TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Styles

TSM Fantasy Baseball 2007

I'd have to see how something like that would work before commenting on it further, then. Initially, it just seems like the rosters would stay too static and bad teams wouldn't have a chance to improve because all the good players would be locked in for their entire careers, especially if they're players that got picked up on waivers when they were rookies.

All the bad teams have dibs on the waiver wire, so it would actually force commitment to paying attention to your team. Looking out for call ups and all that stuff. At the end it evens out because the better teams can't really pick up the next top prospect unless they get really lucky. And look at the top teams in the league right now. There's no given formula to what wins the most games. The top 4 teams have their teams built differently, so with this it lets you decide how to build a team and put even more thought to how you want to build your team. Like VG mentioned his team last year, i'd hate to see some of those players go because you can only keep four. With this it seems more like a baseball league, and you're more of a GM, which is cool. Plus the less people you keep, the more picks you have, and the bad teams have the first picks.

I think it'd be better to know before the trade deadline too. That's why i'm asking now.

Honestly, I do this for fun, not to worry about building a dynasty or anything. Coming back next year with half of the team the same to go into a draft where there are so many people kept you are going to the draft hoping to get an Aaron Hill in the first round (not a stretch considering he is currently ranked 123rd in Yahoo, while 160 players can be kept) doesn't seem fun to me. The draft is at least half the fun of fantasy leagues IMO.

If it's not for money. Than it should be for fun.

I don't necessarily like the idea of 8 keepers. However, it does force you to show some patience with your roster.

My choice would be a max of 6 keepers.

My choice would be a max of 6 keepers.

I would have to agree. 8 seems like a little much, but 5 or 6 would mean a round or two less of "OMG! THIS DRAFT IS GOING SO SLOW!" and "WILL WE FINISH THIS DRAFT BY THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON!?!" which would be a good thing, IMO.

Not that I care that much but I think finalizing how many keepers there will be is fairly important to decide before the trade deadline.

6 keepers..?

Duncan, Braun, Hart, Bedard, Nathan and ??

Then I have pains deciding over Guthrie or Willingham for the last spot. I was figuring on 4 and not being able to keep those two or Hart..

Also, I cant believe Im in 2nd place.

Eight is way too many. There's no way I could fill that requirement. I'd have to just keep some late round jobbers and just drop them after the draft was over.

Five or six has to be the absolute max with a minimum of four keepers required.

Krankor gave a very solid explanation for the trade. I agree it would seem more "kosher" if it was a 5 for 5 deal, but its been said that 4 of the players would just be dropped anyway. Also the fact that both teams are well out of contention means it has little bearing on this year's playoffs. I'm all for the free market (with a little checks and balances in this case), so I'll allow it to go through.

As for other topics, # of Keepers, Min. Innings Pitched and categories (namely holds) can all be addressed after the season. I understand though that # of Keepers could effect trading strategy before the deadline. SO, I will try to come to a consensus on that now. I agree expanding to 8 would be too much. You're basically holding out for rookies and 3rd tier players having big seasons at that point. I'd be willing to expand to 6 as a good solution. If anyone is against expanding to 6 and would like to keep it at 4 (or desperately feels we should expand to more than 6) just make your arguments in the thread.

I'd vote for 5 keepers, just with the idea of getting one more each year, and then maybe 6 the following season. If everyone wants to do 6 though, that's fine too.

My six keepers right know.

Mauer (3)

Utley (2)

Young (7)

Johnson (16)

Carmona (18)

Soria undrafted

Oswalt, and Francis are still possiblities.

The current 6 keepers for the Gotham Harlequins

- 1B/OF Michael Cuddyer (7 Pick)

- OF Ichiro Suzuki (1 Pick)

- 1B/3B/OF Kevin Youkilis (8 Pick)

- SS Carlos Guillen (9 Keeper)

- SP C.C. Sabathia (3 Pick)

- SP Carlos Zambrano (2 Keeper)

Current Keepers:

David Ortiz

David Wright

Grady Sizemore

Jeremy Bonderman

Philip Hughes

Jonathan Papelbon

Subject to change!

I have no clue who I want to keep, especially on the offensive side.

Anyone want to make some trades? Pretty much anyone on my team is available.

Likely keepers at the moment:

Johan Santana

Jake Peavy

Kelvim Escobar

Hanley Ramirez

Alex Rios

Curtis Granderson

Not keeping Alex Gordon will be hard though. If someone is looking for potential keepers Gordon (and everyone else outside that 6) is available, i can afford to give up a future star like Gordon if it can help me win this year.

My keepers are

Howard, Hafner, Hudson, Cabrera, Verlander and _________.

I'd like to trade Garko to fill this blank, as I can't keep 3 1st basemen. Looking for a player that can net me some steals.

I'm really at a loss for keepers. Hunter Pence is the only lock at this point. Maybe Oliver Perez. I'd keep Okajima if they'd make him the closer for next year, but I doubt that'd happen, and I'm not keeping a guy just for holds.

I agree with Krankor's idea of a minimum of four keepers and a maximum of 6. You should be able to turn your team over more or less than others if you so choose.

Scratch what I said, don't send me offers for Garko. I'll trade Hafner if I can get a definite keeper. If not, he'll go into the draft and the worst team will probably pick him. I would be retarded to trade an undrafted guy with a .911 OPS for junk.

I would prefer if this trade went through as quickly as possible so that I don't log in on Monday and see that I have an empty roster spot due to the trade going in right at the deadline.

If nothing else, I still cant believe Im in first place.

Anyway...

Keepers

Joe Nathan Round 2

Erik Bedard Round 4

Chris Duncan Round 11

Ryan Braun (Undrafted)

Corey Hart (Undrafted)

Brian McCann (Keeper from last year)

Took Out Guthrie..Im not sold on him much any more..sigh

It took the majority of the year, but Travis Hafner finally fills the black hole of suck i've had at 1st Base all year. Now i just need Ian Kinsler back and Jarrod Saltalamacchia to be traded to Texas so i can dump Bengie Molina and my offence will be looking good.

And the trade got pushed through at 8 so I didn't have time to change my lineup. Fuck.

Finally, my team's making a late-season push. I had my two best weeks of the season the last two weeks, beating what was a Top 3 team in John Galt Express 7-2, and then hammering the top team in the league (Team Canada) 12-0. It's going to be tough with so little time left, but I think I've got a legitimate shot to steal the last playoff spot.