TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AmericanDragon

Children of Men

What a dreadful movie. I just could not accept the basic premise for this movie and the subsequent aftermath/events that followed. The actors did a superb job and the cinematography was amazing. I simply cannot accept the underlying theme and events of the movie. It just seems far fetched.

You've been here for a while. I can only assume that you joined TSM because you like(d) wrestling. Yet you call the plot for this movie far-fetched? Do you even understand what the word "fiction" means?

I *do* understand the definition of the word fiction. I just like to suspend belief while I am being entertained. I just couldn't believe that,

the world would go insane because human beings could no longer reproduce. I guess I am placing my probable reactions to the situation on the rest of the world, and, a flu pandemic or some mystery virus would cause universal infertility.

I just couldn't grasp these ideas. The producers of this movie were obviously attempting to make some political point. The plot just seem out there, even for a movie.

I *do* understand the definition of the word fiction. I just like to suspend belief while I am being entertained. I just couldn't believe that,

the world would go insane because human beings could no longer reproduce. I guess I am placing my probable reactions to the situation on the rest of the world, and, a flu pandemic or some mystery virus would cause universal infertility.

I just couldn't grasp these ideas. The producers of this movie were obviously attempting to make some political point. The plot just seem out there, even for a movie.

I think it's a pretty logical reaction, albeit exaggerated.

No reproduction means the end of the human race, completely. No future for your children, a guarantee that things will only get worse as major cities and resources are essentially shut down. For the religious, it means the end of days. For many people, not being able to procreate means no real meaning for their existance. An Archduke got assassinated, and World War 1 started. It is our nature to over-react and go insane.

They weren't making a political point, they were making a very valid point about human nature. I just can't agree with your criticism of the film.

I don't think that it's outlandish to think that people would be shittin' bricks and freakin' out if reproduction was no longer possible. No reproduction means no future. When the youngest person alive is 18 years old, that doesn't leave much hope for the continuation of the human race. If there's no future, there's nothing to hope for, so what's the point of being a humanitarian? Thus, Social Darwinism takes control and only the strong survive. Because Britain was able to maintain some semblance of control when every other nation fell, that would make them, in their mind, the superior race which would cause them to become fiercly nationalistic and xenophobic. However, there are people like Miriam and Jasper who cling to hope and seek to try to preserve that hope. Theo gets involved with this humanitarian effort because he's a good guy and he's experienced the discontinuation of the race firsthand (his son dying due to the flu pandemic). I thought the movie was quite realistic, especially since the vision of the future presented therin wasn't full of futuristic "Jetsons-esque" gadgets and flying cars and lots of robots.

And I don't think it was ever said in the movie what caused the infertility. It was speculated upon, but never revealed, which, I imagine would increase the level of fear and paranoia.

Edit: Damn you, Tommy Tomlin...you usurped me.

...and this is why you'll never be President.

I finally got the chance to see this film last night, and my god it was fantastic! It was just so intense and emotional that I literally had to compose myself when leaving the theatre. This is a real science fiction film, showing people and their world through an alter reality. The remark has been made that the world would not collapse as much as it did. I think that this was fitting to a tee. This is a race that is essentially dying, of course their world is going to be bleak and hopeless.

As for the ending, I thought it was very fitting to the film. It doesn't show you what happened, but it gives you enough to know what did happen.

This film made me want to cry, rage, and smile sometimes all at once. Any film that can do that earns my respect. This will be a film I will by ASAP on DVD and cherish it.

I just bought and watched this flick. Pretty fucking awesome, and seemingly overlooked movie of 2006.

The end was kind of abrupt.

so at the end when the girl sees the boat, is that even the boat she is hoping for, or is it just some random boat?" It almost just looks like a mere fishing boat or something, which would mean that the Human Care group or whatever their name is, either never existed or they were just too late!?!

I just bought and watched this flick. Pretty fucking awesome, and seemingly overlooked movie of 2006.

so at the end when the girl sees the boat, is that even the boat she is hoping for, or is it just some random boat?" It almost just looks like a mere fishing boat or something, which would mean that the Human Care group or whatever their name is, either never existed or they were just too late!?!

So throughout the whole movie they've been talking about a boat called the Tomorrow and when a boat with Tomorrow in huge letters comes in at the end you think it's a fishing boat?

Just about to say that.

I liked the movie, but I wasn't floored by it. I was floored by some of those continuous shots, and either they used some of the more clever editing I have ever seen or they pulled off something amazing there.

Just about to say that.

I liked the movie, but I wasn't floored by it. I was floored by some of those continuous shots, and either they used some of the more clever editing I have ever seen or they pulled off something amazing there.

So throughout the whole movie they've been talking about a boat called the Tomorrow and when a boat with Tomorrow in huge letters comes in at the end you think it's a fishing boat?

Bwahahahaha, my bad, I think I must have missed it, or looked away or something. I just re-watched that part at the boat CLEARLY says Tomorrow on it...LOL.