TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CBright7831

TSM Consensus: How was 2006?

For me, 2006 was a very mixed year. I had a lot of lows and a lot of highs. For the positive (I won't mention negatives): I got a life, started school, made a lot of close friends and hung out with many different groups of people. 2006 ended on a bad note, however, but you have to learn from your mistakes and move on.

So, how was 2006 for you?

Awesome. A couple good relationships this year, made good money with two different jobs, school went very well, sister got married and good fun stuff all around.

Same as any fucking year. Didn't meet any new women, didn't get a significant raise at work, still barely not failing out of school, oh and Grandma passed away which crushed me spiritually, so overall it was a pretty shitty year, but only slightly shittier then most years because of the grandma thing.

The first three months were pretty great, then spring really sucked, and the last six months were uneventful for the most part.

So on a scale from 1 to 10, I'd give this year a 6.

Guest Princess Leena

A year of drastic change. If you asked me 18 months ago that I'd be where I am now, I'd laugh in your face.

Rough. It's probably going to be a year I look back on down the road and realize it was perhaps a necessary kick in the pants to change things. My longest romantic relationship came to a fuzzy end at the outset of summer, something I still let get to me here and there. I totaled my car and subsequently, had to take on higher insurance rates and car payments (my previous car had been paid for). One of my best friends just let us know he's going into the Air Force, which obviously puts a strain on the friendship. Most importantly, my mom had a brain aneurysm in October, which forced me to grow up overnight in many respects and left me living alone for the first time in my life.

It's still tough to deal with at times, but things are coming together nicely and perspective is needed. Much as I loved her, my ex and I weren't really compatible and staying together just delayed the inevitable. I liked my car, but was considering getting a new one, anyway. And living on my own as something I had planned to do within the next year, anyway. It's happening earlier and under different circumstances, but it's still a change that will be for the best.

2006 wasn't good by any means, but it made me realize my priorities sucked and that you're not doing something right if you aren't continuing to grow as an individual.

Guest Vitamin X

Drastic change here as well. Moving out of state never even crossed my mind until my cat got sick earlier this year, something which was also totally unexpected. I came to Miami with the mindset of just settling down, finishing school, and then moving back to the west coast somehow, and take it from there. But the more I thought about that future, how much just my BA was going to cost me at the school I was at, and my career prospects after graduating from that school, the whole reality of where I was, both literally and in life, set in and I knew I had to get the fuck out of Miami and go to a different school.

And it's funny because, I'm here for now, but in a couple years when I finish, I have no idea whether I'm staying or whether I will finally come full circle and end up back in L.A., or go to NY (if I luck out and get accepted to Tisch for my Master's in Film).

I wish I could remember things that happened in the first three quarters.

But with the culmative effects of technology and entertainment I'd say it was the best year ever.

Guest Legalise Drugs and Murder

I was sober a remarkable 350+ days. Destroyed and repaired a relationship with the girl I intend to get hitched to. Changed my musical outlook drastically, as it pertains to my own writing and performing. Marvelous year.

Really good year. Finished my M.A. and was actually proud of my final product, got a good-paying job and a nice place to live, saw a bunch of great concerts, and charmed a healthy handful of women with my masculine wiles. Maybe most importantly, this was the year I really learned how to cook. Happiness is just a skillet away.

My year was a series of highs and lows. The highs was that I finally graduated college and got a teaching job which is going pretty well. The bad was that my relationship ended with my girlfriend of 3 years because she couldn't handle the distance apart, even though we saw each other nearly every weekend and talked nearly everyday.

Finally started to earn some decent money, which was a blessing for my bank account. Outside of losing the girlfriend it was saying goodbye to many of my friends since many of us have spread throughout the country now, ranging from Minneapolis, Phoenix, Kansas City, Des Monies, Lincoln, and Las Vegas.

Hopefully, 2007 will end on a higher note for me.

How many of us got engaged over christmas? I did, NoCal, Leena, smitty mentioned something like that up there, too.

That shit was smooth. "Hey, I just finished the most exciting game ever. Wanna get married?"

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah, no kidding, specially after being the one that wins the game.

I couldn't think of a better way to do it. Girl got interviewed after the game too, quite the giddy little cheerleader.

2006 was a mixed bag for me. In general, school went well, but it also involved me finding out that I needed at least an extra semester to get everything in, so that was annoying.

I got flooded out of my house for almost a month back in May-June. That was irritating.

My best friend's dad suddenly died from a stroke in January. That was also very difficult.

Good times included a basic quality throughout the rest of the year, including a good camping vacation and going to three wrestling events and Jim Gaffigan.

Stop, start, stop, start. Some great nights, some bad nights - terrifying alcohol consumption. I swear it off but I'm back on it. Went back to University, developed laziness, had a fortnight long relationship, finally discovering sexuality(?)...

I should mention Radiohead's Bonnaroo set back in June was the highlight of the year for me. It was awesome like Bill Elliott.

Mine was pretty good. Started my own business, which is exciting, and going well so far. Don't miss my old job, though I do actually miss some of the people I work with. We also moved into our first house, which definitely beats apartment dwelling.

My grandfather passed away in June, but he was 86 and had a good life, so it's hard to be too upset about it.