TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SilverPhoenix

College Hoops 1/1/07 - 1/14/07

And so another Year has passed, and another year is upon us. This means one thing for College Hoops Fans. Time for the season to really begin. The out of Conference Season is about over, and the conference seasons are about to begin. There are many interesting stories this year, and the race for bids begins in earnest, now more than ever. This year is going to be really competitive, as teams from over 12 -15 conferences are going to be making cases for a bid this year.

As par for the course with Janurary, the bi-weekly threads start now, and will continue through March. And to kick this off...the Top 25 Polls.

AP Top 25

1. UCLA (71)

2. North Carolina (1)

3. Florida

4. Wisconsin

5. Duke

6. Ohio St.

7. Arizona

8. Alabama

9. Kansas

10. Pittsburgh

11. Texas A&M

12. Oklahoma St.

13. Butler

14. LSU

15. Marquette

16. Oregon

17. Notre Dame

18. Connecticut

19. Tennessee

20. Air Force

21. Nevada

22. Memphis

23. Clemson

24. Washington

25. West Virginia

USA Today/ESPN

1. UCLA (31)

2. North Carolina

3. Florida

4. Wisconsin

5. Duke

6. Ohio St.

7. Arizona

8. Alabama

9. Kansas

10. Pittsburgh

11. Texas A&M

12. Oklahoma St.

13. Butler

14. Connecticut

15. Nevada

16. Air Force

17. Oregon

18. Clemson

19. LSU

20. Washington

21. Marquette

22. Notre Dame

23. Memphis

24. Michigan St.

25. Tennessee

Guest Princess Leena

Dook sucks this year. :(

PG play is still weak. Nelson can't defend a fly.

And more ranked teams go down in flames.

Georgetown beats Notre Dame 66-48

Alabama gets its ass kicked....again, this time Arkansas does the honors by 28 88-60.

Any time that Duke gets beat it's a beautiful thing, especially when they lose at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

UCLA should move to 4 and the top 3 all move up one...the Badgers should ahead for that sweet Alando Tucker alleyoop alone.

Guest Princess Leena
Any time that Duke gets beat it's a beautiful thing, especially when they lose at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

:rolleyes:

Go against the norm, and don't be a Dook hater.

Too bad Dukie V missed his beloved Blue Devils losing at home.

He was too busy watching LSU overcome a bad 1st half to spank UConn.

UConn this year reminds me of U of L from last year, in that they beat a bunch of jobbers at home and then were completely unprepared for conf. play.

By the way, the Missouri Valley right now is the #2 league in the RPI and has 7 teams in the top 50. I eagerly await the Billy Packer meltdown when they get like 6 bids.

When OJ Mayo comes in next year, this USC team is going to be loaded. I thought they'd be a bubble team and get into the tournament, but what I've seen so far has led me to believe they'll get in comfortably.

How does Oregon beat previously unbeaten # 1 UCLA and only move up 1 spot even with a loss to USC in the same week? Had they lost to UCLA and beaten USC it seems like they would have had the same results in the polls and that just doesn't make any sense to me.

The Pac 10 does seem to be a very good conference this year, as opposed to the past couple of years where it would be a highly rated league in the RPI and in reality be crap. There's UCLA and Zona on top of course, but Oregon, USC, Washington, and Washington St. all seem like tourney teams that might do some damage.

:rolleyes:

Go against the norm, and don't be a Dook hater.

I think it should be a rule that all Duke fans have to root for them in football too. I know so many Duke b-ball fans who are Notre Dame football fans, and I want to kick them all in the balls.

Guest Princess Leena

I cheer for all bad college football teams (except FIU), so I'm covered!

The Pac 10 is loaded up top. I eally thought Oregon should've moved up a little bit after beating UCLA but thats what they get for not beating USC. Big game against Arizona next week. In other Pac 10 news former Kansas center C.J. Giles has transferred to Oregon State. They definitely need some help after losing by 45 to USC.

Buckeyes vs. Badgers in Madison tonight is probably the biggest regular season game for Wisco that I can remember. #3 vs #5, Big Ten matchup, couple first round draft picks on the court...should be good times.

That was a pretty good game between Wisconsin and Ohio State. The Badgers had control most of the game but they nearly blew it in the end. I was impressed with Wisconsin's D and they seem to be more athletic than past teams. They play extremely well at home. Taylor looked really good. The Buckeyes on the other hand, were not really in rhythm most of the game offensively as Oden was in foul trouble. Ohio State's gonna be real scary though cause they look like one of those teams that's gonna hit their stride at the end of the year.

This is the second top 5 team that Wisco has beaten so far. Also won at Marquette for the first time in years.

Buckeyes looked good during the comeback that came up a bit short.

Ohio St. has still yet to prove anything to me this year. Why are they ranked so highly, other than this perception that "they should be good." Losing by 26 to anyone at all, national champs included, is grounds for being heaved from the top 10.

OSU isn't even the best OSU. I'd say Oklahoma St. is better. We'll see what they do vs. Kansas tonight.

Ohio State (3 losses) remains ranked ahead of Oregon (16-1) after the Ducks beat UCLA and Arizona in the last week.

Guest Princess Leena

But, Greg Oden is really tall.

Why has MLK became show women's hoops day. Nobody wants to watch this shit.

Ohio St/Oden almost came back to beat the Badgers in Madison and followed that up with a win over Tennessee. They're not bad.

Tennessee would beat Ohio St. in either Knoxville or at a neutral site. It was in Columbus however so OSU got the very slight win.

Truth be told, there are a bunch of teams that are ranked right now that I don't think are that much. I'll review the latest AP poll for reference:

1 Florida 16-2 1761 2 (When these guys play to their potential, they are nearly impossible to beat.)

2 Wisconsin 17-1 1722 3 (One loss by 2 points, gotta say they've earned this spot though I can't see them in the FF for whatever reason.)

3 UCLA 15-1 1666 4 (I dunno, the Bruins keep barely winning but it might come back to bite them in the ass in March.)

4 North Carolina 15-2 1552 1 (Definite FF type team as long as they don't screw it up.)

5 Kansas 15-2 1527 6 (Why are they #5 after losing to Oral Roberts and DePaul? Their usual 1st/2nd round choker selves.)

6 Pittsburgh 16-2 1396 7 (Eh, the usual Sweet 16 type finish for them, no better or worse.)

7 Ohio State 14-3 1348 5 (If they improve they could make an Elite 8 type run, if not it's curtains if they run into an experienced team in the 2nd round.)

8 Texas A&M 15-2 1310 8 (They're just...whatever. Solid defense, but I can't see them scoring enough to make a major tourney run.)

9 Oregon 16-1 1204 15 (Wins over UCLA and Zona already, a definite dark horse for the Elite 8 or so.)

10 Alabama 14-2 1139 14 (You gotta be fucking kidding me, right?)

11 Arizona 13-3 997 10 (A bit of a mystery really...awesome RPI, but they have that vague choker vibe of past Zona teams.)

12 Oklahoma State 15-2 894 9 (They're pretty good. Probably won't be upset in the tourney, but will hit that usual Sweet 16 or Elite 8 glass ceiling.)

13 Air Force 17-1 786 18 (Only 1 loss, but it was to Duke so I have to wonder how for real they really are. Maybe a 2nd round team, or possible Sweet 16 if they're lucky.)

14 Duke 14-3 758 11 (This seriously could be a Duke team that is upset in the 1st round if they aren't in the friendly confines of NC. If they are...2nd round.)

15 Nevada 16-1 699 19 (Who knows with them...could make a decent Sweet 16 run, or could tank 1st round. Depends on Fazekas and his health.)

16 Louisiana State 12-4 658 13 (I'm surprised they are still this highly ranked since they haven't done a huge amount this season. Can't see them repeating the FF run to be honest.)

17 Memphis 13-3 642 20 (Get these guys out of my sight. 2nd round and done.)

18 Butler 15-2 620 12 (These guys are a very, very scary dark horse. Yes, they've struggled more in conf. but those teams know them well. Against unsuspecting major conf. teams they are a torment.)

19 Clemson 17-1 508 17 (They've been really good so far but I'd like to see more against top level ACC teams.)

20 Notre Dame 15-2 466 22 (Yeah, G'Town maimed them but otherwise the Irish have been terrific. Definite dark horse for the Elite 8.)

21 Texas 13-3 404 25 (Eh. Maybe Sweet 16 if fortunate.)

22 Tennessee 13-4 295 16 (If Lofton carries them, Sweet 16. If Lofton REALLY carries them, maybe more.)

23 Virginia Tech 13-4 250 - (Mystifying JTTS type team, if they even make the tourney it'd be as cannon fodder the 2nd round for a 1 seed.)

24 Marquette 15-4 185 - (I hate Marquette, so the hell with them. 1 and done.)

25 Kentucky 14-3 168 - (UK is a total mystery right now, they beat the teams they should be but can't beat anyone good. Maybe Sweet 16.)

Oklahoma St. beating Texas 105-103 in 3OT (on a whirling 3 by the center I believe) was easily the best game I've seen this year, and I only started watching towards the end of the 2nd half.

Ohio St/Oden almost came back to beat the Badgers in Madison and followed that up with a win over Tennessee. They're not bad.

No they're certainly not bad and at times they look great but they shouldn't be ahead of Oregon in this weeks rankings. If we're gonna play the almost game Oregon almost made 2 free throws to send the USC game to OT and is almost undefeated.