unforgiven. Raw was in Montreal the next night, and since she was retired, then obviously she wasnt there.

Guest Kesh

Tag-team/Stable of the year: London/Kendrick

Match of the year: Edge vs Flair- TLC match for the WWE Title

Best face: Rey Mysterio & RVD

Quote of the year: anything JBL said on commentary

Markout moment of the year: Edge winning the title at NYR, cause I was there!

Funniest moment of the year: ehhh as much as i dislike DX skits, probably when they impersonated the McMahons

Worst moment of the year: Rey being squashed by Khali, no way to book ur champ

Best PPV: Wrestlemania 22........ ONS II Judgement Day Vengeance were all pretty solid too

Biggest disappointment: WWE putting the title back on Cena at Unforgiven, really would have liked to see Edge continue with the belt

Wrestler of the year: Finlay

Match of the year: Taker/Angle(NWO)

Best heel: Mr Kennedy

Best face: RVD

Quote of the year: Any JBL quote

Markout moment of the year: Edge winning WWE championship at NYR

Worst moment of the year: Edge losing title at Royal Rumble

Best PPV:Wrestlemania

Biggest disappointment: DX

Wrestler of the year: Edge, hands down. He's had a fantastic year, delivering in pretty much all the PPVs he's been on. Two WWE Titles, great Title matches, this is truly Edge's year.

Tag-team/Stable of the year: London & Kendrick. Exciting matches, great PPV outings, good and long Title reign. Their competition hasn't been the greatest but what can you do. Nice to see WWE somewhat allowing them to go balls out in the ring for a change.

Match of the year: I'll go with Edge vs Foley from WM22. Others I strongly liked are Taker vs Angle (NWO), Edge vs RVD (Vengeance), and Cena vs Edge TLC match (Unforgiven). I'm dying to watch the ladder match from Armaggeddon.

Best heel: Edge. Also a no-brainer for me. King Booker would come second, along with Finlay.

Best face: Rey Mysterio.

Most improved wrestler: Johnny Nitro. From good tag team performer to good mid-level Title singles wrestler.

Quote of the year: None really come to mind.

Markout moment of the year: Rey winning the Royal Rumble. The Rockers reuniting for one night. Edge's spear on Mick Foley through the flaming table at WM22.

Funniest moment of the year: DX impersonating Shane & Vince McMahon.

Worst moment of the year: RVD being arrested, leading to his jobbing of both the ECW and WWE Titles. I had hoped that RVD would rebound from this, but it seems WWE is not allowing him to.

Worst wrestler of the year: The Great Khali. What a piece of crap.

Best brand: Smackdown.

Worst brand: Sadly, ECW by default. Although I've liked them most of the time.

Best PPV: WrestleMania 22. Followed closely by Unforgiven.

Worst PPV: D2D.

Biggest disappointment: Kurt Angle's problems leading to his departure from WWE. RVD's continuing punishment.